Community Forum

ROKU, HBO GO

New Poster

Re: ROKU, HBO GO

I think if COMCAST does not include HBOGo to the Roku I am going to leave COMCAST. There are plenty of other options out there without being duped into buying cable. 

 

COMCAST, can you hear me? You suck and your cable is horrible. 

 

 

Contributor

Re: ROKU, HBO GO

PamelaPink -- comcast does support HBO Go on Apple TV.  I disagree with priziedog on which is better, but that doesn't really matter right now - you can't get HBO Go on Roku with Comcast Smiley Sad

 

He is right that Apple TV doesn't support Amazon Video (which makes sense for Apple, but not for us consumers).

 

Dan1975 - if you have an option for a different cable provider, then take it!  Every time I talk to the Comcast people about anything and they send 'Thanks for chosing Comcast' I make a point of telling them that it's not a choice for me - and if it was, I wouldn't choose Comcast.

 

Makes no difference to anyone at Comcast, but always makes me feel a little better.

 

Frequent Visitor

Re: ROKU, HBO GO

Honestly Amazon Prime Instant Video isn't all that great. Yes, They have exclusive rights to Justified but that's about all. I mean you can literally find the same content on Netflix. I can understand people's frustration with Comcast and Roku.Trust me I am incredibly frustrated.  But Roku is less strict than Apple TV and 360 I heard.  So you can pretty much take Roku anywhere and watch HBO Go on any HDTV around the world. So that's a huge reason why the biggest providers Comcast and DirecTV won't allow this. If you browse though this thread somebody better explains it.

Regular Contributor

Re: ROKU, HBO GO


@FrozenSlime wrote:

PamelaPink -- comcast does support HBO Go on Apple TV.  I disagree with priziedog on which is better, but that doesn't really matter right now - you can't get HBO Go on Roku with Comcast Smiley Sad

 

He is right that Apple TV doesn't support Amazon Video (which makes sense for Apple, but not for us consumers).

 

Dan1975 - if you have an option for a different cable provider, then take it!  Every time I talk to the Comcast people about anything and they send 'Thanks for chosing Comcast' I make a point of telling them that it's not a choice for me - and if it was, I wouldn't choose Comcast.

 

Makes no difference to anyone at Comcast, but always makes me feel a little better.

 


With few exceptions, there is always an alternative to Comcast. Dish is the one I went with and it has been like night and day....the equipment is fantastic (the capactity on the Hopper DVR drive is HUGE), the service is pretty darn good too.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Roku Users Ask For Xfinity Channel

@rog286713 -- Unlike  many other cable providers, Comcast doesn't allow HBOGO for ROKU.  Some suggest the content is identical to Xfinity On Demand.  NOT SO.  HBO and other cable networks maintain a much more extensive video library online than Comcast permits On Demand.  Original programming and movies that are available online should be availalbe by streaming with ROKU or similar device, just as cable companies other than Comcast allow.  After James Gandolfini's untimely passing, all episodes of The Sopranos were available online and HBOGO; but it took many weeks for Comcast to start replaying the series, one season each month.  Sorry to be disagreeable; but is not nearly the same, as commentary implies.

Frequent Visitor

Re: HBO NO Go?

HBO GO has much more content than Comcast's Xfinity On Demand.  All series episodes and orginial films, for example.  Would be much better to view on full-sized HDTV than on laptop or tablet.  Answer your question?

Frequent Visitor

Re: HBO NO Go?

I was just browsing OnDemand to watch the recent episode of "Getting On" and happened to notice that they now have ALL episodes from ALL series and pretty much all current movies that are on HBOGo. I have no idea if this is a change going forward to try and satisfy people or maybe it's just temporary through the holidays, I guess we will see.

 

I'd still prefer to use HBOGo on my Roku, OnDemand is a pain in the rump to navigate and actually use...you can't even easily go to the next episode in the series, you have to back out and flip through the show menus to find the show again and then the episode. 

Problem Solver

Re: HBO NO Go?

I got really excited when you posted this, but I see this is just a way to stream content to a device (not to your TV directly).  In that respect, it seems to work the same as using the HBO Go web site or app.

 

Comast has a "beta" application called "Send to TV" that would be a great tool if it worked more often.  The demo works very well, as it does with some web site, but I cannot get it to send many sites. Using the bookmark on HBO GO does throw the web site to the TV but it doens't play the video.  Interestingly, when I tried sending an HBO program from the Xfinity web site, I got an error message saying I needed an updated version of Flash (odd because I'm not aware that Flash is available on my TV).

 

Oh well, thanks anyway for the thrill!

 

Frequent Visitor

Re: ROKU, HBO GO

If you guys aren't oppsed to trying something new then I would recommend the purchase of Chromecast. The best $35 I've spent this year. I have 2. One in my bedroom and the other in the living room. HBO Go supports it also. Start in the app and cast to the tv. I don't really use my Roku much nowadays so Google bringing this device to the market has helped me use those features we were missing. Also streams from Google Chrome. 

Just offering an alternative to everyone.

Regular Contributor

Re: HBO NO Go?


@BellevueBob wrote:

Interestingly, when I tried sending an HBO program from the Xfinity web site, I got an error message saying I needed an updated version of Flash (odd because I'm not aware that Flash is available on my TV).

 


Flash isn 't on your TV. Send To TV Beta is like a media server, it's does as the name implies, sends what on your computer to your TV. It's telling you that Flash on your computer needs to be updated. Whether it needs to be updated, you'll have to check that out. My guess is it doesn't. I'm guessing Comcast is blocking everything on it's site from playing on TV due to content agreements.

 

BTW, did you see that what you send from your computer to your TV counts towards your bandwidth limit, if one applies.

Regular Contributor

Re: ROKU, HBO GO


@sosouthern wrote:

If you guys aren't oppsed to trying something new then I would recommend the purchase of Chromecast. The best $35 I've spent this year. I have 2. One in my bedroom and the other in the living room. HBO Go supports it also. Start in the app and cast to the tv. I don't really use my Roku much nowadays so Google bringing this device to the market has helped me use those features we were missing. Also streams from Google Chrome. 

Just offering an alternative to everyone.


It's an alternatve, if you have a smartphone, which some of us don't and don't want one. And as with Comcast Send To TV Beta, bandwidth limits are an issue.

Frequent Visitor

Re: ROKU, HBO GO

For 35 bucks they didn't even include a remote! Sorry but my Apple TV is coming soon. And soon I'll watch HBO GO! It will be alongside my Roku 3.

Problem Solver

Re: HBO NO Go?


@workerdummy wrote:

Flash isn 't on your TV. Send To TV Beta is like a media server, it's does as the name implies, sends what on your computer to your TV. It's telling you that Flash on your computer needs to be updated. Whether it needs to be updated, you'll have to check that out. My guess is it doesn't. I'm guessing Comcast is blocking everything on it's site from playing on TV due to content agreements.

BTW, did you see that what you send from your computer to your TV counts towards your bandwidth limit, if one applies.


Hmmm, I was under the impression that the tool sent a command to my internet connected TV to display the content using a separate connection such that my PC was not involved.  You are right, my particular TV does not have Flash but some do (like those with Google TV).  Plus, I'm using the Chrome browser on my PC, which has the most currently available version of Flash installed.  Also, my experiment was trying to display the same program (Episode 1 of OZ) from both the Xfinity and from the HBO GO web sites.  Both came up fine on my laptop but neither displayed using the "Send to TV" tool.

 

The whole "connecting internet content to a TV" topic remains a mystery to me.  For example, my Sony TV has an included app for Amazon Instant Video, which I use all the time.  But, in order to stream Amazon Prime content to my Sony tablet, I had to install an old version of Flash for Firefox (Amazon does not have an Android app for Prime).  So apparently Prime uses Flash and I assume that it must be compiled into the app on my TV.  I am in fact considering  the Cromecast.

 

Finally, yes, I'm aware that streaming content would count toward any internet usage limit and I'd need to monitior that.  However, I'm online about 15 hours every day (I work from home), and have never gotten close to any limit.

Regular Contributor

Re: HBO NO Go?

I know this isnt practical for most and most wives wont allow it but....

 

I have my PC tower at the right end of my TV stand and use the HDMI out of my NVIDIA Card to my Sony AVR to my TV.

 

Solves all my connectivity issues.

New Poster

Re: HBOBO on Roku

What's the latest on this topic?  I just got Comcast Xfinity, and I THOUGHT HBO - Go was offered if you have high speed internet from Comcast.  But I don't see it offered

 

What's the deal??

Tags (1)
New Poster

Roku and HBOGO

I have the Xfinity triple play with HBO.  I also have a Roku streaming device.  Trying the get HBOGO on my TV through the Roku is not available?  Why are the other cable companies listed as available and Comcast/Xfinity is not?  Has Comcast decided not to allow Roku streaming of HBOGO?

 

I can get HBOGO on my iPAD via Xfinity, but not through the TV-Roku.

 

Any thoughts?

Thanks .

Rokuman

Contributor

Re: Roku and HBOGO

Same here. In fact, I'm not finding Comcast/Xfinity listed on ANY of the channels/providers that require activation through the Roku. So far, it's more like Foku! Thanks Comcast.

New Poster

Re: Roku and HBOGO

It is possible that Comcast is the worst run business out there.  Why would they not support streaming on the Roku for HBO to go?!

Frequent Visitor

Re: ROKU, HBO GO


@DMilnerJax wrote:

@FrozenSlime wrote:

PamelaPink -- comcast does support HBO Go on Apple TV.  I disagree with priziedog on which is better, but that doesn't really matter right now - you can't get HBO Go on Roku with Comcast Smiley Sad

 

He is right that Apple TV doesn't support Amazon Video (which makes sense for Apple, but not for us consumers).

 

Dan1975 - if you have an option for a different cable provider, then take it!  Every time I talk to the Comcast people about anything and they send 'Thanks for chosing Comcast' I make a point of telling them that it's not a choice for me - and if it was, I wouldn't choose Comcast.

 

Makes no difference to anyone at Comcast, but always makes me feel a little better.

 


With few exceptions, there is always an alternative to Comcast. Dish is the one I went with and it has been like night and day....the equipment is fantastic (the capactity on the Hopper DVR drive is HUGE), the service is pretty darn good too.


For me the only real alternative to Comcast is another cable provider. I believe satellite has gotten much better, but am I not willing to be locked into a contract. You can tell what is a legitimate alternative by the way Comcast reacts to it. I live in Pittsburg, California in the SF Bay Area. We have a very interesting market here. Some cities have multiple providers, while Comcast has a monopoly in others. In every city that Comcast has a cable competitor, prices are lower. Comcast has never made an attempt to be price competitive with satellite because they do not see them that way. The HBO Go issue is the only reason I am considering Dish.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Roku and HBOGO

I have a TiVo Roamio Plus which supports VOD through Comcast, but the local Comcast operation hasn't upgraded their system to be compatible with TiVo.  

 

SOLUTION

 

I spent $35 on Google Chromecast which offers HBOGO.  Yes, someone shouldn't have to buy additional hardware for what should be a free service.   However I suspect there will be a long wait for the local Comcast people to make VOD compatible with TiVo.

 

For more information on Google Chromecast, go to http://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/devices/chromecast/?gclid=COf4xYe74LsCFdEWMgod-z4AFg

New Poster

Re: ROKU, HBO GO

Here we are in 2014 and this problem persists because Comcast doesn't want to solve it.  Money can't be the problem because they stick us with the cost.

 

They have awarded me 'Insider' status and they can keep it.  ATand T supports roku and I can get HBO Go from them so I think I'll just change 'insider' to 'outsider'.

New Poster

Re: ROKU, HBO GO

I was also shocked that HBO GO is not on my new Roku. I have the full digital cable box and subscribe to HBO but I have a TV in a back room that does not have a cable box, just the Roku. It would be so nice to get HBO there since I already pay for it.

New Poster

Re: ROKU, HBO GO

I don't get it either... I stream HBOGO through my iPhone and iPad... and now will have to buy an AppleTV (fewer channels are offered) to receive this service.  Just seems kind of silly.  Roku should probably do a better job of stipulating that all cable providers are not created equal, when boasting of the HBOGO availability.

Regular Contributor

Re: ROKU, HBO GO


@puregenius wrote:

For me the only real alternative to Comcast is another cable provider. I believe satellite has gotten much better, but am I not willing to be locked into a contract. You can tell what is a legitimate alternative by the way Comcast reacts to it. I live in Pittsburg, California in the SF Bay Area. We have a very interesting market here. Some cities have multiple providers, while Comcast has a monopoly in others. In every city that Comcast has a cable competitor, prices are lower. Comcast has never made an attempt to be price competitive with satellite because they do not see them that way. The HBO Go issue is the only reason I am considering Dish.


Where I live Comcast is the only cable provider--so they do not care. FIOS and AT&T are not available, even for phone, and OTA signals don't reach this far. I have to say, if Comcast does not consider Dish a viable competitor, they need to look again....I see more and more dishes sprouting around town every day. I don't mind the contract because I have no other real alternative, and the price and service I get, unless I cut the cord completely (not an option since hubby has to have his live sports), I have no place else to go....Fortunately, I am more than happy with the Dish service, equipment and programming. I have yet to hit more than 60% capacity for recording on either receiver, and I have the entire season for six shows, 9 football games (he can't watch them all at once..Smiley Wink) and about 12 HD movies on the drive right now-and it is only at 54% capacity.  IF I ever get too full, I can drop a hard drive on to transfer recordings to....I used it to pull recordings off the old Hopper when I upgraded to the one with built in Sling this last weekend, then transferred them to the new one. They do support the HBO Go on Roku, but unless travelling, I don't need it, since their HBO On demand also has the full library.

Drawbacks to Dish: No "Big 4" on demand (but with the PTAT feature, I just set it to save the series for any of the Big 4 network shows-hence the full seasons of shows we haven't even watched yet), no Showtime on Demand.

Regular Contributor

Re: ROKU, HBO GO


@srhoward83 wrote:

I don't get it either... I stream HBOGO through my iPhone and iPad... and now will have to buy an AppleTV (fewer channels are offered) to receive this service.  Just seems kind of silly.  Roku should probably do a better job of stipulating that all cable providers are not created equal, when boasting of the HBOGO availability.


From the Roku page: "It's every episode of every season of the best of HBO all FREE with your HBO subscription through participating TV providers."  I think the clue was teh "through participating providers."

New Poster

Re: Roku and HBOGO

Hope this is appropriate for this topic. I purchased Roku for Christmas but streaming is so slow it sometimes will not even load a movie and when it does load and play there are constant interruptions while it pauses to load. I see people are buying modems etc is that necessary? Are the modems supplied by comcast not adequate?

New Poster

Re: Roku and HBOGO

I have the Roku and Comcast and streaming is fine. No pausing to catch up. I also got the newest modem, but the older one didn't have an issue either.
Frequent Visitor

Re: ROKU, HBO GO

I've mentioned it before on this thread but for those who are new to the Roku/Comcast world I thought it might be worth mentioning it again.   You CAN get HBOGO to work fine on a Roku device (I use Roku 3's) if you are willing to use a third-party app called "PlayOn". 

 

PlayOn has worked well for our family now for over 9 months.  It is an application that requires a WindowsPC and is essentially streaming content (such as HBOGO, ESPN, etc...) that you could otherwise access from a PC browser.   They also recently upgraded the PlayOn service to allow for HD resolution (assuming the source content is HD).  

 

My only minor complaint is you'll need to count on logging in to re-validate your Comcast subscription every few days or so from the PC - not sure why this is but it's an inconvenience I'm willing to deal with in order to watch HD-quality content that effectively increases the number of "channels" on my Roku 3 by about 50 - including HBOGO.  I purchased a lifetime license from PlayOn for like $39 or something like that last Spring and it's worked great for us - and we have three Roku 3 devices around the house - including one outside on a covered deck.

 

Hope this information is helpful for some of you who may be new to this world over the Holiday season.

 

Frequent Visitor

Re: ROKU, HBO GO

That is useful for PC users, but not for us iPad users. I bought a Chromecast to deal with this issue but I resent Comcast for making me purchase an additional item
Regular Contributor

Re: ROKU, HBO GO


@randerto wrote:

I've mentioned it before on this thread but for those who are new to the Roku/Comcast world I thought it might be worth mentioning it again.   You CAN get HBOGO to work fine on a Roku device (I use Roku 3's) if you are willing to use a third-party app called "PlayOn". 

 


Doesn't this tie up your PC though while watching? 

New Poster

Re: ROKU, HBO GO

So frustrating. Today I spoke to 8 Comcast operators over the course of 30 minutes. Finally, I was referred to their HBOGO "team" hotline. Called it 5 times and was disconnected without even a ring tone, just silence then a dial tone. I used another customer service number that I found on one of these threads and finally spoke to a guy who knew EXACTLY what I was talking about. He just said, sorry, HBOGO won't work using Roku and Xfiniity. Period. No work around, sorry. I write a check to them every month for that? Ridiculous. With all the money they spend on TV ads, you'd think they would drop some coin to give their customers the service we THOUGHT we were paying for. 

Contributor

Re: ROKU, HBO GO

The future of Awesome -- I think not...

Contributor

Re: ROKU, HBO GO

Why would they have an HBOGO team? No answer sounds just about right relative to the HBOGO service they are providing...unfortunately.

Regular Visitor

Re: HBO NO Go?

Hey Rog,

 

HBO Go allows subscribers access to all of HBO's programming (which is not accessible on your regular ON-Demand cable box). For example the complete TV Series, The Wire is available to view on HBO Go as well as many other shows and their entire movie catalogue.

 

Therefore allowing Comcast/xfinity subscribers to access HBO GO on their Roku's is only fair.

Problem Solver

Re: HBO NO Go?


@roadhandler wrote:

Hey Rog,

 

HBO Go allows subscribers access to all of HBO's programming (which is not accessible on your regular ON-Demand cable box). For example the complete TV Series, The Wire is available to view on HBO Go as well as many other shows and their entire movie catalogue.

 

Therefore allowing Comcast/xfinity subscribers to access HBO GO on their Roku's is only fair.


Hi Roadhandler,

 

I don't really know what a Roku is, but I'm sure all this abour HBO Go has something to do with licensing and specifically about displaying content on a TV versus a mobile device (or PC).  Using your example, I'll point out that all five seasons of all episodes of "The Wire" can be viewed online from Comcast's own web site but none of them are available directly from the cable box "On Demand" system.

 

Now the issue (to me) is how to get that content to display directly on a TV instead of watching on a PC monitor.  This affects several online video services (like Amazon Instant Video, Netflix, and of course HBO GO).  My "Smart TV" has an app for Amazon (which I use) and I understand that the $35 Google Chromecast device will do something similar.  Perhaps that's what a Roku does as well; I'm sure there are others.

 

I'm only bringing this up in case you wanted to watch "The Wire" on somethng other than HBO GO.  I also wish someone from Comcast would chip in and perhaps post a link to some article ith a full explaination of the issue. 

Contributor

Re: HBO NO Go?


@BellevueBob wrote:

I don't really know what a Roku is, but I'm sure all this abour HBO Go has something to do with licensing and specifically about displaying content on a TV versus a mobile device (or PC).  

A Roku is a streaming media box that can connect to a display via HDMI.  There are various apps available on the Roku, with HBO Go being one of them.

 

HBO Go requires you to get authorization from your cable provider before they will display the content.  This is not specific to Roku, but also applies to watching HBO Go on a PC, Tablet, Xbox or Apple TV.

 

HBO Go can be authorized by most major cable & satalite providers in the US, with Comcast being the notable exception.

 

HBO Go can be authorized on other devices such as Xbox & Apple TV which connect directly to a display device via HDMI.  For some reason (and I'm pretty sure it's not licensing) Comcast do not let you authorize HBO Go on a Roku.

 

If you want to find out more about the Roku please feel free to google it.

New Poster

Re: HBO NO Go?

The easiest/cheapest work-around is Chromecast. Amazon has them on sale again for $30 right now. I got one over Christmas. If you connect it to an AVR (instead of your TV), you can get Netflix in DD 5.1. HBOGo currently is not supporting DD 5.1 via Chromecast, regardless of how you connect it, but I would expect that support to come eventually.  That's an HBOGo issue, not a Chromecast / Comcast issue.  My guess is HBO will fix that quickly, with how fast the Chromecast is selling.

 

Chromecast is a much cheaper solution than buying an Xbox or an AppleTV, if you, like me, are tired of waiting for Roku support, but don't want to switch from Comcast.

 

Roku authorization would be *better*... in part because it would have saved us all the $30 investment, in part because I'm guessing it would have supported 5.1 right out of the gate, in part because it would be more convenient (no need to switch to yet ANOTHER set of TV/AVR inputs), and in part because there is no hard-wired ethernet option for Chromecast.  But I got tired of waiting for Comcast to give me this functionality, and I decided that $30 was worth it for this *quick fix*.

Tags (1)
Contributor

Re: HBO NO Go?

TheKing -- am I right in thinking that to use a Chromecast you have to use another device (phone, tablet, PC) to start the video and then 'push' it to the Chromcast?

 

When you do that, does the other device become free, or do you need to keep playing the content you're watching on the Chromecast device?

Contributor

Re: ROKU, HBO GO

Raw505,

 

Could you post that "HBO Team" number please?

 

Thanks...

Highlighted
Bronze Problem Solver

Re: Roku and HBOGO


@nvenzon wrote:

Hope this is appropriate for this topic. I purchased Roku for Christmas but streaming is so slow it sometimes will not even load a movie and when it does load and play there are constant interruptions while it pauses to load. I see people are buying modems etc is that necessary? Are the modems supplied by comcast not adequate?


That might depend on what Cable Modem Comcast is providing and what you internet level of service is?  You do know that you can purchase a Cable Modem on-line that would pay for inself in 6 to 12 months (as Comcast charges $7.00 per month for theirs).

Frequent Visitor

Re: HBO NO Go?

Yes, you need an additional device, no remote is provided . Mine had bugs but is being replaced with warranty. Does work with Comcast's HBO
Frequent Visitor

Re: HBO NO Go?

Yes, you need an additional device, no remote is provided . Mine had bugs but is being replaced with warranty. Does work with Comcast's HBO . Once it streams u can use your tablet/ phone for other stuff.
New Poster

Re: HBO NO Go?

Mine was buggy also, waiting for replacement. My tablet has HDMI out. HBOgo app supports hdmi out. Bought a mini cable for the tablet, a Kindle Fire HD, and stream tablet to tv via the cable. Not great but a work around till Comcast comes to their senses. Playon media server worked my lappy too hard, it would get very hot even on a cradle. If Comcast wont play with Roku they should add more HBO content to On Demand.

New Poster

Re: HBO NO Go?


@FrozenSlime wrote:

TheKing -- am I right in thinking that to use a Chromecast you have to use another device (phone, tablet, PC) to start the video and then 'push' it to the Chromcast?

 

When you do that, does the other device become free, or do you need to keep playing the content you're watching on the Chromecast device?


Yes, that's what makes Chromecast a viable solution, IMO.  Unlike with AppleTV, on Chromecast HBOGo (or Netflix, or Youtube) is not streaming FROM YOUR DEVICE.  You use your device to go *find* whatever video you want to play (just like you would if your plan was to watch it on your phone/tablet/ect), get the stream going through your router, and then you push the *chromecast* button on the top right corner of the mobile screen to send it to your chromecast.

 

Once you do that, the video moves from  your phone/tablet to your bigscreen, and your phone/tablet goes into "remote control" mode.  And yes, you can hit the home button, go check your email, send a text, take a phone call... you can even shut your phone/tablet off (I tested... it worked).

 

I picture it like there being a thousand different ropes laying on the ground.  You use your phone/tablet to select which rope you want to start "pulling" (IE: streaming), and then when you hit chromecast, you basically just tell your chromecast "hey, see this rope that I'm pulling on... now you just keep pulling it".

 

As others have said, your phone/tablet IS the remote.  So if you shut your phone/tablet off, you can't pause or rewind the video until you turn your device back on and get back into the app.  BUT, unlike appletv, chromecast isn't sucking your battery dry while you sit there streaming video to your mobile.  Just flip the screen off, and your phone/battery just sits there like it always does... open your phone back up, and you can pause/remind/etc.

 

At $30-$35, it's a pretty cheap, reasonably convenient solution... I personally don't think Comcast has any intention of ever giving us Roku support.  On the other hand, I think google is VERY interested in giving the Chromecast a LOT of support, as it's selling like hotcakes right now.  My guess is you'll see a lot more apps come out for Chromecast over the next 12 months (ShowtimeAnytime?  Slingplayer?  Watch ESPN?).

Frequent Visitor

Re: HBO NO Go?

if anyone is still curious why Comcast customers want HBO GO on their ROKU, there's a simple answer: CONTENT. HBO GO includes much more content than Comcast makes available by way of cable box. HBO GO offers most HBO original content, such as series, documentaries, and movies. For example, every episode of THE SOPRANOS, which has not been avaiable on VOD until James Gandolfini's untimely death. A whole month later, Comcast begain doling out a single season. However, the full series is available on my tablet and laptop computer. Nothing like large format HDTV, especially when attempting a commemorative SOPRANOS weekend. It is not a matter of compatibility; the list of cable providers that permit HBO GO on ROKU is quite extensive. Comcast simply chooses to withhold permission. Even if the content were identical, which it is not, my $240 monthly Comcast payment should permit full access to the cable channels' services. Comcast seems for interested in getting a permanent lock on its customers by selling films that will require an active Comcast account to view in the future. I'm not going to make that mistake. Programs purchased at AMAZON.COM do not require "Prime" membership to view.
Regular Visitor

Re: HBO NO Go?

FrozenSlime did a great job explaining how Chromecast works.  However, I'd like to add another advantage of Chromecast for ComCast customers:  Currently, Chromecast works ("officially") with Netflix, Hulu, YouTube and HBO GO.  However, I have been able to also call up Xfinity programs for online viewing on my laptop and cast them to a TV using Chromecast.  My schedule is such that I often do not get to watch some of my favorite prime-time programs -- and I'm not a big fan of watching movies or TV programs on my laptop.  So, Crhomecast enables me to "catch up" on programs I've missed on a larger TV screen -- even when I'm staying in hotels or resort lodging.  Pretty neat!

Tags (1)
Frequent Visitor

Re: ROKU, HBO GO

To answer your question, no it does not tie up my PC while watching the HBOGO channel via PlayOn.  It is a process running in the background but I have never had any issues in that respect.  It works quite well overall other than requiring you to log into your Comcast account every other day or so on the PC - but I have that issue anyway with other Comcast apps. 

 

I dislike Comcast as much as anyone else on this site but this really is an inexpensive work-around to watching HBOGO on a Roku if you have a PC accessible anywhere on your home network. 

Regular Contributor

Re: ROKU, HBO GO


@randerto wrote:

To answer your question, no it does not tie up my PC while watching the HBOGO channel via PlayOn.  It is a process running in the background but I have never had any issues in that respect.  It works quite well overall other than requiring you to log into your Comcast account every other day or so on the PC - but I have that issue anyway with other Comcast apps. 

 

I dislike Comcast as much as anyone else on this site but this really is an inexpensive work-around to watching HBOGO on a Roku if you have a PC accessible anywhere on your home network. 


Thank you for that clarification. I actually have Dish now, so have full HBOgo content on both On Demand through Dish, and also on the Roku. However, there are other sites I would like to stream to the television, such as the BBC channels through the proxy server.

New Poster

Re: HBO GO on Roku

I recently added HBO to our lineup and our rep specifically promoted the HBO-GO feature, saying you could stream it on ANY device.  HBO-GO is a Roku channel, we just can't activate it because Comcast is not among the extensive list of providers on the activation page.  Baffling that Comcast blocks HBO-GO from streaming on Roku.  Why not, Comcast?

Regular Contributor

Re: HBO GO on Roku

This has been going on for years. Comcast is not signing up for roku. Just get an apple tv when you can afford it. Tis what I plan to do (gm just announced a new dividen today, got in at right time). Comcast seems to be reaping the rewards of jp Morgan's strong buy ratings. Though some cnbc analysts are wondering why the prices are jumping on all cable providers, when they are bleeding tv subscribers. All are looking for more m&a activity, lessening the competition even further. Thre was talk of Comcast acquiring two, but cox just had rejected bid. Pe is rather high on these bad boys, but yet they still go up, and Comcast's dividen only 1.65%.
|----------------------------------------------------|
I am a simple customer, my posts are my own experiences and opinions.
Current Starter Double Play Customer with Blast Pro Upgrade.