Community Forum

Streaming TV gets choppy every few seconds

New Poster

Re: Streaming TV gets choppy every few seconds

I am experienceing the same issue.  I would be curious to know how many of you on here are using the Xfinity provided modem or a third party modem?.?.?.

Expert

@jandmbehunin wrote:

I am experienceing the same issue.  I would be curious to know how many of you on here are using the Xfinity provided modem or a third party modem?.?.?.

are you using a desk/laptop? or a smart device? if a desk/laptop what browser and opeating system are you using? is it up to date in upgrades? are you running other programs? hooked up via wifi (if so 2.4 or 5.0 bands) or hardwired ethernet?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

This thread started almost one year ago, but not one answer yet, and no fix from Comcast.  What's going on with Comcast?

Silver Problem Solver

@bobdc6 wrote:

This thread started almost one year ago, but not one answer yet, and no fix from Comcast.  What's going on with Comcast?

I follow this thread, but I have never had my Stream appear choppy.  Maybe it is an issue with your equipment somewhere?

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

@RobertWy wrote:

@bobdc6 wrote:

I follow this thread, but I have never had my Stream appear choppy.  Maybe it is an issue with your equipment somewhere?

Let me put this answer (and ones like it) to bed.  On the same device, comcast streaming video is choppy.  Netflix is not choppy.  Hulu is not chooppy.  Prime Video is not chooppy.  Youtube is not choppy.  Plex streaming from a local server is not choppy.  If everyone else can deliver HD video just fine to my device, Comcast should be able to as well.  The problem lies with comcast.  Period.

Expert

@DaveKnowsAll wrote:

@RobertWy wrote:

@bobdc6 wrote:

Let me put this answer (and ones like it) to bed.  On the same device, comcast streaming video is choppy.  Netflix is not choppy.  Hulu is not chooppy.  Prime Video is not chooppy.  Youtube is not choppy.  Plex streaming from a local server is not choppy.  If everyone else can deliver HD video just fine to my device, Comcast should be able to as well.  The problem lies with comcast.  Period.

are you running an emulator? what OS? which browser? if windows are updates fully installed? did you try chrome? did you close all programs before running chrome? did you try rebooting the desk/laptop and try chrome browser? are you connected directly to your home wifi? are you using the default DNS servers provided by comcast? are you using a VPN to access the stream remotely from your home?

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

Looked back at my windows update history and my streaming started working after a windows update that adressed some problems with flash.  Flash is used to authenticate HDCP and to check during the video that all is still encrypted. Wonder if every five seconds a handshake required.

New Poster

Ongoing issue with a chromebook.   All other video services play fine.  Macbook plays fine.   Xfinity is a choppy fail.  They simply do not care.  It would be nice to believe they are just incompetent, but read the thread.  They do not care.  Comcast is dirt.  We need antitrust laws.

Expert

@sickOfComjunk wrote:

Ongoing issue with a chromebook.   All other video services play fine.  Macbook plays fine.   Xfinity is a choppy fail.  They simply do not care.  It would be nice to believe they are just incompetent, but read the thread.  They do not care.  Comcast is dirt.  We need antitrust laws.

you prove the issue is with your chromebook. try power restarting the chromebook, check for all updates to be installed. are you using the chrome web page to access or have you installed the app. did you try moving closer to the wifi antenna?

New Poster

dont blame it on chrome. its your garbage service. and you guys are so stingy that you won't let us download the video WHICH WOULD LITERALLY SOLVE EVERY PERSON ON THIS FORUM'S ISSUES.

New Poster

I had / am having the choppy video issue. One of the other commentors indicated that they unplugged the second monitor and there system stopped being choppy. I just tested it, and it works! Except, I like having two monitors running at the same time, with one for watching TV. 

Couple of things I noticed, it is MUCH worse with Chrome, IE11 is watchable even though it is still choppy. The choppiness is not just the video, it is also my mouse pointer and other programs running. 

I have an i7 - 4770K 16GB ram and R9 380 AMD graphics card. 

This should not be a problem for my computer, an yet it is. Comcast, you need to do something about this!

Expert

@Danjl68 wrote:

I had / am having the choppy video issue. One of the other commentors indicated that they unplugged the second monitor and there system stopped being choppy. I just tested it, and it works! Except, I like having two monitors running at the same time, with one for watching TV. 

Couple of things I noticed, it is MUCH worse with Chrome, IE11 is watchable even though it is still choppy. The choppiness is not just the video, it is also my mouse pointer and other programs running. 

I have an i7 - 4770K 16GB ram and R9 380 AMD graphics card. 

This should not be a problem for my computer, an yet it is. Comcast, you need to do something about this!

it is a web page that works even on very inexpensive chromebooks without issue. May need tech support to resolve. the forum does not assist in fixing your PC problems.

New Poster

Short answer:  Use Internet Explorer instead of Chrome.