Community Forum

Support Linux Now!

Frequent Visitor

Re: Support Linux Now!

I hate to say it this way, @ComcastDan, <edited for violating froum guidelines>

These days, the browsers handle all that.  Linux runs stock Chrome, Firefox, and Safari.  All three browsers use either HTML5 or Flash to do this.  It's not an OS thing, at least not anymore.

I can log into any channel WWW site (ESPN, TNT, USA, etc.) using my Xfinity credentials and watch their streams on my Linux desktop.  I can also use Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime video.  These are all large media businesses like yours, and if they were that concerned Linux's support of DRM, they would shut it off as well.  So I'm just not buying it.

Join the 21st century!  Please support Linux!

@ComcastDan wrote:

It isn't that we "prevent it" it is that we are unable to support it because of existing Digital Rights Management systems that are incompatible with Linux.  Also, before switching to another provider, I'd double check that they actually do support Linux.

New Poster

Well that was also one of my objection to their new website. I mean they used flash which is well known for serious security issues. Why design and implement a new website using unsafe technology that has pretty much reached eol. I forget when the last security patch is scheduled (2019?) but they really should have used html5 or something else. Anyway maybe they are working on a more modern technology that will support linux and at least alternative like amazon work fine with linux for streaming.
Regular Visitor

Adobe Flash must die...until it does, I don't think there is any chance we will get to stream Xfinity on Linux.

Does anyone in this thread use a Chromebook? I tried this method for streaming Xfinity that involves using a Chromebook image, but have not been able to make it work. I'd like to know if Xfinity works on a native chrome os.

EDIT: I just read the post from sbennett372 that says streaming tv does work on Chromebook. Might have to try it again.

Expert

@vanryn wrote:

Adobe Flash must die...until it does, I don't think there is any chance we will get to stream Xfinity on Linux.

Does anyone in this thread use a Chromebook? I tried this method for streaming Xfinity that involves using a Chromebook image, but have not been able to make it work. I'd like to know if Xfinity works on a native chrome os.

EDIT: I just read the post from sbennett372 that says streaming tv does work on Chromebook. Might have to try it again.

works well on an up-to-date software chromebook. you can even add the android version of the stream tv app but it seems to be a little sluggish compared to the streaming website.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Support Linux Now!

It really is shabby treatment of 20 to 22 percent of Xfinity customers. Full payment is required but, we get partial service when Linux is not supported. You can't tell me they can't afford it. Xfinity gets between 150 and 300 a month from their customers.

Crapfinity.png
Frequent Visitor

Yeah...

I'm running a dedicated Windows 10 machine now just so that I can stream TV in my home office without adding another TV + $5/month descrambler ripoff scheme combo.  I could watch in a window on my main machine but that is an Ubuntu machine.

One of the only reasons Windows is so 'popular' is because 1) HW manufacturers ship a lot of machines with Windows, and 2) some app developers won't support LINUX. 

As the Windows OS become less and less reliable with each update, I expect more and more manufacturers and users to adopt LINUX.  A lot of folks I know are setting up cheap LINUX media machines and once they realize they can't stream XFINITY services, they drop XFINITY TV services and just sub to video services that support LINUX, and almost all services do support LINUX these days, so it's really not much of a problem.

If XFINITY is worried about the cable cutting trend, they should put their energy into supporting LINUX instead of putting energy into making lame excuses for their streaming platform selection being outmoded.

Contributor

@vanryn wrote:

Sorry Vanryn, Chrome O/S is linux Based. You're in teh same boat as us.

Contributor

@sbennett372 wrote:

I hate to say it this way, @ComcastDan, <edited for violating froum guidelines>

These days, the browsers handle all that.  Linux runs stock Chrome, Firefox, and Safari.  All three browsers use either HTML5 or Flash to do this.  It's not an OS thing, at least not anymore.

Rejoice...Ubuntu & Mint now get Opera if you want it as well. 
(sidenote to comcast: Gee Seems like Linux the OS you accused of being a 'Hacker' OS only now supports ALL MNajor Browsers. I can even get Internet Explorer with a good copy of WINE.)
Contributor

@Tradesmaster wrote:

It really is shabby treatment of 20 to 22 percent of Xfinity customers. Full payment is required but, we get partial service when Linux is not supported. You can't tell me they can't afford it. Xfinity gets between 150 and 300 a month from their customers.

If you go back through my posts, you'll find my adventures in Comcast land, where even the Executive offices told me that they refuse to support an open source OS because it is unsecure and only used by Hackers. (I'm still waiting for an appology for that attempted assasination of my character.

(FYI Love the Firefox Theme)

Contributor

@_G_G_G_ wrote:

Yeah...

I'm running a dedicated Windows 10 machine now just so that I can stream TV in my home office without adding another TV + $5/month descrambler ripoff scheme combo.  I could watch in a window on my main machine but that is an Ubuntu machine.

One of the only reasons Windows is so 'popular' is because 1) HW manufacturers ship a lot of machines with Windows, and 2) some app developers won't support LINUX. 

As the Windows OS become less and less reliable with each update, I expect more and more manufacturers and users to adopt LINUX.  A lot of folks I know are setting up cheap LINUX media machines and once they realize they can't stream XFINITY services, they drop XFINITY TV services and just sub to video services that support LINUX, and almost all services do support LINUX these days, so it's really not much of a problem.

If XFINITY is worried about the cable cutting trend, they should put their energy into supporting LINUX instead of putting energy into making lame excuses for their streaming platform selection being outmoded.

You'd be surprised (or maybe not) how powerful a media center you can create with a Rapsberry Pi, an 8gb SD Card, a 4TB WD My Book, and a copy of Plex Server.

Anything ROku can do PLex can do better (Except run Xfinity Stream) But for $25 a month you can get Sling Orange with a 5GB Cloud DVR.

Expert

@dreichlin411 wrote:

@vanryn wrote:

Sorry Vanryn, Chrome O/S is linux Based. You're in teh same boat as us.

stream works fine on my inexpensive chromebook. the 'smart device' app stream TV on same chromebook is choppy. web page plays perfectly.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

@Rustyben - help me out here.  I'm getting a bad cognitive dissonance headache from that last statement.

XFINITY claims they will not LINUX.

Chromebooks are LINUX based.

You say 'web page plays perfectly' on your Chromebook.

I don't really have the time to check that out at the moment, but how are you getting the web stream to play on a LINUX based ChromeOS device if XFINITY does not support LINUX?  

If LINUX based ChromeOS can run XFINITY web streams, it's a microstep to support LINUX on hardware other than Chromebooks.  Why is XFINITY refusing to take that step?  Are they locked into some contract that forces them not to support LINUX?

Expert

@_G_G_G_ wrote:

@Rustyben - help me out here.  I'm getting a bad cognitive dissonance headache from that last statement.

XFINITY claims they will not LINUX.

Chromebooks are LINUX based.

You say 'web page plays perfectly' on your Chromebook.

I don't really have the time to check that out at the moment, but how are you getting the web stream to play on a LINUX based ChromeOS device if XFINITY does not support LINUX?  

If LINUX based ChromeOS can run XFINITY web streams, it's a microstep to support LINUX on hardware other than Chromebooks.  Why is XFINITY refusing to take that step?  Are they locked into some contract that forces them not to support LINUX?

apparently the security of the chromebook current version and their Chrome browser is accepted. the google store app Xfinity Stream TV also works although to me it is not as good a video as is the web page on the Chromebook.  brand is TEQNIO and it did not work new out of the box but after all firmware/software updates it works great. Wife has an older Chromebook and it works fine on the Xfinity Stream TV site too. does the linux version of Chrome have access to adobe flash? it is required to do the HDCP security verification.

Contributor

@Rustyben wrote:

apparently the security of the chromebook current version and their Chrome browser is accepted. the google store app Xfinity Stream TV also works although to me it is not as good a video as is the web page on the Chromebook.  brand is TEQNIO and it did not work new out of the box but after all firmware/software updates it works great. Wife has an older Chromebook and it works fine on the Xfinity Stream TV site too. does the linux version of Chrome have access to adobe flash? it is required to do the HDCP security verification.

I have Flash in both Chrome and Firefox.  It makes no difference, except that the error screen comes up faster when Flash is enabled as opposed to when Flash is disabled. Xfintiy is the only site I have issue with.  

The Problem is Comcast. As I've Mentioned before,  I very easily and regularly, strewam CBS All Access through Chrome,  ABC, NBC, THE CW, CNN, NHK World, I play Hulu and Netflix, SYFY Wire, HBO GO,  BBC America.  I can stream content from each individual channel if I go to their site, I just can't use Xfinity Stream and have them all in one place.  THat makes me wonder why I both to stay on Xfinity.

Expert

@dreichlin411 wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

I have Flash in both Chrome and Firefox.  It makes no difference, except that the error screen comes up faster when Flash is enabled as opposed to when Flash is disabled. Xfintiy is the only site I have issue with.  

The Problem is Comcast. As I've Mentioned before,  I very easily and regularly, strewam CBS All Access through Chrome,  ABC, NBC, THE CW, CNN, NHK World, I play Hulu and Netflix, SYFY Wire, HBO GO,  BBC America.  I can stream content from each individual channel if I go to their site, I just can't use Xfinity Stream and have them all in one place.  THat makes me wonder why I both to stay on Xfinity.

apparently the Chrome browser and adobe DRM manager (flash) can't prove trust and 'control'. You might want to ask on a public Chrome forum to see if the coders can research why DRM fails on *nix and not the Chromebook. Comcast has never stated that they were trusting *nix flavors.

New Poster

With regards to drm of comcast vs cbs access or similar is probably contractual. Comcast contracts probably require drm in some cases. Having said that my issue is that comcast chooses to block the website on linux rather they should allow access and only block those streams that require drm. Most of the channels on comcast do not have a drm requirement only a few. At the very min they should allow the tv guide to show. PIA that i can't view the guide because of a lazy implementation.
Contributor

apparently the Chrome browser and adobe DRM manager (flash) can't prove trust and 'control'. You might want to ask on a public Chrome forum to see if the coders can research why DRM fails on *nix and not the Chromebook. Comcast has never stated that they were trusting *nix flavors.

Are you sure you aren't a Comcast Employee? You certainly sound like one.  Must be the Customer's Equipment or his own Error that is the issue here, right?  Wrong. Been through this with many actual Comcast Personnel. it isn't that I can try to watch a show and am suddenly dropped. teh Issue is that I type; https://www.xfinity.com/stream/ into the address line, and as soon as Enter is hit, I get the refusal screen, Can't even get to the site. It is an intentional refusal of service by Comacast/Xfinity.

Contributor

@noone6 wrote:
With regards to drm of comcast vs cbs access or similar is probably contractual. Comcast contracts probably require drm in some cases. Having said that my issue is that comcast chooses to block the website on linux rather they should allow access and only block those streams that require drm. Most of the channels on comcast do not have a drm requirement only a few. At the very min they should allow the tv guide to show. PIA that i can't view the guide because of a lazy implementation.

CBS All Access Aside, (being a completely weird animal in itself). I have to wonder about the contractual question, Since HBO is certainly contracted, I can use my Comcast Credentials to log into the HBO GO Web Site. Just so with Food Network, Hitory, etc. 

Before Xfinity Stream, I had no problems, I used to have no issues using TV GO on any of my computers.  Then one day it was suddenly gone. a week later there was Xfinity Stream and I could no longer access.  As for the Program guide. That is about ALL the Xfinity Stream App on my phone is good for, because any programs I try to watch I am told I have to be on my home network to view. (But that's another boggle all together.) 

Contributor

Oh ... By the way.  You will find that even among those on the forums who claim ot BE Official Comcast Employees, there is a disconnect.  None of the personnel I have spoken to AT Comcast, have any idea what goes on here.  It is my believe that the Forums are moderated by one or more of the Comcast Call Centers, and the only time anyone ACTUALLY in a position to do anything at Comcast hears about anything going on here, is if a message pops up that confomrs to some predetermined rule or circumstance that their manual tells them they need to contact someone about.

Frequent Visitor

Even more outrageous is the fact that you must enable Flash to view the Guide, rather than HTML5. What is Comcast doing check what OS one is running in a OS-agnostic world? I wonder - can the Guide be viewed in a Chromebook? Probably not, since Chrome OS is also linux-based. Talk about being out of step! Join the 21st century, Comcast! What kind of technology company are you?

Frequent Visitor

Actually, it does work on a Chromebook (I'm literally streaming the Arizona/Dallas game on my Chromebook while replying to this), and that's one of the things that's so frustrating about this to me.

Regular Visitor

Don't you love a company that is happy to run its infrastructure on opensource software, but won't support it for users!

xfinity stream is totally non performant anyway. Try launching a video on youtube, netflix, etc, and then from xfinity stream. Go make lunch while xfinity stream is loading your video. Better to use a different service if you are not a victom of the Comcast internet provider monopoly in your area.

Expert

@dreichlin411 wrote:

Are you sure you aren't a Comcast Employee? You certainly sound like one.  Must be the Customer's Equipment or his own Error that is the issue here, right?  Wrong. Been through this with many actual Comcast Personnel. it isn't that I can try to watch a show and am suddenly dropped. teh Issue is that I type; https://www.xfinity.com/stream/ into the address line, and as soon as Enter is hit, I get the refusal screen, Can't even get to the site. It is an intentional refusal of service by Comacast/Xfinity.

what are the DNS servers currently in use on the device?

New Poster

Ok this makes absoultly no sense at all Xfinity is a company run my comcast pretty sure that everyone knows that. But Comcast is one of the Major contributers to the Linux Foundation, it cost half a million to just get a seat in the linux foundation and Comcast has put allot more then just half a million into linux they are one of the top contributers up ther with others like Cisco & Microsoft.........Yet there software wont work with linux and they have noi plans to maek it work with linux??? WTeff

Frequent Visitor

Another thing that makes no sense is that Xfinity continues to use Flash instead of HTML5.

Expert

@rws8001 wrote:

Another thing that makes no sense is that Xfinity continues to use Flash instead of HTML5.

it is the currently accepted security (HDCP) approved by the MPAA/Netowrks. Comcast has stated they plan to use HDML5

Regular Visitor

So I finally got Xfinity Stream TV working on Ubuntu using this tutorial.

It requires that you extract a Chrome OS flash plugin and then set it up to work with Firefox. Performance (for me anyway) is just excellent. Very happy with this set up, just hope updates don't break it.

FWIW, I tried this tutorial with Linux Mint originally, but could not get it to work. It fired up right away after I installed Ubuntu.

Screenshot from 2018-11-15 19-46-26.png

New Poster

Yes! AMEN! Thank you for this. I'm very close to cancelling my service with Comcast because I'm fed up with the cost and feeling like I don't really get my money's worth! Supporting Linux is something that would ease this pain quite a bit. It's time to grow and evolve or die Comcast! Even Microsoft is embracing Linux, your turn. -Eric