Community Forum

Recorded Shows Often Cut Short, But Only When Streaming

Regular Visitor

Recorded Shows Often Cut Short, But Only When Streaming

When watching something at home off my X1 DVR, the full recording is available and plays without issue.  When I go to the Stream app (checked on both my Mac and my iPhone), the recording is cut short.  It is not all shows that do this, but I'd estimate about 50% of the time this happens.  This has been going on for the past few weeks and is really frustrating.  

Here's an example, Fast N' Loud S14E08:

Stream Capture Info.pngAs reported, the show is 61 minutes longStream Capture Play.pngBut only 38 minutes is available

I've looked around the forum and found many others reporting the same issue, especially in the Chicago area, but I'm in Denver.  Not a one I looked reported this problem as solved, although I did see a, "We're working on it" message is one thread.  Evidently Comcast made some kind of code update to the streaming service that has broken what has been a generally pretty reliable app.  Fire your QA team for letting this bug through, fix the root problem and let us know when it's fixed.  Man Frustrated

New Poster

Re: Recorded Shows Often Cut Short, But Only When Streaming

You definitely are not alone.  I have experienced the same problem when attempting to watch my xfinity cloud dvr recordings on my home TV through Roku.

Expert

@macdanife01 wrote:

When watching something at home off my X1 DVR, the full recording is available and plays without issue.  When I go to the Stream app (checked on both my Mac and my iPhone), the recording is cut short.  It is not all shows that do this, but I'd estimate about 50% of the time this happens.  This has been going on for the past few weeks and is really frustrating.  

Here's an example, Fast N' Loud S14E08:

Stream Capture Info.pngAs reported, the show is 61 minutes longStream Capture Play.pngBut only 38 minutes is available

I've looked around the forum and found many others reporting the same issue, especially in the Chicago area, but I'm in Denver.  Not a one I looked reported this problem as solved, although I did see a, "We're working on it" message is one thread.  Evidently Comcast made some kind of code update to the streaming service that has broken what has been a generally pretty reliable app.  Fire your QA team for letting this bug through, fix the root problem and let us know when it's fixed.  Man Frustrated

there is a known issue that affects random customers for random amounts of time. It appears that during peak times some servers are at over capacity for programs to be recorded. The errors cause the servers to move customers around to less 'full' servers over time. have you had this issue very long or just a few days? are you by chance in the Detroit/Mn.-St. Paul area?

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.
Regular Visitor

It’s been going on for about a month now.

So what you’re saying is I’ve got a copy of the shows on my DVR at home, and another copy up on your servers? And the recordings in your cloud are being cut short when the system tries to load balance? I’d say it sounds like somebody rushed the last production release, but I see other mentions of this issue going back over a year, plenty of time to come up with a fix.

Generally I think Comcast Xfinity, the X1 system, and very good Internet bandwidth are worth the $$$, and I tell my friends exactly that, but this issue is getting a bit ridiculous. Somehow I doubt your development group is passing info up to you support folks, so you probably don’t have any timeline for resolution, right?
Contributor

Having the exact same problem using the Stream app on a Roku. Certain 1-hour shows are only 14 minutes long. I'm in the South Florida market.

Regular Visitor

Sorry Rustyben... I see now you're not a Comcast employee, but I've seen some roaming the forums so hopefully one of them can give us more info.

Contributor

Let me add that this hasn't been happening at random times as Rustyben alluded to. It continues to happen for me over several days...same recording, same cutoff amount.

Regular Visitor

I'm gonna 'knock-knock' on wood, but I think Comcast has resolved at least my problem.  Going on about a month now without programs getting cut short.  I'll update the thread if it comes back.  If anyone else is still having the problem, please update to keep Comcast aware.