Community Forum

Voice Description Does NOT Turn Off On Computer

New Poster

Voice Description Does NOT Turn Off On Computer

I was watching a show on my laptop, streaming Live TV. I did not press anything but suddenly the voice description comes on. It is louder than the actual program and is driving me absolutely crazy. On the laptop settings, it can only be toggled off pressing "V" in full screen... EXCEPT THAT IT DOESN'T. No matter how many times I try pressing it, it comes on and ruins my program.

Official Employee

Re: Voice Description Does NOT Turn Off On Computer

Hello User820, do you only have this issue when you stream content on your computer? When you say "voice description" is the computer reading a document or is the computer saying the words that your program is saying? 

Contributor

A voice describes what is happening on screen. I cannot turn the voice off. It is annoying and interferes with my hearing the actual dialogue.

Frequent Visitor

@jelendall wrote:

A voice describes what is happening on screen. I cannot turn the voice off. It is annoying and interferes with my hearing the actual dialogue.

this is happening to me as well.  I am also on lap top

Expert

with your voice remove say the letters S A P    the screen will show a circle saying 'off'' repeat until the circle says 'off'.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here(updated).
Contributor

Rustyben offered this remedy: "with your voice remove say the letters S A P    the screen will show a circle saying 'off'' repeat until the circle says 'off'."

++ I guess I would seem rude to Rustyben if I replied to him, indignantly: "Well, that's stupid!"

I don't have a microphone attached to the computer. (It is not a laptop, as someone erroneously inferred.)

It recalls a scene in the Star Trek movie, "The Voyage Home," where Scotty attempts to control a 20th century computer by talking to it and is instructed to use a mouse instead, then tries to talk into the mouse. If you are not Montgomery Scott, I guess anyone with a keyboard can call themselves an "Xfinity Forum Expert."

++ I tried using the gear-shaped settings icon, where the accessibility controls indicated the video description was already OFF. But the streamed show continued the video description. I exited Xfinity and went to the broadcaster's web site to watch the show ... and insufferably numerous commercials.

Expert

@jelendall wrote:

Rustyben offered this remedy: "with your voice remove say the letters S A P    the screen will show a circle saying 'off'' repeat until the circle says 'off'."

++ I guess I would seem rude to Rustyben if I replied to him, indignantly: "Well, that's stupid!"

I don't have a microphone attached to the computer. (It is not a laptop, as someone erroneously inferred.)

It recalls a scene in the Star Trek movie, "The Voyage Home," where Scotty attempts to control a 20th century computer by talking to it and is instructed to use a mouse instead, then tries to talk into the mouse. If you are not Montgomery Scott, I guess anyone with a keyboard can call themselves an "Xfinity Forum Expert."

++ I tried using the gear-shaped settings icon, where the accessibility controls indicated the video description was already OFF. But the streamed show continued the video description. I exited Xfinity and went to the broadcaster's web site to watch the show ... and insufferably numerous commercials.

thought you were asking about your x1 set top box. on the PC while watching a program touch the icon to the left of the gear (cursor will need to move to make icon visible). then turn off video description as well as secondary audio. worked? edit: Control V works too.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here(updated).
Contributor

@Rustyben wrote:

@jelendall wrote:

thought you were asking about your x1 set top box. on the PC while watching a program touch the icon to the left of the gear (cursor will need to move to make icon visible). then turn off video description as well as secondary audio. worked? edit: Control V works too.

The reason I had originally contacted Xfinity support was that I had already tried the suggestions above (including CTRL-V) and the problem persisted, even when using a different computer. A day later, I used Xfinity again for streaming and the video commentary was thankfully not present.  Using Xfinity for streaming online content has become an exercise in increased frustration and a reliance in magical thinking for solving problems. (See service report CR7627204917, still unresolved)

You can stop replying to this complaint about Video Description problems.