Community Forum

ROKU, HBO GO

Contributor

Re: ROKU, HBO GO

I can authenticate Comcast HBO Go on my android tablet and on my PC, but not my Roku. This is not a technical issue since Comcast can authenticate on other devices.  I am greatly disappointed.

Contributor

Um, Comcast DROPPED HBO Zone.

Regular Contributor

@PJTOxford wrote:

Um, Comcast DROPPED HBO Zone.

What is HBO Zone?

Regular Contributor

DirecTV and Comcast did not listen to anyone allowing HBOGO on their systems because Apple TV is an IOS device and it was already on the list without needing anything special.

Still total baloney
Contributor

HBO Zone is one of the channels in the HBO lineup, just like HBO Family and HBO Comedy.  It was part of the package and just went away a couple of months ago, at least here.

Frequent Visitor

Wow, this thread started on 2011, so for whatever's worth, here's my post requesting Comcast to allow access to HBO on Roku
New Poster

This ROKU HBOgo situation is FUBAR. Somebody please post the Comcast CEO's e-mail. We should start filling his inbox with e-mails regarding this issue! Obviously their game is upcharging and putting customer service as last priority. They are crooked as a barrel full of snakes and quickly becoming the Sears of cable companies. What a joke!

Tags (2)
Regular Visitor

ROKU use with HBO GO.

PLEASE ALLOW ROKU TO OPERATE WITH HBO GO. COMCAST IS THE ONLY CABLE CO. TO NOT ALLOW ROKU

I am an HBO subscriber and find that I can not use my Roku unit with HBO GO. Why am I able to use it with all other services but not HBO GO?

Problem Solver
Regular Visitor

Re: Roku Users Ask For Xfinity Channel

Please add Roku to your streaming devices for HBO Go

Contributor

Why Can't I Stream HBO GO Via Our Roku Box??

This has me totally flabergasted....we are a high paying (aren't we all) Xfinity customer that uses comcast for phone, internet and cable tv..including paying for HBO. I am shocked to find out that I cannot stream hbo go through our new Roku streaming box even though we pay for HBO and can stream just fine via a pc. Comcast doesn't even have to do anything here, just say ok for its subscribers to be able to use the Roku hbogo app.

This is shocking and very disappointing. I'll give it a few months but basically I don't see the point in paying comcast for hbo if I can't watch it on my devices....

Contributor

Re: ROKU, HBO GO - SAMSUNG SMART TV

Not only do they block the Roku, but Smart TV's as well. Pretty lame when I pay them for HBO content. Now I have to catch up on Game of Thrones on my computer monitor? Why the frak did I add HBO? To watch Game of Thrones - ON THE BIG SCREEN. Your HBO On Demand service ONLY HAS THE LATEST SEASON. Why are you restricting which monitor I can view the content I paid for on? Absolutely amazing how petty this is

Problem Solver

Re: Why Can't I Stream HBO GO Via Our Roku Box??

Contributor

Re: ROKU, HBO GO - SAMSUNG SMART TV

I just found out about this pathetic problem. I was shocked that someone who pays for HBO cannot access the content we subscribe to on all of the most convenient devices we have..

I'm sure there is increasing pressure on comcast to come around but if they continue to play this game they will lose some subscribers. If they lose subscribers it will be highly profitable ones (like my family) who use comcast for a variety of services.

I know comcast is somehow trying to 'defend its turf' in some way by blocking paid subscribers from accessing the content they pay for, but as with all of these things it will not work. If comcast wants to be my content delivery channel they are going to have to let me get to my content where and when I want to, not where and when they want to.

New Poster

Re: HBO NO Go?

Because HBO Go offers access to a lot more HBO programming than is available through Comcast (and/or Xfinity) On Demand.  For instance, I recently got interested in the HBO series "Boardwalk".  Currently season 3 just completed and it is the only season available through On Demand.  However, HBO GO allows access to all episodes from all three seasons.

New Poster

Enjoy this needless and pitiful exercise of power while you can, Comcast.  There will come a time in the not-so-distant future when content providers like HBO and many others will get thier heads out of thier collective rears and realize that the internet has made legacy content distribution channels obsolete, and the economics associated with them obsolete as well.  They will finally come to realize that they can make more profit by eliminating "middlemen" like you whose only modern role is to sit as the artifical gatekeeper of access to thier content.  This is the same lesson that Tesla Motors is teaching the retail automotive industry.   When that day comes, regardless of what new bells and whistles you have added to your services, I and many like me will not forget the way we have been treated in circumstances like this Roku/Smart TV issue.  Folks like us will not be Comcast customers for one second longer than we have to be.  The point in time at which we can make that glorious choice is hopefully nearly upon us. Our patience will be rewarded with freedom from you, and your arrogance will be punished with a Blockbusteresque corporate death spiral as your customers flee your service offering like it were a modern commercial plague.  

Contributor

I do not see these guys going away but do see them relying more on bandwidth and less on content.

Contributor

@cohenfive wrote:

I do not see these guys going away but do see them relying more on bandwidth and less on content.

They may not go away, but I could confidently say that very vast majority of people in my neighboorhood are anxiously waiting for the day FIOS is avaiable and will then switch with blinding swiftness.

Regular Contributor

@Maz wrote:

@cohenfive wrote:

They may not go away, but I could confidently say that very vast majority of people in my neighboorhood are anxiously waiting for the day FIOS is avaiable and will then switch with blinding swiftness.

Personally, I'm hoping for Google's internet--but will take any viable alternative to Comcast for internet as soon as one becomes available.

New Poster

The HBO GO channel/app has much more content than is available via HBO On Demand. Example: the BBC mini-series "Einstein and Eddington" is not available on OnDemand, but it is available thru December 2014 on HBO GO. It is VERY inconvenient for me to watch HBO GO programs on my iPad or laptop at home while knitting or riding my exercise bike, particularly when I have a 46 inch HDTV sitting 5 feet in front of me. It would be nice to have HBO GO included in the exorbitant price Comcast/Xfinity is already charging me for HBO.
New Poster

+1 to HBO GO on ROKU - additional content and viewing options are very important to me.  My setup contains 2 TiVo HD's with cable cards (no On Demand there) and a Comcast cable box in our 7 year old's room.  We're not going to watch our HBO on demand in our 7 year old's room.

Between this, rising cost for existing loyal subscribers, and inability for customer service to successfully get me on a lower cost plan, I'm seriously looking at alternatives.

Contributor

if you come up with alternates let us know...here in the bay area they have the fastest internet which is what is really holding us as a customer...

Regular Contributor

@cohenfive wrote:

if you come up with alternates let us know...here in the bay area they have the fastest internet which is what is really holding us as a customer...

You can always switch to another television provider and keep Comcast for the internet, that is what I have done. Rather than pay the monthly rental fee, I purchased my own modem, which has now "paid itself off."  I have Dish for tv, Comast for internet until a viable alternative comes to my town.

New Poster

Let me point something out...

I watch a ton of television and I've been playing for all premium channels for a while.  I have showtime, HBO, Starz, Encore, Cinemax, etc. 

Xfinity's television service is (at the moment) complete garbage.  Trying to sort through my available on demand content is a choir.  It's a painful experience that is completely outdated.  It's slow responsive and it's muddled by endless menus of nonsense.  If I want to see what's on Showtime, for instance... I have to go to On Demand->Premium Channels->Showtime->HD->Movies->A-G... then back out and look at H-P... etc.  Then if I want to see what's available for HBO it's the same mess of menus.  On Demand->Premium Channels->HBO->HD->Movies... etc

Some of this pain is alleviated by the iOS app... which is actually very FAR more intutiive and helpful.  I can very quickly go to On Demand -> movies and add filters for HD and "Free" ... it will show a list of every single movie available to me.  I appreciate this.  It would be nice to have a more intuitive menu on the actual box, though.  The new X1 platform does indeed sound promising ( http://www.comcast.com/X1 ), but at the moment it's not available in my area.  I've also read some poor initial reviews of it.  But it sounds promising.  It gives you that intutive "netflixy" iOS experience on your box.   Until that becomes available, I find myself avoiding Xfinity more and more in favor of streaming services.

I was shocked to log into HBO Go online to find that it had FAR FAR more content than what is currently available through Xfinity On Demand.  While Xfinity On Demand might have a couple dozen movies and a handful of TV shows (often not even the full seasons), HBO On Demand seems to give you access to literally every movie HBO currently has the rights to as well as their entire catalog of previous and current series.  If you want to watch all of Deadwood, you can.  If you want to watch all of "The Wire", you can.  HBO GO is vastly superior to the HBO "on demand" content Xfinity makes available.

I recently bought a Roku specifically for the purpose of streaming that HBO Go content (which I have access to from my iPhone, iPad and computer) easily to my television.  I was SHOCKED to find out this isn't possible.  SHOCKED and annoyed, honestly.  That's freakin ridiculous.  It didn't give me an option to sign in to my HBO Go account via the Roku, because Xfinity/Comcast wasn't listed as a provider.  What's the reasoning behind that?  I'm paying Xfinity for HBO.  Why would they limit my access to HBO?

I did, however, notice that Time Warner was an option.  Luckily, I have a grandmother in Los Angeles with a Time Warner account who also pays for HBO and never uses her HBO Go account.  I decided to link my Roku to her HBO Go account.  Yay... I found a freakin loophole on how to access the content I'm already paying for.

The experience has encouraged me to find other "loopholes" and other outlets for finding content.  I'm more than happy to continue paying for my Xfinity service/content if they are willing to adapt.  A device like a ROku is powerful, because it lets me search for content over a variety of services I pay for at once... netflix, amazon prime, hbo go, spotify, hulu plus, etc.  If there was an Xfinity TV channel available on Roku, i'd gladly add that as well... I'd continue ignorantly paying Xfinity just so I could have a plethora of easily accessible content in one location.   But if Xfinity is unwilling to adapt quickly and continues to keep their outdated service as-is, it will likely make me cancel my Xfinity TV subscription all together (as many others have been doing in the broadband age) and access the content elsewhere. 

New Poster

Oh no. Not true. HBO Go gives you access to a lot more HBO content than Comcast's On Demand does. 

New Poster

You can access a lot more content on HBO Go than through On Demand. 

Highlighted
Contributor

@Matt2h wrote:

Oh no. Not true. HBO Go gives you access to a lot more HBO content than Comcast's On Demand does. 

Which comment is this in response to?

Contributor

I think most of those posts are from folks who see the third comment on the first page, not realizing that this issue has such a huge response that there are now 30 pages of complaints (including several "answer" replies. From the first page: 

the only thing the app would do is provide you on demand type programming, which you should have with your regular cable box, what exactly would you like the app to be on roku that you can't already do with your cable box.?

Contributor

Nedyken,

The X1 makes the on-demand situation worse -- they've made it even harder to find content.  I just got one a couple of weeks ago, and I wish I hadn't.  The DVR is still not as good as a five year old TIVO, it's not as bad as the standard Comcast DVR, but still not what you'd expect from a modern platform.

As for anyone who thinks HBO Go and HBO on Demand are similar, their not!  HBO Go has pretty much everything HBO have every produced - you can watch ALL of Larry David or The Extras for instance (both of which are NOT available with HBO on Demand) -- you can even start BoardWalk Empire from Episode 1 and zip up to the newest episodes in a week (like I just did).  Can't do that with On Demand...

Regular Contributor

@FrozenSlime wrote:

Nedyken,

The X1 makes the on-demand situation worse -- they've made it even harder to find content.  I just got one a couple of weeks ago, and I wish I hadn't.  The DVR is still not as good as a five year old TIVO, it's not as bad as the standard Comcast DVR, but still not what you'd expect from a modern platform.

As for anyone who thinks HBO Go and HBO on Demand are similar, their not!  HBO Go has pretty much everything HBO have every produced - you can watch ALL of Larry David or The Extras for instance (both of which are NOT available with HBO on Demand) -- you can even start BoardWalk Empire from Episode 1 and zip up to the newest episodes in a week (like I just did).  Can't do that with On Demand...

The installer that put my X1 in said it's not fully functional yet. Bugs are still being worked out and applications will be added (including HBOGO) between now and November.

What I've found to be true, especially with Comcast (due to other issues with the service), is if you want to know what's really going on, talk to a technician. They are the only ones who know up to the minute what's going on, most of them anyway.

BTW, I've found the X1 to be light years ahead of the piece of junk they gave me back in June when I signed up. It reminded me of the first cable box I had back in '82, just not as good.

Contributor

So is your tech saying that comcast is turning the corner and will allow full access to all hbogo content by the end of the year? Did he say anything about streaming via roku?

Contributor

I am willing to bet that the X1 will allow you to stream the same content that they offer online (which includes a much larger selection of HBO, past seasons, etc.), but that they are not suddenly changing course on their failure to support HBO Go. I could be (hopefully) wrong, but based on experience...

Regular Contributor

@cohenfive wrote:

So is your tech saying that comcast is turning the corner and will allow full access to all hbogo content by the end of the year? Did he say anything about streaming via roku?

Yeah, the HBOGO app on X1 by November. We both agree that's why it won't ever be on Roku. Eventually, all the old DVR boxes will be replaced by the X1 (and later the X2...an X1 without the hard drive, completely cloud based), and they'll be looking for different carrots to dangle in front of those who do not have now/don't want a DVR. Keeping it off Roku would be the stick.

Contributor

Or it could be the stick to just leave comcast, at least for tv service. That is what I am starting to wrestle with. I'd be happy to stay, and even to keep paying their sky high fees, but at least give me access to all the content I am paying for....or I'll just find a way to piece together the parts I really want via a different distribution channel.

Regular Contributor

@cohenfive wrote:

Or it could be the stick to just leave comcast, at least for tv service. That is what I am starting to wrestle with. I'd be happy to stay, and even to keep paying their sky high fees, but at least give me access to all the content I am paying for....or I'll just find a way to piece together the parts I really want via a different distribution channel.

In 1 year and 9 months when my contract is up, I'll be looking at what's available in my area. If there's something better, I'll consider changing depending what Comcast is up to then and what the monthly cost is.

I'm in an area where there is only one choice each for phone and cable, and I had DirecTV for tv. The DSL from the phone company limited me forever to only 8 meg speed and the combination of that and DirecTV was running $240 a month, with no pay channels.

Unless something like FIOS, Google or Cable/Intenet through electric lines comes in, I'll end up keeping Comcast Internet and seeing what else is available for phone and cable and for what prices. I can get a 2 line VoIP box that all I'll have to do is plug it in to the Comcast wiring that would run $149 a year and I could go back to DirecTV depending on the price compared to Comcast TV. Right now, I'm paying $89.95 plus taxes and fees for 2 years for Comcast's Triple Play and a bunch of movie channels. It was too good a carrot to turn down...for the next 1 year and 9 months anyway after which I'm sure I'll get beaten to death with the stick.

Contributor

OMG! They have just added Comcast XFINITY to their partner list, however when you go to check the "supported devices" under Comcast, it lists darn (fixed so as not to offend the censors - jeez)  near everything BUT the Roku (iPad, iPhone, XBox 360, Apple TV, Kindle Fire and Android phones/tablets). What kind of BS is this Comcast? Wht did Roku do to you? Either they really have an issue with Roku, or they have some secret deal with Google for a percentage of ChromeCast sales... I'll be sure to let them know I bought their device thanks to you.

And still no official response on here? Close to 1500 complaints and no official word regarding their lack of support? Way to go - a new customer service low.

Contributor

who is they?

Contributor

Re: Roku Users Ask For Xfinity to support HBO GO

HBO GO. When I went to register my Roku device last week, Comcast was not even in their list of content providers. Now it shows up for other devices, but there is still no Roku support. HBO is dropping the ball for allowing Comcast to sidestep the Roku device. If you pay for HBO you should be able to access it on all of your supported devices, regardless of who you are paying for your content.

Contributor

I think it's highly likely a comcast ball dropping not an hbo one.....

Contributor

Subscribers demand Xfinity support HBO GO on all devices

From the HBO GO site: HBO GO is only available through participating television providers.  On Roku Streaming Player devices, the following television providers offer HBO GO free as part of your HBO subscription: Advanced Cable, Antietam, Astound, AT&T U-Verse TV, Atlantic Broadband, ATMC, BendBroadband, Blue Ridge Communications, Bright House, Burlington Telecom, BVU OptiNet, Cable ONE, Buckeye CableSystem, CenturyLink Prism, Charter, Cox, Cincinnati Bell Fioptics, Clear Creek Communications, DISH, Easton Cable Velocity, EPB Fiber Optics, GCI, Grande Communications, GVTC Communications, Hawaiian Telcom, Home Telecom, Home Town Cable Plus, Hotwire Communications, HTC Communications, HTC Digital Cable, JEA, Long Lines, LUS Fiber, Massillon Cable/CPI, Mediacom, MetroCast,  Mi-Connection, Midcontinent Communications, Nex-Tech, Openband Multimedia, Optimum, RCN, Service Electric Broadband, Service Electric Cable TV, Service Electric Cablevision, Suddenlink, SureWest Broadband, Time Warner Cable, Verizon FiOS, Wave Broadband and WOW!.

Apparently all of these other companies understand that not everyone wants to watch HBO shows on their phone or tablet, why doesn't Comcast seem to get it? It's not like subscibers are going to throw their Roku device away and update to a triple play service in order to get the X1 (assuming the above poster is correct, they do not list that device or Samsung Smart TV's either).

Contributor

Oh I agree, I just think that HBO should take a more "either you support all devices or you don't get to offer us in your channel lineup" approach. I mean, when it comes down to it, HBO has all the bargaining chips in their conrner, and it makes sense that they would want PAYING customers to be able to access the content on the device of their choice. Smiley Happy

It's like Comcast perceives Roku as a threat to it's market, but since you HAVE to be an HBO subscriber in order to get HBO GO in the first place - I really don't see how it's a threat to their bottom end, and if they leveraged it the other way around, it might actually drive more sales to them! It must come down to licensing fees or something - it's the only thing that makes sense

Regular Contributor

@Dubguy wrote:

Oh I agree, I just think that HBO should take a more "either you support all devices or you don't get to offer us in your channel lineup" approach. I mean, when it comes down to it, HBO has all the bargaining chips in their conrner, and it makes sense that they would want PAYING customers to be able to access the content on the device of their choice. Smiley Happy

It's like Comcast perceives Roku as a threat to it's market, but since you HAVE to be an HBO subscriber in order to get HBO GO in the first place - I really don't see how it's a threat to their bottom end, and if they leveraged it the other way around, it might actually drive more sales to them! It must come down to licensing fees or something - it's the only thing that makes sense

2 words

BOX RENTAL

They make millions in box rentals alone.

They prolly still have a contract with HBO that lets them (comcast) decide how to distribute HBO content to their subs.

Contributor

Okay - but I'm already paying rental fees for my box and my modem. If my box would let me watch the content available on HBO GO this would not be an issue. I can only assume everyone with Comcast subscribing to HBO also rents a Comcast box? Is this assumption incorrect?

On a side note - how are you guys replying and getting the "replied to" text to show up? Are you pasting it in? 

Regular Contributor

@Dubguy wrote:

Okay - but I'm already paying rental fees for my box and my modem. If my box would let me watch the content available on HBO GO this would not be an issue. I can only assume everyone with Comcast subscribing to HBO also rents a Comcast box? Is this assumption incorrect?

On a side note - how are you guys replying and getting the "replied to" text to show up? Are you pasting it in? 

You hit the quote button.

Most people have to rent one box but the average house with a family has between 3 to 6 tvs. and its the aditional TV revenue that would be lost.

Regular Contributor

I only have Internet with comcast. I pay for netflix and The Blaze TV services I also download all the TV shows I like to watch. If I could pay HBO directly like I could for MLB TV like 150 or even 200 bucks annually I would. Then stream it through my pc or a Roku device.

Regular Contributor

@FrozenSlime wrote:

Point of clarification--the full library is not available on COMCAST's on Demand, Dish HBO on Demand has the full library that is also on HBO Go.

Regular Contributor

@Dubguy wrote:

OMG! They have just added Comcast XFINITY to their partner list, however when you go to check the "supported devices" under Comcast, it lists darn (fixed so as not to offend the censors - jeez)  near everything BUT the Roku (iPad, iPhone, XBox 360, Apple TV, Kindle Fire and Android phones/tablets). What kind of BS is this Comcast? Wht did Roku do to you? Either they really have an issue with Roku, or they have some secret deal with Google for a percentage of ChromeCast sales... I'll be sure to let them know I bought their device thanks to you.

And still no official response on here? Close to 1500 complaints and no official word regarding their lack of support? Way to go - a new customer service low.

Dubguy, HBO Go has been available for Comcast customers since at least October 2012 when I switched to Comast for 5 weeks--just NOT on the Roku. They allow it on pc, tablets and phone, XBox live. Just NOT Roku/

Regular Contributor

Re: Subscribers demand Xfinity support HBO GO on all devices

@Dubguy wrote:

Apparently all of these other companies understand that not everyone wants to watch HBO shows on their phone or tablet, why doesn't Comcast seem to get it? It's not like subscibers are going to throw their Roku device away and update to a triple play service in order to get the X1 (assuming the above poster is correct, they do not list that device or Samsung Smart TV's either).

Oh, they understand it. They just don't care.

Frequent Visitor

Hey all, if you guys want to effect change, go to https://www.comcastsupport.com/ChatEntry/ and chat up a representative.  Let them know 3 things:

1) Comcast does not grant access to HBOgo app on Roku while other cable providers do,

2) HBOgo access on Roku is important to you, and although you don't want to change cable providers, you will if Comcast doesn't allow access in the near future,

3) Ask that your concerns are forwarded to upper management.

The rep that I talked to told me that they were getting a few of these requests and that the "upper tier" management were discussing HBOgo on Roku.  What we need to do is blast them with requests for hbogo support on Roku.

The bottom line: they do not care about this forum so it is best not to waste your effort here.  Also, don't even bother with calling in.  I was transferred 5 times and waited on hold for 45 minutes just to get "Comcast doesn't currently support HBOgo on Roku."  That was from a supervisor who told me that there was no one above him I could talk to.

Contributor

@Dubguy wrote:

I think some are conflating 2 different issues. Comcast always supported HBOGo- they have always advertised this.  The problem is they don't support certain devices like Roku and Samsung smart TVs.