Community Forum

ROKU, HBO GO

Regular Contributor

Re: ROKU, HBO GO

@bhamley wrote:

I have also used my Roku for streaming different things. When I signed up for HBO GO with Comcast, I was under the impression that I would be able to use my Roku to watch it. This is not the case. Is there any chance Comcast will try to compete with their competitors? Roku and Sony devices are becoming more and more popular. It would probably be a good investment for Comcast to get with the program

Oh, there were a number of things I was given the impression--if not outright told--that I could do.  I was told I would be able to stream live television when away from home (I could on Dish)...however that was not true. I was told I would have the same amount of space on the DVR that I had on the Dish DVR....however that was not true. Comcast advertises that their customers can watch their shows anywhere, anytime....but that is not true. Switching to Comcast was a huge mistake I have now realized...one that will be rectified as soon as my "contracted" period has ended.  I should not have left Dish, and will go back.

Contributor

I agree...would really enjoying being able to access HBO go on RoKu

New Poster

Re: HBO NO Go?

Maybe we need to start a Class Action against Comcast for Ruku Users!

New Poster

Re: HBO Go

I have the same problem, although I've always had Comcast since moving to MD.  I am a subscriber to HBO, but can only watch HBO Go on my laptop, not through my Roku divice.  It's ridiculous since I pay for HBO every month. 

If you find a solution to this issue, please pass it along.  I'd like to be able to watch HBO on something bigger than my computer monitor --- especially since I'm a paying customer. 

New Poster

If I'm on the same page as far as getting your HBO services on comcast/xfinity I would say to you is that people like myself like to watch their games movies etc online. I have a 60 inch Ad TV but would rather sit on my patio on a nice day and watch on my computer. Much of HBO or Direct TV online services are lousy. Case in point I get NFL Redzone  on my TV but not online. 

New Poster

I bought a Roku box specifically to watch HBOGo, since I was already paying for HBO and wanted to watch The Wire, and other older shows.  After speaking with Comcast, and going through multiple people who had no idea what a Roku was, I learned what you all have known for some time: Comcast will not allow us to use HBOGo on Roku boxes, and their proposed solution to me was to use the Comcast On Demand.  Unbelievable.

I told them to just cancel my HBO subscription, since they wouldn't allow me to make use of the service that I was paying for.  Unfortunately, I am stuck with Comcast, because my apartment building will not allow satellite dishes.  This should be a concern for HBO, since they are losing subscribers because of Comcast's parochialism.

Comcast is the worst company I have ever had to deal with, and is the perfect example of how government imposed monopoly is terrible for consumers.  In a truly competitive market, Comcast would be forced to provide excellent products and services, or be displaced by companies that did.

P.S.  I love how they gave themselves a "snazzy" new name (Xfinity! Get it?  It has an 'X', and it sounds like 'infinity,' so it must be extreme and cool, right?  The kids still use the term 'extreme!' don't they?), and then turn all of their marketing messages into ad hominem attacks on companies like Verizon, Dish, and DirecTV.  God, I can't wait to move into an area with choice!

Regular Contributor

I can't wait until my subscription period is over, then I will go back to Dish.  In my county, Comcast has an "exclusive" cable provider monopoly granted to them by the county for a period of years, and I will start working today to make sure that exclusive is not extended beyond the end of the current "contract" for them.  There are alternatives out there--and I hope to make sure they become available in this area.

In the meantime, my son is with a "real" cable provider, and has agreed to let me use his credentials to log into HBOGo on Roku so I can see the shows on the "big screen" instead of my laptop--it is so much easier for the family to watch a show on the television instead of a 15" laptop screen. Apparently Comcast does not understand (or more likely, care) that people actually use their computers for things other than watching programming - like school work for instance.

New Poster

Give us Roku access already. This is ridiculous. 

Contributor

Alternative (gets good reviews):

PC-on-a-stick...runs Android on an HDTV...and therefore runs video apps...replace the Roku...

http://www.geekbuying.com/item/iMito-MX1-Android-4-1-Jelly-Bean-Dual-Core-TV-BOX-RK3066-1-6Ghz-Corte...

Gold Problem Solver
Moved:

post by mikeleemi removed.

Forum Guidelines

(which everyone should read before making his/her first post) state

Please Don't

2. Use Profanity

Please keep your posts clean. Our forums have an automated profanity filter to block out inappropriate language. Please do not circumvent it by finding colorful ways to approximate or disguise those words. If you are caught trying to bypass the filters in any way, your posting privileges may be revoked.

Regular Contributor

@DMilnerJax wrote:

I can't wait until my subscription period is over, then I will go back to Dish. 

Oh the wonderful news....no subscription period.  Dish is coming next week to hook me back up.  Full features restored!

Regular Contributor

@wsalopek wrote:

Alternative (gets good reviews):

PC-on-a-stick...runs Android on an HDTV...and therefore runs video apps...replace the Roku...

Does not replace Roku, Roku has many, many more channels than can be run on Android.

Regular Contributor

The Android on a stick is an option but not a replacement as stated above. It also is good for the other networks that require cable subscription. One of the bummers is that every month or so they come out with a newer better one. I have a Google TV also that gets all the android stuff which just makes all this "oh no Not A Roku on our system" stuff (substituted to avoid the swearing filter) so rediculus. 

Regular Contributor

An even better solution? I'm going back to Dish as of next week. The only reason it is not this week, is that the earliest installation available was next Tuesday.

@jhusosky wrote:

The Android on a stick is an option but not a replacement as stated above. It also is good for the other networks that require cable subscription. One of the bummers is that every month or so they come out with a newer better one. I have a Google TV also that gets all the android stuff which just makes all this "oh no Not A Roku on our system" stuff (substituted to avoid the swearing filter) so rediculus. 

Regular Contributor

Thank god I have a HTPC I have it right in living room next to my TV stand. I can watch anything online on my 55 INCH HDTV.  If in the market for a new PC I would consider a PC with HDMI out and in a form factor thats like a Home theatre component.

When my friend visits (whos a Comcast customer) we can watch HBO GO with out any of his EQUIPMENT on big TV.

Regular Contributor

My pc also has an HDMI output, however my problem is that I frequently need to use that PC while watching television. Yes, I can extend the desktop, but I should not have to extend a 15 foot HDMI cable from pc to television, and the extended desktop is less than optimal.

Regular Contributor

Nothing beats the Roku for streaming TV viewing. I have 3 Roku's, a GoogleTV, an PC exclucively for HTPC, a netbook with HDMI out and 2 towers with HDMI out avalibale it the living room with the 120in Projector the only thing that I really want to watch TV on is the Roku. All of which Comcast will OK for HBOGO except the Roku.

Regular Contributor

I did it more simply. I have a normal HDMI cable since my TV and PC are next to eachother. I bought a cheaper DVI extention for my 22 inch monitor. So my monitor sits on a double wide milk crate. This way I can see computer up close for surfing and what not and have the 10 foot experiance too. The only bad part is It requires me to have a USB hub on coffee table out if front cause wireless peripherals suck for gaming.

Even right now I am watching The Blaze TV on my TV while on this site. Through a website.

Regular Contributor

I'm going to use an even simpler solution...I'm moving to new provider. The PC alternative is less than optimal, no remote, using mouse "bleeds" over to extended desktop, have to use the mouse to FF or REW.....Roku I have, Roku I will use.

New Poster

I bought my dad a Roku box for his birthday specifically so he could enjoy HBO GO. It works on my xbox 360 but when I tried it on the Roku, Comcast is not an available option. 

Why is HBO GO available for Xbox 360 but not Roku? The only real difference is that one device is more expensive -  this leads me to believe that it is an issue of profitability rather than customer satisfaction.

I understand you must make hard decisions in order to increase the profit of your company. Business is business.

However, I strongly feel the amount of customers ($) you are losing due to this exceeds the profit you are gaining by disallowing HBO GO on the Roku.

Comcast is a premium cable service, but I do not feel I am being treated as a premium customer. 

We are seriously considering transferring to AT&T Uverse. 

Thank you,

Concerned Comcast Customer

New Poster

Re: Can't get HBOGO XBOX to activate

What about on my Roku??? Everyone brings up gaming system problems, but no one has addressed the Roku?

please and thank you Joe from Comcast.

Regular Contributor

Comcast is a "valued Microsoft partner."  That explains the xBox--they generate sales for Microsoft on a failing platform. Comcast claims they are not compatible with Roku's service, however, the only reason that might be is that Comcast will not allow Roku to access their servers to validate login credentials for authorization.  Yet they allow ESPN, and others to do just that--so it is possible, they just refuse to implement.

@wstove wrote:

I bought my dad a Roku box for his birthday specifically so he could enjoy HBO GO. It works on my xbox 360 but when I tried it on the Roku, Comcast is not an available option. 

Why is HBO GO available for Xbox 360 but not Roku? The only real difference is that one device is more expensive -  this leads me to believe that it is an issue of profitability rather than customer satisfaction.

I understand you must make hard decisions in order to increase the profit of your company. Business is business.

However, I strongly feel the amount of customers ($) you are losing due to this exceeds the profit you are gaining by disallowing HBO GO on the Roku.

Comcast is a premium cable service, but I do not feel I am being treated as a premium customer. 

Thank you,

@wstove wrote:

Thank you,

@wstove wrote:

Thank you,

@wstove wrote:

Thank you,

@wstove wrote:

Thank you,

With respect to transfer service to new provider, I'm going back to Dish on Tuesday of next week. Tech supposed to be here by 1:00pm.  I can't wait.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@wstove wrote:

Thank you,

Regular Contributor

Comcast is a "valued Microsoft partner."  That explains the xBox--they generate sales for Microsoft on a failing platform. Comcast claims they are not compatible with Roku's service, however, the only reason that might be is that Comcast will not allow Roku to access their servers to validate login credentials for authorization.  Yet they allow ESPN, and others to do just that--so it is possible, they just refuse to implement.

@wstove wrote:

Thank you,

New Poster

Re: Roku

Agreed.  Just realized tonight that Comcast wasn't supported on Roku for HBOgo.  Says to update my service provider (on HBOgo site) and ask them to add Roku.  Bummer.  

Official Employee

Hi all,

We will continue to work with our partners to deliver even more choices to our customers in more places. 

For now, HBO content is not available on the Roku Player for XFINITY TV customers.

I am sorry but I do not have anymore information at this time. We are passing along all of your feedback to the appropriate team.

Once more information arises, I will update this thread.

Thanks,
Joe
XfinityTV.com/Xfinity.com Support
Twitter: @XfinityTVJoe

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

NO HBO GO ON ROKU - ARE YOU SERIOUS COMCAST ?

Found out yesterday that the Roku device i just purchased could not access HBO GO because i am a comcast customer .

Way to go Comcast , you don't even provide all the HBO shows with all the seasons on the Xfinity on demand menu with my Tivo Box , i can only get the last season and i am blocked from getting access to something i pay every month.

I don't want to watch Boarwalk empire on my phone or seating in front of my computer , i want to watch those series on my big screen TV .

IT's really unfortunate , because i just canceled my HBO subscription and eventually will cancell my comcast account to move to another provider that will show me more respect .

Regular Visitor

Ugh.  Now I'm returning my Roku box and reverting to using a laptop for HBO Go when using the treadmill.  

What could possibly be in it for Comcast to NOT PREVENT me from using their content or bandwidth, but to just make it much less handy?  

I know this is "1st world problems" and I should just be grateful to live in the land of opportunity, but Comcast is charging FIRST WORLD MONEY for the TERRIBLE service.  I have a right to be peeved.  

Calling 888 COMCAST about this, I first waited on hold several minutes and wsa hung up on.  Then I called back and waited to talk to someone who had absolutely no idea what she was talking about or what a Roku was, then I waited again for a knowledgeable guy who had absolutely no knowledge of the status of any Comcast/Roku/HBOGO relationship.  

This is a deliberate active choice by Comcast.  They should actively educate their service people to tell customes NO ROKU FOR YOU.  And Roku's web site should make plain the HBO GO does not work with Comcast.  Booo.  

I was ready to brag to everyone I know about how clever I was for getting a Roku.  Now I'm just going to rag about what a sucker I am to still use Comcast.  

Highlighted
Contributor

Hey Comcast Joe,

It's obvious that Comcast doesn't want to make this happen and what is the company line on this? The next time someone tells us that your On Demand offers the same, I'll scream!!  The content on the HBO On Demand doesn't compare at all with what HBOGO provides in any way, plus the navigation is terrible.  We pay for HBO as a subscriber and should receive all the benefits that come with the monthly subscription as is the case with other Cable providers.  My only option now is to cancel my cable TV service and sign up with DISH in order to enjoy HBOGO on my TV using a Roku.  This disregard to your customers is totally unacceptable.  It would only take a few minutes of programming to allow the Roku to authorize as you already provide this to PC's and Smartphones.  I pay over $200 per month to Comcast and this is a slap in my face as a very long time customer.

New Poster

This is about profit (for Comcast) nothing more... nothing less. With Comcast, you have to pay them for access for each individual room in your home. If you have a Roku, you don't need their equipment. They are not going to allow this to happen unless they can figure out a way to give access to HBO Go and make their customers pay. Trust me... they've had the ability to do so for years but until they find a way to charge us for it, there will be no HBO Go on Roku. I can't wait for Verizon FIOS availability in our area. When that happens, I will write the last check to Comcast and never, ever deal with them again.

New Poster

And, as I learned when I contacted Comcast, they don't care! and have no plans for Roku.  Kind of stinks, doesn't it?

Regular Contributor

I was with Dish for a  long time, but made the move to Comcast to go to a single provider (was using Comcast for internet and basic cable for locals during storm weather).  I have been with Comcast as my sole provider for almost 6 weeks. Dish installer is coming next Tuesday to restore my Dish service, and Comcast gets all their receivers back.  The loss of HBOGo on Roku was only one of many features I lost when I left Dish--the ability to stream live television (using the Dish slingbox attached to receiver) and on demand to my iPhone or PC from anywhere, even using 3G. Comcast requires WiFi to watch on-demand on iphone, not sure why....I've been using my 3G mifi when on the road and connecting the phone to it...but that uses mifi bandwidth when I have unlimited data on the phone itself.  Dish's any room DVR is exactly that, you can not only view recorded programs, but pause, rewind, FF AND set recordings from any other television. I could not believe how sub-standard Comcast's technology is, and so am going back to Dish next week.

@tw98056 wrote:

Hey Comcast Joe,

It's obvious that Comcast doesn't want to make this happen and what is the company line on this? The next time someone tells us that your On Demand offers the same, I'll scream!!  The content on the HBO On Demand doesn't compare at all with what HBOGO provides in any way, plus the navigation is terrible.  We pay for HBO as a subscriber and should receive all the benefits that come with the monthly subscription as is the case with other Cable providers.  My only option now is to cancel my cable TV service and sign up with DISH in order to enjoy HBOGO on my TV using a Roku.  This disregard to your customers is totally unacceptable.  It would only take a few minutes of programming to allow the Roku to authorize as you already provide this to PC's and Smartphones.  I pay over $200 per month to Comcast and this is a slap in my face as a very long time customer.

Regular Contributor

@edpeters wrote:

@bkyle7301 wrote:

Comcast should support ROKU!!

Why not ask ROKU to support Comcast cabel and/or boxes?

The issue is not with Roku, it is with Comcast. Roku has to be able to access Comcast authentication data to verify you have are an HBO subscriber, Comcast will not allow it.  It has nothing to do with the Comcast box or cable to your home, it has to do with Comcast's refusal to allow Roku to be able to authenticate users. I can't speak to Comcast's reasons, but know that they keep blowing smoke about it.

Regular Contributor

Re: NO HBO GO ON ROKU - ARE YOU SERIOUS COMCAST ?

I was shocked when I found that the HBOGo I had enjoyed on Roku through my Dish account could not be continued with Comcast. I was seriously ticked when I was told by a tech and a few others that I should either purchase an xBox or just be content to just watch it on my pc--a pc that I use for other things while I am watching televsion, and one that our family should not have to huddle around while a much larger screen on the television goes idle. And actually, why should I not just use HBO on demand instead? After all, the content on HBOGo is not that much different than on demand...which of course, anyone who has actually looked at the HBOGo content knows is claptrap.

The only reason I subscribe to HBO at all is for the HBOGo programming....while the epic fail with Roku was not THE nail in the coffin with my short span with Comcast as my provider, it was certainly one of the prominent ones, and I go back to Dish this next Tuesday.

New Poster

Comcast doesn't support HBO GO for Internet TV

Hello,

Thank you for your email.  Comcast is currently not supporting HBO GO on Samsung Smart TV’s. We encourage you to reach out to Comcast XFINITY and request that they add support for HBOGO on Samsung Smart TV’s.

Thank you,

The HBO GO Team

Sent: Wednesday, December 05, 2012 1:57 PM
To: *Contact HBOGO (HBO)
Subject: activate a samsung device with comcast provider

I cannot enter the activation code for my Samsung tv because Comcast is not included as a  provider?  Please help

http://www.hbogo.com/activate/#affiliate_grid

Regular Contributor

Re: Comcast doesn't support HBO GO for Internet TV

Comcast only supports HBOGo on pc, iPhone, (I think) tablets i.e. Android, and xBox.

Regular Contributor

@doug3507 wrote:

This is NOT a Comcast blocking issue. It is an authorization issue with HBO.  When you go to the HBO go activation site and select Xbox360 or Samsung TV comcast is there but not for Roku. I have Comcast for Internet but DirectTV for TV. If there were a Direct TV option under Roku I could get it because it would check my direct TV account to see that I am a valid HBO subscriber. It is just a validation that you are a subscriber not anything to do with the actual data (port) being authorized.

I can go on my comcast internet on my computer, go to HBO GO and tell it I am direct TV and it validates and works fine. HBO is the culprit. They do not have a selection for either Comcast or Direct TV for the Roku as your provider.

Not sure who to complain to on this but there are three choices - Comcast, HBO, or Roku. Very dissapointing that HBO go is not on the Roku with direct TV or Comcast.

Your logic is flawed.  HBO Go does allow Comcast customers; we can get HBO Go on our computers, iphone, tablets, and with Comcast's "partner" Microsoft's xBox...where we cannot get it is Roku. The issue is the Roku activation, which Comcast (and apparently DirectTV) does not allow.  I've seen a variety of opinions as to why Comcast won't allow it, but the issue IS with Comcast. Roku is willing, Comcast says no.
I suspect the issue may well be some type of contractual agreement with xBox that prevents Roku participation (after all, Roku is cheaper than xBox and does much more) or as some have speculated, that it would be too convenient for some customers to simply not get that extra digital receiver, since the Roku would provide what the receiver does not. The bottom line is that Comcast is ignoring a fairly emphatic request from their customers for a service they should be able to get. I know it is one of a number of reasons that I am cutting my Comcast service and going back to Dish.

Regular Contributor

@DMilnerJax wrote:

@doug3507 wrote:

This is NOT a Comcast blocking issue. It is an authorization issue with HBO.  When you go to the HBO go activation site and select Xbox360 or Samsung TV comcast is there but not for Roku. I have Comcast for Internet but DirectTV for TV. If there were a Direct TV option under Roku I could get it because it would check my direct TV account to see that I am a valid HBO subscriber. It is just a validation that you are a subscriber not anything to do with the actual data (port) being authorized.

I can go on my comcast internet on my computer, go to HBO GO and tell it I am direct TV and it validates and works fine. HBO is the culprit. They do not have a selection for either Comcast or Direct TV for the Roku as your provider.

Not sure who to complain to on this but there are three choices - Comcast, HBO, or Roku. Very dissapointing that HBO go is not on the Roku with direct TV or Comcast.

Your logic is flawed.  HBO Go does allow Comcast customers; we can get HBO Go on our computers, iphone, tablets, and with Comcast's "partner" Microsoft's xBox...where we cannot get it is Roku. The issue is the Roku activation, which Comcast (and apparently DirectTV) does not allow.  I've seen a variety of opinions as to why Comcast won't allow it, but the issue IS with Comcast. Roku is willing, Comcast says no.
I suspect the issue may well be some type of contractual agreement with xBox that prevents Roku participation (after all, Roku is cheaper than xBox and does much more) or as some have speculated, that it would be too convenient for some customers to simply not get that extra digital receiver, since the Roku would provide what the receiver does not. The bottom line is that Comcast is ignoring a fairly emphatic request from their customers for a service they should be able to get. I know it is one of a number of reasons that I am cutting my Comcast service and going back to Dish.

I agree to a point but if it was fear of cord cutting or people not getting that extra box in the basement or bedroom. Comcast would have to have the exact same content available. If they did most people would just use the box. If the box goes bad they replace it. If a Roku goes bad customer has to go buy another one.

Since comcast doesnt offer the same exact access via there boxes. Then comcast has no foundation to stand on.

However looking at the cost of box rentals for 1 year at 5.00USD per month thats 60 bucks then add in the aditional 10 bucks a month for having the digital services on that box thats another 120.00USD total of 180 bucks.

Now look at what it costs to get a Small form factor HTPC with an HDMI out. Mostlikely 4 or 500 bucks.

Then look at how many more video types a HTPC can play and the ease of use with programs like XBMC and the loss of the head aches. Then you can just have 1 box with the services you want. Then on the HTPC connected through HDMI you can fire up the HBO-GO in you browser and watch in HD full screen on a big TV with all the same remote control conveniences.

On my system I can play MKV MOV MPG AVI M2TS TS WMVHD BDMV AVCHD Blue-Ray DVD and even 2k and 4k video even though my TV isnt 4K res I can still play it back.

I understand Rokus are small and easy and are great for places with little room for EQ but theres other options that can give you more.

I HAVE cut the TV cord from Comcast. I only need Internet. All the shows I watch can be downloaded or watched free at there perspective websites.

Silver Problem Solver

that would be corrrect.   It has to do with licensing and how much hbo wants for that to be enabled

New Poster

Every other major broadband provider supports HBO GO (see link above) including Time Warner, Dish, Direct TV, Cox, AT&T & Verizon.  Why not Comcast?  I understand that it competes with Comcast On Demand but it's a service Comcast would be smart to provide to keep its customers. 

Regular Contributor

@rups1948 wrote:

Every other major broadband provider supports HBO GO (see link above) including Time Warner, Dish, Direct TV, Cox, AT&T & Verizon.  Why not Comcast?  I understand that it competes with Comcast On Demand but it's a service Comcast would be smart to provide to keep its customers. 

Comcast DOES support HBO Go on other platforms, just not Roku or now it seems the internet enabled televisions. You can use it on the xBox (Comcast is a valued partner with Microsoft--knowing how that program works I know that is because their allowing it on the xBox increases sales for Microsoft.)  It is not a licensing issue with HBO to allow it on the Roku, it is that Comcast will not allow the Roku servers to access Comcast authentication data-their systems "are not compatible" per Comcast. However, they allow other networks where they have financial partnerships to authenticate against their servers, so the protocols are available, they just will not implement it.  So, I suspect it is because they can't make money off it. According to Roku, the ball is in Comcast's court.

Frequent Visitor

I simply don't understand the reasonning behind it , we still have to pay comcast every month to have Comcast and they don't offer HBO GO through the cable box or for me through my Tivo box.

So why upseting their customers , unless it is once again a question of cash where Comcast wants money from Roku to allow their customers to watch HBO on Roku.

Whatever reason Comcast has , it's not worth losing me and over 100 dollars every month i give them for my internet and TV subscription .

Regular Contributor

That would be great, however we do watch shows that we can only get current season on from a provider such as Dish or Comcast.

Silver Problem Solver

right comcast will not give you access unless you get a comcast digital box or a kick back from the hardware provider.  Another reason you don't see the xfinity app on any tv or roku, again you skirt the comcast box issue. 

Regular Contributor

According to Comcast, their system is not compatible with the Roku system at this time. <wink, wink, nudge, nudge.>

Silver Problem Solver

of course its about the money.   Are you aware you can watch it through comcast through a smartphone, tablet and xbox 360????  you can get an xbox 360 with connect now for 99.00 and you can play your netflix and so much more stuff with it, its great. 

Comcast also does not allow it on ps3 or, wii, or new wiiu. 

Regular Contributor

@rog286713 wrote:

right comcast will not give you access unless you get a comcast digital box or a kick back from the hardware provider.  Another reason you don't see the xfinity app on any tv or roku, again you skirt the comcast box issue. 

I am not skirting the comcast box issue, as I don't see that as a relevant point. You still  have to pay Comcast for the HBO premium service, and allowing HBO Go on Roku does not replace a comcast box, it augments it. Most of the content from HBO Go that would  use the Roku to view is not available through the Comcast box.  Also, there is no "Comast app" involved--the channel is HBO Go, and you have to authenticate through your provider to activate the service on the Roku device. The only difference from the consumer end is that with the Roku, we can view the content on the large tv screen, not try to huddle 4 or 5 people around a 15" monitor on the laptop. Of course, they DO allow it through the xBox, so it is not a "replace the box issue" or xBox users wouldn't have it either--the main difference I see between xBox and Roku is that Roku does not charge a monthly fee on their own to use the box.  So, the "incompatibility" issue is not software, it is probably financial. 

Silver Problem Solver

yes not arguing with you I knew all that.  According to this thread with is 20 pages plus they say coming to samsung tv's q1 2013.

has anyone tried using their laptop or tablets video out setting to watch it on your tv.  Not a fix but does work just as good.

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-Website/ROKU-HBO-GO/td-p/1100271/page/11

Regular Contributor

Actualy, no it does not work "just as good."  Especially if you need to use the laptop for other tasks at the same time you are watching tv.  The remote for Roku allows you to FF, REW and Pause.  On the pc you have to use the mouse, which on an extended screen is a pain in the neck. If the pc is close to the television due to length of HDMI, then you now have to get up and go across the room to rewind 30 seconds to catch what you just missed. When you have hearing problems, that is a lot of up and down. If you have the pc close to you with a longer cable to the tv, now you have a cord running across the room that someone (probably me or one of the kids) will trip over.

No, not the same and not "just as good."

with respect to the Q1 2013, they said the same thing last year about Roku in 2012.  I think it is smoke and mirrors.

@rog286713 wrote:

yes not arguing with you I knew all that.  According to this thread with is 20 pages plus they say coming to samsung tv's q1 2013.

has anyone tried using their laptop or tablets video out setting to watch it on your tv.  Not a fix but does work just as good.

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-Website/ROKU-HBO-GO/td-p/1100271/page/11

Regular Contributor

@rog286713 wrote:

of course its about the money.   Are you aware you can watch it through comcast through a smartphone, tablet and xbox 360????  you can get an xbox 360 with connect now for 99.00 and you can play your netflix and so much more stuff with it, its great. 

Comcast also does not allow it on ps3 or, wii, or new wiiu. 

I already have a Roku. I don't need an xbox, nor should I have to purchase one to get the functionality that can be made available on a device I already own. I already have a device that plays netflix, huluplus, amazaon prime videos, acts as a plex server to stream videos and music from my laptop, and so much more...AND I don't have to pay Roku a monthly fee that ranges from 5.00 to 8.50 to have the ability to do that--only the membership fees for those channels I choose to subscribe to, and many of the channels I subscribe to are free (love those old, old series and movies.)

Yes, I am completely aware that I can watch HBO Go through my iPhone or laptop. I don't own a tablet, no plans to get one at the moment. In any event, for the shows we watch through HBO Go, if a 15" laptop screen is inconvenient for the family to huddle around, how much more inconvenient would it be for us all to watch on the iPhone or a tablet that is much smaller?

Nope, better solution. I'll use a provider that does not attempt to control and limit my viewing experience the way Comcast does.

New Poster

Re: Stream HBOGO

I am using a Samsung SmartTV, and I have found that Comcast is not allowing me to set it up.  Comcast is okay with me adding it on my iPad, on my XBOX, but they do not seem to be okay with me having it on my TV.  I imagine that this is because being able to access past series of HBO TV shows would compete with Streampix.  This seems like a business decision by Comcast--I cannot say I agree with it.