Community Forum

To watch <channel>, you'll need to connect to your home WiFi

Frequent Visitor

To watch <channel>, you'll need to connect to your home WiFi

"To watch <channel>, you'll need to connect to your home WiFi." 
Several days ago, without me changing any of my system equipment or software, Xfinity Stream website stopped allowing access to several local network channels (ABC, CBS, MPT are three examples).  Since the inception of Xfinity Stream I have been able to watch these channels, as well as others in my package, in my home using Xfinity Stream from my computer and from my iPhone and iPad.

I am using a Mac Pro 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon with 16 GB Ram, OS X 10.10.2.  The Mac Pro is connected via ethernet to the Cable Modem. Modem is personally owned Netgear Nighthawk C7100V.  Default browser is Firefox 56.0.2 (64-bit), Flash is 27.0.0.187.  My wifi is local only and is protected with an Apple Airport Extreme connected to the system in bridge mode. This system has been stable for many months and Xfinity Stream had been working as it was intended.  

After doing all the usual resets multiple times and researching similar issues on various forums I instituted a “last resort” call to Comcast.  I spoke for a long time with a nice lady who, among other failings, insisted that there is no difference between Xfinity Go and Xfinity Stream and that if one wasn’t working the other was the one I was supposed to use. She was very pleasant though.  Finally, she wrote up a ticket but gave me no idea what that meant to me.

Twenty four hours later I received a call from someone who had been assigned the ticket. He would ask a question and I would answer in clear and specific detail with the symptoms I was experiencing.  Then he would read off his script and ask me to describe what I had just painstakingly conveyed.  Finally he asked if I would mind being on hold for three minutes while he checked “something”.
I said I didn’t mind holding.  I knew his request had probably rung the death knell to the phone consult.  Many of the forum writers warned about this issue and complained that they experienced hang ups far into their calls.  Sure enough, several minutes into my hold time I heard three sets of two clicks and the phone transitioned into the rapid busy signal that signifies a disconnect.

I foolishly waited another hour to be called back but of course nothing.  I mean, he had called me so I know he had my number.  I had told him I would wait for him on hold.  He should have called back. Throughout the conversation he was very pleasant though and kept assuring me Comcast wanted to resolve my problem.

I have since updated Firefox and Flash, turned off my wifi, rebooted my system, reinitialized my modem, and removed all my Comcast and Xfinity cookies, all to no avail. Then I restored the system back to what it had been before the problem started.  But, no improvement.

Somehow, Comcast has changed something and thinks my bridge moded wifi is no longer in my home but rather some out of home wifi.  And, none of this should matter to accessing the XfinityStream website from my ethernet connected computer.

I hate to think Comcast is using some kind of Wells Fargo tatic on my account.  I wouldn't say this except twice in the past they have overridden the fact of my personally owned modem and tried to charge me a monthly fee for one of their modems.  The first time it went several months before I noticed and their first response was I should look at my bill closely every month.  That was good advice - the second time I caught it right away.

Can someone who knows something about this issue and cares please, please help?  Thank you.

Expert

Re: To watch <channel>, you'll need to connect to your home WiFi

@Guidar wrote:

"To watch <channel>, you'll need to connect to your home WiFi." 
Several days ago, without me changing any of my system equipment or software, Xfinity Stream website stopped allowing access to several local network channels (ABC, CBS, MPT are three examples).  Since the inception of Xfinity Stream I have been able to watch these channels, as well as others in my package, in my home using Xfinity Stream from my computer and from my iPhone and iPad.

I am using a Mac Pro 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon with 16 GB Ram, OS X 10.10.2.  The Mac Pro is connected via ethernet to the Cable Modem. Modem is personally owned Netgear Nighthawk C7100V.  Default browser is Firefox 56.0.2 (64-bit), Flash is 27.0.0.187.  My wifi is local only and is protected with an Apple Airport Extreme connected to the system in bridge mode. This system has been stable for many months and Xfinity Stream had been working as it was intended.  

After doing all the usual resets multiple times and researching similar issues on various forums I instituted a “last resort” call to Comcast.  I spoke for a long time with a nice lady who, among other failings, insisted that there is no difference between Xfinity Go and Xfinity Stream and that if one wasn’t working the other was the one I was supposed to use. She was very pleasant though.  Finally, she wrote up a ticket but gave me no idea what that meant to me.

Twenty four hours later I received a call from someone who had been assigned the ticket. He would ask a question and I would answer in clear and specific detail with the symptoms I was experiencing.  Then he would read off his script and ask me to describe what I had just painstakingly conveyed.  Finally he asked if I would mind being on hold for three minutes while he checked “something”.
I said I didn’t mind holding.  I knew his request had probably rung the death knell to the phone consult.  Many of the forum writers warned about this issue and complained that they experienced hang ups far into their calls.  Sure enough, several minutes into my hold time I heard three sets of two clicks and the phone transitioned into the rapid busy signal that signifies a disconnect.

I foolishly waited another hour to be called back but of course nothing.  I mean, he had called me so I know he had my number.  I had told him I would wait for him on hold.  He should have called back. Throughout the conversation he was very pleasant though and kept assuring me Comcast wanted to resolve my problem.

I have since updated Firefox and Flash, turned off my wifi, rebooted my system, reinitialized my modem, and removed all my Comcast and Xfinity cookies, all to no avail. Then I restored the system back to what it had been before the problem started.  But, no improvement.

Somehow, Comcast has changed something and thinks my bridge moded wifi is no longer in my home but rather some out of home wifi.  And, none of this should matter to accessing the XfinityStream website from my ethernet connected computer.

I hate to think Comcast is using some kind of Wells Fargo tatic on my account.  I wouldn't say this except twice in the past they have overridden the fact of my personally owned modem and tried to charge me a monthly fee for one of their modems.  The first time it went several months before I noticed and their first response was I should look at my bill closely every month.  That was good advice - the second time I caught it right away.

Can someone who knows something about this issue and cares please, please help?  Thank you.

do you rent a Comcast modem? have you verified that the modem in use HFC MAC address is listed exactly in the my account app after selecting internet and the modem icon using the Xfinity my account app on a smart device?

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.
Frequent Visitor

As stated above, I use my own Netgear Nighthawk C7100V Modem.  It is an AC1900 Cable Modem Voice Router and is DOCSIS 3.0 24 DS 8 US Rated Router Cleared with Comcast.

The Modem is correctly identified in the account app to which you refer as a Voice and Data Modem Netgear C7100V.  The only possible descrepancy is that they show the correct CM (i.e. HFC) MAC Address but label it as a Serial #.

Intrestingly that page also shows a MOTO SB6121 which I owned and used many years ago.  There is the following notation attached to both modems, "We cannot display your network name and password because you are using an unsupported XFINITY or personal device."

I should remind that NONE of this has changed since all was working properly three days ago and before.

Frequent Visitor

Sorry, In my frustration with this issue I forgot to say thanks for your input.

Guidar

Expert

I have escalated your issue to the Comcast Team available to these forums. Check back often for a reply in this thread from a Comcast Official Employee.

that has to be fixed, the escalation team will figure it out. once ou have one modem the in-home streaming will work again.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.
Official Employee

Guidar, thanks for posting here. I'd be happy to take a look at your "Not in home" message you've been seeing. Please send me a private message with your full name, residential account number and address for help.

Official Employee

Guidar, glad I was able to resolve this for you. Post again if you need anything else.