Community Forum

ROKU, HBO GO

Regular Contributor

Re: Roku Users Ask For Xfinity Channel

Does comcast support OUYA? Never heard of it, I have only seenComcast supporting xbox... good luck

Regular Contributor

still have my uverse. going on 2 weeks. LOVE IT !!! cheaper with a LOT LESS RESTRICTIONS. I hope you do have the opportunity to get it. you wont regret it. The hbogo access is a very nice add-on.

They cancelled the first time saying it was not available, A tech at my neighbors house says it is so we are trying again,  This is the frustrating part of Uverse, the distance limitation but those that have it are very happy

Regular Contributor

OUYA is an Android based games system so it is supported because Comcast supports android. Trouble is just reading today that with in the last month OUYA descided not to support the Google Play store so I will not be able to download the APP till someone comes out with a hack to access the Play Store.

Regular Visitor

Re: ROKU, HBO GO

Even though I know its pointless to complain when Comcast doesn't seem to care I just  wanted to add myself as thoroughly frustrated that HBO GO is not available through my Roku, one of the main reasons I got it. I wanted to access the massive amounts of content on HBO GO, specifically Flight of the Concords, I was all set to watch hours of hilarity then bam! Not available, even though I pay for it and there's really no good reason it shouldn't be. Feeling this powerless sucks! I don't want Dish! So I'm stuck with these anti-customer service people at Comcast! The horror!
I realize its TV we're talking about here and not something actually important so can't get too mad, just very, very disappointed.

Regular Contributor

@Stopher2475 wrote:
They only give one cable box. The other is a lo res digital adapter.

You can get additional boxes - you just have to pay the monthly fee for the additional receiver(s).

Regular Contributor

@jhusosky wrote:

OUYA Game consoles start shipping today and will support HBOGO, since it's android. It will be hooked up to the same TV as my ROKU or can be moved around to any other TV just like my ROKU. Just another reason why this ROKU ban is so silly.

Doesn't matter if the box works with HBOGo, it is whether Comcast supports it on the device/service you are using.

Contributor

There is an app (called "Extract APK's) that, well, extracts APK's.

Link:

GOOGLE PLAY

Contributor

The original poster was making the point, that since OUYA is Android-based, and since HBO GO is supported by Comcast on Android, that the OUYA should be able to play HBO GO for a Comcast subscriber, the exact same way that Comcast subscriber could watch HBO GO on their Android-based phone.

Regular Contributor

I am sure there is an ouya device in comcast possesion and they are devising a way to detect that device and disable HDMI output.

Regular Contributor

Exactly, also the sillyness of the Roku ban, as everyday another Android device comes out that can run HBOGO and is authorized because of the Android OS. I wonder if my Raspberry Pi will work?

Regular Contributor

@wsalopek wrote:

The original poster was making the point, that since OUYA is Android-based, and since HBO GO is supported by Comcast on Android, that the OUYA should be able to play HBO GO for a Comcast subscriber, the exact same way that Comcast subscriber could watch HBO GO on their Android-based phone.

He also said that since it doesn't support Google Play, unless there was a hack for the OUYA that he wouldn't be able to get the app.

Regular Contributor

Just because it is Android does not guarantee it will work. I have an Android tablet that plays HBOGO but if I try to play it through my TV it is blocked. Don't be surprised if your device does not work.
Regular Contributor

Exactly! I also have an android phone with playon and playto on it. I can finally stream youtube again, but hbogo does not work. You have to stop and ask yourself. The fact that you are on here for something you pay for. Does comcast deserve one more month of you money? Or will you accept begging?
Regular Contributor

@ATCDAV wrote:
Just because it is Android does not guarantee it will work. I have an Android tablet that plays HBOGO but if I try to play it through my TV it is blocked. Don't be surprised if your device does not work.

Yep.  BTW, that combination for internet and tv you were thinking about in your post that got deleted (oddly enough, at the exact time I was trying to respond to it last night)- it is working quite well for me. If you want to pm me for details on our setup here...

New Poster

@sandyandy wrote:

I have HBO GO on the computer and on my iPad.  I really want it on Roku, too.  Any chance of that???

If you are a TIme Warner Cable subscriber you can now stream all TMC content on the Roku.  If TMC can do it, why not Comcast?  I only have Comcast in my living room, but I have Rokus on the rest of my TV's.  It would be nice to be able to stream comcast on my Rokus just as TMC users now can.  I also do not understand why so many cable providers allow their subscribers to access HBO Go on their Rokus, but Comcast will not.  Very poor customer service Comcast!

Regular Contributor

@robfos33 wrote:

@sandyandy wrote:

I have HBO GO on the computer and on my iPad.  I really want it on Roku, too.  Any chance of that???

If you are a TIme Warner Cable subscriber you can now stream all TMC content on the Roku.  If TMC can do it, why not Comcast?  I only have Comcast in my living room, but I have Rokus on the rest of my TV's.  It would be nice to be able to stream comcast on my Rokus just as TMC users now can.  I also do not understand why so many cable providers allow their subscribers to access HBO Go on their Rokus, but Comcast will not.  Very poor customer service Comcast!

$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Regular Contributor

Uverse Friday.....hopefully. Smiley Happy.
New Poster

Come on Comcast quit making deals with XBOX and give us the content we pay for on whatever device we want... I am wondering if some legal action can be taken as we pay for a service that is being blocked... This is all about money so maybe a money hungry lawyer is just what is needed to get the ball rolling on this...

New Poster

I would like to view HBOGO on roku to see past seasons series
Frequent Visitor

I can't believe I pay Comcast $150 a month for premium cable and internet and they won't allow me to access HBO GO on my ROKU player.  Why??  I still watch cable, use xfinity streampix, on demand...the whole boat.  Why do they choose to limit available content.  Direct customer service would be nice instead of trying to find answers on my own via message boards.  I'll have to call the 800 number I suppose.  And keep calling until they can give me an answer or resolution.

Regular Contributor

@Milsma wrote:

I can't believe I pay Comcast $150 a month for premium cable and internet and they won't allow me to access HBO GO on my ROKU player.  Why??  I still watch cable, use xfinity streampix, on demand...the whole boat.  Why do they choose to limit available content.  Direct customer service would be nice instead of trying to find answers on my own via message boards.  I'll have to call the 800 number I suppose.  And keep calling until they can give me an answer or resolution.

Let me help you out and save some time.  If Roku HBOgo is that important, you are going to need to find another provider like many of us already have. Comcast is not going to allow it on the Roku in the foreseeable future.  Making it that convenient for you limits their control.

New Poster

HBOGO on Roku and Samsung SmartTVs

Hello,

I really enjoy my Comcast service but I continue to be frustrated by Comcast's industry-lagging support for HBOGO on Roku and Samsung Smart TVs. HBOGO apps exist on Roku and Samsung Smart TVs - Comcast just chooses not to provide the service, even as all or most of the largest competitors do.

When can we expect a solution for this issue?

Thanks for reading my post.

Best,

M

New Poster

Well Duhhh... Xfinity only left Game of Thrones Season 1 on 'On Demand' for a while..  I am a new HBO sub.  I WANT IT ON MY ROKU so I can watch whatever season I want.  Get it fixed or lose some of those new HBO subs you just gained from the watch-athon.  And I'm not buying a $300 game console just to get it straight from hbo!  What's the matter with you, Comcast?

Problem Solver

Re: HBOGO on Roku and Samsung SmartTVs

Perhaps the following thread might be of some assistance: http://forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-Website/ROKU-HBO-GO/td-p/1100271

New Poster

Re: HBOGO on Roku and Samsung SmartTVs

Thank you. I read that thread before posting and was kind of surprised that well over a year later, Comcast has provided no response and done nothing.

Regular Visitor

Re: XFinity StreamPix / XBox360 / Roku

I too think it would be fantastic to have an App for Streampix to run through Roku.  

My husband & I are currently living in 2 different states.  He currently does not have a cable box in his location. In order for him to get a cable box, it would require him to have a seperate account.  AKA A NEW BILL..

He currently watches the OnDemand shows & catch up with the Premium channels shows that we pay for, on his laptop.

Being able to view/stream on a larger TV screen would be ideal for him. With Xbox360 you have to have a Gold Live Subscription, at an extra cost t view the channels we are already paying for.  

New Poster

HBO Go on Roku Streaming player

I am an HBO subscriber and recently purchased a Roku 2 XD streaming player primarily for the purpose of watching the additional content at HBO Go. When I hooked up my player I soon discovered that my local Comcast provider does not support Roku players. Since it is definitely available for Roku owners in other places, How do I get my local provider to start supporting HBO go on Roku?

New Poster

Live Timewarner is available on Roku, why not Comcast/Xfinity?

Regular Contributor

Well comcast I know you really hate the idea of us using our Roku's to watch any of your programming (which was none that you created until you purchased NBCUniversal). God forbid that the idea of having to register with our comcast ID to get streaming programming from HBO, TNT and others is actually a great way to limit the flight to cord cutting or movement to another service. Most of us were relatively happy before this, and now we tell everyone who asks how upset we are.

So while I await your coming to your senses and I wait for my OUYA console to arrive and see if I can install HBO GO on it I descided to get an Android TV Stick.

We for around $50 from Amazon I got a Dual Core A9 processor based TV Stick with BlueTooth. After about 60 seconds it was running and 2 minutes after that I had installed HBOGO for Android and was watching True Blood in 1080p on my projector. How was that truely different from on my ROKU!

Roku anounced that they have shipped there 5 Millionth unit, so this is a market you should be embrasing not ticking off. 

New Poster

Will this stick that you are referring to help me get HBO to Go on my Samsung smart tv?

Frequent Visitor

@Apphelpme wrote:

Will this stick that you are referring to help me get HBO to Go on my Samsung smart tv?

Try opening your Samsung TV's browser and go to www.hbogo.com; then sign in.

You should be able to get it that way.

Frequent Visitor

jhusosky,

Please let us know if the OUYA console is able to get HBOgo.  I'm thinking about cutting my cable, keeping only the Internet connection.

Regular Contributor

No! You need flash and samsung s browser doesn't support flash
Regular Contributor

>>> Apphelpme

Yes a "TV Stick" will allow you to get HBOGO and any other content that is available to Android users. Since it uses the HDMI out as the primary viewing pannel you do not get the issues were some apps do not allow content to an additional out put like on some phones. If you would like to experiment with one I would suggest nothing less then a Dual Core A9 processor and that it is running Android Jellybean 4.1. It is really amazing how fast these Android units run when they are not trying to conserve power like on phones and tablets. 

I really do not like using a keyboard and mouse for TV and will be trying out an app I found that lets you control another android device from another. I have an old samsung phone that I will bring out of retirement to use as a remote for it, and to run the Roku remote app too.

>>> NotAllThatBrite

I will keep you and everyone up to date on the OUYA saga, I found out that since I ordered an extra controler mine will not be shipped until the ship all the base model only purches ship. You would think if you cared enough to pay extra they would have shipped them first. I did get some comments from OUYA that sounded like getting to the play store will be either coming officially after initial launch or that there will be a work around that they will not support.

Hay comcast you see how much people just want to use your service and please just let your people free!

New Poster

Re: HBOBO on Roku

That's a solution but not a great one.  The HBOGo channel is free to add to Roku and only requires a sync to our provider account, while Playon is yet another paid service which would then need to be added to the Roku as a channel. 

I don't feel that I should have to pay twice for a service I already have just to fully enjoy the benefits of having it.

Frequent Visitor

After waiting forever for Comcast to join all the other providers, I had the happy accident of my Comcast bill once again going up. It made me learn thru comparison shopping that if I keep just the internet (Kabletown's big pitch in my area to keep us from jumping ship), and switch my TV to Dish, I'll halve

my bill for the combo without losing channels, get better DVRs and menu AND get HBO Go thru Roku. Bye, bye Kabletown.

Frequent Visitor

PS Kabletown - your sales rep who tried to bully rather than charm to keep me just made me so anxious to leave you and spread the word - I am quite chatty online and have lots of time to spread the word Smiley Happy

Regular Contributor

Congratulations ! I tried to set up a post declaring April as National Quit Month but they deleted it. Keep spreading the word , if they lose enough customers then they will change
New Poster

Re: HBO NO Go?

Why watch Hbo go on Roku?...I am already subscribing to Hbo ..paying for 2 cable boxes but I only have a regular adapter in my bedroom ...do I need to carry my cable box upstairs to watch it ?..Hbo go is free as long as you subscribe to Hbo and provider allows it. It is a shame that EPB allows Hbo go to work on Roku and comcast does not allow it. Will be checking with Epb and will change provider if they offer better service.
New Poster

I bought the Roku streamer because I also subscribe to netflix and also saw that they stream Hbo go...only to find out Comcast is not listed among the providers who allows Hbo go on Roku. Since I am paying for Hbo , why is comcast blocking this service?
Highlighted
Problem Solver

@ismaelsalud wrote:
I bought the Roku streamer because I also subscribe to netflix and also saw that they stream Hbo go...only to find out Comcast is not listed among the providers who allows Hbo go on Roku. Since I am paying for Hbo , why is comcast blocking this service?

So, is Comcast actually blocking the service, or Comcast doesn't have an agreement with the paticular app version of HBO Go and/or Roku itself, which means Comcast customers can't sign in becuse of that?  Those are kind of two different things in the end.

Contributor

Comcast is blocking the service.

Regular Contributor

Comcast is blocking the user from registering their HBO subscription for ROKU and Samsung TVs. This is simply the matter of comcast checking a box on the back end of the HBOGO site. There are no additional fees for comcast to pay, no additional agreements to sign other then the ones they already have signed to allow PC, APPLE and ANDROID. 

To be fair the only one left also not authorizing ROKU is DirecTV, I believe they allow Samsung now too.

It is amazing for a company to eritate 5 million customers/potential customers (ROKU shipped unit 5Million this week) and the million of Samsung TV owners out there. This is litterally the greatest anit-cord cutting thing out there and they are shooving a stick in our eyes.

Regular Contributor

Comcast Internet is not blocking, if you have an HBO subscription with another TV service you can watch HBOGO on your ROKU/SamsungTV over Comcast internet. 

Regular Contributor

What are you talking about? Roku will not stream hbogo if you have comcast. Comcast doesnt allow it. A roku box is a media streamibg device. Not a internet streaming device. Sooooooo, if you have comcast and want to watch hbogo you can only watch it through the Internet. Got it no? Watchinging hbogo on you computer monitor defeats the purpose of getting it through a roku box, which is what everyone here is asking for.
Problem Solver

@vincent228 wrote:
What are you talking about? Roku will not stream hbogo if you have comcast. Comcast doesnt allow it. A roku box is a media streamibg device. Not a internet streaming device. Sooooooo, if you have comcast and want to watch hbogo you can only watch it through the Internet. Got it no? Watchinging hbogo on you computer monitor defeats the purpose of getting it through a roku box, which is what everyone here is asking for.

It seems like if you have andother TV provider and Comast internet service and use that for Roku you can still login with that other TV provider account in Roku and use the HBO Go app.  So, Comcast isn't blocking it, it's that Comcast as a TV provider doesn't have an agreement with Roku and/or the specific HBO Go app for Roku that would allow for the Comcast TV customers to sign in.

Similar thing applies to DIRECTV, as someone mentioned, and similar thing happened and still happens to various mobile apps, like don't have support for all TV providers (and add it over time, like Showtime Anytime, which just added Comcast after a while).  No actual blocking is happening, just no agreement to support customers with that particular TV service.

Frequent Visitor

The Comcast website says — specifically — that Comcast does not "support" HBOgo.

There is a new ASUS Cube coming this month that uses the latest Google browser, and its info says that it supports HBOgo.  I saw the info today on newegg.com.

Regular Contributor

@C_DM wrote:

@ismaelsalud wrote:

So, is Comcast actually blocking the service, or Comcast doesn't have an agreement with the paticular app version of HBO Go and/or Roku itself, which means Comcast customers can't sign in becuse of that?  Those are kind of two different things in the end.

Comcast is blocking it by not comming to an agreement. They obviously have agreements with other delivery mediums XBOX for instance. However IF I had a PS3 I might be upset too.

You all have to realize. Comcast likes control. They also FEAR internet based media.

I am a member of The Blaze TV. I pay like 98 to 100 bucks a year for that service and I can watch it on almost everything. The only things it doesnt work on are xbox ps3 and windows 7/8 phones.

Glenn Beck made a deal with DISH Network for them to carry it but they have 2 choices to get it as part of a bundle or ala-cart for 5 bucks a month or something. As a subscriber I have access to 30 days on demand of all of his weekly shows and unlimited ondemand access to other content like specials and documentaries. The biggest advantage is I dont have to be in a comcast area to watch.

So comcast fears options like this it limits their control.

What really baffles me the government is willing to infring on the bill of rights but wont step in to help americans out on this issue.

Regular Contributor

the only company that comcast does not have an agreement with is themselves. i can assure you that Roku is not happy with all the returns from comcast/directv customers that return return their Rokus just because they can not get HBOGO. Comcast only has to stop being afraid that you will not rent additional cable boxes. This is obviously more important then customer satisfaction.

Frequent Visitor

I don't believe rokus are getting returned because of this issue - roku streams amazon, hulu plus, netflix and more with no service charge and no need to run wires to devices like your laptop to stream entertainment - that's what the box you pay monthly for should do. I think more like me see this as a reason to change tv providers. Dish should thank Comcast aka Kabletown for giving them a feature that no else in my area was offering. To paraphrase, 'Dish, you had me at HBOGo on Roku'