Community Forum

Why does Xfinity Stream use Flash?

Highlighted
Contributor

Why does Xfinity Stream use Flash?

Why do i have to install Flash on my computer to use Xfinity Stream? Flash? Flash?!?! This is 2018, why are we still using Flash? Flash has been a pain in everyone's side for years, even Adobe, and has been a known attack vector for viruses, trojans, and the like, not to mention its resource hungry design. I have a brand new iMac Pro and am unable to use Stream in Safari without installing it? Why?

Per the Adobe Blog last year : "Adobe is planning to end-of-life Flash. Specifically, we will stop updating and distributing the Flash Player at the end of 2020 and encourage content creators to migrate any existing Flash content to these new open formats." They've stopped development since 2016 and are just patching until they kill it all together. 

 

So, what are my options for using this service on my Mac that dont require me to install a resource intensive, End of Lifed, attack vector? When is the new Flash-free version launching?

Expert

Re: Why does Xfinity Stream use Flash?


@TheGoodalls wrote:

Why do i have to install Flash on my computer to use Xfinity Stream? Flash? Flash?!?! This is 2018, why are we still using Flash? Flash has been a pain in everyone's side for years, even Adobe, and has been a known attack vector for viruses, trojans, and the like, not to mention its resource hungry design. I have a brand new iMac Pro and am unable to use Stream in Safari without installing it? Why?

Per the Adobe Blog last year : "Adobe is planning to end-of-life Flash. Specifically, we will stop updating and distributing the Flash Player at the end of 2020 and encourage content creators to migrate any existing Flash content to these new open formats." They've stopped development since 2016 and are just patching until they kill it all together. 

 

So, what are my options for using this service on my Mac that dont require me to install a resource intensive, End of Lifed, attack vector? When is the new Flash-free version launching?


since you have such strong feelings and beliefs you might try using the Chrome browser as it has built-in sandboxed flash. At the current time Xfinity and the providers have agreed to use adobe to perform the DRM/HDCP verifications. 



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

Re: Why does Xfinity Stream use Flash?


@Rustyben wrote:

@TheGoodalls wrote:

Why do i have to install Flash on my computer to use Xfinity Stream? Flash? Flash?!?! This is 2018, why are we still using Flash? Flash has been a pain in everyone's side for years, even Adobe, and has been a known attack vector for viruses, trojans, and the like, not to mention its resource hungry design. I have a brand new iMac Pro and am unable to use Stream in Safari without installing it? Why?

Per the Adobe Blog last year : "Adobe is planning to end-of-life Flash. Specifically, we will stop updating and distributing the Flash Player at the end of 2020 and encourage content creators to migrate any existing Flash content to these new open formats." They've stopped development since 2016 and are just patching until they kill it all together. 

 

So, what are my options for using this service on my Mac that dont require me to install a resource intensive, End of Lifed, attack vector? When is the new Flash-free version launching?


since you have such strong feelings and beliefs you might try using the Chrome browser as it has built-in sandboxed flash. At the current time Xfinity and the providers have agreed to use adobe to perform the DRM/HDCP verifications. 


LOL! "... such strong feelings and beliefs " Wow! I post and link directly from Adobe advising that they are EOL'ng what has been a PITA for them and its my "...strong feelings and beliefs"? LOL! Ok friend, thanks. Of the other providers providing streaming services and auth services via Adobe, none of them rely on Flash. AppleTV, PSN, Roku, Netflix, Hulu, etc, but thanks for the heads up on Chrome. You know why Flash runs sandboxed in Chrome? Per the Chrome blog, back in 2010, "
This initial Flash Player sandbox is an important milestone in making Chrome even safer. In particular, users of Windows XP will see a major security benefit, as Chrome is currently the only browser on the XP platform that runs Flash Player in a sandbox. This first iteration of Chrome’s Flash Player sandbox for all Windows platforms uses a modified version of Chrome’s existing sandbox technology that protects certain sensitive resources from being accessed by malicious code, while allowing applications to use less sensitive ones. This implementation is a significant first step in further reducing the potential attack surface of the browser and protecting users against common malware. " I guess Google and their devs had strong feelings and beliefs back on 2010 too huh? LOL!


New Poster

Re: Why does Xfinity Stream use Flash?

Saying "Use chrome" and HDCP is a bit too apologist. Flash should be righttfully dead. Netflix and Amazon can both provide the HDCP (etc) protections content providers demand without requiring Flash, and have been doing so for years. To be forced to install another attack surface is antithetical to modern computer security.

Expert

Re: Why does Xfinity Stream use Flash?


@alttag wrote:

Saying "Use chrome" and HDCP is a bit too apologist. Flash should be righttfully dead. Netflix and Amazon can both provide the HDCP (etc) protections content providers demand without requiring Flash, and have been doing so for years. To be forced to install another attack surface is antithetical to modern computer security.


chrome does not allow installation of flash extension to its browser. Chrome imbeds its own custom flash into the product which is in its own memory sandbox and has no attack vector. We've been hearing for a very long time that flash was to be phased out.



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!