Community Forum

ROKU, HBO GO

Regular Contributor

Re: ROKU, HBO GO

I guess the truth hurts. It's not funny at all really. It is a ripoff. The mobile web apps like HBOGO work for basically all major cable subscribers except for us Comcast suckers. Its a ripoff that Microsoft charges an additonal fee to stream videos when other streaming devices provide it for free and that is the only service Comcast has made available to its sucker customers.. It is a ripoff the The xfinity app is disabled when you try to plug your mobile device or tablet into your TV. It is a ripoff that Comcast wants to charge $10 a month for using a cablecard that i own. I can go on and on and on.

Gold Problem Solver
Moved:

post by vincent228 removed because it violates forum posting guidelines.

Gold Problem Solver

Your cries of "censorship" don't hold water. The forum is the cyberspace equivalent of private property. Comcast owns the property and they make the rules. The rules are in place for a reason. Your removed post violated the rule.

As for your post complaining about censorship it has been removed, for the same reason. You were told not to use a certain word so you disguised it which is a no-no.

Forum Guidelines

(which everyone should read before making his/her first post) state

Please Don't

2. Use Profanity

Please keep your posts clean. Our forums have an automated profanity filter to block out inappropriate language. Please do not circumvent it by finding colorful ways to approximate or disguise those words. If you are caught trying to bypass the filters in any way, your posting privileges may be revoked.

Regular Contributor

I think the profanity thing was stretched a bit, probably didnt warrant censoring the post. The point was/is valid. Microsoft and Comcast/NBC are limiting competition by not allowing HBOGO to be accessed on streaming devices other than xbox for their customers. The xbox thing is a double whammy to consumers because to access HBOGO thru xbox you MUST pay for xbox live subscription. No other streaming device I know of charges a fee to access apps. Every other major cable provider allows HBOGO to be accessed on other streaming devices.

Whats more is if you try to use a mobile device to watch HBOGO and want to connect it to your TV for easier viewing the signal is blocked. This is for content you already pay for!!!

Comcast is the big boy on the block so they are pushing people around. Sooner or later it will bite them.

Regular Contributor

So queen evie. Are you going to delete every post i make, like the last 4 you just deleted? Without any profanity? Isnt that censorship? You coward!
Regular Contributor

Oh. So now its JayInAig deleting every factual post i make? Without any profanity in them?
Gold Problem Solver

@vincent228 wrote:
So queen evie. Are you going to delete every post i make, like the last 4 you just deleted? Without any profanity? Isnt that censorship? You coward!

I deleted only one. You assume something that is not true. Before you accuse get your facts straight and correct first.

I don't make the rules. I enforce them. Some words are not profane, however they are not allowed if the filter tells you don't use it. When someone uses any word after being told not to the post gets removed. Simple as that. Don't disguise the words, the posts stay.

As for Comcast not censoring that and other words on the History Channel or any other channel they don't have the power to dictate what the networks do. If anything is censored the network does it. Your misguided notion that Comcast is responsible for everything shown on tv is, well. misguided.

Regular Contributor

Okay. Then you only deleted one post that had comcasts version of a profane word. Then who deleted the other 4 posts "without one single profane word?". That isnt monitoring. That is censoring. Someone at comcast decided that my statement of them censoring was not liked, andv then censored it! And blocked it from view.
Regular Contributor

Making statemdnts that comcast doesnt censor, and then censoring a comment when it breaks no forum rules is the dumbest most ignorant action by comcast yet. It just shows that comcast wields their power like a sword.
Gold Problem Solver
Moved:

post by jzholt removed. I have no doubt the word was deliberately used and he/she knew the post would be removed.

Regular Contributor

This thread is so far off topic it is ridiculous. Why is a forum monitor engaging in an argument. Point of HBOGO had been beaten to death here. Maybe someone can just shut this thread down, We can trash Comcast anti customer policies in a new thread

Regular Contributor

Good point ATCDAV. Unfortunately, this post is a legacy to comcasts anti - customer policy. Facts: 1) this forum is over a year old. 2) almost 1000 posts begging for hbogo on roku. 3) almost ZERO response from anyone in comcast explaining the reasons why or why not. 4) only intervention by comcast is to delete your posts at will. What does that prove? A) comcast has been watching this forum but has lurked silently, making believe they are not there. comcast has a very good anti customer policy. C) they dont care that theit customers have been asking for this for over a year.
Bronze Problem Solver

@ATCDAV wrote:

This thread is so far off topic it is ridiculous. Why is a forum monitor engaging in an argument. Point of HBOGO had been beaten to death here. Maybe someone can just shut this thread down, We can trash Comcast anti customer policies in a new thread

I think you are right. So......

TANSTAAFL!!

Problem Solver

This forum was constructed for customers with Comcast services to post questions or concerns about their services. The forum does have a strict policy that will remove a post or thread if certain words are used.

Since this thread continued to post off topic it will be discontinued until further review. Please be mindful of the other customers reading this forum trying to ask for assistance.

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee and no longer actively support the Xfinity Forum.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Contributor

TWC

From the Roku blog:

In January, we announced that Time Warner Cable, the second largest cable company in the U.S., would bring its authenticated cable service, TWC TV, to Roku. We were very excited to be selected as the first connected TV device to stream TWC TV, demonstrating Time Warner Cable’s confidence in the strength and value of the Roku platform.

Today we are pleased to share that TWC TV is now available on the Roku platform at no extra cost to Time Warner Cable video and Internet subscribers who own a Roku 2, Roku HD (model 2500), Roku LT or Roku Streaming Stick™. If you’ve been looking for a way to enjoy TWC TV in places where you may not have a cable box, like in the bedroom or at the cabin, you can easily add a Roku player and stream TWC TV.
Silver Problem Solver

Re: TWC

Thanks for the info, but are you posting this to say what does comcast not do this or are you just providing info to those who can get TWC?   Comcast will most likely not be on this train and give up the box rental revenue, also how do you decode pay channels.?

Contributor

Re: TWC

Just providing information, for the TWC users. But it would be nice if Comcast were to follow and offer a similar feature since it doesn't seem HBOgo on Roku is in the foreseeable future for Comcast users. One the other note, I have no idea how the decode of pay channels works.
New Poster

HBOGo and Roku

Seeing as though I didn't get my chance to register my opinion in the now locked thread regarding HBOGo and Roku, I would like to register my opinion that Comcast should support HBOGo on Roku devices.  I am not aware of any valid reason not to support this service.  On Demand does not have all the same choices availible that are on HBOGo, lacks many programs in HD (seriously?!), and has an absolutely monstrous interface.  Please allow HBO and Roku to provide a superior service to your customers who are paying way too much money.

Thank you.

New Poster

Re: HBOGo and Roku

I'd like to reply that I am also awaiting HBOgo on Comcast for Roku. I just purchased the Roku 3 with the intent to watch in our media room that isn't connected to our cable. I guess I am stuck with using HBO go on my iPad and pushing it to my TV. This is very ridiculous since as a paying HBO subscriber you would think Comcast would want it's customers to see the value of it's service. If I could play back HBOgo on my Roku at full 1080p I would be more inclined to use it.

New Poster

Re: HBO NO Go?

HBOGO allows you to access OnDemand content as well as older content you can't access anymore. One reason why I have it is to watch all seasons of The Wire without having to pay.
Regular Contributor

Appletv allows mirroring of iphone4s, iPhone 5 and some of the iPads. I would suggest looking into exchanging the roku for appletv if your iPad is compatible with mirroring. Them u should be able to run all your iPad apps on the tv. Maybe u can demo it in the store first to make sure
Regular Contributor

ATCDAV, wasnt it you that suggested they shut down this forum to the comcast forum police because it was rediculously way off topic ? But yet, this topic is HBOGO on the ROKU through Comcast. But you always change the topic to trying apples version of what people are asking for, meaning that if they dont have a I-Pad or purchase another apple product they cant make what they are asking for work. Maybe they have a forum about how wonderful (and expensive) it is to buy some apple product and make it work with hbogo through comcast, and you can go post there. I am assuming the reason people are posting here is tehey already purchased a roku box, and are asking for what the forum is about. I myself already paid for a roku box (4 to be exact). I would have liked to receive hbogo on it through Comcast. There ! I have kept this forum "on topic".
Regular Contributor

Vincent, buddy, The guy said he already owned an ipad. he said he JUST bought a Roku3. So I suggest checking out AppleTV, if it works maybe the Roku can be returned. For those that already own the roku, Comcast is not your friend

I suggested locking down the other thread because it became nothing more than you and comcast arguing over censorhip of the forum.

relax dude. I am just as frustrated with Comcast as you are. They have no intention of opening up HBOGO to us thru Roku or any other streaming device anytime soon, I doubt there is an HBOGO app on the AppleTV, I was referring to mirroring the ipad. It may not work, I know they block it for Android tablets.

Regular Contributor

@ATCDAV wrote:
Appletv allows mirroring of iphone4s, iPhone 5 and some of the iPads. I would suggest looking into exchanging the roku for appletv if your iPad is compatible with mirroring. Them u should be able to run all your iPad apps on the tv. Maybe u can demo it in the store first to make sure

I'll use the same argument here that I used for "stream it from your pc with an HDMI".  I just might want to USE that iPad or iPhone for something while I'm also watching television. I have a dedicated device called a Roku that offers HBOGo--it is Comcast that denies their customers. I did not switch to Appletv when I lost major functionality in switching from Dish, I switched back to Dish.

Regular Contributor

@vincent228 wrote:
I am assuming the reason people are posting here is tehey already purchased a roku box, and are asking for what the forum is about. I myself already paid for a roku box (4 to be exact). I would have liked to receive hbogo on it through Comcast. There ! I have kept this forum "on topic".

Nailed it.

Regular Contributor

My apologies. You are correct. I am just at frustrations end with comcast. I cant afford i-pads. I cant even afford a newer computer so playon would work. I just cant understand after spending around $400 worth of roku boxes that they are good for netflix. I cant even get epix channel, because roku carries it, but cocast doesnt subscribe. And then to boot, I look at my comcast bill this month and its another $7 higher. When I call, they tell methe analog to digital boxes (that cable companies forced people to get) and were free, arent free any longer. They are now charging $3.50 each per month. Then they decide that historically accurate words are cuss words, when the webster dictionary clearly states they are not. They are worse and worse. My phone service stops working the other day (because of their failed modem) and they then billed me to send out a guy to replace their faulty equipment that i rent from them. And now im sure i will be chastised for going off topic. I apologize again. Its not you. It is comcasts smug way of hiding while people complain about their lack of support, and then publicly punish you when you have a legitimate complaint. I feel like comcast treats their forums like communist Russia. Smile and say you are as happy as a stepford. wife. There is no fury like a monopoly scorned.

m
Regular Contributor

The apology was directed toward atcdav. I understand he is trying fo help.
Regular Contributor

They are charging me $1.99 fir each adapter. I wonder why they charge u $3.50 . There are also clearQAM channels. I just learned they are still around. If u have a QAM tuner TV you are supposed to be able to coonect your TV directly to the cable and receive these channels. FREE. They are mostly local digital channels, me2, metoo, this , CSPAN, etc. if u search online you will also see people dropping cable like crazy. They are finding almost everything streaming free online. No illegal downloading. I have not looked into it yet but I am tempted. If u have a friend with dish or direct tv. Offer them a small fee for HBO access on your Roku. comcast will not change until wnough customers bail
Regular Contributor

dMilner , I have never had satellite. I looked into it direct tv seems to be as expensive as comcast. Dish was a but cheaper. , I just don't what the dish and cable outside my house but Dish is an interesting option.
Regular Contributor

Nope. Zero channels without the digital converter. All of our tvs are supposed to accept direct digital channels, especially my 6 month old 1080p plazma. But no dice. I was told by a comcast installer we know that if you dont have a comcast box, you dont get any channels on your tv. And i checked the charge for the box on my bill again. Definitely $3.50 each. Listed as "digital ready receiver". Maybe different prices in different areas. I pay over $200 a month for 1 hd box. 1 extended basic box and 2 of their required converters with basic. I get hbo out of the 2 larger boxes. When youre the only game in town, you can rip all you want. But uverse is the new sherrif in town. $70 less per month for all of the pay channels and hbogo.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

I was told the same as you. And for several years i have had the digital converts. Then I read about and visited this web page http://www.silicondust.com/support/channels/ . If you enter your zipcode, it will show channels you are supposed to get ClearQAM. I also read after the digital conversion all these were blocked. I even chatted online with  Comcast anf the guy said they are available. I said no and we argued. I disconnected my converter and connected the coaxial straight to the TV. My TV has an in for "air" and and in for "cable". It only worked when connected to the in for cable and I had to let the TV auto retune ( that took a long time) but then I had all the channels listed on the website.

It works in my area. take the time to check it out. on the website there is a drpdown menu, select your provider.. Only TVs with QAM tuners will work I dont get the analog locals but the HD locals

Uverse is here but I am 8000ft away, too far, so it looks like I am not getting it anytime soon

Regular Contributor

@ATCDAV wrote:
dMilner , I have never had satellite. I looked into it direct tv seems to be as expensive as comcast. Dish was a but cheaper. , I just don't what the dish and cable outside my house but Dish is an interesting option.

The dish is not really that noticable, but then I've had one for a loooong time (absent 5 misspent weeks last fall)

Regular Contributor

Jay is removing posts again. I think one of mine maybe. Don't remember anymore. Haha. But the point I was making is there are tons of options available between free channels , streaming , etc. Comcast has no intention of making the apps available , if they did , they wuld be already. Comcast will not change unless enough customers bail. So look around. There are options
Regular Contributor

Jay, by free I mean clearQAM by the way.
Regular Contributor

Is it verboten to suggest sharing a subscription ? Just asking so I know if a suggestion to share an Hbo subscription from Dish or uverse will be deleted. Im not suggesting it just asking if it is verboten
Contributor

I think it is pretty clear that these forums, and especially this particular thread, are a wastebasket for Comcast.  The people who monitor these forums are impotent to affect any kind of change.

Keep harassing the people who can:

https://twitter.com/Matt_CIM

and

https://twitter.com/samschwartz

I don't have high hopes that Comcast will ever support Roku.  I may be jumping ship to Dish.

Contributor

@ATCDAV wrote:

Vincent, buddy, The guy said he already owned an ipad. he said he JUST bought a Roku3. So I suggest checking out AppleTV, if it works maybe the Roku can be returned. For those that already own the roku, Comcast is not your friend

I suggested locking down the other thread because it became nothing more than you and comcast arguing over censorhip of the forum.

relax dude. I am just as frustrated with Comcast as you are. They have no intention of opening up HBOGO to us thru Roku or any other streaming device anytime soon, I doubt there is an HBOGO app on the AppleTV, I was referring to mirroring the ipad. It may not work, I know they block it for Android tablets.

Just to clarify, HBO GO now works via HDMI out on the android phones and tablets I've tried.  I think this was a recent update.  Not  saying this is an acceptable alternative when it SHOULD be available via Roku, just so people know it is an option.

Regular Contributor

Does it? I just tried xfinity app last week and got the message about secondary video device, does the hbogo app on android have an activation link for comcast now? Are they making me eat my words? I will gladly do do if this is true
Contributor

The HBO GO app for android phones and tablets has been supported for a while now.  Just recently, however, HBO updated the app to allow HDMI output on mobile devices.  Output resolution may vary by phone, however.

The Xfinity TV player app still blocks HDMI (secondary output).

Regular Contributor

Awesome. One step forward. Thanks for the update
Regular Contributor

Great I have a EVO 4G that just went off contract I can use for that, Still want my ROKU comcast!

Contributor

I have an EVO 4G as well.  It doesn't mirror the HDMI output natively, so unless you are rooted, you may be out of luck.  Oh, and the output resolution isn't the greatest, but would do for a smaller screen.

It is just ridiculous that Comcast continues to block its customers from accessing HBO on Roku and Samsung, when there are myriad ways to get HBO content on our TVs.  It just serves to frustrate customers and just shows how out of touch Comcast is.

New Poster

Hi, adding my voice here--just recently purchased a Roku only to find HBOGo is not supported via Comcast.  As someone who just switched from DISH hoping for a better experience, I can tell you with certainty that I'll be moving to AT&T faster than you can say "content restrictions are bad for business".

Regular Contributor

I really gotta tell you. It seriously gets stuck in my craw that they continuously delete posts. Some of the words they consider inappropriate arent anywhere near cuss words. As a matter of fact, they could only be considered offensive to comcasts customer practices. What is the sense of these forums if they dont allow people to talk and ask for what the thread is about? I mean seriously! Wbo runs comcast and decides what is appropriate? Stalin? Mao tse tung? Kim jong il? If everything is censored, if it is against comcasts practices, then there is no real rrason for these forums except to make you think you are being heard. You may as well be clanginving your steel cup against your prison bars. No one really cares. Its all p. C. Mumbo jumbo to shut uz up. Oh yeah! Comcast, i want hbkgo on rokj. There! Ig stayed on topic.
Regular Contributor

@DolorousDave wrote:

Hi, adding my voice here--just recently purchased a Roku only to find HBOGo is not supported via Comcast.  As someone who just switched from DISH hoping for a better experience, I can tell you with certainty that I'll be moving to AT&T faster than you can say "content restrictions are bad for business".

I switched from Dish to Comcast last October. I switched back to Dish from Comcast five weeks later. Got a new customer deal with the Hopper, paying less than half of the Comcast for year then it goes up to normal rates which are STILL less than Comcast -- and that has the everying pack with two Hoppers that are TRUE whole house DVRs.

Regular Contributor

@vincent228 wrote:
I really gotta tell you. It seriously gets stuck in my craw that they continuously delete posts. Some of the words they consider inappropriate arent anywhere near cuss words. .

I found it beyond annoying that they would censor words in the forum here that could not be confused for profanity in any way, shape or form--but had no problem allowing vulgar program titles (and I do mean vulgar) to remain visible in my on-demand program guide where anyone with the remote could see them. With Dish I can not only "hide" the titles, I can completely hide the channels themselves.

Regular Contributor

Wow. I can't believe how many thread entries were just deleted. Even the ones about comcast not allowing proper filtering ( remival)of adult content . SHAMEFUL. !!' Apparently Dish and Direct TV are also verboten words
Regular Contributor

I think I will be emailing Strauss and Schwartz.
Regular Contributor

I tweeted both Strauss and Schwartz about over zealous censorship but I doubt they care enough to respond
Regular Contributor

I guess verboten is also forbidden to use