Community Forum

Streaming Xfinity at a Vacation home

New Poster

Streaming Xfinity at a Vacation home

We have a vacation home where xfinity is not available, so we signed up through another ISP. I thought we could stream our xfinity TV through the Xfinity App on a Roku stick, but it apparently it will only work on our home Xfinity wi-fi. Phones, tablets and laptops will work fine. Is there a workaround other than plugging the laptop HDMI into the TV? Thanks

Bronze Problem Solver

Re: Streaming Xfinity at a Vacation home

@Fordguy wrote:

We have a vacation home where xfinity is not available, so we signed up through another ISP. I thought we could stream our xfinity TV through the Xfinity App on a Roku stick, but it apparently it will only work on our home Xfinity wi-fi. Phones, tablets and laptops will work fine. Is there a workaround other than plugging the laptop HDMI into the TV? Thanks

Only other way I know of is with some extra hardware like a slingbox

http://www.slingbox.com/Products/Slingbox500/Features.aspx

New Poster

What did you end up doing? Do any of the smart TVs have browsers that will allow Xfinity streaming?
New Poster

Actually I found a solution!  I bought/connected a Chromecast device to our lakehouse TV and use my Windows based laptop (connected to our lakehome's wifi) to log into our Xfinity account to watch our DVR programs and many live programs (but not broadcast networks which are not availble for streaming).  NOTE:  You must use a Windows PC that has Flash and you must use the Chrome browser to access your Xfinity account and "Cast" it to the TV's Chromecast device.  Mobile devices will NOT work because Xfinity requires Flash to stream and most mobile devices no longer support Flash.  Give it a try - I think you will like it!  

Expert

@Cdbier wrote:

Actually I found a solution!  I bought/connected a Chromecast device to our lakehouse TV and use my Windows based laptop (connected to our lakehome's wifi) to log into our Xfinity account to watch our DVR programs and many live programs (but not broadcast networks which are not availble for streaming).  NOTE:  You must use a Windows PC that has Flash and you must use the Chrome browser to access your Xfinity account and "Cast" it to the TV's Chromecast device.  Mobile devices will NOT work because Xfinity requires Flash to stream and most mobile devices no longer support Flash.  Give it a try - I think you will like it!  

glad you have it working. it is using the TV as a second monitor and that is allowed since the use existed before restrictions were put into place. the Chromebook will also work but only when using the built in Chrome browser. there are many 3rd party sites that may also work for you while away on your PC after going through a verification process. some of the 3rd party sites even allow connection via an inexpensive Roku 'stick' so the PC would not be needed.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

I found a solution!  I bought/connected a Chromecast device to our lakehouse TV and use my Windows based laptop (connected to our lakehome's wifi) to log into our Xfinity account to watch our DVR programs and many live programs (but not broadcast networks which are not availble for streaming).  NOTE:  You must use a Windows PC that has Flash and you must use the Chrome browser to access your Xfinity account and "Cast" it to the TV's Chromecast device.  Mobile devices will NOT work because Xfinity requires Flash to stream and most mobile devices no longer support Flash.  Give it a try - I think you will like it!