Community Forum

Stream App on Fire TV and Apple TV

Regular Contributor

Stream App on Fire TV and Apple TV

The two streaming platforms that I use - Amazon Fire TV and Apple TV - still have no joy with Xfinity.  We are getting close to the end of 2018, when I thought these were to be delivered.  Anyone seen even a beta release?

Expert

Re: Stream App on Fire TV and Apple TV

@user1724 wrote:

The two streaming platforms that I use - Amazon Fire TV and Apple TV - still have no joy with Xfinity.  We are getting close to the end of 2018, when I thought these were to be delivered.  Anyone seen even a beta release?

end of 2018 may be a Christmas present. still waiting for it to be formally announced.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Official Employee

Hello , the information that (Rustyben) provided is correct. Currently only certain devices have the Xfinity Stream app. We anticipate adding more equipment manufacturers and devices during 2018. For eligible device models, see the activation information for Roku devices and Samsung devices.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

Hopefully this happens soon. I just bought a Toshiba Smart TV with the Fire OS 6, not knowing that the Xfinity streaming app is not compatible with it. The minimum requirements listed on the Xfinity site include Fire, so this is a huge disappointment. The ability to stream Xfinity is the whole reason I bought the TV since it's too difficult to install cable in the room I'll be using it. I don't want to return the TV, but might have to.

Official Employee

Hello @CTGirl1971, thanks for reaching out and I apologize about any inconvenience or frustration this caused you! We appreciate your feedback regarding this as well. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

I was told by my customer service agent that this would work for AppleTV and Firestick.  Sounds like neither of these are currently supported.  Do you have an ETA for when these platforms will be supported?

Expert

@mestrits wrote:

I was told by my customer service agent that this would work for AppleTV and Firestick.  Sounds like neither of these are currently supported.  Do you have an ETA for when these platforms will be supported?

no information given. they usually announce any changes a week or so before they start rolling out. you can use a roku now as it is on a free beta. If you buy one keep the receipt and packaging until you verify that the purchased version works.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

Any updates on appletv availability?
Expert

@Rheckert wrote:
Any updates on appletv availability?

see the post just before your post

New Poster

Wow... just got off the phone N hour ago. Was gonna cancel my tv, and they talked me in to staying and signing a 2-year agreement and told me that I can stream to FireSticks and AppleTV devices. Well, clearly I can’t and I was lied to. Now I’m in a 2 year contract with no TV to 75% of my house. Well played Comcast... well played. You conned me. I was going to switch to sling
New Poster

I’m disappointed as well. Clearly told the agent today I stream from an Apple TV. Was surprised to find out tonight that Xfin Stream app is not available on Apple TV.

My agent said you can cancel the plan within 30days. Unless the app for Apple TV launches in the next week I’ll cancel the changes to my service.
New Poster

I just finished a chat with Xfinity support and was also told that the Stream App is available on AppleTV.  This is very frustrating to find out that it is *NOT* supported.

New Poster

Still no updates on xfinity streaming on Apple TV. It’s very disappointing.
New Poster

Yep was told the same thing just about an hour ago.  we were going to go with youtube tv and we stay with Comcast for the internet. were told it could be steamed on all devices.  went looking for the xfinity stream app and no such app exists.  Pretty sad when a company lies to its customers.  

New Poster

Me too! Ugh!
New Poster

sad because it would be such a better experience on apple tv.  

New Poster

Very disappointing, they call me and tell me my plan is expiring and I have to get a different internet plan and then tell me I have xfinity stream, I tell them I use Apple TV and she tells me that is fine that will work and that’s the furthest thing from the truth
Frequent Visitor

Let see how long my post will stay before an expert deletes it... Does not surprise me that Comcast employees are not all on the same page. I to was misled to believe from a Comcast rep I can save money and not renting their boxes to Simply use their Stream app. Selling me their product for me to agree to commit to a contract. Even though I ask the appropriate questions. Seems I was giving exactly what I wanted to hear. 7 months into my contract and reading a lot on these forms and elsewhere Comcast seems to be dragging their feet they will partnership with more companies or have no intentions to do so. Keeping themselves very very limited and tight ship. Other than promoting Roku and some Samsung and Sony smart Tv models. Wasnt long ago their Stream app use to work on any media streaming device. Long as you were a Comcast customer. Comcast without notice stopped this feature and limited how their Stream app will work. But Jan 2019 rates went up across the board. While other providers do not limit their paying customers using streaming capabilities over the internet. Been a customer for more than 30 years and I see they do not appreciate any loyalty to long term customers. In my opinion this is not the way to do business. SAD...
New Poster

Same here! Bought two Fire TVs just to get home and realize the Xfinity app is only available on Roku so should hv bought a Roku tv but I hv Amazon Prime so wanted to be able to access that too. Going to buy a Roku stick since they’re only $40 and see if that works. Fingers crossed then I can access them both.
Expert

@DDCam84 wrote:
Same here! Bought two Fire TVs just to get home and realize the Xfinity app is only available on Roku so should hv bought a Roku tv but I hv Amazon Prime so wanted to be able to access that too. Going to buy a Roku stick since they’re only $40 and see if that works. Fingers crossed then I can access them both.

sam's club has the same as $40 from walmart roku express for $29

New Poster

The point is having one device for all content. I don't want a Roku, I don't want an Xfinity box, I don't want anything other than the AppleTV's we have set up on each TV. I dropped DirecTV  for DirecTV Now a year or so ago after 25+ years for this very reason. I have no intention of going back and no intention of switching off AppleTV.

As long as Xfinity fails to deliver an app to the AppleTV I will stick Directv Now, warts and all, since it provides me most of what I want. The only reason I even consider Xfinity (who I'm forced to get internet through) is potential bundle discount and access to regional sports which for some inane reason DTV Now can't seem get access too even though ATT owns both properties.

And Airplay doesn't count. Native app with 4k delivered content with access to all subscribed channels and cloud DVR. Need to get with the times.

Frequent Visitor

@kajpin
(Lets see if an Expert deletes my comment like usual for telling the truth)
Agree 100%.... There is no excuse why Xfinity is the only ISP that is so restrictive with there streaming app. But yet they encouraged to use their stream app. Since near the end of 2017 Ive been told by different Xfinity Rep's that eventually more streaming devices will support this Stream app. Nothing has changed n we're in April 2019. Roku is what they are promoting to use. I have a Roku do not like the streaming technology. It is not versatile but yet the Stream app works fine. Roku is very limited what apps can be installed from Roku store which is not an open market device but controlled by Roku police( figure of speech). I do not get why Xfinity is doing this to there paying customers other than money. I have 4 months left till my contract ends. After 30 years with Comcast /Xfinity I am looking forward dropping Xfinity n going with Verizon. Im tired of all the different excuses each rep gives me. Seems in the past 15 years reps have gotten worse than better. Sad and very disappointed.
Contributor

I have a tale of woe myself. I switched to Xfinity a few months ago and was so disappointed with the X1 performance I decided to give TiVo a try with a Comcast cable card. Tivos’s performance is much better but they use a very old Xfinity On Demand (XOD) App that is very problematic. I’ve had a case open for 3+ weeks concerning XOD timeouts to the on demand server. The only resolution to recover is reboot the DVR.

If Tivo would drop the XOD and get the newer Xfinity Stream working, Xfinity could cut their Cable Card support group by 1/2 because I’m sure XOD is a significant amount of their trouble tickets.

Back to the Apple TV, I think Xfinity may be dragging their feet offering this due to their new Xfinity TV streaming product (like YouTube TV, Hulu, etc. - and now Apple’s getting in the game too).. We may never see it. Only time will tell.

In the meantime, I’m going to order up one of the cheapest Roku devices ((Express?) that can run the Xfinity Stream App. At least then I’ll have a backup when the XOD App craps out. Drives my wife crazy. Not an elegant solution, or cost effective, but it should work.

One other alternative I have is to hook up my retired MacMini to the TV and just watch everything Tivo and Xfinity on line. Of course, this requires a keyboard, etc.

Makes me crazy. I’m going to follow this thread.