Community Forum

ROKU, HBO GO

New Poster

Re: ROKU, HBO GO

I can't BELIEVE Comcast still doesn't support this...

Why support it on every other device. Why let it work with a Chromecast? Why let it work with Apple TV but block it on the Roku?

You're royally p i s s ing off your customers who want content. No wonder why your subscriber base continues to plummet.

Another dissatisfied customer, canceling. And no, there's nothing the retention department can do to keep me as a customer. AT&T and FiOS are both avaialble in my area now. Syonara. 

New Poster

Re: HBO NO Go?

The reason I want to stream through Roku is to use the roku remote and listen to the audio without disturbing others.

New Poster

Re: Roku Users Ask For Xfinity Channel

use the remote to listen to audio on Roky 3

New Poster

I just recently got a Roku 3 as well as a Smart TV so expect the same privilege of using HBO Go with these devices that I would be allowed with other providers. It would be greatly appreciated if Comcast got on board as quickly as possible, but the alternative is that if they don't, I'll take my business elsewhere.

It's crazy this is still an issue.
New Poster

Seriously........Roku and you can't work something out ?

May have to go elsewhere.........

New Poster

Sandy, I just purchased a Roku 3 and hooked it up last Saturday.  Like you, I was disappointed that HBO Go is not offered as a streaming channel through Comcast Xfinity. I would like to access HBO Go on my HDTVs rather than only watching on my tablet or computers.  I am a relatively new Xfinity customer, having dumped Verizon FIOS for Comcast after 6 years.  I am satisified with Comcast Xfinity overall, but Verizon is offering HBO Go streaming to Roku.  I am sure Comcast will likley catch up soon.

Frequent Visitor

Don't hold your breath - Comcast has known about this issue for years and ignores it. There is a "work around" that you can do. Playon is a private channel you can add to your roku - it's actually a pretty cool service - especially being able to record for later viewing. HBOGO is available on Playon along with lots of other channels.  The ability to save for later playing is great!

Regular Visitor

I am a long time Comcast Customer who pays for the service and HBO. I find it frustrating that I can't get HBO Go on Roku via a service I have already paid for.  

New Poster

How do you set this channel up in Roku? I couldn't find an option to add a private channel.

New Poster

ROKU Streaming

I have Roku in the rooms that are not with WiFi TV's or DVD players.  I cannot get HBO Go because Comcast / Xfinity does not support Roku.  I was told this am that Comcast considers Roku a competitor and therefore does not support it.  

This is ridiculous.  I pay for HBO, I get it on my computer, on my DVD and on my Tivo by live streaming.   

For Comcast to not support this mode is an outdated idea and will cost Comcast many subscribers who actually DO subscribe to HBO and MAX.  
The executives at Comcast should take a close look at what is happening out there and get a better understanding at what is and is not competition.

Thanks

Regular Visitor

Re: ROKU Streaming and HBO

Let’s talk about the real competition.  When I had Verizon and subscribed to HBO, I enjoyed HBO GO on Roku.  Now that I have Comcast, I cannot get HBO GO on Roku.  Therefore, Verizon provides a more complete HBO package while Comcast provides an incomplete HBO package.  I get more from Verizon when I subscribe to HBO.  I should switch back to Verizon to get more HBO, right?  This is just common sense.  Why doesn’t Comcast listen to or understand what its customers want?  Why doesn’t Comcast value what its customers want?  This is the essence of customer relationship management.  This should be their most important goal.

Silver Problem Solver
Moved:

Re: ROKU Streaming and HBO

Regular Visitor

How to subscribe to HBO and get HBO GO on Roku

When we subscribe to HBO we expect to get HBO GO on Roku.
When I had Verizon and subscribed to HBO, I enjoyed HBO GO on Roku.  Now I have Comcast and cannot get HBO GO on Roku.  Hence, Verizon provides a more complete HBO package while Comcast provides an incomplete HBO package.  I get much more HBO from Verizon.  HBO On Demand is very limited and X1 costs more.  I should switch back to Verizon to get more HBO, right?  It is a better value.  This is just common sense.
Why doesn’t Comcast listen to or understand what its customers want?  Why doesn’t Comcast value what its customers want?  This is the essence of customer relationship management.  This should be their most important goal.

Tags (1)
Frequent Visitor

Re: How to subscribe to HBO and get HBO GO on Roku

I read another thread about Roku/HBOGO/Comcast and it makes sense that Comcast sees Roku as the competition. I believe HBOGO should offer their app in another manner if the provider doesn't want to include it for Roku.

New Poster

The content on hob.go is much better. I can see all the episodes of previous series and they also have more movies.
Frequent Visitor

Either comcast needs to discount it's price for HBO subscription or simply allow us to use hbogo which is advertised as being part of the subscription price to HBO. Plain and simple false advertising.

Comcast isn't gonna change - they have known about this issue for years and all we get is "thanks for the feedback" and nothing else.

Now that equal access is history, grab your wallet tight as they figure out how to get everyone to pay more for access to content from various sources over "their" network. I'm expecting another "thanks for your feedback" email message for this post. Guess to they, that answers the issue without having to actually do anything about it.

New Poster

But you CAN get HBO GO on Apple TV... Just not ROKU anymore
Frequent Visitor

Wouldn't it be nice if we could just pay HBO directly and bypass the cable/sat. middleman???? 

I finally broke down and bought a Chromecast so I could watch HBOGO...now I have a Roku and Chromecast hooked up to the same TV!

Frequent Visitor

I have the same.  The Chromecast is OK, but having to turn my tablet on to pause is a pain...never mind the clumsy rewind interface.  I keep wanting to reach for my roku remote.

A dedicated chromecast remote with buttons and maybe with a small android screen to do the initial launch from would be great...kickstarter anyone?

The audio/video quality through chromecast is fine.

My first choice of course would be for Comcast to listen to it's frustrated "customers".

New Poster

HBO GO on ROKU streaming device

Is there any chance Comcast will have HBO GO for the ROKU device?

New Poster

I'm a new Comcast subscriber and am shocked to see that somehow Comcast, the largest cable provider in the country, doesn't allow HBO Go through a Roku box. Talk about not caring about their customers. As others point out we're already paying extra to have an HBO package.

In the Boston area we have at least Comcast and Verizon Fios, and in some towns RCN. I may change back again from Comcast but FIOS is VERY expensive if they're not in the mood to give you a deal. They charge double for many items to what Comcast charges, like $20 a month for the DVR, $25 for HBO, etc. I'll just have to play them off against each other, but unfortunately changing providers is not at all seamless, and my wifi with Comcast seems very glitchy at present.

Regular Contributor

OK comcast yesterday DTV announced that ROKU users on their system can now get authorized for HBOGO.

Comcast is now the last major service to block activation
Frequent Visitor

Re: Roku and HBOGO

RokuMan,

I'd LOVE to know if you ever got your Roku to work within Comcast. I really want to watch Netflix on the big new tv I purchased upon moving into a " Comcast Only" area. It makes me SOOO angry. SOOO ANGRY!

It has caused within me an absolute HATRED of Comcast.

Did you do it? Can you help me?

I'm ALSO being told that I will not ever receive wifi in a different area,(the living room about 25 feet away from my bedroom modem ) of my ONE BEDROOM APARTMENT ,(Hello....SMALLLLL area here???) unless I pay for hundreds of dollars for electrical observation by an independent company,  because "They're NOT electricians", and won't even TRY to solve my problem. I hate Comcast.

I just wonder if you've ever had success for Roku, within Comcast....

Thanks,

WITHOUT ROKUWoman.

Frequent Visitor

You don't live in Heritage Hill, Somers, by any chance???

Same annoyingly frustrating issue I'm having.

I'm VERY P.O'd.

Frequent Visitor

Apparently not,because there are SOO many people posting with the exact same trouble. 

Selfish, greedy and uncaring Comcast doesn't really give a S*** if their customers have what they want.they just couldn't care less.

Regular Contributor

@ladyhobbit wrote:

I'm ALSO being told that I will not ever receive wifi in a different area,(the living room about 25 feet away from my bedroom modem ) of my ONE BEDROOM APARTMENT ,(Hello....SMALLLLL area here???) unless I pay for hundreds of dollars for electrical observation by an independent company,  because "They're NOT electricians", and won't even TRY to solve my problem. I hate WITHOUT ROKUWoman.

I hated Comcast as well....that being said, are you trying to get your WIFI on their router or do you have your own wireless router?  I would suggest you get a good router, such as a linksys, hardwire the Comcast connection into that via the CAT5 cable....I should think you could get a Wireless signal throughout your apartment with that. If it doesn't work, you can always return the wireless router to the store you purchased it from, and most will now walk you through the setups....

Regular Contributor

ladyhobbit, your Roku will work with Comcast. It's only HBOGO with Comcast that wont.

My Roku 2XS is 27 feet and a door and wall away from my wireless router and works fine. Signal strength is Excellent the majority of the time. The only way you may have problems is if there's a lot of wireless traffic in the apartment building. If so, just try different wireless channel settings in the wireless router.

Regular Contributor

As far as the roku issue cant help there but with your wifi issue. just geta standard docsys 3 modem for internet dont use comcasts all in one phone wifi cable modem they suck and arent user configurable. Not like some of the retail routers.

I have just a standard Motorola docsys 3 modem and I have a Linksys 802.11AC router. works much better with way better range. It has multiple radios at 2.4GHZ and 5GHZ

Regular Contributor

rwspears wrote: It has multiple radios at 2.4GHZ and 5GHZ

That's not one of those Xfinity routers that's also acting as an Xfinity public hot-spot, is it?

Regular Contributor

First I have to say I was shocked at how good the wireless router I hooked up at my father-in-laws last month. It is at the extreme end of the house and I am getting good signal all over.

At home I use a docs 3 Motorola modem with an old linksys wireless router with the wireless turned off. For wireless I use Ubiquity Unifi access points, they create a seamless mesh through out my house inside and out.
Regular Contributor

@rwspears wrote:

As far as the roku issue cant help there but with your wifi issue. just geta standard docsys 3 modem for internet dont use comcasts all in one phone wifi cable modem they suck and arent user configurable. Not like some of the retail routers.

I have just a standard Motorola docsys 3 modem and I have a Linksys 802.11AC router. works much better with way better range. It has multiple radios at 2.4GHZ and 5GHZ

Using the same setup...and I've got wifi all over the house...we're on an acre lot, and hubby's shed is about 1/4 acre to the back of the house...and he has coverage there.

Regular Contributor

Nope. Its a http://store.linksys.com/Routers/Linksys-EA6900-App-Enabled-AC1900-Dual-Band-Wireless-Router-with-Gi...

I want to get this http://www.linksys.com/en-us/wrt-wireless-router

@workerdummy wrote:

rwspears wrote: It has multiple radios at 2.4GHZ and 5GHZ

That's not one of those Xfinity routers that's also acting as an Xfinity public hot-spot, is it?

Frequent Visitor

Astonished that Comcast still doesn't allow HBO Go. DirecTV now allows it, meaning Comcast's loyal customers are the only ones being screwed over. A clear sign that they don't care about their customers and deserve the well-earned title of most hated company in America.

Way to go, Comcast! Keep up the good work!

New Poster

I would like to stream shows that are available on HBO go to my Roku.

New Poster

there are shows online on my HBO Go that are not available on Demand. I would like to stream them to any of my other devices such as Roku or Chromecast. It appears comcast does not want to allow me to watch these shows unless I am on the laptop. Is this correct?

Contributor

Yes. That's exactly what the 1,800 previous posts are about.
Not applicable

I certainly have found it revealing that Comcast's brand was rated the worst in the nation, worse than giant poluters like BP Gas and the other petroleum companies!  And policies like blocking Roku from HBOGo are exactly what reinforce this belief -- that a company that kills customer satisfaction like Comcast does is far worse than companies that kill birds, marine life, reefs, etc.!

This is why Comcast created the Xfinity brand -- to try and get out of the deep brand hole they had dug.  But changing a name, while keeping EVERYTHING ELSE the same, has only served to drag the Xfinity name into the same hole as the name Comcast.  So that's another thing they've proverbially killed...

Tags (1)
Regular Contributor

OK Comcast now that DirecTV allows activation thats another 25 MILLION people that are able to use HBOGO on ROKU while you still block us. 

COMCAST let my ROKU go! You are the last, give it up it's over (I wish)

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

I had no idea that Comcast still blocked HBOGO on Roku.  I added HBO to my account last night and quickly removed it after access was blocked.  I tried to cancel my cable last night as well but have to call back today since that department was closed.  I will be looking for other internet providers in my area.  Blocking HBOGO cost you a cable, hbo & internet subscriber.   Keep up the good work Comcast.

Regular Visitor

I had no idea that Comcast still blocked HBOGO on Roku.  I added HBO to my account last night and quickly removed it after access was blocked.  I tried to cancel my cable last night as well but have to call back today since that department was closed.  I will be looking for other internet providers in my area.  Blocking HBOGO cost you a cable, hbo & internet subscriber.   Keep up the good work Comcast.

Tags (1)
Frequent Visitor

roku and HBO@GO

I have HBO on my tv.  I recently received a roku for Christmas hoping I could get HBO2GO on it, but low and behold Comcast or Xfinity are not one of the cable providers that accept HBO2GO.  This is very sad.  I wanted it on my upstairs TV that has just the DTA box.  I can go to HBO2GO on the internet and watch it, but I would like to watch it on my larger TV.

Nancy

New Poster

I got Xfinity last week with HBO and was told at the time I signed up that HBO GO would be available through my ROKU device.  It isn't.  It's time for Comcast to drag itself into the 21st entury and get with the program!!!

Regular Contributor

@franceg188 wrote:

I got Xfinity last week with HBO and was told at the time I signed up that HBO GO would be available through my ROKU device.  It isn't.  It's time for Comcast to drag itself into the 21st entury and get with the program!!!

Rule #1, Comcast sales will tell you anything you want to hear in order to make their sale. I found that one out the hard way just over a year ago. They told me the same thing about HBOgo. He told me I could stream live television anywhere, including in my car as we were tooling down I95 heading to my son's.....nope. Oh, they told me so many things...whole home DVR? not really. oh, so many. After 5 weeks, I bailed and went back to Dish.

New Poster

Needless to say, I am super upset that I pay out the wazoo every month for this service. And yet, I am not able to access any of the channels on my Roku. I am not taking any profit away from XFINITY, since I am a paying and for now loyal customer. I would just like to be able to enjoy my Roku to it's full potential.

Sincerely,

Super annoyed, hopes to remain Xfinity customer

New Poster

I do enjoy reading the endless comments on this topic, they are quite entertaining. However, no one on here as addressed the obvious:Comcast WILL NOT ALLOW HBO GO on a Roku because you would be by-passing their ability to charge you a $10 monthly fee for their cable box. IT'S THAT SIMPLE, it has nothing to do with routers and such and it will not change, ever. That being said there are options: #1 hook your laptop to your tv (most people don't like this but it works and Comcast cannot change the technology that allows it) #2 Use the HBO GO APP for your tablet (IPAD or KINDLE) and hook the tablet to your tv, this is what I do and works perfect, its free and takes seconds to get an HD movie up and running or door #3 Use a Chromecast (or other such device) to get HBO, this requires up front $$$ but if you really want it, so be it. Lastly an FYI - Comcast has built in software that does not allow you to stream or connect via HDMI their Xfinity APP through a Tablet or phone so save your breath!

Contributor

Chickpea, that's not the reason. I can use hbo go on my Apple TV with comcast just fine. Also the $10 comcast box does not provide hbo go, just hbo on demand - not the same thing. If I had xbox live good I could even use hbo go on my xbox...
Contributor

@Chickpea wrote:

I do enjoy reading the endless comments on this topic, they are quite entertaining. However, no one on here as addressed the obvious:Comcast WILL NOT ALLOW HBO GO on a Roku because you would be by-passing their ability to charge you a $10 monthly fee for their cable box. IT'S THAT SIMPLE, it has nothing to do with routers and such and it will not change, ever. That being said there are options: #1 hook your laptop to your tv (most people don't like this but it works and Comcast cannot change the technology that allows it) #2 Use the HBO GO APP for your tablet (IPAD or KINDLE) and hook the tablet to your tv, this is what I do and works perfect, its free and takes seconds to get an HD movie up and running or door #3 Use a Chromecast (or other such device) to get HBO, this requires up front $$$ but if you really want it, so be it. Lastly an FYI - Comcast has built in software that does not allow you to stream or connect via HDMI their Xfinity APP through a Tablet or phone so save your breath!

Chickpea, while we all share your frustration and outrage, your reasoning is flawed.

New Poster

Oh Lord , 2 more "Forum Heroes" with nothing better to do, that's why I don't spend a whole lot of time posting on them.... My reasoning is not flawed stop leading people in the wrong direction, HBO HBOGO WHATEVER YOU WANT TO CALL IT  - SAME THING!!!!!! HBO CONTENT!!!!

I did not want to write a book on here but I'm forced to now - Comcast considers companies like ROKU that they DO NOT have $$$$$ agreements with as competitors - therefore they will not allow you access, why because if I could access networks like HBO (IN ANY FORMAT) or other networks why would I pay them a monthly fee for a box. I'm done here you guys are annoying!!!!

New Poster

I have a cabin in the UP, that I go to for a month or more. I cancel my service while I am gone now, but if they offered service through Roku I could watch my xfinity channels while I am there and I wouldn't cancel.
Contributor

@Chickpea wrote:

Oh Lord , 2 more "Forum Heroes" with nothing better to do, that's why I don't spend a whole lot of time posting on them.... My reasoning is not flawed stop leading people in the wrong direction, HBO HBOGO WHATEVER YOU WANT TO CALL IT  - SAME THING!!!!!! HBO CONTENT!!!!

I did not want to write a book on here but I'm forced to now - Comcast considers companies like ROKU that they DO NOT have $$$$$ agreements with as competitors - therefore they will not allow you access, why because if I could access networks like HBO (IN ANY FORMAT) or other networks why would I pay them a monthly fee for a box. I'm done here you guys are annoying!!!!

Again you are showing your ignorance of the issue. Since Comcast allows HBOGO to stream on other devices (like AppleTV for example), you argument doesn't hold water.  Also, the content is not the same.  HBOGO supplements HBO.