Community Forum

Streaming to my computer no longer in HD?

Regular Contributor

Streaming to my computer no longer in HD?

Up until today I was able to login to my Xfinity account and stream TV shows in HD to my computer, starting today all I seem to be able to get is 640x480. This is on my local network at home attached to my XFinity modem.

Anyone have any idea's what the problem is?

Regular Contributor

Re: Streaming to my computer no longer in HD?

Sorry, using Chrome on Windows 8.1.

Expert

@NormAtHome wrote:

Sorry, using Chrome on Windows 8.1.

did you select an actual HD channel from the guide? some channels do not have HD numbered channels.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

This is from Xfinity Stream https://www.xfinity.com/stream/foryou and I've been watching shows like Manifest and The Resident in HD 1280x720 since the season started and The Resident since last year. Every show I've been watching this season has up until today been streamed to me in HD when I select it from the list of shows. There is no option to select HD or not, when I click the gear icon next to search and go to Playback Preferences "Play Best Available" is set to on. I do pay for HD and have an HD X1 box but often when I'm working in my office I watch on my spare monitor attached to my aux computer. I am logged into my account and it does verify that in the upper righthand corner of the screen; I have tried logging out and back in again which made no difference. My office computer is the only device I stream to and I've verified that by looking again at the Gear icon and "Manage Devices" and it only shows my office computer.

Whatever is going on here is not a problem on my end that I can find.

Regular Contributor

Btw this is not live stream so I guess this is considered "On Demand"

Expert

@NormAtHome wrote:

Btw this is not live stream so I guess this is considered "On Demand"

turn off the use best resolution option and then look at the feeds for the show. do you see HD/SD version? sometimes the HD version is TVgo (counts toward the data CAP). If you use a smart device is the stream in HD? 

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Contributor

"turn off the use best resolution option and then look at the feeds for the show. do you see HD/SD version? sometimes the HD version is TVgo (counts toward the data CAP). If you use a smart device is the stream in HD? "

As I mentioned I'm not watching via live feeds, I'm watching through On Demand the day after the show airs. For example: Screen Shot 11-13-18 at 10.36 PM.JPGI select episode 7 which aired yesterday and I'm dished up a 640x480 res version and not the HD version that I've been getting last season and so far this season. I don't have a smart device, just the X1 downstairs and my computer upstairs.

Regular Contributor

Same thing this morning with Station 19 on ABC OnDemand, all I can get is lores not HD?

Highlighted
Bronze Problem Solver

@NormAtHome wrote:

"turn off the use best resolution option and then look at the feeds for the show. do you see HD/SD version? sometimes the HD version is TVgo (counts toward the data CAP). If you use a smart device is the stream in HD? "

As I mentioned I'm not watching via live feeds, I'm watching through On Demand the day after the show airs. For example: I select episode 7 which aired yesterday and I'm dished up a 640x480 res version and not the HD version that I've been getting last season and so far this season. I don't have a smart device, just the X1 downstairs and my computer upstairs.

If you click on the episode title a window shows the deescription including resolution

Untitled.png

Regular Contributor

@mvenanzi wrote:

@NormAtHome wrote:

As I mentioned I'm not watching via live feeds, I'm watching through On Demand the day after the show airs. For example: I select episode 7 which aired yesterday and I'm dished up a 640x480 res version and not the HD version that I've been getting last season and so far this season. I don't have a smart device, just the X1 downstairs and my computer upstairs.

If you click on the episode title a window shows the deescription including resolution

Untitled.png

I'm checking that now and it's really strange, let's take the series Station 19 for example; when I do as you suggest and click on the episode title for each of these episodes this is what I get:

EP1 - No Recovery TV-14 HD CC

EP2 - Under The Surface TV-14 HD CC

EP3 - Home To Hold Onto TV-14

EP4 - Lost And Found TV-14 HD CC

EP5 - Do A Little Harm TV-14

EP6 - Last Day On Earth TV-14 HD CC

EP7 - Weather The Storm TV-14 CC

I don't recall when this problem started, but in was around the 13th when I noticed it that I was no longer getting HD On Demand on my computer but it appears to be some episodes of some shows while others are fine. But please note that as I mentioned this weeks episode of Station 19 "Weather The Storm" was not avaialble in HD while the previous weeks episode "Last Day On Earth" was available in HD; then the previous weeks episode "Do A Little Harm" was not or is not now available in HD while the previous episode "Lost And Found" is / was available in HD. So what's the problem here? I have an HD box and pay for HD service and even though I'm watching half my TV on my computer some episodes seem to be available in HD while other episodes are not available in HD. Shouldn't all episodes be available in HD since I'm paying for HD service? Here are some screenshots:

Screen Shot 11-16-18 at 07.46 PM 001.JPGScreen Shot 11-16-18 at 07.46 PM.JPG

Bronze Problem Solver

@NormAtHome wrote:

I'm checking that now and it's really strange, let's take the series Station 19 for example; when I do as you suggest and click on the episode title for each of these episodes this is what I get:

I don't recall when this problem started, but in was around the 13th when I noticed it that I was no longer getting HD On Demand on my computer but it appears to be some episodes of some shows while others are fine. But please note that as I mentioned this weeks episode of Station 19 "Weather The Storm" was not avaialble in HD while the previous weeks episode "Last Day On Earth" was available in HD; then the previous weeks episode "Do A Little Harm" was not or is not now available in HD while the previous episode "Lost And Found" is / was available in HD. So what's the problem here? I have an HD box and pay for HD service and even though I'm watching half my TV on my computer some episodes seem to be available in HD while other episodes are not available in HD. Shouldn't all episodes be available in HD since I'm paying for HD service? Here are some screenshots:

The shows are provided by the station not comcast

Expert

@NormAtHome wrote:

@mvenanzi wrote:

@NormAtHome wrote:

Untitled.png

are you watching on your home wifi or when away from home?

Regular Contributor

It makes no sense that some episodes would be in HD while some episodes aren't.

Bronze Problem Solver

@NormAtHome wrote:

It makes no sense that some episodes would be in HD while some episodes aren't.

Either they have some strange rules or more likely someone doesn't know what they're doing when making shows available

Regular Contributor

@mvenanzi wrote:

@NormAtHome wrote:

Untitled.png

I've discovered that your suggestion of clicking on the episode title does not alway show the correct information. Take a look at this:Screen Shot 11-17-18 at 11.18 AM.JPGScreen Shot 11-17-18 at 11.17 AM.JPG

The second picture is from clicking on the episode title and as you can see it only lists "TV-14" but in the first picture where I happened to also record this show on my DVR it shows additional information including "HD" that does not appear in the title properties. So clicking on the title properties does not alway bring up the correct information.

Regular Contributor

@Rustyben wrote:

@NormAtHome wrote:

@mvenanzi wrote:

@NormAtHome wrote:

Untitled.png

are you watching on your home wifi or when away from home?

I'm watching on my computer that is in my home attached to my router by ethernet cable.