Community Forum

ROKU, HBO GO

New Poster

Re: ROKU, HBO GO

Y'all are posting in English.  That's a problem.  Corporations only understand Money.  Our posts here sound like adults in a Charlie Brown cartoon to them.  Here are a couple things you can do that Comcast will understand:

Cancel your TV subscription.  I just did this myself.  Comcast is betting you won't do this because of their stranglehold on the content (not only HBO) that you want to watch.  OTH, after using Roku for a few months, I found that I only watched Comcast TV for an hour or two a week -- definitely not getting $20~40 per hour of entertainment from Comcast TV.

Get Comcast's easements revoked in your area.  Working on this myself.  This is both harder and easier than it sounds, but it's worth investigating -- especially if Comcast has a monopoly in your area, like it does in mine.  Even something as small as writing an email to your town council can help.

Convince streamer manufacturers to pressure HBO, perhaps even to the point of naming HBO in their lawsuits against Comcast.  HBO is FAR from innocent.  There is no need for them to assist Comcast in blocking Roku, yet they are doing just that.  That proves collusion and makes HBO equally guilty.  This problem would vanish if HBO refused help cable providers block Roku.

New Poster

Re: Roku Users Ask For Xfinity Channel

I just got off the phone with RUKU...the worst customer service. Well actually Comcast is the very worst. But, they could not give me an answer as to why Comcast is not listed as a cable provider for premium channels. It renders the unit useless.

There should be a disclaimer on the box the "this unit will not work with xyz calbe systems". 

Where is the customer service anymore?

Bronze Problem Solver

Hardly useless Roku can do a lot more then just show content from a cable provider. Have you considered ordering Netflix, Hulu plus or Amazon prime just to name a few.
New Poster

I can get netflix thru my TIVO

Contributor

HBO is not "blocking" comcast subscribers.  HBO would love you to watch on Roku -- BUT they want to verify that you are a paying subscriber -- they (or a Roku proxy) do that by interfacing with the cable provider's database and checking that you are a paid up HBO subscriber.  If Comcast does not cooperate - HBO/Roku cannot do this authorization check.  So it is almost certainly the case that the fault lies with Comcast -- afterall, nearly every other Cable company works with HBO Go on Roku.

Now you may ask, why doesn't HBO just offer their services "over the top" w/o regard to whether or not you subscribe via your local Cable Company...    Technically HBO could do that, just like Netflix.  BUT they've got contracts and agreements with nearly every Cable Company -- even if they re-negotiated those or let them all run out -- they'd be cutting off their major source of revenue.... Roku people who want HBO and would be willing to pay extra for it are a tiny faction of HBOs audience.

New Poster

I do subscribe to HBO thru Comcast in another city. I know it's Comcast and now RUKU, but I do think they neeed a disclaimer on the box...it's just good customer service.

New Poster

Not sure exactly what "RUKU" is, maybe a chinese knock off of a "Roku"? But why should a device put a disclaimer on a box due to BS from Comcast?

What I think you ment to say is, "why didn't Comcast tell you HBO Go won't work on a Roku" when you signed up for it.

I just got my Roku in and discovered this limitaion of Comcast. Oh well, guess it's time to fully cut my cable from them. I'd rather give my money to Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Hulu Plus.... Yes, I know Hulu is partly owned by Comcast, but a few pennies being pushed their way is better than what I pay now.

New Poster

+1 for authentication for HBO GO app on the Roku. It's really frustrating to pay for content every month and not be able to access it on the devices we want to.

Contributor

Re: ROKU, HBO GO vs ROKU, ESPN

But Comcast/Roku/Espn all play together.  If the world were consistent we would have Comcast/Roku/HBO.  Somebody is nuts here!

Regular Contributor

Nutz is the word. This is the single greatest tool providers have to keep customers. Instead of being worried about loosing 10 bucks on a box rental they are willing to risk loosing the 100-250 bucks a month people are paying for the actual content.

New Poster

Dear Comcast:

Please embrace innovation and try to resist the attraction of short-term gains through exercising restrictive access for streaming content.  We pay you to have access to HBO GO.  We do this willingly so we can watch it.  We don't expect you to restrict the platform or to search through web forums to understand what is and is not allowed.  We certainly don't like trying to register our device to find out that Comcast is not a participant (it is particularly troubling when the list of participants is VERY long.. RCN and Verizon are both participants).  I ask again that you please embrace innovation and try to be a company that has a future rather than only a label of "resistant to change". 

As you currently treat customers, nobody would use you if you did not have a near monopoly in some markets.  Instead of living out these final years as an increasingly outdated residual of cable from the 90's, you have the chance to be nimble and innovative.  Please choose the latter and, in a gesture of sincerity, allow Roku users to watch content that they already pay for.  It serves your interests as much as ours.

All the best,

Any user of your service (seriously...  all of us)

Frequent Visitor

I think it's similar to the "Pay us money or our customers suffer" junk Comcast pulled on Netflix. Roku is a smaller company and can't afford to bribe Comcast for HBO Go support, not yet at least. Microsoft, Apple and Google all paid up, and so Comcast supports HBO Go on those platforms, but they're huge companies and that's for numerous platforms. It also seems that neither Sony nor Samsung have paid up.

New Poster

Wow...42 pages of discussion on Roku & HBO Go!!  Really??  That's concerning as apparently the issue has not yet been resolved.

I love my Rokus...have one for every TV in our house and, believe me, we have flirted with the idea of just having internet since we spend most of our time on the Roku. 

I guess I should preface this with the fact that we just "switched back" to Comcast after leaving them for Verizon FiOS over 2 years ago...as back then, Comcast internet was terribly unreliable.  Now, they are claiming to have fiber optic cable and a faster internet speed than Verizon offers.  So, we're trying them out for the next 30 and will see if what they claim is true.

So, part of the deal was getting HBO for the next 13 months. Which I thought, "cool, now we can actually use our HBO Go channel on our Roku".

(Sigh) I suppose I should start making a list of pros and cons for switching back to Comcast...this being at the top of the cons.

New Poster

Same here, they offered HBO GO to stay in Comcast, and all I have is a Roku. Their support staff don't even know it is not compatible.

Regular Visitor

Re: XFINITY HBO Go on Roku

So are  you gone or was the threat hollow?

Contributor

Do you have any evidence that Comcast is asking for money from Roku?  

According to another poster, it is just a sign-off.

I tend to believe that.  It looks like a stupid policy decision by someone somewhere in the Comcast organization.

HBO is okay with Roku, based on the long list of other Cable companies that support HBOgo on Roku.

Someone in Comcast is okay with Roku based on the FACT that ESPN is availalbe on Roku to Comcast subscribers,

based soley on a paid up Comcast Cable subscription that includes ESPN.  (My family and I watched the world cup on Roku - because they wanted to hear the commentary in Portuguese... As a bonus there were less and less obnoxious commercials on the ESPN/Roku/Portuguese streaming feed.)

My guess is that some nutty guy at Comcast sees Roku as competition, and maybe it is, but it is nuts because they DO let you watch Streamflix and HBOgo on just about any Android device>, and I can plug that into my TV and so use any Android device with a video out as a "competitive" cable box.  As an added bonus HBOgo supports the Chromecast stick, so that works for me even with my Android devices that do not have a video out connector.

Contributor

I have no proof, just a suspicion, but it's more than just filling out the paper work. Comcast is well aware of the issue and chose not to authenticate. I suspect they see Roku competing with HD settop box rentals.
New Poster

Sign the petition to demand Comcast add HBOGO support to ROKU devices. We pay for the service, we should have the right to watch it on the media platform of our choice.

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/398/061/500/demand-comcast-support-hbogo-for-roku/

New Poster

Pay attention Comcast : I want HBO go on my ROKU !!!!!

Frequent Visitor

Re: HBO NO Go?

I am just a customer not an authority. I can feel your frustration though I have been there. While Comcast does not seem to want to admit it. I certainly seems like they have very little support for Roku. I too have a Roku 3 box in fact more ten one in my home. I stream most of my media over a local area network in my home. I have my televisions connected to my network with Roku 3 boxes or Xbox 360s or a PS3. I run a computer all the time on the network that has windows 7/ Windows Media center/ Open Server WMC/ PlayOn/Play Later installed on it. Granted this is a pretty elaborate setup I have to do what I do but it has become somewhat of an addiction for me to build on it. However I have found that when I go to my Roku 3 I can start the PlayOn app and then go to HBOgo which is installed within thePlayOn app and I can then watch the HBOgo on my tv as the PlayOn server authenticates on my computer and just streams it to the Roku.

I hope this was not to complicated of a reply but it is what I have found to work to get HBOgo on my living  room tv to be able to watch shows that are not playing live on HBO.

Frequent Visitor

Re: HBO NO Go?

Yes, I have mentioned this option before on this Forum as it works quite well for me also relative to watching HBOGO on my Roku3 devices.  But it does require use of the PlayOn app and I have found I need to reauthenticate myself (i.e. login again) on my PC every day or so. 

New Poster

I also suggest checking out playon, which enables you to play quite a few channels, doesn't cost a whole lot, and the kicker is being able to download "scripts" for private channels people have put together.  ONECHANNEL is particularly popular, as it contains "more recent" films.  Ya just download the script you want at playonscripts.com (after installing the PlayOn channel on Roku-a PlayOn Settings panel is also installed on your PC), run the script from the PlayOn/Scripts directory, and the channel should miraculously appear within PlayOn on your Roku.  If you installed ONECHANNEL, you'll find a good selection of recent flicks, as well as older classics.  This is the kind of content that could persuade me to cut the cord.

Regular Visitor

Roku streaming device

Why can't I use hbo to go or other channels on my roku device, hmm because comcast does not offer that ability!!! Direct tv does so does verizon. Do I need to cancel. Customer service couldn't even help, I tried explaining that I just wanted to let comcast management know that they needed to add roku to their list of streaming devices. Instead the guy sends me to HBO to go web page and tries to sell me a home security system. Comcast add roku or I will be canceling my service I refuse to deal with companies that do not put customers first. There are plenty of other providers who will take my money and provide me with the services I want.
New Poster

ROKU and Comcast can't agree on a price. Simple as that.
New Poster

ROKU and Comcast can't agree on a price. Simple as that.
New Poster

Comcast give us this option! We pay for the service!

Regular Visitor

HBO is going to be selling subscriptions without cable in 2015, which could be less then 3 months from now.  Great news for everyone posting here bad news for Comcast.

http://recode.net/2014/10/15/hbo-says-its-going-to-start-selling-on-the-web-next-year/

Bronze Problem Solver

Seems unlikely Time Warner would want to make any kind of long term plans with HBO or anybody else for that matter when it's quite likely they will be owned by Comcast very shortly.
Highlighted
Contributor

Time Warner and Time Warner Cable are separate companies.
Comcast is trying to buy TWCable.
Bronze Problem Solver

Ahh Yes I stand corrected. I have to say I like the idea and I am sure other content providers will jump on this as well in the near future. Comcast knows it's days are numbered with tv services. : )
New Poster

Just off the top of my head.

HBOGo has way more content than xfinity HBO on demand.  The ridiculous amounts of menus you have to go through to get to what you want in HD on Xfinity HBO demand.  The horrible On demand interface.  On demand has no memory of where you are in a series.  On demand is slow and if you are watching a series it might take 5 minutes to scroll through all the episides to get to the one you want, and after watching that episode you now have to do it again except scroll through now one more row to watch the next one.  If you hit enter but Xfinity on demand but since On Demand is so slow you don't know it was still scrollinging through the episodes you load the wrong episode and have to go all the way back and start over.

New Poster

Hbo go on the roku

Xfinity website says you can stream HBO GO to my roku, but when trying to activate on HBO go website, xfinity is not listed as a internet provider choice. Can we use it on the roku or not?

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Hbo go on the roku

Where on the Comcast site does it say that it allows HBO on Roku?

Regular Visitor

Re: Hbo go on the roku

why not? its 2014, is xfinity want us to start using direct tv????

New Poster

Thank You for the link to sign ...I am suprised that there is 42 pages on this yet I was only the 23rd signature ....COME ON PEPOLE it takes no longer to sign then it does to post on this forum

Contributor

We have to be careful what we ask for, because we just might get it. There is a big risk here that in the process of unbundling of tv channels, consumers end up with even bigger bills, and certainly a lot fewer choices. This could lead to further consolidation of content providers, giving them even more pricing power against the consumer. All I really want is to be able to access all of the channels I pay for (including HBO) on any of my devices, including roku. Yes I'd like my bill to be a bit lower, but personally I'm more concerned with access and quality of delivery (ok, Comcast sux here as well) rather than just cost.

Bronze Problem Solver

What the cable company and content providers need to understand is we are only going to pay so much and then it's over we will simply cancel then they get nothing. There is a fine line that is forming between what they offer and what we are willing to continue to pay so that better be careful.
Frequent Visitor

I wouldn't mind losing half my bill and half the channels I don't touch.. Even a third of my bill and those channels...  It's just going to come to a point where government has to step in and open up infrastructure to competition... That's when our bills will fall, but they will have to make sure expansion continues especially fiber and in rural areas fiber to node. Which they may have to subsidize to make it attractive to companies currently. 

New Poster

HBO GO for Roku

Hello, first post so I'm not sure if this is the right forum.  Why does comcast not support the HBO GO app for roku?  In my area only Apple TV, Xbox and Samsung TV is able to be activated.  Thanks.

New Poster

Re: HBO GO for Roku

@mmbuckwa wrote:

Why does comcast not support the HBO GO app for roku?

Monopoly.

They wouldn't be able to get away with this if they had any competitor.

New Poster

Comcast why can't I use hbo go on my roku? So its either rent your boxes monthly or nothing at all? What a scam, I can't wait until hbo sells their subscription outside of Comcast, then I will cancel my service with you criminals.
Frequent Visitor

I wonder why ComcASS offers this blog service because the obviously don't read it or ever reply to it.

Regular Visitor

Comcast is ignoring customer requests for Showtime Anytime on Roku too.

Note:  All other cable companies support both HBO Go and Showtime Anytime on Roku.

Good news:  Next year you can subscribe to standalone HBO Go and stop paying Comcast for HBO.  The same goes for Showtime Anytime.

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-Website/Showtime-Anytime-on-Roku-Comcast-Inaction-Thread/m-p/... https://gigaom.com/2011/11/04/hbo-go-for-roku-comcast-directv/

http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/news/hbo-go-standalone-service-2015-20141015

http://www.engadget.com/2014/11/05/standalone-showtime/

New Poster

AT&T is currently offering Intenernet Max Plus Internet (18mbps),  U-Basic TV with HBO and HBOGo for $39/mo.   

Unlike Comcast, they will allow my Roku to authenitcate with HBOGo.

Seems like the answer is obvious.

New Poster

I was very disappointed to find that I cannot access my subscription to HBO on my new Roku.  Comcast, get with the times and allow your over paying customers access the content they are paying for.

New Poster

Why would Comcast not allow HBO Go and Showtime Anytime on any streaming device such as Roku?  Seems silly that you can get it on a computer but not on a TV.  I have a TV in a living area and only use it for streaming.  Don't want all the boxes and wires.  I have the Roku stick that is hidden behind the TV and therfore nothing shows.  Get with it Comcast.  We pay for the service....give it to us!

Frequent Visitor

I cancelled my HBO awhile back. Wish I could cancel Comcast, but no other options in my area.

Frequent Visitor

YET!!!

New Poster

Sign me up as another customer who will ditch HBO via Comcast and buy direct when that is an option; something they could easily prevent by stopping to block.  Comcast won't be bothered until there is a financial reason to do so.  

Will customers do that anyways?  I probably wouldn't unless it is a big cost difference in the subscription; more convenient to have just one bill with everything.  But if it isn't an option, absofreakinglutely.  

Frequent Visitor

Re: ROKU, HBO GO is a NO GO!

We have been an Internet only subscriber for years. First through Adelphia, then Comcast. Our reception for broadcast TV via our roof antenna is excellent and we use a Channelmaster Plus DVR, Streaming Netflix, NetFlix DVDs, and Amazon Prime.  We never subscribed to TV though a cable company and our download speed is adequate for steaming video. (Performance Starter). Our over the air channels are perfect in high definition.

We became aware of the special that Comcast Offers called Internet Plus which included basic OTA channels, HBO and increased Internet speed that costs little more than what we are already paying, with an increase in cost after 12 months. We subscribed to Internet Plus and planned to put Comcast's low definition descrambler box in the closet since we wouldn't need it.  We really wanted to access HBO on our Roku. Imagine our surprise when we found out that Comcast Xfinity does not support HBO Go on our Roku!

There are quite a few ISPs that will work with HBOgo on the Roku.  We cancelled Internet Plus and went back to Performance Starter. We will purchase Internet only HBO when it becomes available. I guess, what is also grinding my grits, is that Comcast (and Broadcasters) require us to pay broadcast fees for something we will never watch over Comcast since we receive free over the air in all its stunning glory.

As an aside to this, the descrambler box arrived today and it looks like an oversized dinosaur VHS player from the 1990's.  The Roku, in comparison is small and elegant. I am going to the Comcast store to return it, and get a receipt since I have trust issues with Comcast.

ATT Uverse is available and Google is building fiber; so we do have other options.