Community Forum

Stream SMART TV app COAX

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Stream SMART TV app COAX

I would like the Xfinity® Stream app for smartTVs to offer the option to receive and decrypt the Xfinity® cable signal from the COAX input, and record internally, because that's my preference. Who's with me on this?
Highlighted
Silver Problem Solver

Re: Stream SMART TV app COAX

@markmanjd wrote:
I would like the Xfinity® Stream app for smartTVs to offer the option to receive and decrypt the Xfinity® cable signal from the COAX input, and record internally, because that's my preference. Who's with me on this?

There was something like that, called CableCard. Outside of devices like Tivo and some computer TV tuners, it's dead. It would take cooperation between Comcast and TV manufacturers, which will never happen. Plus, even Comcast is moving away from the old QAM-based channels and moving more and more to IPTV. In many areas, some channels are only available through IPTV, requiring an X1 box or using the streaming app.

Highlighted
Expert

Re: Stream SMART TV app COAX

adding...  and the HD video has to be encrypted end to end so it can't be copied.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!