Community Forum

ROKU, HBO GO

New Poster

Support the ROKU. There is no excuse no to.

How much is Microsoft paying Comcast not to support it?  There is no logical reason no to.

Problem Solver

Re: Support the ROKU. There is no excuse no to.

Seems like there's an ongoing thread about this kind of thing at http://forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-Website/ROKU-HBO-GO/m-p/1098861 already.

Frequent Visitor

Re: ROKU, HBO GO

Hi guys - I just discovered a great way to get HBOGO working on my new Roku3 device.  I had the same problems everyone else here mentioned regarding Comcast not supporting HBOGO on the Roku.  However, I signed up for an application called PlayOn - very easy to do and I now get all the ESPN channels (ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU and ESPN3) and HBOGO which I could not get prior to getting the PlayOn app.  All HD quality too. 

New Poster

I dont see a channel named PlayOn.  Do you mean Playto?

Regular Visitor

It's at http://www.playon.tv and it costs $25/year.

Regular Visitor

That's where we are now.

Regular Contributor

Yes, Playon is a great alternitive, you can also use it for Free Hulu viewing on Roku. The main issue is that currently it is only standard def, no High Def like we would get if "you know who:" would get their "you know what" out of their "you know what" and let us authorize our Roku's

Frequent Visitor

Correct - I've only had Playon for one day so I'm no expert but this is from their website:

PlayOn streams 480P video. Most of the content available online is only available in 480x720 (SDTV 16:9 widescreen) or 480x704 (SDTV 4:3). CBS, CNN, and similar websites only offer 480x720 as the maximum resolution for their video streams. We hope more websites will offer higher quality videos as video streaming continues to catch-on

Relative to cost, as a Roku user you have the option of paying a one-time $39 lifetime fee which was a "no brainer" for me after playing around with it using their free trail.  The quality of the definition looks pretty darn good though on my TV - much better than SD from my cable provider (not sure why that is exactly but definitely the case). 

Regular Contributor

Yes PlayOn Totally kicks boddy, but a good deal of the web is in at least 720p now a days. PlayOn does allow YouTube, Hulu Free, HBOGO, TNT and others that require provider verification that you can not get on Roku alone. I have been a life time subscriptioner since it was $80 at half its even a better deal.

At my son's birthday party I was talking with my wife's cousin who is very frugal and he was talking about how he can use his Xbox360 for all this and why do I care. Told him first I do not have a 360 and even if I did for what it cost him to run his 360 for a hour I can run my Roku all month.

New Poster

Re: HBO NO Go?

One because the interface is better and two because not everything is available on my comcast receiver.

If you really want to know Comcast cable boxes are dinosaurs compared to Roku. I got rid of my direct tv 5 years ago and have been using Roku exclusively for TV. Recently I signed up for Comcast and have been extremely dissappointed. 

New Poster

Want to read something funny - here is a letter from Senior VP of Customer Experience, Tom Karinshak:

www.comcast.com/Corporate/Customers/TomKCustCare.html

"The Best Customer Experience, that’s what we strive for every day. As a company, our job is to make sure every interaction you have with us is a special one. We know your time is important. We know you want answers to your questions quickly and you want issues resolved the first time. We heard you. We are listening. And it’s all about you"

lol

New Poster

Re: ROKU, HBO (NOGO)

COMCAST!!

Please allow HBO GO to be streamed through either PS3, ROKU or both.  I am due to rebundle in September.  If comcast doesn't allow Roku subscriptions by then I'll probably be a Verizon customer come Fall.  

There is no good reason why a community as large as Philadelphia (HOME OF YOUR COMPANY) and the surrounding suburban areas should not have access to this service.   

New Poster

Comcast has the worst customer service I've ever experienced: everything from their astonishingly awful automation system, to the insanely high prices, to the fact that we, the consumer, don't actually get that much for those insanely high prices, including, but not limited to the decision not to allow HBOGO on Roku.  It's not even an oversight, it's a decision.  Comcast truly has no care for their customers.  Maybe we're not paying them enough.

New Poster

Re: Roku Users Ask For Xfinity Channel

let's see, what dose the "go" stand for?  Oh ya, I want to watch HBO when I'm not at home next to my cable box.

New Poster

Let's see, no. It allows you to watch every hbo show ever made that isnt offered on demand while your sitting next to your cable box. Learn your tech.

Regular Contributor

@DoniJansen wrote:
Let's see, no. It allows you to watch every hbo show ever made that isnt offered on demand while your sitting next to your cable box. Learn your tech or keep your ignorant mouth shut. Douche.

Yeah the thing is even if comcast didnt allow HBO-GO but the offering they did have had everything HBO-go had in it noone would be complaining.

Regular Contributor

Not true I would still be complaining.

New Poster

Roku and HBOgo

Does anyone know how I can get HBOgo on my Roku?  I have HBO through Xfinity, but Xfinity is not one of the listed providers for HBOgo on the Roku player.  It appears to be a provider for Xbox but not Roku.  Why is that???

New Poster

Re: Roku and HBOgo

Just got off the phone with comcast.  It took me three phone calls and 27 minutes to be told by Comcast's "HBOGO Department" that Comcast does not support HBOGO on either Roku or Samsung smart tvs.  pretty lame all the way around.

New Poster

Can't believe this xfinity hbo go doesn't work on the roku, but my brother who has cable Warner gets hbo go on his roku.  I guess xfinity is trying to find someway to make more money.

Can't wait when Verizon Fios comes into my area.  When xfinity checks how much I pay for there services they'll understand why I am up set.

New Poster

I wish there was a good cable alternative in my area.  The should-be-illegal monopoly deal they negotiated with Time Warner to carve up the country into territories is absolutely unconscionable.

unconscionable
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

As a longtime Comcast customer I got the same news the same way.  However, last weekend I was able to successfully watch HBOGO on my new Roku3 device with no problem.  As mentioned earlier in this string you need to buy an app called "Playon" - I spent $39 for a lifetime subscription with them and have no regrets as it brings a ton more "channels" to the Roku3 device.  I've used it for over a week now and love it.  True the quality is not true HD but the picture quality on the TV I am using (a new 37" LCD) is very good - much better than the SD picture I get from straight cable via Comcast - and I'm a bit picky with picture quality.  I can't explain all the technical reasons for the sharp picture via Roku/Playon but it works and was inexpensive for what you get.  Some day I assume content providers like HBO will open up their service to individual subscriptions like Netflix, etc... but until then we're straddled with requiring a cable TV (or other) subscription to view their content.  The younger generation will change this dynamic as many of them (I'm 50) just won't sign up for a cable provider from the get-go...the whole industry is in a state of flux as I see it...and it will only get better as the Internet will change this industry like it has others already...

Regular Contributor

@vpralston wrote:

Does anyone know how I can get HBOgo on my Roku? 

Yep, switch to Dish.

Regular Contributor

@randerto wrote:

As a longtime Comcast customer I got the same news the same way.  However, last weekend I was able to successfully watch HBOGO on my new Roku3 device with no problem.  As mentioned earlier in this string you need to buy an app called "Playon" - I spent $39 for a lifetime subscription with them and have no regrets as it brings a ton more "channels" to the Roku3 device.  I've used it for over a week now and love it.  True the quality is not true HD but the picture quality on the TV I am using (a new 37" LCD) is very good - much better than the SD picture I get from straight cable via Comcast - and I'm a bit picky with picture quality.  I can't explain all the technical reasons for the sharp picture via Roku/Playon but it works and was inexpensive for what you get.  Some day I assume content providers like HBO will open up their service to individual subscriptions like Netflix, etc... but until then we're straddled with requiring a cable TV (or other) subscription to view their content.  The younger generation will change this dynamic as many of them (I'm 50) just won't sign up for a cable provider from the get-go...the whole industry is in a state of flux as I see it...and it will only get better as the Internet will change this industry like it has others already...

Playon still requires the use of the PC to stream=and therefore, loss of ability to actually "use" the PC while watching television. When I want to stream videos stored on the hard drive from the laptop, I use PLEX-which is free.

Regular Contributor

@C_DM wrote:

Seems like there's an ongoing thread about this kind of thing at http://forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-Website/ROKU-HBO-GO/m-p/1098861 already.

Ummm...not to be picky, but that link is this thread. Smiley Happy

Contributor

@DMilnerJax wrote:

@randerto wrote:

Playon still requires the use of the PC to stream=and therefore, loss of ability to actually "use" the PC while watching television. When I want to stream videos stored on the hard drive from the laptop, I use PLEX-which is free.

If Playon requires the use of a PC to stream, why not just load HBOGo on your laptop and connect it to your TV?

Frequent Visitor

Maz wrote:  If Playon requires the use of a PC to stream, why not just load HBOGo on your laptop and connect it to your TV?

I tried that.  Comcast somehow blocked it.  I connected my ASUS TF300 Android tablet to my TV using a HDMI cable.  No luck.

However, I have been able to watch HBOgo on my TV using the new ASUS Cube.  That works OK, despite the Cube remote (gag!)

Frequent Visitor

The best way to get HBO Go on Roku is to switch your TV service to Dish when your Comcast contract expires. Menu and search from this century, more channels, interface with Roku for other channels, and cheaper even after your intro package ends, even when I kept internet thru Comcast - (Comcast was over $200 for internet and TV with HBO and Showtime, even minus phone - the combo of keeping Comcast internet at $47 plus Dish with all channels at after intro at$147 still less - and that includes a Joey in the bedroom and the ability to record all primetime shows (not on my memory) plus 3 at a time - and add time to the recordings, they will record new shows if there is a conflict at a later time, let you search all channels for on demand by rating, genre, if it's free, let you view guide by only channels you want to view - yada yada - comcast is so behind and overpriced, I should have done this a year ago! Thank You Comcast for not allowing HBO Go, because I would have never checked the competition if you weren't so stubborn. LOVE my Hopper! It jumps commercials on some recordings - it's as if I'm the customer, and they want to please me!

Contributor

@NotAllThatBrite wrote:

Maz wrote:  If Playon requires the use of a PC to stream, why not just load HBOGo on your laptop and connect it to your TV?

I tried that.  Comcast somehow blocked it.  I connected my ASUS TF300 Android tablet to my TV using a HDMI cable.  No luck.

However, I have been able to watch HBOgo on my TV using the new ASUS Cube.  That works OK, despite the Cube remote (gag!)

Try it again.  I have no problem whatsoever.  HBGGo works fine on my laptop which luckily has an HDMI-out so I can watch it in HD.

Regular Contributor

@NotAllThatBrite wrote:

That may be an issue with your tablet, I used to use an HDMI connection from my laptop to the tv before I switched back to Dish.

New Poster

i too would like to see a channel added to roku for an xfinity chanel. also why are you not listed on hbogo as a cable provider?

New Poster

I also have a Roku, and like you, I love it!  Being an HBO subscriber, I just took for granted that I could get hbo go on my Roku.  I contacted Comcast and was told they were working on it.  That's all I got!  Maybe if we complain in numbers, they'll be forced to do something.  I was told once that there is an extention for Comcast customers that are unsatisfied.  This extention's only job is make customers happy.  If anyone knows the extention number, I would love to have it.  Maybe in the near future Comcast will start listening to the customer's wishes and finally support Roku.

New Poster

I was also dissapointed when I couldn't get HBO go on my Roku!  Maybe if we complain in numbers we'll get somewhere.  Roku lovers start calling Comcast!!  If your an HBO subscriber you should be able to stream HBO GO on your Roku.  Comcast told me they were working on it.  Start calling and let Comcast know what you expect.  You are a paying customer, it's your right!!!

Frequent Visitor

DMilnerJax,

At your suggestion, I rechecked the hdmi cable connection between my TF300 tablet and the tv.  However, this time as a precaution, I disconnected the main hdmi cable that connects the tv and Comcast set-top box.  

The tablet was able to stream HBOgo to the tv with no problem, although the stream was confined to the tablet's resolution — in other words: big black borders!  There was also an occasional, momentary hiccup in the stream, presumably due to the tablet's wireless connection, despite using a SBG6580 modem and WNDR4500 router.

With the ASUS Cube on wired LAN, no hiccups at all and full 1080p resolution.

Frequent Visitor

I moved to an area that has Comcast and am very disappointed that I cannot get HBO Go via my Roku Smiley Sad. While I still feel this should be fixed by Comcast, I did find a solution. I use it on my iPad and then stream via Apple TV. Not the most ideal but it does work and keeps my laptop free.
Frequent Visitor

Also, I can still use my iPad while streaming, if I wish.
New Poster

Wifi connectivity w/o cable connection; easy menu; cable boxes are dinosaurs without the prospect of future oil
Frequent Visitor

Hi Rog286713,

I can't speak for others, but for me I have a Tivo Series 3 HD, and a roku on the same television. I don't get ANY on-demand content from Comcast. So I use a product called PlayON. It's a bit of a hassle because PlayON requires my PC be on to use it on my Roku. I'd much rather just be able to get to HBOGO via the Roku like Version FIOS subscribers do.

Hope this clarifies the need?

Contributor

@vpralston wrote:

Does anyone know how I can get HBOgo on my Roku?  I have HBO through Xfinity, but Xfinity is not one of the listed providers for HBOgo on the Roku player.  It appears to be a provider for Xbox but not Roku.  Why is that???

really?

Regular Contributor

Do yourself a huge favor. If there is any chance of ditching comcast and going with anyone other than them, do it! I changed to uverse 3 months ago and have zero issues. Twice the stuff at half the price, plus hbogo on roku. Drop comcast like a hot potato!
New Poster

HBOGo not available on the Roku if your an Xfinity customer is only 1 thing that is not up to par for their service.

I would still complain, because if they offered everything on HBOGo through their own on-demand it would completely suck, because you have to watch on-demand through your cable box, PC or X-box.

Have you actually tried to take advantage of Xfinity's slogan- 'Any Screen, Anytime, Any Where' using the Xfinity TV Player app for mobile devices?  It's a ruse to lure in customers.   It's total BS!!!!!

Let's start with "Anywhere"  You have your iPad or favorite tablet connected using 4G cellular, guess what?  You aren't watching anything, because the app requires that you are connected wifi.  I guess Xfinity thinks wifi is everywhere.  Even their Xfinity WiFi hotspots they promote don't exist.  That CableWiFi project(http://www.cablewifi.com/)..what a joke if your an Xfinity customer.  You can't sign-in to the partner hotspots. 

To get around the WiFi requirement you'll need a 4G mifi hotspot.  Connect your mobile device to your mifi wireless and you are now connected "wifi". But why should I have to pay for another device on my wireless account.

Here's why being able to connect over 4G cellular is important... Our family likes to travel, hotel wifi can suck so bad that your connection is about as good as a 56k modem, in other words useless.  Connect over cellular and problem solved. Traveling by car or RV with the family... wanna watch something, not happening without a mifi.

Anyscreen -- Same scenario, traveling in your RV or car and want to watch something, sure as long as someone holds the iPad so everyone can see.  If you want to connect your mobile device into your vehicle's video system, good luck.

You get this total BS message--"We're sorry.  Because of security protocols specified by our Network partners, you can enjoy this great video on your mobile device only."  Comcast must negotiate the sh**tiest contracts ever with their Network providers.

Anytime-- so long as those times are when reliable wifi is available and you can be in a comfortable position to watch it on the mobile device's screen.

Amazing that comcast builds all these restrictions in yet other providers are incorporating Slingbox for mobile availibility for live  and VOD programming.  Time Warner offers a free channel on the Roku that turns it into a full HD cablebox.  The channel only works when connected to a cable modem on your TWC account, but that beats $8/month for each additional cablebox.

HBOGo mobile app is just that, a truly mobile app.  It works on your phone or tablet.  It works if you're connected WiFi or through cellular 4G.  Want to connect your mobile device into your vehicle's video system or to an external display, go for it.  Whether the device outputs through Apple TV, HDMI, component, or composite it works.

Thank you HBO for a great app that keeps your content separate from Comcast/Xfinity's incompentent mobile app.

Regular Contributor

Some of us do not have a choice do to HOA contracts or other such group agreements.
Regular Contributor

Hbogo is not just a mobile app it is a streaming app. It is a website on pcs and laptops. It is on roku, Xbox and samsung smart TVs The app is blocked for comcast customers on roku and samsung TV. It is also blocked on android tablets if u try to connect it with hdmi to a TV.
New Poster

When will Comcast support HBO GO on the Roku 3 player?

Am very disappointed to learn today that COMCAST/Infinity does not support HBO GO on the Roku 3 streaming player.

What's funny about this is COMCAST's current slogan is "entertainment anytime, anywhere, any screen".  

Yeah, Right.

Not supporting one of the leading streaming boxes in the industry would be laughable if it didn't make watching  HBO GO on my 60" TV (Hi Def 1080p, Dolby 5.1 Surround) nearly impossible (and thats assuming you take time to research, figure-out, and install one of those poorly designed, deficient, disappointing gerry-rigged workaround apps available on the Roku.

Trying to watch HBO GO on a large format, Hi-Def TV with Surround is an experience ranging from merely inconvenient to unwatchable to just plain impossible.

How far behind does COMCAST lag behind the rest of cable industry on this isue?

ALL of the folowing cable companies support HBO GO on Roku 3:   

Astound, AT&T U-Verse TV, Atlantic Broadband, BendBroadband, Blue Ridge Communications, Bright House, Buckeye CableSystem, Cable ONE, CenturyLink Prism, Charter, Cox, DISH, EPB Fiber Optics, GCI, Grande Communications, GVTC Communications, Hawaiian Telcom, Home Telecom, Home Town Cable Plus, Hotwire Communications, HTC Digital Cable, LUS Fiber, Insight Communications, Massillon Cable/CPI, Mediacom, MetroCast, Midcontinent Communications, Nex-Tech, Openband Multimedia, Optimum, RCN, Service Electric Broadband, Service Electric Cable TV, Service Electric Cablevision, Suddenlink, Time Warner Cable, Verizon FiOS, Wave Broadband and WOW! 

All those cable companies support HBO GO on Roku but not COMCAST.  

Until there is a critical mass of customers impacting their profitablity or reputation, I suspect COMCAST will continue to lag behind the industry standards/expectations on this issue

_______

... and don't get me started about bringing a COMCAST supported HBO GO app to the Apple TV !

<getting off soap-box>

Regular Contributor

@vincent228 wrote:
Do yourself a huge favor. If there is any chance of ditching comcast and going with anyone other than them, do it! I changed to uverse 3 months ago and have zero issues. Twice the stuff at half the price, plus hbogo on roku. Drop comcast like a hot potato!

Been there, done that, no hassles, half the cost, Dish rules for me.

Regular Contributor

Have you actually tried to take advantage of Xfinity's slogan- 'Any Screen, Anytime, Any Where' using the Xfinity TV Player app for mobile devices?  It's a ruse to lure in customers.   It's total BS!!!!!

I fell for that “any screen, any time” line last fall. Then I found out that it was not live on “any screen, anywhere” (as I had and have again with Dish). Interesting that they would not stream on demand or recorded content over 3G or 4G on the phone (not enough bandwidth supposedly) but would stream just fine by connecting my phone to my 3G MiFi device from Virgin Mobile. To stream live tv, you have to be AT HOME, and pay an extra 10 bucks a month for the “service.” With Dish, I can stream LIVE television and recorded content over my phone anywhere I can get a 3G connection. With an iPad, you can download recorded shows for later viewing off-line. I’m pretty sure, although I have not personally done it myself, that you can connect the tablet or phone to the TV, I know I can with the PC, that I have done.

Trying to watch ESPN live through the Comcast site was impossible, literally. The program would never stream.

Regular Contributor

@jhusosky wrote:
Some of us do not have a choice do to HOA contracts or other such group agreements.

Wrong. If you have a "private" roof, balcony, or yard (not common to other tenants or residents), under Federal law, you cannot be prohibited from having a sat dish for Direct or Dish television. I have posted the link earlier in this thread, but a simple google search will find the relevant website. Even an apartment dweller who has a private balcony that has the line of sight to the sat can have a dish.  In other words, if you are

1. in a townhome with the roof that covers your dwelling only in the vertical space (in other words, it can be connected to other townhomes but if you were standing on the room "looking straight down" you would only be over your living space)

2. Living in any private dwelling, incluiding houses in HOA or deed restricted communities

3. In any dwelling (apartment included) where you have a private space not shared by other tenants, i.e. a balcony

YOU CAN HAVE A SATELLITE DISH. 

Regular Contributor

@DMilnerJax wrote:

@jhusosky wrote:

Wrong. If you have a "private" roof, balcony, or yard (not common to other tenants or residents), under Federal law, you cannot be prohibited from having a sat dish for Direct or Dish television. I have posted the link earlier in this thread, but a simple google search will find the relevant website. Even an apartment dweller who has a private balcony that has the line of sight to the sat can have a dish.  In other words, if you are

1. in a townhome with the roof that covers your dwelling only in the vertical space (in other words, it can be connected to other townhomes but if you were standing on the room "looking straight down" you would only be over your living space)

2. Living in any private dwelling, incluiding houses in HOA or deed restricted communities

3. In any dwelling (apartment included) where you have a private space not shared by other tenants, i.e. a balcony

YOU CAN HAVE A SATELLITE DISH. 

You are correct tha I can have a Dish, which I do (the blue guys not the red ones like yours), but what you fail to understand is that I have no choice but to also take/pay for the Comcast package the HOA has. Newer HOAs our city has put in opt-out options but not for existing contracts. 

Contributor

Just to clarify, Hbo Go does now work via HDMI out on android phones and tablets. I'm still switching to Dish though.
New Poster

comcast whats to sell more boxes if you have a roku it has hd content 720 if you have comcast charges $10.00 each month for hd box hbo looks better on roku