Community Forum

ROKU, HBO GO

New Poster

Re: ROKU, HBO GO

I just found this thread after buying a Roku 3 and setting it up along with my universal remote. VERY DISAPPOINTED in Comcast. The kind of disappointed where I re evaluate my TV provider. Ridiculous.

Highlighted
Contributor

Re: Roku Users Ask For Xfinity Channel

@Queen-Evie wrote:

post by ianr removed.

After being told not to use one word there was an equally offensive word substituted. It also contained an acroynm in which one letter stands for a no no word.

THIS is what gets you to respond?  1,400 messages about this issue without a peep from you, but a "no no" word gets your fingers on the keyboard?  Well, it certainly accurately reflects the priorities of Comcast.  What a shame.

New Poster

HBOGO for ROKU

Need help.

I have an HBO subscription with Comcast. I want to get HBOGO on my ROKU.

What are the steps to do this?  Thanks in advance.

Regular Contributor

@CRBryant wrote:

@rog286713wrote:

the only thing the app would do is provide you on demand type programming, which you should have with your regular cable box, what exactly would you like the app to be on roku that you can't already do with your cable box.?"\

Wow, that is an interesting response from a "Silver Problem Solver" I wonder if you still have your job?

Well I would like to be able to watch a HBO show without having to force the cable box to change the channel.  My old TiVo 2 still works and is hooked up to that box.  That is why I would like to use Roku. 

I can use XBox or another game system, but it gets overheated and I am sure Comcast would not but another game system when it overheats.

Rog's reply there is from 2011, but for the record, my experience with rog's responses is that he has no patience with those who believe they should be able to get the programming options they WANT not those that are rationed out by Comcast.

Silver Problem Solver

Maz

For the record Queen Evie is a customer NOT an employee.

Contributor

Adding my voice to the mix -- I just bought an Roku 3, got it all setup only to discover that the management @ xfinity don't support it.  I've an appleTV in my office for watching HBO Go, but as someone else pointed out, Apple don't support Amazon Prime -- I thought Roku would be the best solution, but no HBO GO!

Come on Comcast, make an effort.

New Poster

Re: HBO NO Go?

because HBO GO advertises 1400 titles, there isn't 1400 titles in HBO ondemand.

rog286713 wrote:

Why are you trying to watch it on roku when you can play it from your TVAre you just trying to get around the needing a box issueThis is strictly for  my own curiousity as this is a customer to customer forum mainly.

Regular Contributor

@kidddaniel wrote:

because HBO GO advertises 1400 titles, there isn't 1400 titles in HBO ondemand.

rog286713 wrote:

Why are you trying to watch it on roku when you can play it from your TVAre you just trying to get around the needing a box issueThis is strictly for  my own curiousity as this is a customer to customer forum mainly.

Even though the reply from rog is a couple of years old, it does point out the issue that many of the "problem solvers" refuse to acknowledge--that Comcast denys users access to full programming functionality that is available to customers of virtually every other provider (except DIRECTTV). I have Dish, and I get the full HBOGo lineup on my onDemand through Dish. ALL 1400+ titles.

Frequent Visitor

HBOGO on Roku

I find it absurd that Comcast is about the only cable company that does not support HBOGO on Roku. Yes I know it is supported on PC and smartphones. But I want to watch it on my 50" TV, not a 4" phone screen or a 19" monitor! Get with the program, Comcast!  

Please give an explanation why Comcast is the only cable company not supporting it.

Regular Contributor

@priziedog wrote:

I too have been eagerly awaiting HBOgo availability on my Roku, only to discover that Comcast is not offering it.

I emailed a complaint to Comcast and received a confusing reply:

"we currently do not offer the option to watch HBOgo via Roku. However, need not to worry, as we are continuing to innovate to ensure the best user experience. We have partnered with our Programming  providers to create Online TV through Partner Sites - a new way for customers to enjoy video online.

The ability is still in its infancy and will continue to grow as we move towards a broad launch of Online TV through Partner Sites. Please keep an eye on your monthly statements for any communication regarding additional features we will be launching soon."

Comcast, I am not looking for "online TV." As an HBO subsccriber on Comcast, I want the full HBOgo available to me on Roku, just as it is available to HBO subscribers on ATT, Verizon, Dish and so on. There is no excuse for delay or "other alternatives." 

I am very disappointed with Comcast.

It's still disappointing that almost 2 years has gone by since the above answer from Comcast and we still can't watch the full content of HBOGO on our TV's either with On Demand or Roku.

I just began a 2 year contract with Comcast/Xfinity after years of avoiding them. Between this, the virtually non-existant customer service, even from my assigned sales rep who's cell number he gave me to reach him which he doesn't answer or return messages, the month long disaster of getting my phone numbers ported to them and every bill so far being wrong, I'm ready to dump them.

Frequent Visitor

@FrozenSlime wrote:

@adding my voice to the mix -- I just bought an Roku 3, got it all setup only to discover that the management @ xfinity don't support it. 

Of course, Roku also just added a FoxNow app, and whatdda ya know--Comcast also doesn't authenticate with that. This is really irritating!

If moderaters are removing posts for profanity, they are obviously reading this baord--I wish they would respond. It's been two years!

Regular Contributor

Re: ROKU, HBO GO Chromecast

Thank you Google for doing what Comcast refused to do. Put HBOGO on my TV with the Chromecast. Dont worry about ROKU and HBOGO or xfinity app, just get the $35 Chromecast and stream wirelessly from your computer, no HDMI PC required.

New Poster

well bring aTV outside and watch things without a needed cable wire to name 1

Regular Contributor

@KyleNolan wrote:

@FrozenSlime wrote:

@adding my voice to the mix -- I just bought an Roku 3, got it all setup only to discover that the management @ xfinity don't support it. 

Of course, Roku also just added a FoxNow app, and whatdda ya know--Comcast also doesn't authenticate with that. This is really irritating!

If moderaters are removing posts for profanity, they are obviously reading this baord--I wish they would respond. It's been two years!

Moderators have no authority to respond with the info we all want all they are paid to do is baby sit the boards. Heck they prolly pay some college kid 12 bucks an hour to login and doit from their dorm rooms between parties LOL...

Frequent Visitor

You make an excellent point! I moved here from MO and had Time Warner Cable there. I could even watch LIVE cable TV, ALL channels, from my iPad or iPhone. When I called Comcast before moving here, I asked them if I could watch live TV and they said yes. WRONG, only demand and only a very few channels. I also asked about HBO GO specifically and was also told YES. Again, WRONG - not even with Roku. I was also told that Comcast was entering the KC, MO market. I would suspect that they will fall on their face if their access is as limited as it is here. I do not want to bad mouth Comcast, I just wish they would at a minimum keep up with the market demand if not trying to pave a way for the future and for their entrance into new markets.
New Poster

Absolutely! I want it too, and it is so unfair to the consumers. I figure the reason HBO Go is unavailable on our Roku players is because Comcast wants to squeeze every possiblle penny out of us. Their Streampix service would suffer if HBO Go was available to us.
New Poster

You should wake up!!! The programming that is available On Demand is extremely limited...basically, it sucks!!! (And so does Comcast!!)
Regular Contributor

@ATCDAV wrote:

Thank you Google for doing what Comcast refused to do. Put HBOGO on my TV with the Chromecast. Dont worry about ROKU and HBOGO or xfinity app, just get the $35 Chromecast and stream wirelessly from your computer, no HDMI PC required.

The thing is many of us already HAVE the Roku and don't want to spend money on yet more devices...I have had the ROKU for two years. The lack of HBOGo on the Roku is one of the primary reasons I dumped Comcast for television 5 weeks after I started with them last fall.

Regular Contributor

Completely understand and agree. I tried 3 times for uverse but finally found out I am 10k from hub. So stuck with comcast. We set my daughter up with uverse. Jealous. It is awesome. They took. The 12mbs Internet to save money and I swear it is faster than my comcast 50mbs
New Poster

What HBO needs to do is drop this cable/dish exlusive nonsence and do a Netflix and all this can be avoided. They are experimenting with it in Europe a bit, but I think once they see Netflix hit 40-60 mill subs in US alone they might pull the trigger.

Regular Contributor

@Sky99 wrote:

What HBO needs to do is drop this cable/dish exlusive nonsence and do a Netflix and all this can be avoided. They are experimenting with it in Europe a bit, but I think once they see Netflix hit 40-60 mill subs in US alone they might pull the trigger.

Why wouldnt HBO use their own service to stream? Ide pay 10 bucks a month or 89.99 for the whole year for HBO as a stand alone service.

Contributor

@commanguy wrote:

Maz

For the record Queen Evie is a customer NOT an employee.

Oh, that's very different.   Nevermind.

Frequent Visitor

But then again HBO always have old stuff on there and maybe one or two good movies.  Why are they still playing the old Terminator and When Harry Met Sally and stuff from the 90's. 

New Poster

I have the same problem. HBO GO offers past seasons. I can't access these on xfinity cable box.
New Poster

Re: HBOGO for ROKU

I want HBOGO on Roku also.  The message I got when trying to set it up was that Comcast does not support and that Comcast subscribers should complain to Comcast, which is what I am trying to do but they do not make it easy to send email complaints.

New Poster

I have Roku as well, and I am frustrated that I can't add HBO GO using my comcast account, since I would be able to do the same thing using FIOS. Smiley Sad  Sad sad...

New Poster

I alos just purchased a ROKU3 specifically for the HBOGO app.  After being essentially forced to use Comcast due to trees (no Direct TV), and no other cable subscribers accessible in my area I have been pretty frustrated with Comcast's high rates and fees for pretty much everything under the sun. The no ROKU support for HBOGO just tops the cake.  I do not understand how I can watch full HBOGO content on my Samsung Galaxy 2 tab but not on the Roku device.  I can only assume it is about user fees that Comcast wants from ROKU. Yet another point that COMCAST is in the same ilk as the corporate banks that do nothing but take.

Next step, midnight tree chopping.  Maybe my neighbor won't notice the missing trees.......

New Poster

I also just purchased a ROKU3 specifically for the HBOGO app.  After being essentially forced to use Comcast due to trees (no Direct TV), and no other cable subscribers accessible in my area I have been pretty frustrated with Comcast's high rates and fees for pretty much everything under the sun. The no ROKU support for HBOGO just tops the cake.  I do not understand how I can watch full HBOGO content on my Samsung Galaxy 2 tab but not on the Roku device.  I can only assume it is about user fees that Comcast wants from ROKU. Yet another point that COMCAST is in the same ilk as the corporate banks that do nothing but take.

Next step, midnight tree chopping.  Maybe my neighbor won't notice the missing trees.......

Regular Contributor

I just had an X1 box installed the other day (light years better than the previous boxes, btw). As I usually do when talking to anyone from Comcast, I asked the installer if he knew anything about HBOGO and the Roku. I finally got what I think is a plausible answer.

He thought the reason HBOGO is not authorized for the Roku is the new X1 boxes will have the HBOGO app installed, negating (in Comcast's opinion) the need for viewing it on Roku. The app isn't showing up on the X1 yet, but supposedly will by the time all the features are rolled out in November.

Not a perfect answer, especially for non-DVR users, but at least more of an answer than I've gotten from the "official" sources.

Frequent Visitor

I couldn't imagine NOT using a DVR--but I have a TiVo and not the Comcast DVR, so that X1 support is useless to me. There shouldn't be this pick and choose by the cable company--authentication should be done by HBO and work on any platform that HBOGo runs on!

Frequent Visitor

@workerdummy wrote:

I just had an X1 box installed the other day (light years better than the previous boxes, btw). As I usually do when talking to anyone from Comcast, I asked the installer if he knew anything about HBOGO and the Roku. I finally got what I think is a plausible answer.

He thought the reason HBOGO is not authorized for the Roku is the new X1 boxes will have the HBOGO app installed, negating (in Comcast's opinion) the need for viewing it on Roku. The app isn't showing up on the X1 yet, but supposedly will by the time all the features are rolled out in November.

Not a perfect answer, especially for non-DVR users, but at least more of an answer than I've gotten from the "official" sources.

But again this screws those of us who are not Triple Play users. 

Regular Contributor

Triple play has no benifites. No HD, No DVR, no X1, No Roku. Just as messed up as those with out triple play.

New Poster

adding my voice to a 29 page thread.... we just got Roku for our bedroom tv because we really don't want to bother with routing cable and setting another box.  I don't see any good reason when the requirement for HBO Go is that I pay for HBO (which I do) and I can have it on my Iphone, Ipad, and Xbox my cable subscriber can block me from having access on this other device?  Seriously comcast??  

New Poster

I have a roku player and have an account with comcast/xfinity...I would like to be able to accesss my hbo go app on the roku player. As you do have some things on demand, you do not offer the full seasons of shows as HBO Go does. Please add your contract to the Roku player!!!

Frequent Visitor

Some of you are almost complaining to the fact that the main reason why we all bought roku in the first place, was to save money!  Point blank.  We all know that Xfinity/comcast is way toooooo expensive; so what if we would love hbogo on roku, why not???? 

Frequent Visitor

att is much cheaper too.  If i could att out here where I live in the country, I would have been switched!

Frequent Visitor

The thing about it, is that I love comcast/xfinity BUT the real issue is this, if xfinity wants to be the best; they need to step on their services!  In the end, all they will end up doing is having more complaints and people going else where.  They could easily put hbogo on roku BUT they would obviously put an extra fee for this service!  Yes, we all want to save on Comcast, because it is expensive.  Ridiculous contracts.

Regular Contributor

@dellyd123 wrote:

Some of you are almost complaining to the fact that the main reason why we all bought roku in the first place, was to save money!  Point blank.  We all know that Xfinity/comcast is way toooooo expensive; so what if we would love hbogo on roku, why not???? 

Actually, no that is not the reason I bought Roku. I originally bought it to be able to stream Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Prime to the television without using an HDMI from my pc, and to have something to watch when on the road in hotel rooms besides the basic programming available there. Then I started streaming HBOgo. Then I went to Comcast and I couldn't stream HBOgo any longer. It is one of the reasons (there were many) that I returned to Dish within 5 weeks of signing up for Comcast.

Regular Contributor

@dellyd123 wrote:

The thing about it, is that I love comcast/xfinity BUT the real issue is this, if xfinity wants to be the best; they need to step on their services!  In the end, all they will end up doing is having more complaints and people going else where.  They could easily put hbogo on roku BUT they would obviously put an extra fee for this service!  Yes, we all want to save on Comcast, because it is expensive.  Ridiculous contracts.

Not sure what there is to love about them. I hated them for the brief time I was with them.

Regular Contributor

@DMilnerJax wrote:

Not sure what there is to love about them. I hated them for the brief time I was with them.

I had Frontier Comm for my phone and internet and DirecTV for my satellite and was up to $235 a month. The internet was 6-8 meg and would go no higher because of distance from CO restrictions and I had no premium services aside from a DVR from DTV.

While I'm not a huge fan of Comcast in any way, shape or form, I have the Triple Play, HBO, Starz, Encore and a few others for 2 years at $89 a month and I just got an X1 box which so far is great. Comcast's On Demand blows DTV's out of the water it's so much better and tons of free things to watch compared to DTV's pay for everything.

So far, the service has run pretty much without problems. The only hassle I've had with them was the phone number porting and getting the bills right, which they are slowly getting done. They even gave my 3 free months of Showtime for the last screw up. Once the bill is straightened up and if the service continues to run without problems, I can see staying with them after the 2 years is up...depending what the price is of course. I don't need the premium channels other than Streampix, so that will cut the bill down quite a bit.

So right now, Comcast is better than what I had, both service wise and price wise. They do need to work on the customer service part though, although if everything is working right, I won't need to talk to them anyway.

Regular Contributor

I'll learn not to say nice things about something I wouldn't normally say nice things about. The X1 box just froze up and is taking forever to reboot.

New Poster

I'll add my voice to this one.  I have an Apple TV that I've streamed HBO GO for a few years no problem.  I picked up a Roku box the other day for TV set in my bedroom and was shocked to see Comcast does not play well with Roku.  Why Apple TV but not Roku, Comcast?

Regardless, my GF handled it by using her FIOS account which works just fine with Roku.  

Dear Comcast, if all your competitors support Roku and you do not, why would I stay with you?

Checking on FIOS pricing right now.

New Poster

there's a simple workaround here, guys:

1.  find a friend/family member who subscribes to HBO with a service provider who allows Roku to stream HBO

2.  set up your roku's HBO Go through that friend/family member's account

3.  voila -- avoid comcast's limit altogether.  comcast has no say in this, because they can't control what you watch on your roku.  HBO is the only one who may have a problem with this, because you'd be sharing services.  however, if you subscribe to HBO through comcast yourself--like we all apparently do--HBO isn't losing out on any revenue, and is having its fans watch its content via Roku, which is what they always wanted.  i of course wouldn't recommend this if you weren't subscribing to HBO independently.

it's a win-win situation, and i recommend everyone do it.  

New Poster

I don't believe I have a friend or family person who has HBO, but not through Comcast. At least someone I know well enough to ask their username and password. There are precious few people I would give mine to.

New Poster

Yeah it's not perfect, because you at least need that connection.

If I didn't have that connection, I'd probably cancel Comcast and go with another provider.  

Contributor

Weitz1971 -- that's not really a valid solution.  I don't have anyone outside the comcast area who has HBO, and even if I did, I'm not sure it would be entirely legal.

The bottom line is we all want Comcast to support Roku for HBO Go.  They support Android, Apple & Xbox -- I can't see any business reason for them not to support Roku at this point.  It's not like if they got it working we'd all dump our comcast boxes.

I'd imagine that the problem stems from the way Roku requires authorization.  It's different from the way HBO Go works on Apple/Android -- and it may require Comcast to actually do some work with their web portal, and that's what they will not do.  There is no business reason for them to spend time & money doing it.

Now, Roku have a valid business reason, and they should modify their service to use a similar authorization method as the other devices that currently work with Comcast & HBO Go.  I've already returned my Roku as it doesnt do what I wanted, and that cost Roku money...

Contributor

I wouldn't blame Roku. It sounds to me like Comcast is the one out of step here.  All other cable providers either thought it was simple to authenticate or had no problem spending the time to authenticate with Roku.  That makes Comcast either lazy or stupid.

Note: Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon Prime and numerous other paid services have no problem authenticating through Roku. 

Regular Contributor

@workerdummy wrote:

@DMilnerJax wrote:

So right now, Comcast is better than what I had, both service wise and price wise. They do need to work on the customer service part though, although if everything is working right, I won't need to talk to them anyway.

They told me my bill would be 190.00 per month for programming--the rep convenienty neglected to mention the additional fee for each of the 4 receivers (1 "Anyroom" DVR, 3 digital boxes) and the triple play with "everything."  Then I found out the DVR would only hold about 25 - 40 recorded programs in HD (down from at least quadruple that with Dish). The Anyroom DVR did not let me do anything but (sometimes-frequently failed) watch shows in other rooms. Could not start recordings, pause or rewind from another room. The ability to stream live television that I was told would work anywhere would only work on my home network on a tablet (which I did not have) and I had to pay 10.00 per month extra for that. A second DVR for the additional capacity - another 10.00 per month. In 5 weeks had to swap out the DVR 4 times--standing in line for 45 minutes or more to do so since I would not pay the extra fee per month to have home service without paying 30.00 for a home visit--even though it was their equipment failure. Remotes were not addressable, so every time hubby tried to change the channel in his tv (sports, sports, and more sports) it would affect the box for the main tv as well in the living room. Then they signed me up (without asking if I wanted the service) for some kind of computer/home networking support. I do tech support myself, and have done so for well over 2 decades - and they still kept trying to convince me that I need the service when I told them to cancel it. Hours and hours on the phone with tech support (NOT counting hold time) to get wrong answers 90% of the time. The Roku issue was another item in the list.

THEN I got my first bill. That 190.00 per month had escalated to over 250.00 per month. I dropped them like a hot potato for everything except internet and ran back to Dish as fast as I could. If I had a viable alternative to that....

Regular Contributor

@weitz1971 wrote:

there's a simple workaround here, guys:

1.  find a friend/family member who subscribes to HBO with a service provider who allows Roku to stream HBO

2.  set up your roku's HBO Go through that friend/family member's account

3.  voila -- avoid comcast's limit altogether.  comcast has no say in this, because they can't control what you watch on your roku.  HBO is the only one who may have a problem with this, because you'd be sharing services.  however, if you subscribe to HBO through comcast yourself--like we all apparently do--HBO isn't losing out on any revenue, and is having its fans watch its content via Roku, which is what they always wanted.  i of course wouldn't recommend this if you weren't subscribing to HBO independently.

it's a win-win situation, and i recommend everyone do it.  

Even better solution. Switch to a different vendor for services.

New Poster

I would like to have my HBO go activated on my Roku and a comcast channel. We need to raise our voices and demand it. DirectTv listened to its customers and let them use it on apple Tv we should demand the same for Roku.