Community Forum

ROKU, HBO GO

New Poster

Re: Roku Users Ask For Xfinity Channel

The reason Rog, is that on demand is limited to a number of seasons and some shows aren't even available.  Not to mention the fact that comcast's 1990's style UI drives me nuts.  

New Poster

Re: ROKU, HBO GO

I am a comcast subscriber and would love for the xfinity ap and hbogo on my streaming roku player. It has the hbogo ap and all the cable providers do this for their customers. I would like comcast to subscribe to the roku hbogo ap as well.

New Poster

Re: HBO NO Go?

I notice this too!!!! So does Warner cable and others.

New Poster

comcast Joe that is nice but I a not purchasing or own an xbox 360. I have internet and tv services provided by comcast. I would rather have the hbogo on my roku where other aps are and where other cable provides are offering to their customers.

New Poster

CANNOT GET HBOGO ON ROKU

i see that comcast added itself to the xbox but not in the roku section of hbo go. Are they planning on updating this with hbo anytime soon?   Need to play catchup with the other cable providerss

New Poster

I just tried to get HBOGO Channel and my Roku with my Xfinity HBO Subscription and it does not appear to be available for Xfinity Subscribers.  What gives??

New Poster

There appears to be more content available on HBOGO than On-Demand.

Contributor

NO HBO GO ON ROKU

Why does Comcast not allow HBOGO on Roku?  It allows it on mobile devices and iPads - so why not on the Roku streaming player.  Virtually every other provider allows HBOGO.  Ridiculous.  Does anyone know if and when it will be available?  Thank you.

Highlighted
Contributor

Why no HBOGO on Roku

I posted this yesterday but it has mysteriously disappeared!! I'm just wondering if anyone knows if and when Comcast will allow HBOGO on Roku.  They allow it on mobile devices, iPads., etc so I don't understand why they won't allow it to stream on Roku.  Thanks for any info.

New Poster

Re: Why no HBOGO on Roku

Yes, I would like to know the same thing! Why no ROKU. I see XBox is a choice for set up on HBO GO with Xfinity, but no ROKU! Not very competitive of Comcast!

Gold Problem Solver

truthseeker719 wrote: I posted this yesterday but it has mysteriously disappeared!! ...

It got moved to http://forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-Website/ROKU-HBO-GO/m-p/1720907#M24974

truthseeker719 wrote: ... I'm just wondering if anyone knows if and when Comcast will allow HBOGO on Roku.  ...

Employee ComcastTeds wrote in http://forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-and-Equipment/Rant-on-a-few-topics/m-p/1718385#M76213 :

"HBO Go availability on Roku and Samsung TVs are business decisions and deal with business terms that have not yet been agreed to between the parties."

I would guess that means HBO wants more money and Comcast doesn't want to pay.

New Poster

I would like to watch on my Kindle Fire

Regular Contributor

That's a negative sir! HBO dies not want money. The hbogo app is already included. No more fees to comcast or subscribers. It's about limiting access do customers have to rent boxes. Funny comcast has no issue presenting Samsung TVs in all if their ads but don't actually support using the TVs.
Regular Contributor

@ed_dennis wrote:

I would like to watch on my Kindle Fire

As far as I can tell, you can. Xfinity is a provider option for login in the HBOgo app. 

New Poster

I am screwed as well.

HBOGO from my laptop works, and that has an HDMI port, but the clarity is poor and it's a pain.  I figured I'd buy a new Roku for 1080p.... well, it is not supported with Comcast.  Showtime works no problem, but HBOgo is a noGo.

How could a company this large, be this bad and inept.

And why does it take so long for FIOS to get to my house.

New Poster

Dear Xfinity or Comcast:

I'm a long-time customer & requesting that HBOGo be made available for the Roku 3 device.

THANKS! 

Frequent Visitor

So Apple TV is getting the HBO Go app and according to an earlier interview, the app will work on Comcast.

I think we deserve an explaination.

New Poster

It seems the way they get around this is by using Apple's Airplay.  The Apple TV device may not work on comcast by itself, but if you use IOS via iPad or iPhone or MAC, you can use their Airplay app to relay the stream to the Apple TV device.  So, you stream it to iPad, which streams to Apple TV, which sends it to your TV...  I guess it works, but still a pain!

http://www.macworld.com/article/2042405/hbo-go-watchespn-come-to-apple-tv.html

Frequent Visitor

Naw, the Apple TV HBO app on Apple TV works on Comcast directly, no Airplay, iPad or iPhone necessary. Airplay was the old way of doing it.

The app was just released today.

Contributor

And, I can confirm that HBOgo is indeed supported on the new software update for Apple TV. I just activated it and it works. Now, there really is no reason not to add Roku support ... HBOgo direct to TV for Comcast subscribers is now available via xbox and Apple TV. Why not Roku as well?? Hmm.

New Poster

I agree with all the statements...bring on the Roku compatibility.  However I think I know why Comcast is not doing it. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

They know you could have a roku in several rooms and watch HBO without your paying them their god awful rental fees for a %&$^ing box. 

Not applicable

Comcast/Xfinity should take heed...

Consumers are not powerless. The more BS they make us endure, like withholding streaming on ROKU devices, the more angry we become.

It may take a year or ten years, but eventually either leadership will wisen and become more consumer-oriented or consumer will force the change or the company will die a slow death.

Something needs to happen immediately, regardless of ROKU. Customer service, for both consumer & business lines, is quickly becoming as bad as Verizon...a company which would have to pay me to use their services.

New Poster

HBO GO provides access to full series, such as all Sopranos, The Wire, True Blood, etc. All of their original series programming - complete series to date - is available to view on this app and not OnDemand. This is why I want to access it via Roku on my tv, at least.

New Poster

HBO GO access on ROKU

It's now 1.5 years after Roku added the HBO Go app to their device and STILL Comcast has chosen not to give access to their HBO subscribers (yet they will on Apple TV). Comcast, PLEASE extend access to a product I'm already PAYING for but can only access on my tablet. I want to watch back seasons of past HBO shows on my tv.

New Poster

ALRIGHT NOT ALLOWING HBOGO ON MY ROKU THAT I PAID FOR IS AN OUTRAGE. I PAY FOR THE INTERNET SERVICE WHY CAN I NOT STREAM THE CONTENT I WANT TO STREAM. YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO BLOCK IT. GOOD BYE COMCAST IM SWITCHING TO VERIZON FIOS.

NOT GONNA WASTE MY TIME CALLING SUPPORT AND ASKING TO FOR THEM TO  ALLOW ACCESS TO SOMETHING SO SIMPLE

GOOD LUCK COMCAST AT THIS RATE YOU WONT BE AROUND IN 10 YEARS.

New Poster

Re: Roku and Xfinity

Comcast....what a piece of sh*t you are.  Seriously.  Around every turn, in every nook, there you are, steaming and fermenting like the sh*t you are.  How is it that you don't offer HBOGO on a Roku?  Really?  What is the brilliant strategy behinds this.  I just bought a Roku with the SOLE INTENT on watching HBOGO on my kickass 65" plasma.  Why would this even be a problem?  Who would think that you didn't offer it?  The only reason I have you as a provider is because I must.  I want to move just to get someone else and flip you sh*tbags the finger.  Unbelievable...looks like I'll be reutrning the Roku for an AppleTV...

New Poster

roku is in hd...my cable box player is not...wiseass

Frequent Visitor

Just signed up as a new Aereo customer today in the Atlanta area.  That is the new service that allows OTA broadcasted channels to stream live across the web and they support the Roku3 device I have.  So I now have "live" TV with no dependency on Comcast directly to my Roku3 device.  Not HD (I don't think - still experimenting) but very good quality none-the-less - much better than an SD cable signal.  I am a beta user and this technology is still a bit immature I can tell (experiencing some buffering today) but very impressed - $8/month but a free 3 month trial which is appropriate for a new technology like this.  Will be nice come football season to watch the local NFL games which are typically broadcast on the major network channels.  Will report back what I learn over the next few days. 

PS: Wish everyone on this forum could stick to helpful info and away from the emotional nonsense.

New Poster

The reason Comcast will not allow HBO GO on the roku is two-fold.

1 - Roku is a threat in that it helps eliminate the need for extra boxes, each worth $120 p/yr to Comcast. Despite already gouging you for what you have, they simply want more. A direct connect for HD programming (3.1, 6.1, etc) is already free, but add the Roku with Hulu, Netflix, ESPN, and HBO GO, and do you really need another box? Probably not.

2 - Apple TV does authenticate HBO and ESPN via Comcast. If you think for 1 second that there isn't back alley stuff going on between Apple and Comcast to help keep as much content off Roku/Tivo/LG/Samsung/etc, then I have a really nice bridge for you available at a great price! Why Apple but nothing else? Do the math.

Regular Contributor

And the quick easy cheaper solution is uverse and Dish
Frequent Visitor

I had Time Warner Cable in Missouri and they had HBO Go available on Roku, as well as live streaming TV access via computer, iPad etc!!
New Poster

Well if that is true why is it that this week Apple tv now works with HBOGO. If the interface on Roku is similar I would preffer it over the cable box.  On App it is a much easier simpler interface. I even get a better picture even with my Comcast HD box.

So yes we would like to see HBOGO on the Roku just like on Apple TV.

Love choices.

New Poster

Wrong inface is different, easier and even better picture. We pay for Comcast and we Pay for HBO so why restrict the app on Roku. It is now active and working on Apple TV and it is nice. But I have aRoku in my bedroom so I would like the app to work with Comcast. Why approve on some like apple and not Roku. I know of 3 people that signed up to HBO this week because app avilable on apple tv just think how many more would sign up if it was available on Roku as well.

It a sound business decission.

New Poster

I would like to have HBO Go on Roku work with Comcast as well. I got myself a roku mainly because it has an HBO Go app and didn't even know that it wouldn't work with Comcast. I was pretty surprised when trying to activate HBO Go on Roku to see that Comcast was not supported.

I refuse to get an Apple TV just to watch HBO Go.  Right now, I am using an old mac mini hooked up to my TV to watch HBO Go. Roku and Apple TV are in the same device category, there is no reason why Comcast shouldn't work on Roku. If there is one I would like to know it.

Frequent Visitor

I had a problem with the Sony (Google tv) player.  It kept "rewinding," though only for about 30 seconds, then continued forward — 3 or 4 times in a hour show.

I had problems with the new ASUS Cube.  If played HBOgo for several days, then would no long do so.  It also has a ridiculously over-sensitive remote, almost impossible to use unless I put in on a hardcover book base to steady it.  ASUS support says the HBOgo problem will be fixed with a firmware update in mid-July, but firmware updates often do not come out when promised.

So, this afternoon I bought and set-up an Apple TV, downloaded the update that includes HBOgo, activated the unit, and found that it plays perfectly (so far) in full HDTV resolution.

New Poster

HBOGo on Roku 3

I am a subsciber to HBO and I recently bought a roku 3.  It has an HBO Go app on it.  But I can't use it because comcast has not authorized it.  That is rediculous.  I can watch HBO Go on my cell phone connected to my TV but not on a Roku box that is connected to a TV.  Why?  Please support this.

Tags (3)
New Poster

I have Roku and I have HBOGo on my Roku. I use a media server call PlayOn that uses your computer as a the media server. PlayOn on Roku connects to the computer and goes to the HBOGo website to process the video to your Roku.  PlayOn charges $20.00 a year and HBOGo works perfectly. You just have to make sure that your internet is at least 3mb/sec and you have at least an wireless n network.

New Poster

Roku support for HBOGO

Currently Comcast Xfinity does not support HBOGO through the ROKU device. Why is this and when does Comcast plan to offer this service?

tockie

Frequent Visitor

I don't see what Comcast is afraid of. I mean, to have HBO GO on Roku, you HAVE to subscribe to HBO through your cable company. If you look at the Roku site, every other major ISP is giving the green light HBO GO...I'm talking Time-Warner & AT&T. 

Anyone wondering why HBO GO is better than just watching it on demand is that you have access to every season to every series. Great for catching up, of finding shows that were on before you were a subscriber. 

Why does Comcast have to be so annoying? 

Contributor

@bobguy421 wrote:

I have Roku and I have HBOGo on my Roku. I use a media server call PlayOn that uses your computer as a the media server. PlayOn on Roku connects to the computer and goes to the HBOGo website to process the video to your Roku.  PlayOn charges $20.00 a year and HBOGo works perfectly. You just have to make sure that your internet is at least 3mb/sec and you have at least an wireless n network.

I believe it is not HD though.

Frequent Visitor

I do the same given teh Comcast limitation of not supporting HBOGo - I use the Playon app successfully with my Roku3 device.  Question, as of tonight I just started getting an error code of D-1006 when trying to watch HBOGo.  I can watch HBOGo successfully from my PC browser so I  know there isn't anything wrong with my account or subscription.  Has anyone every got this error code?

Frequent Visitor

It's an issue with Playon - they are working on it. What a pain..

Regular Contributor

I just think Comcast is afraid of loosing control of add insertion. Comcast makes oodles of money inserting adds..

I used to work for them. Someone said to me they wanted to put netflix out of business. I told them it would never happen. I was asked why. I said it was because Netflix is convenient. I have netflix on my phone laptop Smart TV Windows media Center Ipad Android device ect ect ect. I said when will comcast get rid of the cable box and go software/app based content distrobution? He just looked at me befuddled.

I think eventualy TV production houses will eventually offer up the first few episodes free to get people hooked and charge per episode after that or allow you to buy a season pass to the shows you like with no adds at all.

Then theres Hulu they should change to 100% free but be add based. Then we could really cut the cord.

New Poster

Xfinity, I am yet another customer asking you to support HBO Go on Roku.  Cmon now, let's get her done.

Regular Contributor

@bobguy421 wrote:

The point is that those of us in the forum ALREADY have a Roku, and either are (or were) paying Comcast for an HBO subscription. Why should a customer have to use a work around, buy different equipment, or pay yet another subscription fee?

New Poster

Has comcast responded in any way regarding Roku/HBO Go? Please link if so, if not... it's quite suspect...

Regular Visitor

Comast i pay HBO and i have Roku to Activate  you guys are not in the list like at&t,Dish and many more Why you are not If you you have the best tv Please add HBO to Roku from you!!!!

Regular Visitor

Comast i pay HBO and i have Roku to Activate  you guys are not in the list like at&t,Dish and many more Why you are not If you you have the best tv Please add HBO to Rooku from you!!!!

New Poster

Dear Comcast,

Please please please please please make it possible to stream HBO Go to my Roku.  It's not right that the Apple tv was just added and it's already compatible with Xfinity!  What is the problem?????  Xfinity is also a 'television provider' for xbox 360. 

Will Xfinity ever be a 'television provider' that is compatible with HBO Go for Roku?  Is there any plan to make this happen?  How long is it going to take?

New Poster

Today, I CANCELLED my Comcast Xfinity service. And for just one reason- because I can't access HBO GO on my ROKU. I was excited to have HBO GO, even though it meant paying $100 a month for my bundle.  Accessing HBO GO on my ROKU was the only reason I signed up in the first place; I didn't know it wasn't supported.

Comcast- you're losing business because of your stance on ROKU!!!