Community Forum

Safari problem: "Please clear your browser's cache"

New Poster

Safari problem: "Please clear your browser's cache"

When using the tv.xfinity.com site or xfinity.com/stream I see the following message:  "Sorry, we're having some trouble. Please clear your browser's cache and then refresh this page."  I have repeatedly cleared Safari cache, restarted the modem, restarted Safari, restarted the Mac, etc., etc., with no fix. How is this resolved?

New Poster

Re: Safari problem: "Please clear your browser's cache"

Namaskar!

I am experiencing the same issue with Safari!  I have cleaned out all of my stored cookies & files including saved password information to no avail.  I am still receiving the message and sady cannot view any of Xfinity's programs.  I hope that this is soon resolved for I cannot delete anymore temporary files to fix this myself.  You are not alone. 

New Poster

Re: Safari problem: "Please clear your browser's cache" using Xfinity Stream

This is a new problem.  All they tell you to do is use a different browser.  Fix it comcast.  Safari is a legit browser

New Poster

I have the same problem except I use Chrome and have been going round and round with tech support for three weeks now.  The initially insisted it was an issue with my browser until I pointed out I could stream from the for you recently recorded webpage fine but not from the saved recordings webpage.  I updated the browser and it still was the same issue.  Then they tried to tell me it was my modem (I don't rent theirs I own my own)   They escalated my ticket to the highest level three tech support who after four more calls who told me it was an issue with my internet service signal being weak and a technician visit would be needed. He came today and found no issue with my internet and so he called in and a woman read him some memo about there being a "known issue" with the streaming portal and that until they resolved it you could not watch your DVR recordings over the internet, he then hung up his phone and apologized because there was nothing he could do and he left. I am just really tired of my time being wasted, being lied to and paying for service I cannot use. All I want is what you promised me I could have when I signed this two year contract.  They seem to have broken their streaming portal trying to comply with the courts order they stop infringing on Tivo's patents and just aren't willing to confess that is the issue. https://www.reuters.com/article/us-tivo-comcast-lawsuit/tivo-hits-comcast-with-new-round-of-patent-l...

New Poster

Safari and Chrome no longer worked for me. If I use FIREFOX I can get streaming.  Finally.

New Poster

It has not worked on any desktop for over a month, even after clearing cache.  I tried safari and chrome.  I also tried Clear your cache and cookies, and try to access the xfinity.com site again. If this isn’t successful, please try to access the page by visiting: http://76.96.54.12.

Fix it comcast

Expert

You need Adobe Flash to view the XFinity Stream site - did you install/update Flash as well? 

Comcast Experts are other customers who volunteer their time helping on the forum and have been recognized by the community. For more information on the Expert Program, please click here.
Unless so specifically stated, my opinions written herein are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of Comcast, its official employees or affiliates.
New Poster

Sometimes partial outages cause a lot of these issues. I couldn't stream and come to find out this was the problem.

New Poster

You're 100% correct. Flash will affect Xfinity™ I updated Flash and tried to adjust it so flash will work on all my browsers. I was told I couldn't stream on Firefox even, but after updating Flash manually on that particular browser, then restarting my pc, I'm streaming Xfinity™ on Firefox as well. I discussed this with an Xfinity™ online tech; he said it's a good idea to keep these things updated. I'm thinking Xfinity™ has flash as part of its platform.

New Poster

It may cost $11 to rent their modem,but I believe with everything working from it, Xfinity™ sends signals to that modem thereby having the capability to fix most issues. Online streaming is more than likely more compatible because with all their services running thru that device, even a simple refresh will solve the issue. But from time to time, partial outages are culprits. Usually those glitches are resolved 12-24 hours

New Poster

Well, so it's AUGUST 26, 2018 and I have read the all of complaints and all of the replies to date on this issue. No one provided a legitimate answer.  The Streaming Page does NOT work anymore no matter what is done. Comcast should stop blaming the browser or flash. All are updated. That's not the issue. Comcast is.

New Poster

Just started getting this error myself on my MacBook.  Both Safari and Chrome.  Was working fine two days ago.  Tried on my wife's MacBook and it's working fine.  What give Comcast?

Contributor

By any chance, are you using Cloudflair's DNS? (1.1.1.1) This is very similar to a problem that I was experiencing along with several other people. I got the same message with an additional error code ftde.0001

If you are using Cloudflair, we have confirmed that Google's DNS (8.8.8.8) will work. And of course Comcast's will.

I'm hoping that this solve sthe problem.

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/XFINITY-Stream-Website/Error-ftde-0001-Are-you-using-Cloudflare-s-DNS-...

Expert

@m_makary4 wrote:

Well, so it's AUGUST 26, 2018 and I have read the all of complaints and all of the replies to date on this issue. No one provided a legitimate answer.  The Streaming Page does NOT work anymore no matter what is done. Comcast should stop blaming the browser or flash. All are updated. That's not the issue. Comcast is.

Why don't you start a separate thread, outline your problem, and maybe it can be fixed? Just posting here ONCE that "no one provided a legitimate answer" isn't very helpful to anyone. 

Comcast Experts are other customers who volunteer their time helping on the forum and have been recognized by the community. For more information on the Expert Program, please click here.
Unless so specifically stated, my opinions written herein are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of Comcast, its official employees or affiliates.
Expert

@FitingGamecock wrote:

Just started getting this error myself on my MacBook.  Both Safari and Chrome.  Was working fine two days ago.  Tried on my wife's MacBook and it's working fine.  What give Comcast?

If it works fine on your wife's MacBook, maybe you should consider that the problem isn't with Comcast, but on your MacBook? 

Expert

@Rick11629 wrote:

By any chance, are you using Cloudflair's DNS? (1.1.1.1) This is very similar to a problem that I was experiencing along with several other people. I got the same message with an additional error code ftde.0001

If you are using Cloudflair, we have confirmed that Google's DNS (8.8.8.8) will work. And of course Comcast's will.

I'm hoping that this solve sthe problem.

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/XFINITY-Stream-Website/Error-ftde-0001-Are-you-using-Cloudflare-s-DNS-...

I'm using CloudFlare and I have no issues with streaming. Didn't have it either with OpenDNS. Also note that you can't change your DNS settings on the Comcast leased gateways, you can only do that on personal routers or your devices. 

One thing everyone here can try is to flush your DNS cache, either on your routers, or the devices affected. 

https://support.opendns.com/hc/en-us/articles/227988627-How-to-clear-the-DNS-Cache-on-a-computer-and...

New Poster

So i just got it working again.  And as darkangelic suggests, it was an issue with my MacBook (and possibly my router.)  I had suspected as much and was absolutely focused on that idea when i came across another blog post that pointed the finger at DNS.  I tried flushing the DNS already, but that didn't help.  Then i realized that i had recently enabled IPv6 on my Google Home router.  Thinking this could be the issue, i disabled it.  But at the same time, i took a look at the DNS settings.  It was set to use Google's 8.8.8.8 (not surprisingly), so i switched it to use my ISP's DNS, which is of course that of Comcast.  Now realize that everything was working fine this way, except perhaps until i enabled IPv6.  So i gave it another shot on my MacBook, but still no streaming.  Then i decided to look at the DNS setting on my MacBook and saw that it was set to use 1.1.1.1, with a second IP for an older router that i stopped using when i got the Google Home.  Changing this IP to that of my new router and suddenly, all is working again!  So it's likely a combination of events that led to my troubles and i might tempt fate to see if i can break it again just to be certain of the cause.  I'm just glad to know i could fix it and, in fact, it doesn't seem to have anything to do with my browser cache or Flash setup.  Hope this helps someone else.

Contributor

There are several threads dedicated to the ftde.0001 error which also has the same browser message as in this thread.  So it may be relevant.

Many users were reporting that they could not access  Live TV, recordings and browser based email.  Basically, we found that Cloudflare still works with any site OTHER THAN    https://www.xfinity.com/  Many threads on this, but in this one https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/XFINITY-Stream-Website/Error-ftde-0001-Can-t-Watch-TV-on-Xfinity-Websi... user celilo1 confirmed that switching from Cloudflare to Googles or Comcast's at 75.75.75.75 allowed users to access https://www.xfinity.com/  again.

Ceilio1 was also able to dig up a post that Comcast for some reason archived.  Forum User RyanKeary was able to determine that 1.1.1.1 is unreachable for him as posted here https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Internet-Archive/Cloudflare-1-1-1-1-DNS-Unreachable-From-Nashville/td-...

I don't have a Comcast gateway but my own equipment and I manualy set the DNS through the settings which I believe is how youre; doing it as well.

Now, this may/may not be the same issue the original poster to this thread is experiencing along with th eother posters BUT the "please clear your browser cache" message is the same as the one we were experiencing when we used Cloudflare for access https://www.xfinity.com/ The error message of ftde.0001 was small so may have been missed.

All I'm sayting is that it is worth exploring and confirming that 1.1.1.1 isn't causing an issue.

ChangeDNS.PNG
Contributor

Looks like you posted as I was writing.  Glad it worked.

So ... you basicaly wiped out all the other settings and used  Comcast for both IP4 and IP6? Or just IP4?

Now that you have the router resolved, have you tried Google again? Based on what everyone else has found, I'm guesisng it will work.

New Poster

Re: "Please clear your browser's cache"

It is indeed a Cloudflare 1.1.1.1 DNS issue.

ALL of my computers and three different browsers (Chrome, Edge, Firefox) were getting the same error to "Clear Browser Cache".   Had to be something in common.

My router DNS (thus feeding all computers and browsers) was set to Cloudflare's 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1 DNS.   I changed this back to Google's 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 DNS.

NOTE: If you have your individual computer's IP4 settings to use a specific DNS, it too must be set to use Google DNS.

Now everything works again.

What changed?  1.1.1.1 has been working for months.  Either Comcast is now blocking Clioudflare or Cloudflare is not resolving the Xfinity Stream website (www.xfinity.com/stream) correctly.

Bottom line: things are working again.

Contributor

I'm not sure what changed but the issue with 1.1.1.1 has been reported since January.  I found this post that talks about an occurance a couple months ago. https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=16742197

Maybe it's the same deal .. I really don't know but I'm going to keep checking 1.1.1.1 every now and then.

Silver Problem Solver

I have tested the Comcast DNS and it is just as quick as any other DNS.

https://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Contributor

I haven't found that to be true. Here's just one example with results I ran before posting. For me Comcast's are the slowest. I suppose it all comes down to which tools you are using.

Take a look here and you can see that 1.1.1.1 comes in in the upper tier most of the time.

https://www.dnsperf.com/#!dns-providers,North%20America

DNS Watch.JPG
Contributor

But I think the bottome line is we have a workaround for the people who use Cloudflare and experience thsi problem. They can swicth to Google's DNS or go back to Comcast's. 

Have a good day!