Community Forum

ROKU, HBO GO

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Re: HBO NO Go?

I think Amazon will only offer older shows of HBO [more than 3 years old] and it starts around May 21st. This should seal the deal if you are considering cutting Comcast's TV cord. After cutting the cord, we now have great TV as well as internet service for less than 50 bucks a month with no price increases or junk fees. Of course, you would have to add the cost of a Netflix and Amazon subscription to this but it is still an incredible deal. Although they have locked my post, you can still read about it by clicking on the following link…

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-Website/WE-WANT-NETFLIX-SUPER-HD/td-p/1691409

Comcast has locked down the conversation thread noted above so it cannot be updated. My most recent review of Comcast can be found by clicking the link below. If you find this updated review of Comcast helpful, please post a note in the comment section that follows it…

http://www.dslreports.com/comment/1579/87352

Frequent Visitor

94heritage wrote:

What are you talking about?  I just did a search for Deadwood, and it said "Puchase from $1.99", but no option to watch on Amazon Prime. Same thing for Sopranos. Real Time with Bill Maher not even there.

They will be up May 21st, and it's only older (3+ years) content. It's still better than what we had.

New Poster

HBO Go Roku 3?

So I didn't see comcast/Xfinity listed in the participating providers. Now I know it would not take a technological marvel to make this happen and would really like to know why I can't get hbo go on my roku while If I had one of the other dozens of providers I could. If centurylink (the only other provider in my area) didn't provide horrible internet, I would switch.

New Poster

Re: ROKU, HBO GO

The very SECOND Google announces it is launching in Colorado I'm making the switch.
New Poster

Roku HBO

I was very disappointed to learn today that, while we're remodeling and I'm unable to use my normal tv location for which I'm paying, I'm unable to use Xfinity and my HBO subscription to access it on a tv in another room in our house via HBO Go.  Researching it, I find that it is because Comcast refuses to sign an agreement with Roku. Comcast -- shame on you!!!

New Poster

This is Comcast's fault and Comcaast needs to change its ways or those of us who spend loads of money subscribing will jump ship at the earliest opportunity. 

New Poster

Yes!!! Comcast is ticking me off.

New Poster

Re: HBO Go on Roku?

Shame on Comcast.. 

Regular Contributor

Re: Roku HBO

Lyndagard, it's even worse they just refuse to check the little box on the provider side of the HBOGO site that says ROKU and SAMSUNG.

I am glad they have authorized FOXNOW unlike DTV.

I have resorted to watching HBOGO with my Chromecast, just grades my cheese everytime I do.

Frequent Visitor

What's funny is Comcast still claims it's about being able to support the customers, but they obviously had no problem allowing other services to work through the Roku on there. Bunch of liars, what a shameful company.

Regular Visitor

This thread is over three years old! Way to go Comcast!

Regular Contributor

I have roku's. I also had antenna, DVD players, dsl and TiVo for 10 months.

I now have TiVo mini and moca netowrk, and cheap blast for $50, + HBO for 5. I own the tivos, with lifetime, (able to afford when only pay $20 for Internet and tv for 11 months).

Run Netflix and YouTube through TiVo also.

In my area, xfinity has on demand for cable cards, and I can watch it in the TiVo mini in my bedroom. Digital economy does get on demand, they have upped the content for HBO on demand (autopsy anyone?). What is even better is the lack of monthly fee for boxes, no hd fee (can't charge on cable card, they tried), add expander for $100 bucks larger recording capacity, non if the headaches from the early x1 days, and amazon prime on bix right next to tv,

If I really want HBO go, I'll just buy an apple tv (how many think they will allow it on amazon fire tv, heehee?). Get a $2.50 month credit for customer owned equipment too.
|----------------------------------------------------|
I am a simple customer, my posts are my own experiences and opinions.
Current Starter Double Play Customer with Blast Pro Upgrade.
New Poster

I'm a new Roku 3 owner and new to HBO,  and was stunned when I tried to activate HBO Go on my Roku and found out Comcast isn't on the list of providers.

Way to go, Comcast.  Please make it available.

Frequent Visitor

Help_Meplease wrote:
If I really want HBO go, I'll just buy an apple tv (how many think they will allow it on amazon fire tv, heehee?). Get a $2.50 month credit for customer owned equipment too.

Yes, we can all go get Apple TVs, rent/buy cable boxes, or connect a PC to a TV and get HBO Go that way. The point is that we really shouldn't have to be forced to go buy more stuff when, with little more than the flip of a switch, Comcast could allow HBO Go (for which we already pay) through the equipment we already have. They choose not to, and they should.

Frequent Visitor

Comcast has no intention of doing that.  It's illogical.  The people I talk with at least dispell believeable BS (see link below; I got some of the same reasons).  The one I liked lately was it only works on wireless devices.  I said my Roku is a wireless device.  She said no, only works on cell phones and tablets.  Oh, you mean only on a device where i can logon to Comcast.net.  She said yes, it's a technical thing and that's why they call it 'to go'.  I almost split my sides laughing.

This ranks right up there with "the federal government requires us to encrypt basic TV.  IT'S THE LAW!"  What a crock.  It's an excuse to charge me $7 or more for a set top box.  Just more *stuff* sucking electricity next to my BedRoom TV.  (http://www.fcc.gov/guides/cable-system-encryption)

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20140305/14254626446/comcast-still-blocking-hbo-go-roku-now-playsta...

Contributor

Agree with Smithdb -- just wait till they get the new FCC net neutrality stuff passed - then you'll need to pay extra to stream netflix or watch youtube to any device you connect via Comcast ISP...

I find the HD technology fee to be the biggest insult - let me pay extra for an HD package, provide my own HD boxes (Tivos), pay to rent your cable cards, and still pay an HD technology fee -- almost as funny as the 'Thanks for chosing Comcast' line when they answer the phone...

Regular Visitor

HBO Go offers ten times the movie choices of On-Demand.  There is no comparison.

Regular Visitor

Now I have two reasons to switch to another server.  Problems with Roku and not offering the SEC Network.  Everyday it becomes clearer.

New Poster

Just unpacked my shiny new Roku Box.  No HBO Go.  Way to Go Comast!  I would switch to Uverse but I am not mad enough yet.  About every two years, my current provider gets me mad enough to move.  Last time AT&T Uverse was so bad I moved to Comcast.  Now getting close to moving the other way.  

There really is no way to win.  They all stink.

Frequent Visitor

The recent ads Comcast put on the air confirm what we all knew: that the company just doesn't think much of their customers.

Fastest WiFi? Really?

"Do you see any buffering?" while 1) He wasn't streaming the game, 2) It was a game that is well known , and does not have online multiplayer at this time.

Shilling "2 free wifi hot spots" for Comcast Business.

I get that they're going after idiots, but yeah, it pains me to know I give this company my hard earned money. So we're going to get this "No Roku for technical/support reasons" BS until Roku caves and pays them some money, Netflix-style.

Frequent Visitor

jhusosky wrote:

Lyndagard, it's even worse they just refuse to check the little box on the provider side of the HBOGO site that says ROKU and SAMSUNG.

I am glad they have authorized FOXNOW unlike DTV.

I have resorted to watching HBOGO with my Chromecast, just grades my cheese everytime I do.

You may not be aware, but Comcast started checking the box for Samsung a while ago. Now they are not checking the boxes for the Roku and PS3.

Frequent Visitor

Bye-Bye Comcast!!! Man Tongue  I let my service run out, and Dish just gave me a heck of a 2 year deal. Now I just have to figure out what to do about internet now (I'm currently tethered to my phone). DSL seems like it would be slow for HD Roku.  Can anyone shed any light on this?  Maybe I'll just use Comcast for internet only.  Then I can "stick it to the man", and use their service to stream HBO GO to my TV's. 

Regular Contributor

Beleive it or not. Most places Comcast Internet is your best bet and the service is nothing like the TV which you aready know.

Good luck with Dish, I have to call them right now about the Horror show they have put me throught for the last two years. My father-in-laws altzhimers kicked into high gear about 3 months into our 2 year agreement (when he became afraid of the TV and would not watch it, and would disconnect everything as soon as we hooked it up again) and I could not get him/me out of it. They just billed me for a receiver that he hid and thats of course when I found it finally. See if they will let me send it back now. Also they will charge you to return your equipment.

Regular Contributor

I am glad to see that they have removed some of the Samsung blockage.

Now come on Comcast, you could do the same thing for Roku and PS3's, it wont hurt you.

Contributor

It will hurt them. Comcast has invested in the X1 platform and charges extra for HD. Roku competes with these.
Frequent Visitor

jhusosky wrote:

Beleive it or not. Most places Comcast Internet is your best bet and the service is nothing like the TV which you aready know.

Good luck with Dish, I have to call them right now about the Horror show they have put me throught for the last two years. My father-in-laws altzhimers kicked into high gear about 3 months into our 2 year agreement (when he became afraid of the TV and would not watch it, and would disconnect everything as soon as we hooked it up again) and I could not get him/me out of it. They just billed me for a receiver that he hid and thats of course when I found it finally. See if they will let me send it back now. Also they will charge you to return your equipment.

I am sorry for the situation you and your father are in, but know that Comcast would likely treat you no better than Dish. Getting out of contracts with any company is a tough, often futile battle. Dish charged you for a receiver that your father hid? Comcast charged customers for equipment lost when Hurricane Ike destroyed their homes.

http://abc13.com/archive/6460278/

They also charged customers during service outages when Hurricane Irene hit.

http://www.phonenews.com/comcast-lost-service-due-to-hurricane-irene-is-act-of-god-refusing-account-...

Only after a lot of bad press was Comcast willing to rectify the situation. If Comcast is willing to extend any courtesy to anyone its because they think its in their best interest as far as money making goes, not because they care about you at all. This is true of most companies.

Frequent Visitor

Bayshun said:
Comcast charged customers for equipment lost when Hurricane Ike destroyed their homes.

They also charged customers during service outages when Hurricane Irene hit.

That was one of the last straws for me with Comcast. Our upstairs caught fire last fall, and the whole 2nd floor was a total loss. We had no insurance.  Comcast added almost $400 to my bill for one old, antiquated DVR that was in my son's room. We are RENTING this equipment from them.  If I rent my house to someone, it is MY responsibilty to carry fire insurance on it, not the renters. I'll miss the blazing fast internet, but I surely won't miss Comcast, and their "customer experience".

New Poster

I wrote them again today and the same answer, "We have no ETA to when this will be available on Roku". I gave up. You can buy Chromecast for 35.00 at Walmart. You can then stream HBOGo from your Iphone or laptop. Very good streaming rate as well. Seems Strange that Comcast won't allow it. 

sandyandy wrote:

I have HBO GO on the computer and on my iPad.  I really want it on Roku, too.  Any chance of that???

Frequent Visitor

You didn't need Chrome cast. You can stream from your PC to your Roku via a few different options.
Frequent Visitor

You didn't need Chrome cast. You can stream from your PC to your Roku via a few different options.
New Poster

This is ridiculous.

I pay for Comcast and HBO. Let us watch HBO Go on Roku and PS3. Bring your business into the 21st century.

I plan on terminating my TV service if this does not change.

Regular Contributor

what can you use to cast from PC to Roku?

Regular Contributor

Bayshun is right, Dish will screw you over, I know, dosen't make Comcast any better just that no Dish wouldn't help. Maybe it's got something to do with that they both use RED as there Logo color ;-)

Contributor

Found this article on the net -- hopefully it turns into good news for everyone here:

http://multichannel.com/news/content/next-tv-comcast-testing-tv-everywhere-authentication-apple-tv-r...

Contributor

Interesing news...but if they were serious it would take them about a week to get this done. Probably putting on a show for the regulators as they try to get the merger done.

Regular Contributor

FrozenSlime wrote:

Found this article on the net -- hopefully it turns into good news for everyone here:

http://multichannel.com/news/content/next-tv-comcast-testing-tv-everywhere-authentication-apple-tv-r...

I'm in the group of Comcast subscribers who's systems are being sold to a new company being formed by Comcast, Time-Warner and Charter Cable. I wonder what's going to happen with the X1's we have. Do we keep them, will they still be updated with the new features, etc. I don't think this is going to go well.

New Poster

Smith is correct. I have HBO GO on all of my devices and my TV and I have Xfinity/Comcast the same as everyone else.

Make sure when you sign in not to click on *Existing User* even though you already have an account with Comcast. When signing into HBO GO, first go online on your computer to get a HBO GO *ID* and when you sign in on your tablets and smartphones, click on *NEW USER*.

Cyn

New Poster

It seems this problem has been happening since 2011 and they still have not solved it. I have an HBO subsriction. I have Comcast. I have an XD roku player. I have the HBO Go App.

So why in the name of god can I not activate the HBO Go app? What the eff, Comast? People have been complaining about this for over three years and you still haven't solved this? Are you trying to lose all of your customers? Is it really that difficult to call up Roku, tell them you want to be added as a provider for HBO people, and just be done with it? Over 40 pages of comments of people wanting this. Isn't that enough? Or do you kinda hate all of your customers?

New Poster

HBO GO & ROKU :(

I just added HBO to my account, and was so excited to be able to finally use the HBO GO app on my Roku.  To my dismay, Comcast/Xfinity does not support HBO GO for the Roku.  I was advised to contact my service provider and ask to have HBO GO available for Roku streaming players.  Please add Roku streaming!!!  That way I can stay in my room and my room mate will thank me for not sitting on the couch in my underwear.  It's a win win for us all!!! 

Sincerely,

Sad Roku Hermit

New Poster

Re: HBO to Go

I would also like to see Comcast Xfinity support HBOGO on the Roku, as well as all other devices.

In addition.  Comcast Xfinity needs to have their own app on the Roku. 

For the price of the service it should come with us anywhere.

Please do the right thing Comcast Xfinity.  Let people use their service wherever possible.  We are paying customers.

New Poster

Request: HBO Go and Xfinity Go on Roku, PS3, and all devices HBO allows

I would like to see Comcast Xfinity support HBOGO on the Roku, as well as all other devices.

In addition.  Comcast Xfinity needs to have their own app on the Roku. 

For the price of the service it should come with us anywhere.

Please do the right thing Comcast Xfinity.  Let people use their service wherever possible.  We are paying customers.

Both HBO and Roku are pointing fingures at Comcast Xfinity as the problem with not being available on their devices.

My advice; step up to the plate and offer what everyone wants and be competitive not restrictive.  There is no reason that the largest cable company in the US is not compliant.

Contributor

I too am completely frustrated with Comcast's nonsense of allowing HBO Go on my phone but not Roku.  I have three Rokus, all of which I bought to avoid paying near $40 for box rentals.  So now I basically hook my Samsung Note 3 which does allow HBO Go to whatever TV I'm watching.  Problem solved except navigating on the phone is not as convenient as a remote control.   Google Fiber can't come fast enough.

New Poster

Re: Roku Users Ask For Xfinity Channel

I generally don't use my cable box. It stays off. The major problem is that I don't pay Comcast extra for HD service, so my cable box won't let me watch anything in HD. That's unacceptable. More minor problems would be needing to use another remote, more electricty, need to change TV inputs, and slower loading times. I want a smart TV app so I don't have to get up and fetch the HDMI cable to connect to the laptop. I also want it, so that I have the option of leaving my laptop in my bedroom and still watch my Xfinity shows in the living room. Plus have the remote control work to pause the show.

Contributor

Re: Roku Users Ask For Xfinity Channel

Love the name -- great book!

I agree, to me, Comcast charging for a HD fee on top of their HD service teir would be like Ford selling you a car, and then wanting you to pay extra for the optional gas tank - total scam!

I wrote to all my state members of congress complaiining about the proposed merger and Comcast current unfair practices of HD Tech Fee, plus charging for a DTA unless you have the basic level of service.  I'm sure it will make no difference, as it seems the lobbiests of huge companies have a lot more say with Congress than an individual voter (which smacks me as very wrong too).

New Poster

Roku and HBOGO

Why does the leading cable TV provider in the United States (Comcast) not allow HBOGO on Roku?  All the other cable providers do - including AT&T UVerse.

Guess it's time to go shopping again for a new cable provider.

New Poster

Sooooooooo.... When will Comcast step up and tell us why they won't allow HBO Go to stream on Roku? Comcast seems to be asleep at the wheel...... Soon Comcast will go the way of AOL... remeber them? You can't control everything Comcast people will find away to get what they want with you or without you.

New Poster

Here it is 2014 and is Streaming on every device but Roku.
Will it ever stream HBO Go on Roku?
Regular Contributor

Re: Roku and HBOGO

Including DirecTV finally and not to mention Time-Warner Cable that they just bought.

Frequent Visitor

3E wrote:
Here it is 2014 and is Streaming on every device but Roku.
Will it ever stream HBO Go on Roku?

You are almost correct. Comcast will not authenticate the PS3 as well.

New Poster

I am about to end my 16 year relationship with comcast. Not only HBO, but AETV, LIFETIME and countless others. It is outrageous to see all of these small cable companies, large cable companies and satellite providers on the list for these apps/networks. Comcast Mafia.....