Community Forum

Streaming TV gets choppy every few seconds

New Poster

Streaming TV gets choppy every few seconds

Whenever I try to watch a TV show, every 5 seconds or so the video and audio will stutter for a second or two. Normally I'd pause the video and let it buffer, but for some reason the Xfinity player doesn't seem buffer at all. Lowering the video quality doesn't help.

I don't get this problem on Netflix or any other streaming services, so it can't just be slow internet speed.

I'm using Chrome 66.0.3359.139 on Windows 10 with Flash 29.0.0.140.

New Poster

Re: Streaming TV gets choppy every few seconds

I'm having the same exact problem as well. All other videos will load and play normally on my computer like Netflix and YouTube except for Xfinity TV Stream, all it does is skip/stutter every couple seconds. Lowering the video quality doesn't help at all just makes it go from bad to worse.  

New Poster

Yes, I've seen other people have had this problem a lot in the past but I've never actually seen a forum thread in which the problem is resolved.

Xfinity streaming did work for me once... is there some way to make it work for me again???

New Poster

I have been experiening this for the last 6 months.

The video will freeze for a split second but the sound is not affected. Also the mouse freezes for the same time.

I've read through some forums and the only thing that temporarily resolves it is to power down computer and switch off the power to the power supply for a few minutes.

Then turn on power and power up computer. It runs stutter free for a while (sometimes a day, other times a week or more) until i need to do this procedure again.

There is a thread on the adobe forums about this here which is where I got this solution.

Regular Visitor

I have also seen this problem, have discussed it with Xfinity, and after months there is still no resolution.  I have NO problem with any other streaming source, just Xfinity.  On the same system, I have also seen it happen with both an Intel graphics device/driver and Nvidia, so it is not graphics device related.  It has something to do with the combination of Adobe and Windows 10.  My  work around was to write a custom script that resets the graphics device driver when I see this happening (usually once per day, and always after switching users).  This solves the problem, but really annoying I have to write a script to make such an expensive service work properly.  Really disappointed with Xfinity and wish I had an alternative to them in my community.  Adobe Flash is an obsolete video service ... very frustrated paying so much for old-tech that does not work without a workaround.  Kind of like having Inet/video service in the 1990s.

New Poster

For about 6 weeks, my tv hasn’t worked properly.  If watching tv channels, every few minutes, it freezes for about 45 seconds and then starts again.  At times, it displays the message “Let’s try this again” and starts over.  When streaming, it will freeze and start the movie over so I have to fast forward to where it stopped.  This has made watching tv almost unbearable.  I have contacted your office on many occasions and haven’t even gotten an estimated time that this problem will be fixed.  I pay an average of $400 per month for service.  Please give us a time frame!  I also expect Comcast to apply a credit for the time I haven’t been able to watch tv without interruption.  I’m about ready to change providers.

Expert

@MBL1 wrote:

For about 6 weeks, my tv hasn’t worked properly.  If watching tv channels, every few minutes, it freezes for about 45 seconds and then starts again.  At times, it displays the message “Let’s try this again” and starts over.  When streaming, it will freeze and start the movie over so I have to fast forward to where it stopped.  This has made watching tv almost unbearable.  I have contacted your office on many occasions and haven’t even gotten an estimated time that this problem will be fixed.  I pay an average of $400 per month for service.  Please give us a time frame!  I also expect Comcast to apply a credit for the time I haven’t been able to watch tv without interruption.  I’m about ready to change providers.

hi, are you replying about the web site version of the x1 streaming website? or your X1 set top box connected TV?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

If you are running multi-monitors, try unplugging all monitors but your main monitor.

I have a similar issue.  I'm streaming content from tv.xfinity.com to my fully updated Windows 10 PC via my fully updated Chrome browser.  Every 15 seconds or so a bunch of frames are dropped from the video stream and at the same time the mouse will freeze.  Audio continues with no obvious issues.  This can be captured using Chrome Developer Tools <Control+Shift+I> - Performance Tab.

In my case I was able to avoid this issue by running a single monitor only. 

My version if this issue seems to involve Flash (XFINITY's chosen streaming platform) + Windows 10 + multiple GPUs running multiple monitors.

Config:

AMD Phenom II x6 1035T 2.6 GHz

GPU onboard: ATI Radeon 4200

GPU external: NVidia 750 Ti

RAM: 16 GB

When experiencing the stream stutter the Radeon is driving a 1680x1050 monitor, and a the 750 Ti is a 1600x1200 monitor.   If I drive a single monitor (either one) using either of the GPUs, I have no stutter.  In fact, all I have to do is unplug either of the monitors and the stutter goes away.  If I plug both monitors into the 750 Ti, the stutter is barely observable.

Note that my multi-monitor stutter is very specific to XFINITY streaming services.  It does not happen with YouTube, Netflix, MLB.tv, BBC, and other sites that stream video.

Please let us know whether or not this workaround helps you if you have the stream stutter / dropped video frames problem.

New Poster

I am having the same problem streaming to an iPad.  Did not do this until recently.  I notice it on some channels, but others do not do this.  Audio and video stop, then start.  Feels like a buffering problem to me.  Signal strength is fine.  Recent software update to router?  

New Poster

I am having the same issue. Freezes OFTEN and sometimes displays message "Attempting to Resume". It does seem to happen more on some channels. I've tried three different browsers. I'd love a solution!

Silver Problem Solver

@KMM80525 wrote:

I am having the same issue. Freezes OFTEN and sometimes displays message "Attempting to Resume". It does seem to happen more on some channels. I've tried three different browsers. I'd love a solution!

Which type of connection are you using - ethernet (wired) or wifi?

Wifi can have connection issues.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

wifi. I'm super close to modem and signal is strong. I'm watching another channel now that hasn't had any interuptions.

New Poster

I have the problem and I am on a wired connection.

New Poster

But the advertisements work fine. <Edited for violating forum guidelines>.

New Poster

I have the same problem. EXCEPT DURING THE COMMERCIALS?! I've been looking at Xfinity and adobe forums, and so far no solution. I use the same wifi network with my tablet and there is no problem.

New Poster

Update to my previous post. I bought a tv show, and there was no stuttering. This stuttering is not happening with my Prime streaming or with Youtube, only with Xfinity. I'm not a tech oriented person, but I suspect this problem lies with Xfinity, not with my computer.

Frequent Visitor

xfinity stream started getting choppy couple days ago.  The live stream is fine.   The commercials on a choppy show are fine unless the show is day old and commercials are part of the show. I think the commercials are stored on a different server.   Other streaming services work fine.  I believe shows are being stored on a slow server.

Frequent Visitor

From my Favorites page start video for a minute or so of choppy video, close and go to 'for you'  page   'recently watched' click show and enjoy.  Looks like you can que up about 12 shows on 'recently watched'.   The resume has to come from 'for you' page. 

New Poster

I need that solutoin.  What is the "Above restricted section" that you are referring to.  I have a computer that used to work and now doesn't...other devices in my home work, and that computer has over 100 mb/s download speed.

Frequent Visitor

Watch choppy video for a minute or so on xfintity streaming,  close,   go to "for you" page.  Resume video from "recently watched".   Can Que up about 12 shows.

New Poster

This works! Thank you!
New Poster

I removed my Intel HD 4000 graphics driver for Generic PnP monitor from Prograns and Features in Windows 10. I rebooted my PC and Windows installed Generic PnP monitor version 10.0.17134.1
dated 6/21/06 and SOLVED!!

Going to try installing HD 4000 version 153345.4653 dated 5/23/17

STILL SUCCESS!!
Tags (2)
Frequent Visitor

tried unistall,  no joy.

New Poster

mine is an intel hd4400 series with driver 20.19.15.4963 from 2/21/2018.  I had to uninstall the dell custom driver and install this straight fro intel, but it still doesn't work.  However, is definitely better on ie (edge) right now than Chrome.  No perfect solution yet for me.

New Poster

Worked. Seems a little less smooth but at least there isn't a noticeable chop. Thank you. Still don't understand why the commercials play perfectly but it's better.
New Poster

I have the same issue with choppy display, sound not affected, but commericals stream just fine.  Also, I often experience program stopping completely and "attempting to resume".  I am running over an ethernet connection directly to my modem.  Have the same experience on all 4 laptops in our household.

Regular Visitor

Same issue here on my dell laptop or Mac. 

New Poster

Same issue here...

3 different PCs. 2 x windows 8. The other runs windows 10 with a Nvidia GTX1080Ti. All using google chrome, Microsoft explorer and firefox. All 3 internet browsers stutter and are choppy. All ethernet connected.

My next attempt was to stream using my Android phone using the Xfinity stream app since that works smoothly. Unfortunately Xfinity shuts down the ability to cast to another device. So I'm stuck, I dont know what else to do. I do not rent a set top box from Xfinity and my only source is via xfinity stream on the web browsers.
Frequent Visitor

I have a Dell laptop running Windows 8. Amazon Prime, Hulu, Netflix, HBO Go all work fine. XfinityStream worked fine until one day it didn't. I had changed nothing. It just started loading slowly and playing choppy.

I wonder how long Comcast is going to pretend this is a user issue? All these differnet devices/settings/setups, but the same problem. Smh ridiculous!

New Poster

i have noticed the same issue (including then fact the commercials work fine). i have tried stopping internet explorer and switching to firefox this worked for me. all smooth playback.

Frequent Visitor

You might get fooled into thinking you have resolved the problem if you change something (like ie to firefox, or drivers) and then restart video from 'for you' , 'resume watching' .  Check fix by going from 'episodes' page and restarting.  I've tried all.   Nothing has worked except the half fix "resume watching".

New Poster

Notice there is no response from xfinity staff regarding this issue?  That tells me that it is an issue that they do not want to talk about.  I love my xfinity services but the streaming is the pits.

Silver Problem Solver

@Streamjunkie wrote:

Notice there is no response from xfinity staff regarding this issue?  That tells me that it is an issue that they do not want to talk about.  I love my xfinity services but the streaming is the pits.

Strange.  I use the Stream website every day and I have never had this issue.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

Same or similar issue here.

5 year old 17" Dell Inspiron Laptop

I3 CPU (dual core + hyper-threading)

AMD 4300 series discrete graphics

6GB RAM

Qualcomm Atheros AR3012 bluetooth 4.0

Windows 10 (fully updated)

Latest update of IE11, Chrome, Firefox browsers

Latest available updates of all drivers

Latest updates of Flash and Java

Don't recall when issue started, but two to three months ago seems about right.

I prefer IE11 over other browsers but loaded Chrome and Firefox to troubleshoot the issue.

Problem is most noticeable in IE11 and least noticeable in Firefox, but still noticeable enough to be an unpleasant viewing experience.

The issue presents itself as a halt or freeze of just the video (not the audio) at a one second interval then the video will skip frames to catch up with audio. In IE11 the video freeze will last almost a full second, whereas in Firefox the freeze is only around 2/10ths of a second (but still very noticeable). As noted in some of the above posts, this issue only happens with Xfinity Stream Website. It is not an issue with other streaming sources such as Netflix, Hulu, Broadcast Network sites, Youtube, etc.

Through trial and error, I think I have narrowed my problem down to an issue between Comcast's iteration of Flash Player used on the streaming site and my Bluetooth, which I use to broadcast my laptop audio to my external speakers.

Sometimes I can get a smooth video by going to the Flash Player Manager in the Windows Control Panel and  choosing "delete all site data and settings", "delete all audio and video license files" and "deauthorize this computer" and then restart the computer but that does not always work and will usually only work for the first video played. Next video, the problem is back.

If I turn off my Bluetooth radio during playback (using the Bluetooth button on the  notification panel) the video and audio will lock up (permanent pause). I can use the jump forward/back buttons but it will not play again without restarting the browser. If I disable my Bluetooth adapter through the Windows Device Manager and then try to play a video, it plays normally, but I'm stuck with laptop speakers and if I try to re-enable the Bluetooth Adapter after I've started the video, I get a BSOD with KERNAL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE.

I'm thinking maybe that the issue might be associated with the DRM in the Xfinity version of Flash Player. That would also explain why the commercials preceding some of the content play smoothly and the following video play with the chop. The commercials are unprotected media, whereas the videos are DRM protected. It might also explain the multiple monitors/graphics adapters problems. I'm figuring that Xfinity's version of Flash Player either has problems with recognizing legitimate external or multiple media devices like Bluetooth speakers or multiple graphics adapters, or the security in their player is dialed down so tight that it is purposefully downgrading or crippling the stream when it detects any of these "suspcious" devices because they might be trying to pirate the stream.

New Poster

I also am running Windows 10, NVIDIA drivers, 2 NVIDIA GPUs, however, only 1 GPU is connecting both monitors. As reported, having two monitors connected causes xfinity stream to freeze for parts of a second and the mouse movement is also affected (stuttery) during that time. The instant one monitor is disconnected, the problem resolves. Once it's plugged in, the problem reappears, also instantly.

Surely this is flash related, as no other HTML5 streaming service triggers the issue. Comcast needs to change over to HTML5....

Edit: Tried Firefox browser, otherwise same PC, same configuration, and that doesn't cause the issue.... perhaps the flash rendering in Chrome is not the best.

New Poster

Same problem here...

Official Employee

Hello, vaca_loca. Thanks for reaching out to us on the forums. I apologize to hear you are running into this issue when streaming on the PC. We are currently looking into moving from flash. For the most part, it seems trying to stream from a different browser does the trick. I was wondering if you could confirm was version your chrome is? The current version is Version 70.0.3538.110. I wonder if you are running an old version of chrome possibly updating it could resolve the issue. If you need help on how to check this, please use the following link: https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95414?co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop&hl=en

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

Yes, I think Chrome version may be the issue.  My Win 10 computers don't have a problem with the latest version of Chrome, but my old Chromebook, which no longer receives updates is stuck at Chrome 65.  That is the one with choppy video problems.

New Poster

i changed my set up to a single monitor set up. This has not fixed the issue. when is comcast going to step up and fix this.

New Poster

You're working on it?  This is ridiculous.  All other streaming services work on my laptop except for xfinity.  Why am I paying for a service that isn't being delivered, and why isn't this a priority to fix now instead of saying "we're working on it"....as a customer, this just seems unacceptable, when will this be fixed?

Official Employee

Hello, vaca_loca. I have not heard back from you. If you still need assistance, please feel free to start a new thread.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.