Gold Problem Solver
Moved:

Re: ROKU, HBO GO

post by helentsihlas removed.

Forum Guidelines

(which everyone should read before making his/her first post) state

Please Don't

2. Use Profanity

Please keep your posts clean. Our forums have an automated profanity filter to block out inappropriate language. Please do not circumvent it by finding colorful ways to approximate or disguise those words. If you are caught trying to bypass the filters in any way, your posting privileges may be revoked.

New Poster

As a Comcast customer with an HBO subscription, HBOGo works on my iPad, my XBOX, and online via a PC.  As I'm sure everyone in this thread knows, it doesn't work on my Roku.

I have contacted customer support, both by calling 1-800-Comcast, and by using the "Chat" option, on multiple occassions, for two reasons:

1) Express my desire to see Roku added as an approved device.

2) To get a list of devices that ARE supported by Comcast for HBOGo.

When I speak to a representative, they are never able to grasp the concept of what I'm trying to communicate.  They want to trouble-shoot my internet connection, or try to help me with Roku, etc... no matter how many times I tell them that, while I'm on the phone with them, I'm streaming Netflix through my Roku, which SHOULD BE proof that both my internet connection and my Roku are working just fine... They still don't "get it".  I'd pretty much given up, until a google search brought me to this thread.

Does such a "list" exist?  Does anybody know what options we, as Comcast customers, have?  Are any devices other than Xbox approved for use?  I love my Roku... I wish Comcast would just add it.  I get that they're trying to prevent "cable-cutters", but isn't part of the authorization process requiring a valid Comcast subscription?  So what's the problem?

Frequent Visitor

@TheKings866 wrote:

Does such a "list" exist?  Does anybody know what options we, as Comcast customers, have?  Are any devices other than Xbox approved for use?  I love my Roku... I wish Comcast would just add it.  I get that they're trying to prevent "cable-cutters", but isn't part of the authorization process requiring a valid Comcast subscription?  So what's the problem?

The AppleTV is approved by Comcast, which makes their refusal of Roku even more infuriating. The AppleTV is basically the same as Roku, less channel options but it has all of the important ones and they add more each month. It is also designed to access your multimedia across Apple products, so it's even more appealing to folks who are heavy Apple device users.

I love my Roku but I may end up tossing it in the future and getting a Apple TV solely because of HBO Go.

Contributor

I have both an Apple TV and a Roku. The Roku is my device of choice, both for ease of use and its channel lineup, Netflix and Amazon in particular. I bought the Apple TV originally solely to take advantage of its mirroring capabilites for Apple products, and now it has HBOgo for Comcast users, which is great, However, I would never dump my Roku for Apple TV (particularly since Apple TV doesn't have Amazon).  Both devices are useful in their own way and both relatively inexpensive. All that said, I still want HBOgo on Roku, particularly because the HBOgo implementation on Apple TV has some sadly inelegant aspects, which I'm sure would not be the case on Roku. Besides, as has been pointed out over and over again on this thread ... why not Roku? Really!

Regular Contributor

@Arcadies wrote:

@TheKings866 wrote:

The AppleTV is approved by Comcast, which makes their refusal of Roku even more infuriating. The AppleTV is basically the same as Roku, less channel options but it has all of the important ones and they add more each month. It is also designed to access your multimedia across Apple products, so it's even more appealing to folks who are heavy Apple device users.

I love my Roku but I may end up tossing it in the future and getting a Apple TV solely because of HBO Go.

I tossed Comcast instead.

Frequent Visitor

@DMilnerJax wrote:

@Arcadies wrote:

@TheKings866 wrote:

Well, unfortunately many of us don't have that option. Comcast is the only internet in my area, other than horrible 1.5mb/768k DSL that costs a unbelievable $40 per month...seriously that is the only speed tier they offer here. The same goes for cable, even if I wanted to ditch Comcast cable and go with satelite, Comcast would whack me with an extra $15-20 just for having internet only...that stuff should be illegal.

Believe me..if I had options I'd dump Comcast in a heartbeat...

Frequent Visitor

So true! The very day they turn FiOS on in my area, I say goodbye to Comcast. You would think, that by now, someone from comcast would be monitoring these forums to ensure a happy customer experience? Not. 

@Arcadies wrote:

@DMilnerJax wrote:

@Arcadies wrote:

@TheKings866 wrote:

Well, unfortunately many of us don't have that option. Comcast is the only internet in my area, other than horrible 1.5mb/768k DSL that costs a unbelievable $40 per month...seriously that is the only speed tier they offer here. The same goes for cable, even if I wanted to ditch Comcast cable and go with satelite, Comcast would whack me with an extra $15-20 just for having internet only...that stuff should be illegal.

Tags (1)
Regular Contributor

@Arcadies wrote:

Oh, I had to keep them for internet as well, no other viable option in my area for that. I am back on satellite for TV, bought my own modem so I don't have to pay them the rental fee, and with both internet and the full package from my satellite provider, I am still paying less than I was paying with Comcast for their television with fewer options and features. Note, that it is the tv programming subscription that counts towards HBOgo validation on ROKU, not the internet. I have Dish, I have HBOgo on Roku, but only need it when travelling, as Dish's HBO on demand has the entire HBO library, including all seasons of all series.

New Poster

As a comcast customer,  would also like to request compatibility for the hbogo roku app.  it seems ridiculous that comcast doesn't acknowledge that there are a lot of loyal customers out there asking for this.

New Poster

Hello.

I would also like to request this feature.

Seeing as how this thread hasn't gotten

a response in years,

it's probably more practical for me to consider

my other options in providers,

but I figured that I'd ask anyway.

Contributor

After 2 1/2 years of Comcast's total unresponsiveness on the issue of HBO GO on Roku, I am switching to the Verizon FIOS Triple Play  Not only will I be able to get HBO GO, I will also be able to get FOX NOW (also on Roku) and FX NOW (currently under development).  I will also be getting faster internet service (50/25 as opposed to the 20/10 I now get).  Compared to what I currently pay for cable, internet and two phone lines, I will be saving $100/mo. for two years and then $75/mo. thereafter. 

I have been a subscriber to Comcast (and its predecessors) for over 25 years but I have finally had it with their unwillingness to provide HBO GO on Rokus and with their outrageous prices.  

Contributor

Congrats! I wish I had your option...no FIOS here in the bay area....not yet.

New Poster

I was thinking about adding HBO to my channel line up today, and lo-and behold Comcast doesn't support Roku....I wish I was surprised!

If only there was some kind of go-getter working at Comcast that saw how popular this topic was & was willing to run this up the chain....a man can dream.

New Poster

This week, someone called and offered a chance for me to upgrade my Internet only subscription adding TV including HBO for only $5.00. Upon discovering this will not let me use HBO Go with my Roku 3, I have decided to take advantage of the 30 day money back guarantee.

Regular Contributor

What they also forgot to mention that now you will have a boat load of extra taxes
New Poster

I have not yet found an answer in any of the posts - WHEN is COMCAST going to fix the ROKU issue?

Regular Contributor

@DATMERT wrote:

I have not yet found an answer in any of the posts - WHEN is COMCAST going to fix the ROKU issue?

Pretty sure they are not going to support Roku. They don't consider it broken, nothing to fix. There is no revenue stream for them there.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Roku Users Ask For Xfinity Channel

HBO GO and HBO VOD for TV are not the same.  HBO on Comcast VOD only offers limited programming; however, HBO GO for Android and PC (my equipment) offers nearly all season of current and older programming.  Can watch episodes JOHN ADAMS, SEX AND THE CITY, SOPRANOS any time on the go.  Comcast only offer abbreviated selections.  For example:  THE SOPRANOS has been available online; but only On Demand by Comcast since James Gandofini's passing.  Has been changing season each month.  SEX AND THE CITY is available every October.  During Breast Cancer Awareness Month, episodes that deal the Samantha's cancer (excluding one, for unknown reason) are available to HBO subscribers and as free-view for the public. 

In many areas HBO GO is available on ROKU devices.  For unknown reasons, Comcast does not share GO with ROKU.

Disbelieve me?  Check out comcast.net to find nearly all of HBO content.  Also check roku.com to see list of cable operators that share HBO GO.  Comcast is conspicuously absent.

New Poster

It is extra for HD receivers in multiple rooms.  Therefore, I only have a basic free cable box in my room.   I do have a roku in my room.  I could watch HBO go content if xfinity would allow it.  That is why I want access to this app.  They allow HBO go access on the Apple TV.

Frequent Visitor

HBO Go has everything HBO has ever produced, every season, every episode, every movie .

Nothing else offers this, and I want to  view it on a big screen not my ipad

I don't understand why Roku will not work with this. As an HBO subsccriber on Comcast, I want the full HBOgo available to me on Roku, just as it is available to HBO subscribers on ATT, Verizon, Dish and so on

Frequent Visitor

Re: HBO NO Go?

HBO Go has everything HBO has ever produced, every season, every episode, every movie .

I don't understand why Roku will not work with this. As an HBO subsccriber on Comcast, I want the full HBOgo available to me on Roku, just as it is available to HBO subscribers on ATT, Verizon, Dish and so on

Frequent Visitor

New request for HBO Go available o Roku , please listen

People have been asking for this for years I see from looking at these forums .

I don't understand why Roku will not work with this. As an HBO subscriber on Comcast, I  think we should have the full HBOgo available to me on Roku, just as it is available to HBO subscribers on ATT, Charter,Verizon, Dish and so on

Please explain why you will not allow this

New Poster

Re: New request for HBO Go available o Roku , please listen

i been having the same problem when trying to watch HBO on my samsung smart tv every other provider seem to have it except for comcast. just giving time for my contract to finish and i most likely be switching companies is really a shame but why pay for something if you cant use all the features

New Poster

@jhusosky, my taxes and fees are $1.72, not quite a boatload. 

Also, I found out I can get an HD STB for just $2.15/month so... I'm paying the same as I would be without HBO or CableTV and getting HBO and CableTV. I've reconsidered and am sticking with it, but would really prefer if HBO Go was available through the Roku box. 

New Poster

Re: ROKU and HBO GO

Except the OnDemand isn't working at this point.  So, I asked, what should I do?  The answer:  wait, it will be back any day now.

New Poster

I completely agree. And, we still have to subscribe to HBO with our service provider - in this case Comcast - to be able to stream through ROKU. It is not like we would be able to drop Comcast when we start watching HBOGO through ROKU. Without a subscription with a cable service provider we could not access HBOGO at all. Please sign a contract with ROKU and let your subscribers have the full benefits of their HBO subscriptions like most other sevice providers. 

Frequent Visitor

Noticed that WatchESPN is now on the roku.  A cable subscription is required to authorize that and comcast is one of the stable of cable companies that can be used to authorize that.

Wonder what's different with HBO2go

Regular Contributor

@djrichard wrote:

Noticed that WatchESPN is now on the roku.  A cable subscription is required to authorize that and comcast is one of the stable of cable companies that can be used to authorize that.

Wonder what's different with HBO2go

I think xFinity and Disney have some type of partnership with respect to the WatchESPN app/channel. Probably didn't have a choice since Disney is bringing an entire group of WATCH channels to Roku through then end of this month.

New Poster

When can we expect to have HBO Go on the Roku channel?

Contributor

@lukecurley wrote:

tomorrow.

New Poster

Re: HBOGO for ROKU

Seriously Comcast! You are behaving like a stubborn child over this not letting PAID subscribers stream HBO GO through Roku. Get over it and do the right thing.
Frequent Visitor

@Maz wrote:

@lukecurley wrote:

tomorrow.

Never

New Poster

There's a simple reason for this - THEY DON'T CARE. They have your money and its monopoly and they can do whatever they want. You can yell and scream it all you want, if Comcast truly cared about its customers, they would listen. It's why costs for everything have skyrocketed, its why we don't have customized cable packages, its why they won't allow HBO on Roku. Period.

Highlighted
Contributor

HBOGO now working on Chromecast. Baffled as to why there is still no Roku support.
Frequent Visitor

@Zordar wrote:
HBOGO now working on Chromecast. Baffled as to why there is still no Roku support.

I think now it is just Comcast wanting to see how long this thread can get and how long we will "female dog" and moan.

New Poster

After reading this thread, I am now researching/considering going veriozon fios.  this is ridiculous.  you already charge high prices and yourcustomer service rep's are mostly useless, too. get your s*** together comcast and allow ROKU's to play HBO go. jeeze...

Frequent Visitor

@kshugrue wrote:

People have been asking for this for years I see from looking at these forums .

I don't understand why Roku will not work with this. As an HBO subscriber on Comcast, I  think we should have the full HBOgo available to me on Roku, just as it is available to HBO subscribers on ATT, Charter,Verizon, Dish and so on

Please explain why you will not allow this

I agree. There is no reason for Comcast to block HboGo on the Roku when they allow it on Apple TV. Come on Comcast, get on the ball and make this happen.

Frequent Visitor

Because comcast wants your money.

Regular Visitor

Agree totally. I would love toget my Roku and or Kindle to access hbo go but due to comcast's block... no go for hbo go Smiley Sad

New Poster

Ok Comcast. The newest HBOGo update makes it available on Google Chromecast. It can now be watched on tv via Internet. There really is little to no reason to block Roku anymore. Let's get it going!
Contributor

I remain perplexed by the Roku block. On one hand, I can see where streaming devices are competition to cable. I get that. But accessing HBO Go through Roku means I must first be a paying cable customer. As a paying HBO subscriber via Comcast, I can go on my Toshiba laptop, use any browser and connect to the full catalogue of HBO (and Showtime for that matter through its player). I can go on my iPad or my iPhone and access it also. So I am free to watch the first season of Deadwood, Carnivale, Rome, The George Harrison documentary, any time I want through these non television app. Through television, I am limited to OnDemand, unless of course, I carry my laptop up to my TV and via a HDMI connection, see HBOGo on my larger television. It's silly. The Roku is just another device that allows a Comcast and HBO subscriber to see their shows. To enjoy the Comcast experience even more fully. Eventually people are going to defect- giving up cable TV in favor of streaming services.It shouldn't have to be. By entering in partnership and allowing Roku to relay its content, Comcast would keep its customer base happy, My triple play bill is around $170. I hate that, but I live with it. I'd be a lot happier with that bill if I could watch old HBO shows I love on my bigger TV. I wouldn't need to go to Netflix, you know? When I have to watch them on a 17", 9" or 4" screen I am reminded what I don't have, but could, if only...
New Poster

roku box

When will comcast support hbogo with roku box? 

New Poster

You can watch shows instantly with hbogo

New Poster

Please support roku and hbogo

New Poster

I just got the new $29.99 internet plus HBO and HBO GO on Comcast.  Got all excited that my Roku would finally be united with my other television half, only to find that Comcast just hasn't made the last step. 

Please, please, please, Comcast, put HBO GO on the Roku.  You have come half way in meeting us cord cutters, and I really thought you had thought this out.  But, we use Roku, and HBOGO from Comcast is not accessible on Roku.  Why?

New Poster

Re: HBO2GO Roku

Comcast/Xfinity needs to release HBOGO to Roku!  We pay a high premium to get HBO and had we known the issue with Roku, would have bought Apple TV.  It makes no sense that this service is being blocked this way PLEASE Comcast!

Regular Contributor

Re: HBO2GO Roku

Roku is prolly unwilling to pay comcast the exorbinent fees comcast is demanding of Apple and M$ to have HBO-GO

New Poster

When streaming HBOGO through devices vs on demand there are more options not available on OnDemand like Boardwalk Empire Season 1
New Poster

Heres what is weird .. I used to be able to get on Roku. And i can now get on Apple TV but no longer on Roku... Time to cancel HBO
New Poster

Roku

When will I be able to use my HBOGO on my Roku streamer????