Community Forum

ROKU, HBO GO

New Poster

Re: ROKU, HBO GO

+1 for Roku access to HBO Go. It's ridiculous that I have HBO Go access at my home on my Apple TV, computers, and Android phones ... but not on the Roku device. Only thing that seems more ridiculous is that this looks to be a long-standing request by Comcast subscribers but the company's response has been worthless.

Regular Visitor

Presumably it's about money. Comcast wants Roku to pay them, or is protecting their own proprietary "solution," or both.

New Poster

Roku Device

I'm trying to activate my Roku device with HBO to Go and it's saying that we have to notify comcast to add it as an approved device? What's up with that? How can I get comcast to approve Roku to access HBO to go?

Problem Solver

Re: Roku Device

The problem is not with the Roku. It is with HBO & Comcast. That is why you cannot activate the app. Until Comcast & HBO's ownership comes to some kind of agreement, the HBOGo and other Go apps for that ownership, will not work with your Comcast login credentials.
New Poster

Re: Roku Device

This is actually incorrect.  The issue is with Comcast not signing an agreement with Roku.

If you go on the internet on your computer, go to HBO Go, you can log in with your Comcast credentials.  You can even plug in an HDMI cable from computer to TV and watch HBO Go on your TV that way.  Comcast specifically does not support the viewing of HBO Go (Or Showtime Anytime) through the Roku.

Additionally, Comcast now offers a package of just internet + HBO Go without paying for cable.  But again, you can only view HBO Go on your computer or other approved device - not a Roku.

Contributor

ESPN but not HBO on Roku Device - huh?

But Watch Espn does work on my Roku box.  I am a comcast Internet+CableChannels customer.

Up in the right corner of one of the splash screens it even says "powered by Comcast/Xfinity" or something like that.

So problem is not technical, not Comcast vs Roku, nor Comcast vs HBO -- it's just some silly bs.

New Poster

Re: ESPN but not HBO on Roku Device - huh?

Wondering if anyone has accessed HBO Go on Roku/Fios when your HBO account is with Comcast at another address?
Contributor

I'm a Blast+ (w/HBO, Streampix, etc) sub in Danbury CT.

I hate struggling with crappy Comcast cable boxes and "live" commercials and all such.

I just want to watch some movies and the occasional sporting event...  We watched much of the World Cup on

ESPN/Roku (the Brazilian-Portuguese feed) - pretty good - and much less commercials than the regular ESPN channel... 

With HBO and Streampix movies -- I can watch it on my wife's Amazon Fire Tablet, or on her Windoze/PC

and I can hook an HDMI cable from either of those to my larger TV screen and continue watching ....

BUT  "GO" is a NO go on Roku....  Makes no sense to me.

Is Roku asking for a "cut" of the action?  Heh, even if Comcast won't - maybe I'd be willing to pay a few cents to make it a GO!

BTW: I hate the cr-ppy- Cisco boxes that Comcast supplies -- I'm turning in the HiDef box - besides huge reboot times, crappy interface, poor program guides it doesn't work over HDMI cable to my TV that is HDMI compatible with every other box I've ever tried -- (2 Rokus, Chromecast, several PCs, Bluray,  old DVD recorder, etc, etc.)  Cisco took over some other cable box maker - Scientific Atlanta - but never improved the design - not that I can see - all the same bugs are still there, even in the recently manufactured - reduced chip count boxes) - 

Well at least some of the Android/Table apps work with Comcast - so I'll just be using those until Roku and Comcast can get their act together...   

8/9 Update: HBO-GO does work on Android Devices with disply to TV either by direct HDMI cable or via Google Chromecast.   Xfinity GO app works on Android Devices, another version works on PC/Browsers - with either you can use direct HDMI cable.  Still no Roku support for either from Comcast.

Contributor

BTW - unlike many of the posters here, I am pretty darned happy with Comcast Internet service -- sure I'd rather pay less, but it's not crazy high, and there is no competition where I happen to live.  AT&T can't get 5 Mbps to my house, let along Blast
"105" speed that consistently speedtests at 90+ Mbps.  The $ increment from Blast to Blast+ (for HBO and Streampix) was about the same as a Neftlix monthly - so why not?

New Poster

I just bought a Roku 2 today and was extremely disappointed to find that HBO Go doesn't work because I have Comcast.  It makes me long for the days of Verizon FIOS.  If they offered service in the Indianapolis area, I would switch in a heartbeat.

Frequent Visitor

@Convert949 wrote:
Wondering if anyone has accessed HBO Go on Roku/Fios when your HBO account is with Comcast at another address?

The address does not matter. It is about the credentials. I tried that once at a friends house. I finally gave up on Comcast video and switched to DISH. Even DirectTV finally relented and will now authenticate every device. Comcast is doing this purely out of spite. Given that Roku has advocated cord cutting, you can almost begin to understand Comcast's position. Making the same decision about the PS3 is completely ridiculous.

Contributor

update - just got a new Chinese Android tablet - HBO GO app works with Chromecast on that beautifully.

Xfinity Go app and Chromecast?  Of course not!

What's the point Comcast?  You're not winning any friends with this stupidity. 

Really want me to use your set top box?  How bout sell be a decent HD one for about $100 that does live + on demand and no additional monthly fees?  Impossible?  I think not - if Roku can sell me one for $50.... Otherwise give up and get with the program -- even your "competitor" soon to be co-opted absorbed into the mother ship -- Timer Warner Cable supports Roku for all of their streamable content...  

Heh, you could actually make more money supporting Roku -- no need to supply and maintain those darned Cisco boxes.  Stick with what you are competent at (in my n'hood anyhow)  -- maintaining the cable/fiber plant and the "back end" 

New Poster

It is ridiculous that HBO Go doesn't work on Roku with Comcast. This needs to be fixed.

Frequent Visitor

I am not a fan of the X1 cable box, yes it has apps etc..but it has sooo much on there that it runs slower.  I prefer my old dvr box, works fine; i also enjoy my roku player; just wish comast would get on board with adding hbogo and other comcast channels.

Contributor

Mulling this over again.... Here's my advice for Comcast:

GET OVER IT.  Give up on trying to support your own set top boxes!

Just support commodity boxes like Roku and generic Android tablets and Android minis.

In the end this will save you a boatload of bucks - 

no inventory of door stop boxes to carry, less customer service calls and support calls,

no engineering costs for developing and contracting production of your own crappy boxes.

I hate to admit it, but you could still get some revenue with a monthly subscription charge for each household that

is using a non-Comcast box.  Hopefully that will be a very low charge, comparable to the cost of one movie on Amazon or Vudu or Google Play - about $3.    Hey, I'm already paying for HBO, Streampix, On-Demand, blah blah blah....  

Contributor

Continuing....

For clueless customers - just sell (or rent) them a Roku or whatver you choose as your favorite  streaming box - perhaps a rebadged Chinese Android mini-PC - and you make a few bucks on that.  Or do a joint marketing deal with the local BigBox electronics house (e.g. BestBuy) -- you could even close your retail Xfinity stores and do a deal to have a sales desk/counter at BestBuy.

New Poster

Just want to add my voice to the chorus - all I want is HBO and HBO GO, have wanted it for years, but Comcast used to want you to get full cable for fifty bucks extra a month with dozens of stupid channels so we'd waste too much of our life surfing.  I want to sit down at night for an hour or so and watch exactly what I want to watch without commercials and a bunch of [I guess the word bull, as in a male cattle, is a bad word].  I will pay fairly for it, too.  But not fifty bucks a month.  So when they start offering HBO alacarte?  Awesome, I think, some progress - but no Roku Support.  Very limited device support.  What if I don't own a bleeping Apple or video game console? I don't want to watch HBO on a computer or a tablet.  What if I just own a TV?

Google Fiber is coming to town here.  When it comes, as long as it isn't stupid expensive, I will be switching and dropping Comcast.

Contributor

I know Comcast is the company everyone loves to hate -- BUT - check out Blast+  which gives you great internet service + HBO -- at an acceptable price (to me in my town) + locals + some basic (not commercial free) cable channels + Streampix which is Comcasts imitation of Netflix.  Different movies, not great, but some that aren't on Netflix, personally I droppred Netflix because I got tired of their selections.

Contributor

BLAST+

BTW - "the price is acceptable" -- as long as you get a good promotional rate.  Best rates are to new customers, but Comcast is trying to keep us regulars too, my rate is locked in for 2 years at only $10/month more than the new customer special.

New Poster

I have Comcast and 2 Roku boxes.....However, I also have a SmarTV where I am able to use that to watch HBO GO on my tv that I do not have hooked up to my cable.  I also have my HDMI cable for things on my computer that I want to watch on my TV.

I love my Roku which is why I have 2.  There are some channels on Roku that are free, but the major ones usually cost monthly. Yes, Comcast rapes its customers by removing channels that werer once available on the basic channel line-up but now you have to go to yet not one but two tiers up to get the one channel that was on basic.  

It is a shame that Comcast doesn't take into consideration those people who live on a fixed income...but is just as greedy as every other corporation out there.  I should be able to watch tv w/cable channels under $111/month and per Comcast I do as my pkg is $89...the other $22 is in all those ridiculous taxes that our Federal/Local governments charge for our using it.  I am waiting to see if the Google or Chromecasts come to my area as we need to stop this non-competetive pricing.

New Poster

I just bought a large new TV for my home and selected this specific model (in lieu of others) because it showed it could connect to HBO GO through Roku. The excitement over this new TV came to a quick halt when I found that Comcast is the only service provider that doesn't allow HBO Go streaming through Roku. I was stunned and thoroughly angered by this. Why is it that Comcast does not allow this streaming while all other providers do? Clearly, Comcast is blocking this to the detriment of consumers because of its own corporate greed. Meanwhile, consumers are made to put up with second-rate service because Comcast believes it can control the market. This experience has me very upset and I do not wish to support Comcast any longer. I will jump at the chance to switch to an alternative provider who will do the right things for their customers. I am leaving you Comcast. Goodbye. 

New Poster

I just bought a large new TV for my home and selected this specific model (in lieu of others) because it showed it could connect to HBO GO through Roku. The excitement over this new TV came to a quick halt when I found that Comcast is the only service provider that doesn't allow HBO Go streaming through Roku. I was stunned and thoroughly angered by this. Why is it that Comcast does not allow this streaming while all other providers do? Clearly, Comcast is blocking this to the detriment of consumers because of its own corporate greed. Meanwhile, consumers are made to put up with second-rate service because Comcast believes it can control the market. This experience has me very upset and I do not wish to support Comcast any longer. I will jump at the chance to switch to an alternative provider who will do right by its customers. I am leaving you Comcast. Goodbye. 

New Poster

Just to add insult to injury...  Not that there is any excuse for blocking programing that has been paid for but it is particularly troubling that you cannot watch HBO Go, etc. even if you pay Comcast for the subscription!!

I have a part time home in Florida with Comcast...  My main residence is in NJ and I use Comcast for phone, internet and cable including a full subscription to HBO, Cinimax, Showtime, Stars, etc.  I can play any of these on my I Pad using the apps but not through my ROKU.

Why would they block their own customers?  Pretty arrogant if you ask me...

New Poster

Roku Streaming and Comcast

I cannot get HBOGo to connect thru ROKU.   Are there plans for Comcast to allow ROKU?   

Bronze Problem Solver

Re: Roku Streaming and Comcast

No as far as I can tell and have read in other message boards comcast has no plans at this time to support HBO to go with Roku.
Contributor

There are 2 or several ways around this, depending how you count:

1.  Video Cable and smart device: You can watch HBO Go on your PC or Smartphone or Tablet.  To transfer to your TV screen use the appropriate HDMI or VGA cable, etc.

This also works for Xfinity Go which gets you Streampix, some "Live" cable channels, and whatnot.

2. Chromecast "dongle" and smart device.  Works with HBO Go,  ESPN, and several not afiliated with Comcast services.

X. ESPNwatch works with Roku - authorized via my Comcast subscription - which just goes to prove Comcast  could have worked out a deal with HBO and Roku also.      Roku<->ESPN<->Comcast  so why not "HBOGo"?  

Contributor

Add another device to the list of peripherals that offer HBOgo: Apple TV. No excuse for Comcast not authenticating on Roku, however.

Frequent Visitor

Comcast in my area regularly gets over the 105 speed down and up. Sure HBOgo would be amazing in my 3 Roku's but with dvr in every room thanks to the new X1 and their on demand plus Netflix i have plenty to watch. Also chromecast, filling in the holes with 3 tablets and 3 phones running Android.

It's the only option other than uverse in my area, and with so many devices + computers in fairly happy. I do have to call every 6 months for a better rate. At this point the only thing I'd take off it came to my area is Google fiber.
Regular Visitor

Comast is the better internet provider in our area, but we are giving serious consideration to switching our TV  service to Verizon since they support more of the streaming options (including HBO GO ) on Roku and reportedly arenn't complete tools about supporting cablecard devices other than Roku.  I got the runaround from them for months on enabling one of their cable cards for a silicon dust device, and in the end they told me the cable card I'd been given was still provisioned to a previous customer;s device and nobody could apparently do anything about it.   The worst was that I was told I would not get charged for the cablecard (especially since we had a DVR and two other cable boxes from them)  but was indeed charged for a few months even though they never got the thing going. 

This is an instance where bundling doesn't seem to provid a value anymore. 

New Poster

I just bought a TV and a Roku Straming stick today excited to just have netflix and HBO in the bedroom. I assumed I would be able to use my Xfinity account for HBO GO with Roku

. Such a disappointment. Hope they manage to come to an agreement.

Frequent Visitor

Roku

How come everyone in the USA except Comcast can use their ROKU with HBOGo . What gives. Would like to see this happen ASAP  Woman Frustrated

Tags (1)
New Poster

Re: Roku

It works with Apple TV....

Contributor

Comcast vs Fios

If you are lucky enough to be served by both Verizon-Fios and Comcast/Xfinity - I would certainly encourage you to look at the options and prices and try both.  Since this "board" is controlled by Comcast, it would probably be best to move this tangential discussion over to dslreports.com where we are free to discuss, compare and review all Broadband providers.

BTW - no matter which you go with, you will likely save money and get more flexibility and features by using an independent VOIP (telephone) service on-top-of whatever Internet provider you choose.  I'm a nut on this - I use three together - google voice, localphone.com and callcentric and my monthly bill is $3.10 - really - when I told the comcast service rep this, he gave up trying to sell me into the "triple play"!

Frequent Visitor

Don't make me cry. Apple is not Roku  Smiley Sad

@patrickjewing wrote:

It works with Apple TV....

Official Employee

@crabhappy wrote:

How come everyone in the USA except Comcast can use their ROKU with HBOGo . What gives. Would like to see this happen ASAP  Woman Frustrated

HBO Go availability on Roku (and other devices) are business decisions and deal with business terms that have not yet been agreed to between the parties.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the input Ted.  You understand that roku has come to a business agreement with EVERY other major TV provider in the US right?  Verizon, Time Warner, Direct TV, Dish network.  Those all happened years ago.  Can you explain the belligerence of Comcast to NOT make such a business deal that so many of Comcast's customers clearly want?

Contributor

Heh Ted-Comcast -- According to most surveys Comcast is among the 2 lowest rated cable companies in the US for customer service and satisfaction.....  That's why people are upset the Comcast is threatening to absorb TimeWarner and ...

Why don't you take a small step in proving us wrong, and push this issue along?

Regular Contributor

TED, the only business that has made a decision to block this is Comcast. ROKU wants it. HBO wants it.

Regular Contributor

Change.org petition

I was watching TV and saw a story about how Change.org has helped lots of people out there fight the man. So I created a petition about this ROKU issue (of course I did not look to see if there was already one, and have deleted mine in favor of helping out the one already there).

https://www.change.org/p/comcast-xfinity-support-hbo-lifetime-and-other-stations-on-roku

If the link gets stripped go to change.org and search for comcast roku and choose the one titled

Support HBO, Lifetime and other stations on Roku

post it to your facebook and email others. They only have 48 signitures maybe we can get some traction.

Contributor

Re: Change.org petition

Thanks for starting this. Not sure if it will have an impact or how or if anyone at Comcast will ever see it, but it never hurts to get the customer in front of them.

Contributor

Re: Change.org petition

Great, I just signed (with my real name)

Regular Visitor

hbogo

as a paying hbo customer I should be able to use hbogo on my roku box

Bronze Problem Solver

Re: hbogo

Comcast blocks it on Roku.

If you have a smart tv, there is mostly likely an HBOgo app to stream to tv.  That is what I use on Samsung TV. 

However I usually use on demand to watch HBO as I don't see any differnce in what is available on HBOgo or Ondemand

Frequent Visitor

Teds:

You can say that Comcast and Roku have not reached a business decision as much you like, but many customers like myself have called the other providers to find out exactly what is involved in enabling a device to use the service. It is nothing more than checking a box on the administration side of the HBO site. At least you tried. Direct TV admitted they were doing it out of spite and Comcast should do the same.

Contributor

I believe there is a big difference between ondemand and hbogo. The latter has the entire hbo inventory, and on demand only has a pretty limited selection. Also it limits what devices you can use.

Contributor

Not any more, at least here, HBO On Demand seems to now have the full HBO library, at least the series. They even ran an advert stating this.
Regular Contributor

>> PUREGENIUS

At least DirecTV finally said WTH and gave in and now allows activation.

New Poster

So anyone who is interested in making this issue more public feel free to upvote and comment in this reddit thread: http://www.reddit.com/r/todayilearned/comments/2eqspk/til_that_comcast_has_prevented_ps3_users_from/ . It's got over two thousand upvotes already but more never hurts and more visibility might help motivate Comcast more to deal with our issue.

Frequent Visitor

@jhusosky wrote:

>> PUREGENIUS

At least DirecTV finally said WTH and gave in and now allows activation.

I am aware that DirecTV now allows activation. I was making the point that they admitted their previous stance had nothing to do with money or a technical situation. Comcast's behavior is beyond disingenuous and they should be ashamed.

New Poster

Yes, PLEASE! We want to watch HBO GO with our Roku! Please make it happen.