Community Forum

WE WANT NETFLIX SUPER HD

Regular Contributor

Re: WE WANT NETFLIX SUPER HD

Netflix’s January speed results are in. Out of 17 ISPs surveyed in the US, Comcast continues to fall 4th from the bottom. Out of 13 international countries surveyed, Comcast’s average speed is slower than the average speed of all of them – dead last. Check out the rankings… 

http://ispspeedindex.netflix.com/

New Poster

Yep, so sick of this garbage from Comcast.  They biggest reason to have cable internet over high-speed dial-up or mobile hotspots is being able to stream video and no data limits.  But if we can't stream NetFlix, the biggest source of streaming video and the biggest source of data use, I don't see the point anymore.  I am so sick of paying through the nose for terrible service. We are considering dropping comcast all together.

New Poster

What do you mean by this:  WChillman wrote .....' Even with heavy HD TV viewing, we never go over 200 GB/month'...?  Does the 200 GB per month have to do with the amount of tv shows or movies you watch?  Do the shows/movies have to be downloaded to watch?  Does this have to do with if you want to store them?    If so, can you watch them without storing them?  I just don't understand this.

Regular Contributor

The shows are not downloaded, they are streamed off the internet from services like Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, Vudu, and others which takes up bandwidth. This bandwidth usage for us has always fallen under 200 gb per month. Comcast has currently suspended their limit as to internet usage [it used to 250 gb per month] but I hear that they probably will move it up to 300 gb cap per month. You used to be able to track your usage on the Comcast site but that isn't working right now.

New Poster

Is there a way of knowing how much bandwidth you are using when streaming a tv show or movie?  If not, how can we possibly know how much we stream?  What do people use as a guide, if you know.

Regular Contributor

Regular Contributor

New Poster

Yes, that is perfect.  Thank you so much.  I have had Comcast internet forever and never knew anything about bandwidth at all or the ussage of it.  I don't think I have streamed anything before or yet.

Regular Contributor

Netflix’s February speed results are in. Out of 16 major ISPs surveyed in the US, Comcast falls 6th from the bottom. If you look at the expanded list of 60 ISPs, Comcast falls 10th from the bottom. Out of 13 international countries surveyed, Comcast’s average speed ranks 2nd from the bottom. I just can’t believe we pay a premium for this service. Check out the rankings… 

Frequent Visitor

I'm no expert.

All i can say is do not waste your money on high end tv's ($5'000+) when all the feeds are terrible.

It's like having a ferrari, but no quality fuel to feed the engine with.

1080p looks good on blu ray, nothing else.

What I am trying to say, is do not waste your money on really expensive tv's (4k or Oled) because Comcast, Apple tv, and Netflix, simply are not good enough to give an excellent picture.

In times of High traffic, Netflix drops to 480 p  sometimes.

Although expensive tv's do an mazing job at upscaling (Sony, Samsung 4k + Oppo BD player), there's nothing they can achieve if we continue to feed them with a carp signal.

A normal antenna looks so much better than Comcast, Apple or Netflix...

Regular Visitor

I am having problems with my bill. They lowered the bill from $215.00. with only one movie channel to $160.00. for last month. They raised it again to $182.00. I asked to speak to managment and they hung up on me. I called back 4 times and was disconnected. Does this Netflix super Hd include movie channels, and does it include internet? I can find a subscriber for my land line at a much cheaper price. I need help with this. It was once mentioned to me by someone, then at a later date, I mentioned Netflix, whhich I am paying for in my bill, and I subscribe to nexflix anyway, so I thought I would save money by getting their nexflix, and they acted like they didn't have it. Please take me through the steps so I can get the $49.95 per month comcast and netflix too. We are on a limited income as well.

Thanks

Help needed!

Regular Visitor

Don't know how to stream! need help!

Regular Visitor

I don't understand the streaming either and need help, who can help us with that to get the absoulte truth!!!

Regular Visitor

Is the streaming on your computer or can you stream to your TV ?

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

BassSong2-

You can stream a lot of content to your TV as well as your computer, if you choose. We prefer the TV as it is more of a “communal” experience for us.  Performance Starter is Comcast’s internet speed tier to which you add a streaming device to get the TV. You do not need any other services from Comcast, although they will try their hardest to convince you otherwise. Netflix has so much content that we never miss Comcast’s “movie channels”. We have all the devices I mentioned but I would recommend starting with the Roku as it has over 1,000 channels. It would be a good idea to purchase one of these and explore their channels. Also, Google “Roku” and you learn a lot about what they offer. Netflix will cost you about $8/month which is an incredible deal compared to what you pay Comcast. This will take some research on your part but will be well worth it.

Frequent Visitor

he sounds like a netflix salesman

Regular Contributor

Netflix’s March speed results are in. Out of 60 ISPs surveyed in the US, Comcast improved its ranking to number to 28 which is slightly above average. Internationally, in terms of average speed, Comcast’s falls above Jamaica, Mexico, Latin and South America but below Europe. And we pay a premium for this service. 

Check out the rankings… 

Diamond Problem Solver
Moved:

ATTENTION 

Your post was removed to a secure area out of public view because it violates forum posting guidelines.

Forum Guidelines state >>> clickable link http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Forum-Guidelines/Posting-Guidelines/td-p/866289 which everyone should read BEFORE making a first post

Please don't;

Post personal information in the forums

Please do your best to keep your identity and personal information safe. This includes:

Your full name
Your telephone number
Your Physical/Mailing Address
Email addresses
Credit Card numbers
Account numbers
Modem MAC addresses
Other personally identifiable information

Here is your post with the information removed;

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-Website/WE-WANT-NETFLIX-SUPER-HD/m-p/2147566#M32788

Hi,

Loved your article. Am having a battle over price with Comcast. Tell me, in detail ,in an email if you will,as to just how your idea works. What do I need to get to make it work ? Who can connect whatever I need. I am not hi tech. My email address is XXXXXXXXXXX

Thanks a bunch

Don

Regular Contributor

Hi Don,

I am not hi-tech either but was motivated to figure this out as I hate being taken advantage of by Comcast or any corporation, for that matter. This started about two years ago when we retired as I was looking at both my bill from Comcast as well as Verizon and was determined not to continue to be bilked by either of them. We solved the Verizon problem with Republic Wireless and, again, one of my fondest memories was when I ported our phone numbers out of Verizon to Republic Wireless. Comcast, however, really doesn’t have a competitor in our area, so we were stuck with them.  I researched about streaming video through the internet and bought a Roku. That is what I would recommend for anybody who wants to start streaming video over the internet. Roku has a website that you should get familiar with as well as a very helpful forum. After you purchase a Roku that is right for you situation, connect it to your router by an ethernet cable (or wirelessly but hardwired is better), then connect the Roku to your TV, and try it out. First thing we bought was a Netflix subscription. BTW, Roku has over 1,000 channels but we only watch a handful or so with Netflix being one of them. Just added Amazon Prime as later this month they will be adding older HBO shows to their streaming catalogue. Best in-depth news we’ve ever had. Streaming is a weird experience at first if all you know is regular TV with commercials but we have never looked back and will never purchase an overpriced Comcast plan again. If you like the way it all works, the next step would be to reduce your service from Comcast to just Performance Starter.

Bronze Problem Solver

Agree 100% Roku boxes are the best thing since sliced bread. Just be carfull when the data caps are enforced again. 300 GB a month is not that much when you stream HD every day. Trust me i know. Smiley Happy

Regular Contributor

Hi Jim721-

We are only a single video stream household and do no gaming or downing of files. As such, we have never gone over 200 GB/month and we stream quite a bit of HD video. Can I assume that your are a multiple stream household or have gamers in your family or download big files? Just wondering why your numbers are so high.

Bronze Problem Solver

wchillman wrote:

Hi Jim721-

We are only a single video stream household and do no gaming or downing of files. As such, we have never gone over 200 GB/month and we stream quite a bit of HD video. Can I assume that your are a multiple stream household or have gamers in your family or download big files? Just wondering why your numbers are so high.

No we dont do any gaming at all. However multiple computers 3 Roku boxes many phones and tablets. You get the idea. There are more then a few times that 2 roku boxes are streaming full HD at the same time on top of that computers and tablets are online as well.