Community Forum

ROKU, HBO GO

New Poster

Re: HBOtogo on Roku

agreed, please make xfinity television services platform agnostic, if you want us to remain customers and not switch over to someone else, because you know eventually someone will break the monopoly/duopoly, make sure we can use our services on any device we so choose at any time we so choose. 

And for the love of god raise the bandwidth cap, 250gb a month thats less than most people realize. Especially when you have multiple laptops and tablets and a daughter watching streaming movies while my wife watches a streaming documentary while I play games, not to mention skyping with her friends and our family back in arizona, there is just no way I am  representative of just 1% of comcasts user base. 

Regular Contributor

You need to call them and tell them about these problems as well...

New Poster

Re: HBO NO Go?

YES. Comcast please GET YOUR STUFF TOGETHER and allow HBO Go access through Roku

Frequent Visitor

Re: ROKU, HBO GO

Here's hoping this message doesn't get flagged:

Looks like my previous post was deleted. In short, one reason many people pirate is becaus they are tired of the content providers deciding what devices they are allowed to view content on. Comcast decided that I am not allowed to watch on my Roku.

This behavior by Comcast encourages piracy.
Contributor

While I completely agree, and am angered by Comcast's stance (currently) on HBO Go and the Roku, using that supposed hardship as any justification for pirating is obsurd. Pirating is wrong, at all times, period. That's not debatable. It's an illegal act.

The fact of the matter is that the content CAN be watched in a legal manner currently on your computer (and most phones). I too would like Comcast to allow it on the Roku, it's ridiculous that they (currently) don't. However, just because I'm "tired of" something isn't a justification to steal it.

Regular Contributor

AGREE TOTALLY

Regular Visitor

HBO Go ROKU

I added HBO Go to my Comcast service.  My plan was to replace my Netflix with HBO... but now that I have found out that HBO Go will not work on my ROKU player I had HBO removed form my account.  So I guess I'm keeping Netflix.

I'm sure that Comcast may not care that I removed it because I was dissatisfied, but it is really my only voice.

The ROKU player is important to us, it is my media player in the garage in front of our treadmill.

Frequent Visitor

IMHO piracy does not equal stealing. Don't get me wrong, if you're not paying for HBO, you shouldn't be "stealing" it. If you're PAYING for HBO, and you want to watch it on your Roku and pirate a copy of Sopranos, I don't think you're stealing anything.

For example, I purchased a movie off of Amazon video and couldn't watch it on my phone. I pirated a DRM free version and was able to watch it on my phone. Was I stealing? I don't think so.

I am more than happy to pay for content. The content owners deserve to get paid.

Look at what happened to the music industry. Sales increased with DRM free music. I routinely purchase Amazon DRM free MP3's. Why would I bother pirating?

The fact is, the entertainment industry has to change the way they do businesses. In the meantime, continue complaining to Comcast.

Personally, I'll continue paying for HBO and watch my "pirated shows" on my. Roku.
Contributor

Dude, I don't care how you justify it to yourself to be "I don't think I was stealing". If you're downloading something through a non-legal method, you ARE stealing. Personally I agree with you that we should have the ability to put it on all our devices. But the fact of the matter is, the world doesn't work that way (yet). Until it does, it's, by definition, stealing. No need for quotes around the word.

Just because you're paying for HBO in one medium doesn't mean that you have the ability to just now download anything they've ever offered since you can't watch it via a specific device on your TV. Christ.

How did peoples' ability to convince themselves that clear theft isn't theft go so unbelievably out of control in such a short period of time?

Contributor

Any ETA for HBO GO on Roku or LG BluRay w/ WiFi?

HBO GO has so many offerings but I can't watch it the additional content because Comcast isn't supporting HBOGO via ROKU. When will this be available to Comcast subscribers? I will not use my work computer to stream HBO GO so its not an option for me.
New Poster

I dont believe xfinity itself available on roku.I have no real reason to buy a roku without it.idiots!!

Regular Contributor

I check into several other piece of hardware that stream hbo go. From sony to rca it's all the same old thing. Comcast is the only cable provider that does not allow streaming over those boxes. Comcast just wants to continue to raise their prices and provide no additional services. They cannot claim that its a money thing. If it were due to loss revenue how do you explain the x box ? Do they own stock in the xbox? I believe it is a thing where they want to show how much power they have and how little they care on what you want.
Regular Contributor

Actually they do have ties with MS. After the NBC/Universal merger they were included in NBC and MS's partnerships and had just signed a new partnership with MS a few months ago. 

This is not justification for thier actions just clearification.

If you are looking for a streaming device solution then grab a Logitech Revenue Google TV box from Geeks.com for under a hundred bucks. Since the OS and browser is Android they get in as a Phone/Tablet. 

COMCAST I still rather use my ROKU!!!!!

New Poster

LIke you, I'd VERY much access to HBO Go on my Roku box?  

Why?

Because Rocu access is easier than Comcast's dark ages VERY slow On-demand menus.

New Poster

Same here.  

Regular Contributor

Another reason, both my parents and in laws are in thier 80's and while the cant use thier dvr's they have no problem with thier roku's.

I have recommended roku's to dozens of people with the promise buy it from them if they did not want it And none have ever asked me to. Most people have bought second ones and have gone on to make the same offer to others

Come on Comcast we are not asking you to actually spend money on programmers to creat the HBO/GO channel just give permission.

After that if you gave permission to Roku to program an Xfiniy channel they would for free and I would actually use that too
Contributor

I don't like the word piracy. I prefer "Virtual Privateering." We're not sailing the Ether, all goggles down and cannons up. We copy, we share, and (at least I) don't get why hardware must suffer at the hands and wallets of companies. Believe me, I'd rather stream to my hearts content then keep buying hard drives or burning disc upon disc of backups.

New Poster

Of course, here again, we see Comcast worrying about it's bottom line ...being penny-wise but pound- foolish.   Typical now of large monopolies (and oligopolies) where customer service and what customers want are of no consequence to the company....I am a soon-to-be NON-Comcast customer.

New Poster

soon-to-be NON-Comcast customer.

New Poster

MCN, Multichannel News

Piers Lingle, Comcast vice president of application and video IP development.

Send Piers Lingle a message (by putting these together)

http://

blog.comcast

.com/contact_author.html?mailTo=Piers%20Lingle

MCN: On the question of a multitude of IP-connected devices — Piers, Comcast lets customers access content via Xbox, on iPads and iPhones, and other devices. But, for example, you’re not allowing HBO Go on Roku or Samsung Smart TVs. So there’s a bit of a customer confusion issue here, right, about what can I get where?

Lingle: It can be. I think what we’re trying to do is enable different platforms and as many platforms as we can. But each one of those takes some time to think through what are all the implications. So it’s not something you can just turn on overnight.

MCN: What are the issues on those platforms you haven’t activated yet?

Lingle: It can be any number of issues. Sometimes it’s business issues but a lot of times … we don’t know the technology as well as we should, and so we need to take our time to explore what the different kind of security mechanisms, content protection mechanisms there are. There’s sort of a variety of terms, and they can range really from technical to business reasons.

Contributor

Translation:

Business decision - Roku...they don't want their customers getting a Roku and start to believe they don't need cable.

Technology - Samsung Smart TV's...new technology they will eventually support...

Frequent Visitor

Re: Roku Users Ask For Xfinity Channel

Note that Verizon and other providers support HBO GO on Roku, but not Comcast. On two bedroom tvs I use a digital converter box that has limited channels and no on demand. Roku gives me more selections for these tvs. HBO GO would be great since I cannot get any HBO channels from this type of Comcast converter box. I do have full feature boxes on big screen tvs in other rooms, just not two bedroom tvs.
Frequent Visitor

Other providers (such as Verizon) do support HBO GO on Roku.
Frequent Visitor

Not all boxes support on demand. Full feature boxes do (~$10 per mo), but digital adapters (free) do not.
Frequent Visitor

Contacted Comcast.  Seems there is an issue with negotiations btween COMCAST and ROKU.  They are working with on this.

Forever enslaved to COMCAST!

New Poster

Comcast has allowed hbo go on the 360.. tried it out yesterday, the interface isn't great but it is indeed HBOgo

Regular Contributor

This is absolutely amazing. The discussion went from comcast not providing HBOGO on the roku to arguing with some guy who joked around about piracy, to getting stories on comcast not getting revenue, and most recently comcast negotiating with roku. the funny thing is every time i speak to comcast, they claim they have no say on what they provide. they blame the items like roku for not dealing with them. what a load ! I said it before, I will say it again. there is ZERO difference between Comcast and Cox cable. yet, 1 mile away over the town line, the cox providers are watching HBOGO on their roku boxes. SO WHAT IS THE TRUTH COMCAST ???!!!!  It seems that an awful lot of providers give customers channels and services, but comcast doesnt. and then comcast blames the providers for it. when in reality, if channels are dropping comcast, and roku is dropping comcast, then comcast has a very bad way of p-ssing everyone off, including theri customers. Stop p-ssing down my back and telling me its raining. You want the monthly payment (which seems to go up every time the wind blows) and dont want to provide anything else except their really cr-ppy "on-demand". BUT YET, you can watch all the things if you sit in front your 12" monitor on the internet THAT COMCAST PROVIDES !!!!!!  enough lies !!! lets get the truth !!!! 

Regular Contributor

AND ! if you can watch HBOGO on the  Comcast internet, then why cant comcast provide HBOGO through their on demand ?

Regular Contributor

I do not believe purchasing the Logitech Revenue Google TV box from Geeks.com for under a hundred bucks is the answer If you are looking for a streaming device solution. since we all know the box you spend $100 for today wont be upgradable and will not stream with any new formats in about 3 months. just the same way the WII provided a way to get on line with their internet channel, but cant be upgraded past a useless old version of the opera browser, that wont even let you look a youtube any longer.

Frequent Visitor

At the end of the day, with Comcast's lack of providing for HBOGO over Roku, the end result is to devalue the HBO service for those subscribers who like this capability , against HBO service from say, Uverse, where it is permitted.

Regular Contributor

Thats probably the best comment yet. in layman's terms : take your money for a service, and provide one half of what its capable of providing. Niiiiiiiiiice.

Frequent Visitor

ya know what, Comcast does not care.  They have many of us as a captive audience, they know this, and they just don't care.  They are not sensitive or responsive in any areas, as evidenced by the great number of customer complaints, arbitrary price increases, poorly designed apps, or limited device access. Until a universal customer response, such as happened to Netflix, they will keep the status quo.  However, technology will eventually win out, and they will try a knee jerk fix, but will have already lost.  

New Poster

I pay comcast over 300 bucks a mounth for two accounts and they wont give me app for hbogo, COMCast I hate you

Regular Visitor

Very displeased with no support of this feature. Looks like we're getting ignored by admins too (unless I missed a post from them on here). It's just funny because this is the MOST replied thread on the forum too it looks like. Tried talking to customer support chat and it was a joke. Lady was named "Scarlet Faith" (generated name anyone?) and was completely useless. Was jumping around the issue trying to say that I was having issues with my Roku and they could not help me with my problem... Once I finally cornered her on the issue, she finally spat out the same excuse Comcast has been giving us for the past 6 months... "sorry, we do not currently support it and do not have any more information on the matter." Ridiculous. 

Regular Contributor

Its prolly the fact comcast wants tooo much control of how the roku works and roku wont give it up. However if HBO has signed off on it that should be enough..

The can CLAIM customer security isnt tight enough. I call BS..

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: ROKU, HBO GO = NO Go

Another outrageous insult inflicted on paying customers _ no support for HBO GO on the Roku device by Comcast

After being transferred 10 times between departments ,and disconnected twice, I finally was told by a Tech assist rep  "No ,Comcast does not at this time support that " .

Each rep i spoke to was polite and reminded me about the Comcast Satisfaction Guarantee _ I am not very satisfied

In this service area both Dish and Verizon do support this device.

I will be moving soon > looks like I may be changing more than my address Smiley Sad

New Poster

Re: ROKU, HBO GO = NO Go

Why don't we all just put our antennas back on the roof and let comcast go broke, 

New Poster

Roku Streaming Player

Has anybody experienced not being able to access HBOGO through the ROKU player. I can add HBOGO to my xbox but not my ROKU player. I figure if we get enough requests to comcast/xfinity then they will add themselves as a TV service provider for the ROKU Streaming Player HBOGO programming. Please help get HBOGO for ROKU players.

Many Thanks,

Melody

Regular Contributor

Re: Roku Streaming Player

everyone here is experiencing that. thats why these posts are here. But complain if you want. comcast doesnt care.

Regular Visitor

The least they could do is give us any kind of response. It's so funny to see the admins reply to EVERY other thread and completely ignore this one. 

Frequent Visitor

Re: ROOK, HOBO GO

Again same MO, Comcast will just ignore what they don't like, eventually we will give up.  Why? Because Comcast does not care.   There is no good reason presented to me from any associate for the absence of Hbogo on Roku. In fact, most of the associates are misinformed, (I've been told: yes its available on Roku, No its not available on Roku but will be soon, and Huh?) poorly informed customer service. "Chats", are no better.  So now I live with a Hodge podge  of boxes with, Xbox in the basement, great for hbogo. Roku in den and bedroom, limited to netflix and crackle. Finally, Comcast Dvr in main family room, limited on demand service, and just a ridiculous feeling that I am foolish to be paying  big money every month for this ludicrous configuration.  As I said before, presented with the  Ability to use a different provider, who could unify my needs, and I will be a memory for Comcast faster than high speed rail.  Technology will catch up.  The day Hbo offers their service without being tethered to archaic cable provider, and like a falling house of cards the game will be over for this uncaring company.

Official Employee

Every day we’re working to make Xfinity TV programming available to our customers in more ways on all types of devices.  We will continue to work with our partners to deliver even more choices to our customers in more places.

Once I have an update to report, I will post it on this thread. At this time though, there is no further information.

Sorry ,

Joe
XfinityTV.com/Xfinity.com Support
Twitter: @XfinityTVJoe

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

I'm sorry, but that is not a satisfactory answer. You can talk in generalities all you want, but Comcast has stated publicly that it does not intend to support HBO GO on Roku.  It is unclear what those reasons are

They can't be related to "security" issues, since I can go to HBO GO on Roku and watch the free previews.  Presumably, any security issues would apply to watching these clips as well as the other content I can't access. (Also, I can believe that Verizon FIOS or others that allow HBO GO to be accessed on Rokus are less security conscious than Comcast.)  If the issues are not security issues, they have to be monetary issues.  Is Comcast trying to charge Roku for access to HBO GO?  If so, why not just charge customers who want access to HBO GO on Roku an additional $1/mo.  (Note: to get HBO GO on the Xbox, you need a subscription to Xbox live.  I assume that Comcast is taking a cut for allowing access to HBO GO on the Xbox or is getting some other value from Microsoft, with which it already has a business relationship.

The only people you are hurting are your HBO customers and (to a lesser extent) HBO. I have been tallying up how much time I spend watch HBO on TV, including on demand. The movies I am interested in I have already seen in theaters or on DVD (thank you, Redbox).  That means I am really spending about $20/mo. to watch one or two hours of original programming (like Game of Thrones).  I don't think that's a great way to spend my money.  On the other hand, if I could get access to the full line of programming on HBO GO, which is much more comprehensive than HBO on demand (every epsidode of every good series, with some interactive material), I would not even consider dropping HBO. 

No other cable company is paying a fee to Roku to carry HBO GO, and HBO has been pushing cable companies to use HBO GO (including on the Roku).

The moral is "Pigs get fat, hogs get butchered".  Streaming is the way of the future (as your pitiful "Streampix" shows).  If you don't get your act together, I will drop HBO (for which you are paid a fee) and wait for HBO GO to move to a streaming model, for which you will receive nothing.

Regular Contributor

Very nicely put! I am still wondering if the response we received (finally) was a copy and paste from the comcast standard response book.
Frequent Visitor

I'm not here to justify my actions are anything other than morally corrupt. However, "stealing" isn't the correct term. The word you're looking for is "infringing".

Speaking of morally corrupt, charging full price for a service and only providing half of the functionality sounds pretty sketchy to me.

In short, piracy is a symptom of the entertainment industry and comcasts policies in regards to DRM etc. If comcast understood this, we wouldn't be having this discussion.
Frequent Visitor

I forgot to mention, cable TV isn't going to be around forever. I'm the future I see comcast as an ISP more than a cable company. The future is IPTV eg xfinity on-demand, Netflix, Hulu etc.

Comcast is attempting to hold onto the cable tv business model that is slowly becoming obsolete. Look what happened to the phone companies when voip took over and it was possible to get phone service from more than the local provider. The same thing is happening to the cable industry.

Comcast is attempting to stop the inetabble rather than embrace the future.
New Poster

I completely agree.

Roku is the solution!

New Poster

Xfinity please make it possible to watch HBO Go on Roku!
Regular Contributor

Did someone say earlier that this is the most posfed on topic on this site? That should account for some attention. But I think asking xfinity to "please" allow it is verrrrrry strong lanquage. They dont understand that type of request. You have to speak their language. Try asking like this. Xfinity please raise my rates again and take away more channels but at least allow me to get half of the hbogo channel on my roku.
New Poster

typical corporate response, saying basically nothing.  I wonder how many people had to sign off on Comcast Joe's wording. 

Pretty obvious to all what is going on here, Comcast doesn't see the $$ in 'allowing' HBO Go to be accessed via Roku.  I don't fully understand the technology, but it appears to me that HBO and Roku do all the heavy lifting and Comcast simply has to 'allow' their subscribers the access.  Face the fact Comcast - HBOtoGO is much, much better than your awkward on-demand application.

Considering how many other (smaller) cable companies are allowing the access, it does appear that Comcast is simply throwing their weight around.

This thread is awesome.  We need to keep at it, and all of us should make promises to ourselves to consider and keep looking out for competitors to Comast.

On another note - what this situation reminds me of is the music industry and the start of (legal) song downloads years ago.  A new technology has arrived that raises the customer experience.  The Roku is awesome, and allows us to avoid the inferior on-demand services (Xfinity has less content and a very slow, awkward interface).  Instead of embracing devices like Roku and moving forward with them, Comcast would rather attempt to keep control of content and limit our options at our expense.  Comcast comes kicking and screaming when it comes to customer value - anyone remember when they tried charging us $5 for each episode of the Office until NBC started offering it for free?

Wake up Comcast.  Greed is not (always) good.