Community Forum

ROKU, HBO GO

New Poster

Re: ROKU, HBO GO

No, it is not all available.  You don't understand the difference between HBO GO and HBO on demand.  On HBO GO every single episode of every single HBO series is available for viewing.  On the HBO on demand with Xfinity, really hardly any episodes of any series is available.  Just for instance, you can't see East bound and down on HBO on Demand.  Nor can you see any episode of Deadwood, the Sopranos, Oz, or most any other show on HBO on Demand.  However as stated before, you can with HBO GO.  It is absolutely ridiculous that Xfinity is not working with ROKU to make HBO GO available like most every other cable and satellite company is.  This should be corrected soon, or I may have to switch to a different company.  Shame on Comcast for this!

Regular Contributor

youarewrong wrote:

No, it is not all available.  You don't understand the difference between HBO GO and HBO on demand.  On HBO GO every single episode of every single HBO series is available for viewing.  On the HBO on demand with Xfinity, really hardly any episodes of any series is available.  Just for instance, you can't see East bound and down on HBO on Demand.  Nor can you see any episode of Deadwood, the Sopranos, Oz, or most any other show on HBO on Demand.  However as stated before, you can with HBO GO.  It is absolutely ridiculous that Xfinity is not working with ROKU to make HBO GO available like most every other cable and satellite company is.  This should be corrected soon, or I may have to switch to a different company.  Shame on Comcast for this!

At a minimum, if they are not going to allow the HBOgo on the Roku, provide all the programming on their on-demand service. I know that it is not HBO restricting the content, since my provider (not Comcast) has every episode of EVERY HBO series available in their onDemand listings on the television. Hubby and I are doing Band of Brothers in marathon next weekend.

Contributor

It makes no sense.  I can get HBO go through Comcast on my laptop, my Kindle, even my smartphone, but not on Roku.  What's up with that?

New Poster

Adding my voice to this, seems obsurd to allow PC, iPhone/i*, Xbox but not Roku... I've had Roku for years and it has worked great for other providers.

Contributor

As I mentioned awhile back, a few weeks ago I enjoyed taking all my Comcast setop boxes back to their service center with a big smile.  I've been using Dish now for the last two weeks and it's so much better then what they offered awhile back.  The guides are beautiful with 3 hours and 10 channels showing with network colored logos.  I have two Hopper DVR's that have 2TB drives and can use the built-in Sling device to stream any channel or recording to my Android tablet in amazing HD.  I had the Comcast Whole Home DVR service and it was terrible. You can't delete a recording unless you are on the main DVR.  With the DISH Hopper you can do any DVR function from any TV.  It's so much better and I have a 63 inch plasma and I can see the difference in picture quality to from what I had with cable.  Plus the Primetime Anytime is absolutely awesome as it skips through commercials automatically.  The fun part was enabling HBO GO and Epix on my Roku.  The one joker on here keeps saying that we should use Comcast HBO On Demand is a fool because there is no comparison to what you can get on HBO GO such as any episode of a series that HBO has offered in the last 10 years.  Try to watch the entire series of the Sopranos with On Demand, good luck! The Comcast On Demand menus drove me crazy!! The Roku interface is the best for HBO GO and so much better then you get on your PC or handheld device. I'm saving money with DISH too and I feel like a fool for not making the switch a long time ago.  If you are unhappy with Comcast, dump their TV service an go with Dish.  I did keep my internet with Comcast as the only option I have is Century Link which is terrible with 20MB down and less then 1 MB up.  I bet this post gets deleted by Comcast?

Regular Contributor

Man, the censors are very active now. Hey comcast mods. Instead of just deleting my posts how about answering your customers questions and complaints. u guys are awful., rude and negligent. Answer to your paying customers!! They have legit issues with you !!!! Comcast is the worst. Everyone needs to consider other providers. Dish and uverse are excellent alternatives
Frequent Visitor

Roku owner here, not happy about the lack HBO Go access. I have (one) HBO HD channel (CH 801) available on my TV, that is pretty sad. I do have Xfinity on demand (Tivo), but it is so hard to drill down and find something to watch in HD.  What's wrong Comcast, you don't own a chunk of Roku, so you won't  allow HBO programming on the device? I pay you $10 a month for HBO, why do you make it so difficult to watch it? Netflix is $8 a month and I can search for and watch >100,000 videos, now that is a good product! Wake up Comcast.

Regular Contributor

HBOGO i awesome, it has every season, every series, movie, great format, easy navigation, 3x fast forwarding unlike onDemand lousy fsar forwarding. I love HBOGO. too bad Comcast is preventing its paying customers from using it even though they pay for it.

If only people in the thread quit Comcast for Uverse or Dish, then they to could enjoy HBOGO on their Samsung SmartTV and Roku device. Really a pity.

Regular Contributor

Maz wrote:

It makes no sense.  I can get HBO go through Comcast on my laptop, my Kindle, even my smartphone, but not on Roku.  What's up with that?

Because through the laptop, Kindle and smartphone, you get a "limited" viewing experience that cannot truly substitute for the comfort of your own big screen television--at least not without some level of inconvenience. If it was convenient, Comcast is afraid that you will not rent a digital box for every television and use the Roku instead.

Regular Contributor

tw98056 wrote:

As I mentioned awhile back, a few weeks ago I enjoyed taking all my Comcast setop boxes back to their service center with a big smile.  I've been using Dish now for the last two weeks and it's so much better then what they offered awhile back. ...

I fully concur with Dish. Being able to stream live television ANYWHERE is very convenient at times--especially when at my son's and hubby wants to watch one of his games on regular network or other sports channel. The true full home DVR functionality is also extremely convenient, I can not only delete but pause and rewind live television and start recordings from any television in the house. Even better, I have now had the same boxes for months without having an equipment failure or having to replace one. That full programming available on Roku for the HBOGo?  Guess what, you don't even need to switch to Roku for it. Check out the Dish on Demand for HBO...EVERY episode for EVERY series is available on demand.

Contributor

Frequent Visitor

I've got news for them, I would not ever use one of there digital boxes, even if they gave it to me! I pay $175 a month to them for tripple play premium, they should allow me to watch HBO on anything I wish! Tivo is the only DVR thats worth using and I am willing to pay their fees.
Frequent Visitor

Re: The Roku is not alone

It seems that while so many are rightfully disappointed that HBO Go is not available on the Roku, they may be forgetting that it is not alone. Comcast is not discriminating against the Roku. It is discriminating against large screens. They do not want their customers to view HBO Go on a screen bigger than 10 inches unless it is connected to a computer. I am a beneficiary shareholder and I intend to fax every executive I can find about this issue.

Regular Contributor

Hey everyone! Just wanted to throw my last 2 cents in before they shut down my comcast account. I got uverse a little over a month now. No problems at all! Crystal clear picture on my 1080p tv "without even getting their hd package!," with every pay channel (including now I get hbogo), phone and internet. My 2nd bill. $124! Add $100 to that for what I was getting with less from comcast. Locked into the uverse price for 2 years. When I canceled, they told me "but uverse doesnt have on demand like comcast". I said thats it? Thats why i should pay an extra $100 a month for less? So i can watch a rerun of Frazier from 1998? (thats what netflix is for). And besides, uverse "does have on demand!" dont let comcast lie to you anymore. Dump them. Then at least the poor souls that have no other choice might get heard, when comcast has 100 customers left.
Regular Contributor

This is getting to be funny. I just posted "NETFLIX SUPER HD??" and they locked down the entire thread. I think I'm hitting a sore spot with them.

Problem Solver

wchillman wrote:

This is getting to be funny. I just posted "NETFLIX SUPER HD??" and they locked down the entire thread. I think I'm hitting a sore spot with them.

Perhaps it might be because this forum deals with the XfinityTV Website specifically (and Xfinity TV in general), wheras anything related to Netflix would really not be relevant to the Xfinity TV Website, or even the Xfinity TV service in general, and thus wouldn't really be a place for a discussion relating to that?

Regular Contributor

It is relevant but belongs in the Internet forum not TV forum. It is also relevant in that it shows once again Comcast not providing a service to customers that the competing ISPs provide. Another example of anti customer policies. Allowing SUPERHD is zero cost to comcast
Problem Solver

ATCDAV wrote:
It is relevant but belongs in the Internet forum not TV forum. It is also relevant in that it shows once again Comcast not providing a service to customers that the competing ISPs provide. Another example of anti customer policies. Allowing SUPERHD is zero cost to comcast

Oh, it likely is relevant, but at least not really in the TV related forums here, thus likely the whole thing with what might have happened to those threads.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

The original post (Netflix Super HD?) was started in January of 2013 by someone else and wasn’t locked until my post in April. I couldn’t find much buzz anywhere else on the Comcast site so I posted here. 

New Poster

I can't believe I can't access HBO with my Roku!!!  All the money I fork over to Comcast every month and I get 2nd rate HBO compared to Dish?!

New Poster

ROKU PLEASE

WIth the amount of money I pay Comcast every month I should not have limits on how I view my HBO to Go.  I mean really?  It worked fine when I had DIsh.  At my house we are seriously wondering why we ever switched to Comcast.  We thought it would be more convenient to have one bill for both internet and TV, but we didn't figure on second-rate service.  We're thinking of switching to Dish for TV and seeing if there isn't another option for Internet in our area now. 

Tags (1)
Silver Problem Solver

Re: ROKU PLEASE

you will get no comment from comcast here regarding that.  if you have an xbox 360 you can do it, I surmise they signed an exclusive agreement with them to only go there.  you can also see that none of the comcast apps work on roku or any smarttv nor does the hbogo app authenticate on any smarttv like samsung, I wonder why.

Regular Contributor

Muneraven wrote:

WIth the amount of money I pay Comcast every month I should not have limits on how I view my HBO to Go.  I mean really?  It worked fine when I had DIsh.  At my house we are seriously wondering why we ever switched to Comcast.  We thought it would be more convenient to have one bill for both internet and TV, but we didn't figure on second-rate service.  We're thinking of switching to Dish for TV and seeing if there isn't another option for Internet in our area now. 

I switched from Dish to Comcast for a total of 5 weeks last fall--and ran back to Dish as the catastrophic failures with Comcast continued to pile up. I picked up the Hopper service (2 Hoppers, 2 Joeys) when I subscribed to Dish, have more channels, live streaming on any device anywhere, truewhole home DVR service, and pay 1/2 what I paid to Comcast for less.  I do still have Comcast for internet though--currently the options for high speed are limited in my area. 

Regular Contributor

rog286713 wrote:

you will get no comment from comcast here regarding that.  if you have an xbox 360 you can do it, I surmise they signed an exclusive agreement with them to only go there.  you can also see that none of the comcast apps work on roku or any smarttv nor does the hbogo app authenticate on any smarttv like samsung, I wonder why.

Control and money. 

Frequent Visitor

The Xbox 360 does not have access. It is just like the Roku. When you attempt to activate you will not find Comcast in the list of providers so you can not authenticate. They have chosen not to allow HBO Go viewing on big screens unless you are willing to connect your PC to your TV

I sent an email to corporate, which generated a call from the local escalations department. The lady was nice but completely clueless about the situation. They decided to push the issue and have a tech support supervisor call me like that would be helpful. At first the guy tried to convince me that it would work on the Roku and 360 until I made it very clear I knew exactly what was talking about. Then I got the same line that another poster heard two years ago. It was all very insulting. I am seriously considering a provider switch.

Regular Contributor

If I could switch I would, in fact I would drop cable completely. I already get my tv from the blue guys but am forced to pay for basic SD cable by the HOA, I never use it. The only nice thing was that a while ago they tossed in HBO. I don't bother watching it in SD and would love to watch it in HD on roku. I checked into what it would
Cost to upgrade my SD basic and it was more then what I pay for sat a d not as nice

I would love to actually use what I pay for

Problem Solver

puregenius wrote:

The Xbox 360 does not have access. It is just like the Roku. When you attempt to activate you will not find Comcast in the list of providers so you can not authenticate. They have chosen not to allow HBO Go viewing on big screens unless you are willing to connect your PC to your TV

I sent an email to corporate, which generated a call from the local escalations department. The lady was nice but completely clueless about the situation. They decided to push the issue and have a tech support supervisor call me like that would be helpful. At first the guy tried to convince me that it would work on the Roku and 360 until I made it very clear I knew exactly what was talking about. Then I got the same line that another poster heard two years ago. It was all very insulting. I am seriously considering a provider switch.

Pretty sure it's been supported on the Xbox since about a year ago: http://www.theverge.com/2012/4/9/2937174/hbo-go-app-xbox-360-comcast-xfinity-availability

Frequent Visitor

I received my new ASUS Cube with Google TV yesterday and hooked it up today ... very simple install.

Guess what!  It streams HBOgo for this Comcast customer.

Guess what it does NOT do!  While it will connect to my NAS, it will NOT stream .iso files.  %&)#@(!

Regular Contributor

Does the xfinity app work on it ?
Regular Contributor

My kid has Xbox 360 and the hbogo works fir him. When I went to www.hbogo.com/activate comcast was listed for Xbox unless something very recently changed
Frequent Visitor

ATCDAV wrote:
Does the xfinity app work on it ?

I don't know.  I have not tried using the Cube remote as a replacement for the Comcast remote — and am probably not going to bother.

Regular Contributor

I meant does the xfinity app work on it
New Poster

If Comcast really wanted to bring an incentive to the table (especially in my area where digital service is very limited) they would create an App for Roku like Time Warner has -- 300 channels streaming -- but instead here the only thing offered is the digital starter -- with the phone company going fiber it would give comcast a huge push in the market

Regular Contributor

Comcast doesn't want to bring in incentives that you want. Comcast is not going to support Roku, probably ever. Comcast is coming out with a new X1 service. New box, new user interface and you can bet new price increases. This X1 has its own version of apps. Of course These aren't real apps they are comcast junk designed to look like apps. The comcast top management and product development really should be fired. There are so many products in the market that comcast could team up with and provide customers with the best service around. They would save tons of money using existing devices. Instead they waste millions designing a new cable box to keep you locked down and charge you ever increasing fees.

Imagine if comcast teamed up with roku and apple and those devices had the xfinity app and hbogo and other apps u only get thru your subscriber. Comcast would make so much money with zero development cost and they would own almost all the market. They think corroding their customers to rent additional boxes at $10 or more per month is the best business model for them.

Enjoy your comcast.
Regular Contributor

ATCDAV wrote:

Imagine if comcast teamed up with roku and apple and those devices had the xfinity app and hbogo and other apps u only get thru your subscriber. Comcast would make so much money with zero development cost and they would own almost all the market. They think corroding their customers to rent additional boxes at $10 or more per month is the best business model for them.

Enjoy your comcast.

TW has teamed with Roku for streaming their entire service. Although currently you have to be in their service area to get the service, I'm betting that within a few years, if the model works for them, anyone with a Roku would be able to subscribe to their cable service.  Comcast needs to pay attention.

Regular Contributor

This is what I have been waiting for. I think Comcast is run by idiots. I have said before, they could offer their xfinity app service with HBOGO as a stand alone streaming service and pretty much shut down the competition. They are not smart enough to do that, they are bent on equipment which means they have to pay people to install it and maintain it. Good for TW. , I bet FIOS and Uverse are close behind

New Poster

Comcast will go the way of Xerox once Google and other companies roll out better services. You either stay ahead if the curve, or you become obsolete.

Looks like Comcast is intent on keeping revenue today by promoting inferior services while forgoing future revenue potential and attracting market share. Let's face it, Comcast will never enable quality content on other platforms unless they get a giant royalty check despite adding no value. Antitrust much?
Frequent Visitor

C_DM wrote:

puregenius wrote:

Pretty sure it's been supported on the Xbox since about a year ago: http://www.theverge.com/2012/4/9/2937174/hbo-go-app-xbox-360-comcast-xfinity-availability

You are correct. When looking at the activation section I was looking for Comcast and not Xfinity. Thanks for the correction.

Regular Contributor

Attention Roku owners. Comcast is not going to open up access. ever!!!! They have decided to waste money putting out a new gimmick cable box called X1. It has fake looking "apps". Making it look like a streaming device. Another excuse to raise prices no doubt. Bail now if u want to use Roku or any device other than Xbox 360. PATHETIC!!!
New Poster

Roku/HBOgo

Why won't comcast support hbogo on the Roku??  All of my other area providers do.  I'm thinking about switching providers just because of this, we watch HBO all the time.

New Poster

That's not quite true. Comcast had no objection to their customers accessing hbo go via Xbox or Apple TV. Seems pretty clear its a roku specific policy and thereby discrimination.
Problem Solver

Cshspa wrote:
That's not quite true. Comcast had no objection to their customers accessing hbo go via Xbox or Apple TV. Seems pretty clear its a roku specific policy and thereby discrimination.

Or they simply haven't worked out an agreement with Roku (yet), for whatever reason.

Contributor

Actually, only the XBox is "officially" sanctioned by Comcast.  They can't do anything about Apple TV, PlayOn or the Asus cube because those devices simply send a mirror image of what is on your computer to your TV. 

Roku and Comcast don't have to agree to anything.  Comcast just has to permit Roku to authenticate HBO subscriptions to access HBO GO.  It's that simple.  However, Comcast has said on numerous occasions that it does not plan to offer HBO GO on Rokus.  I suspect that Comcast gets paid some amount from Microsoft for each customer who uses HBO GO on the XBox (and Microsoft charges a fee for using the XBox to access HBO GO).  Every other cable company offers it free.  I don't think any money is changing hands.  Roku makes its money selling Rokus.  The cable company offers HBO Go to HBO subscribers as part of their HBO subscription.  Unlike Comcast, they are not nickle and diming their customers to death.

Incidentally, Dish (which offers HBO GO to its customers and also has everything that is on HBO GO on demand as well) has come out with a new DVR that permits customers to download programs to iPads for later watching without being connected to the internet when you watch your program.

Problem Solver

Wellesley72 wrote:

Actually, only the XBox is "officially" sanctioned by Comcast.  They can't do anything about Apple TV, PlayOn or the Asus cube because those devices simply send a mirror image of what is on your computer to your TV. 

Roku and Comcast don't have to agree to anything.  Comcast just has to permit Roku to authenticate HBO subscriptions to access HBO GO.  It's that simple.  However, Comcast has said on numerous occasions that it does not plan to offer HBO GO on Rokus.  I suspect that Comcast gets paid some amount from Microsoft for each customer who uses HBO GO on the XBox (and Microsoft charges a fee for using the XBox to access HBO GO).  Every other cable company offers it free.  I don't think any money is changing hands.  Roku makes its money selling Rokus.  The cable company offers HBO Go to HBO subscribers as part of their HBO subscription.  Unlike Comcast, they are not nickle and diming their customers to death.

Incidentally, Dish (which offers HBO GO to its customers and also has everything that is on HBO GO on demand as well) has come out with a new DVR that permits customers to download programs to iPads for later watching without being connected to the internet when you watch your program.

Technically DISH and Slingbox are part of the same company which allowed them to essentially stick Slingbox technology into their box, which allows for live TV, DVR, and On Demand viewing remotely.  It's a great feature, but was something they were able to get mainly by buying a company that pretty much already had it developed.

In any case, this isn't really about that.  There are most definitely partner/content agreements in place when it comes to all of these things on any platforms.  Some might not think so, but they are definitely there.  For business reasons, technical reasons, or who knows what other reasons, not everything is the same everywhere for everyone.  That's not to say it's a good thing, but that's also not to say that it's some sort of a conspiracy necessarily.

It could be some simple thing where some agreements aren't worked out (yet) for one reason or another, or somethign else of that sort.  Or, it could very well be a business decision of one sort or another, but even then realistically every company is free to decide their own business partnerships.

Regular Contributor

Wellesley72 wrote:

And I am so waiting for them to make that available on Android tablets.

Regular Contributor

C_DM wrote:

In any case, this isn't really about that.  There are most definitely partner/content agreements in place when it comes to all of these things on any platforms.  Some might not think so, but they are definitely there.  For business reasons, technical reasons, or who knows what other reasons, not everything is the same everywhere for everyone.  That's not to say it's a good thing, but that's also not to say that it's some sort of a conspiracy necessarily.

It could be some simple thing where some agreements aren't worked out (yet) for one reason or another, or somethign else of that sort.  Or, it could very well be a business decision of one sort or another, but even then realistically every company is free to decide their own business partnerships.

No, not a conspiracy, but a deliberate decision by Comcast to not allow their subscribers to use HBOgo on Roku - we can only surmise the reason, but knowing Xfinity, it either has something to do with controlling the user environment--there would be some who would bypass a digital box on some sets and use Roku instead, although those folks will do it anyway, just without the HBOgo--or a monetary thing where a deal has been cut with their "partner" Microsoft to restrict it to Xbox. Obviously, they have a method to allow HBOgo to authenticate, the Xbox does. 

I think it is a control thing that has something to do with their future development plans. Shortly after I dropped them and moved back to Dish, I was asked to participate in a survey by them that had to do with how much would I be willing to pay for a cloud based DVR / on Demand service. I think they want to move to the cloud-which given the unreliability of their internet where I live...

New Poster

Comcast...no support for HBO GO on Roku?  I can't wait to switch to verizon!!!

Frequent Visitor

I just switched my tv to Dish (kept internet on Comcast). I feel like Dorothy when she walked out of her black and white house into Oz - the Dish menu is of this century! Even when my intro offer is up, the combo of Dish with all channels plus Comcast internet is still cheaper than the bundle I had with Comcast as an 'old' customer, even when I dropped the phone and had one DVR. Now I have 2 and can record 3 things at once plus all primetime shows (not stored on my harddrive) and can skip commercials automatically in many shows. I love Dish and wish I switched as soon as my contract with Kabletown expired! HBO GO on Roku? Yeah! Installation fees? Nope! First 3 mos with everything - $65 per month - after if I keep everything (all premium channels - $145) - this is still less plus Comcast internet than I was paying for the Comcast bundle (minus TMC) - $217. I am so happy to have an interface that seems worth th $. Escape Dorothy!

Regular Visitor

After talking to DISH,  I was all set to change.  The DISH installation technician came and couldn't get the satellite to get a signal through all the trees surrounding my house.   The deal was so good, I momentarily thought about knocking down a few trees [my wife vetoed that idea!].  Looks like I'm stuck with Comcast.

New Poster

That's my problem too. You must have a clear line of sight to the southeast horizon. It might be time to clear the woods a bit.