Community Forum

ROKU, HBO GO

Gold Problem Solver

Re: ROKU, HBO GO

@valis1 wrote:

On the bottom left of each post there's a link to report inappropriate content.  If you feel Comcast Joe's comment was irrelevent to the true issue and just fueled the fire report him.  All he did was to provide negtive feedback directed to Comcast.   I doubt if he's a Comcast employee. I did.

FYI, if a user name is in RED  that person IS a Comcast employee.

Regular Contributor

Queen,

His username was in RED so he may be

New Poster

This is pretty shady.  Get with the program Xfinity and support devices other than my phone.  I'm tired of empty promises and I have started my search for a new provider.  

Contributor

Everybody needs to start complaining on their Facebook page

http://www.facebook.com/xfinity#!/xfinity?sk=wall

Frequent Visitor

I agree on posting to the facebook wall, it's the best way to show that there are serious numbers of customers who are outraged about this.  To anyone who thinks Xfinity is deleting facebook posts, they arent:  Xfinity has its facebook wall set to default to show only posts by Xfinity.  At the top of the wall, on the right, you need to click the "Everyone (most recent)" link, and you'll see your own post, as well as everyone else's who has posted about this today.

Cheers

Frequent Visitor

Agreed. I have been pretty diplomatic up until today. They really got under my skin. I say FLOOD their FB pages with your complaints!!!!

New Poster

Xbox 360. Hbo go

Customer cares team. :
As much as we pay for service I would hope that you consider your customers when choosing not to allow HBO go on the xbox 360. Please tell me if there will be access soon. Why make it available online but not through xbox. There are currently many dissatisfied customers because of this decision.
Frequent Visitor

I beg to differ.  I mentioned that I had a previous run in with a Comcast surrogate who was explaining erroneously about their changes in their email product.   He didn't know what he was talking about and I challenged him.  His Moniker was in RED.

After calling him out on several of his mistakes (perhaps too strongly) a Comcast employee came to the thread.  He was a Moderator.  He chastized me for not having compassion for one of their customers that troll the boards to try and alleviate customer problems.   Perhaps these customers are getting a dscount for their efforts while they allowed a guy to respond that didn't know what he was talking about.   I then complained to the moderator for Comcast placing a customer in a position that makes him appear as a Customer Service Rep who responds to concerns without having the proper credentials or information, the moderator threatened to block me from posting.  

So, your assumption may or may not be correct. I any cnase his comments did nothing but infuriate more customers...   which would not be a typical response from a true employee.  Since the Facebook approach only leads to deletions of customer's messages, perhaps they're implying that the complaints needs to be focused on the issue and not made into on a public forum.   The option of 'reporting Inappropriate content' keeps the issue focused, and as well, focused on their ill advised responses.

Frequent Visitor

Yes I've posted a complaint regarding Roku and HBO Go streaming on Comcast's Facebook page and it was deleted.  They don't want to lose potential customers.  Some may think that's the way to spark their interest by exposing them, but it's their 'public' page and they can do what they want with it.

This is one place where 'only' existing customers can voice their complaints.  I've also called them and used their chat option.  If enough of us complain directly to Comcast maybe they'll do something.  

Frequent Visitor

Add me to the list of frustrated Comcast customers who have a Roku box.  Comcast, I pay you enough money a month. I can watch HBO GO on my phone and iPad, why not Roku?

New Poster

Re: HBO NO Go?

Because you can watch it on TV instead of on other devices. HBO GO offers everything and Xfinity OnDemand just few things regarding HBO. Comcast doesn't loose anything just might make some customers mad since other providers are already there

New Poster

I agree! Comcast has some old school managers making decisions and they do not understand technology these days. For example If you check the DVR features like Ethernet connection to share recordings, expanding your HardDrive capacity via eSata - Comcast has no clue they this features don't wirk even though they promote it in user manuals.

Contributor

Everyone that posts here, PLEASE take the time to post a complaint on Xfinity/Comcast's Facebook page and/or Twitter feed.  If you have the time, CALL THEM and complain.  Posters are right when they say the execs at Comcast never/rarely look at these forums, and the employees from Comcast who post here (like Joe) are just low-on-the-totem-pole employees who are given the "company line" to post and really have no idea what we're talking about, or any real influence in the company to change things.

I encourage EVERYONE to post at least once a week (if you can, every day!) on one of the above sites.  Comcast is hoping after a few weeks, we'll stop complaining - we have to make sure we keep this issue on the front burner and bombard them with so many complaints that they'll change their policy. 

New Poster

I'm considering cancelling xfinity because it doesn't support his feature.  Why not??????

New Poster

PLEASE FIX THIS XFINITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

@mttobe wrote:

Why isn't HBO GO supported on the Roku?

Per the HBO GO activation page:

"Comcast XFINITY does not support HBO GO on Roku Streaming Players.

For further assistance, please contact Comcast XFINITY.
Comcast XFINITY supports HBO GO on other devices.
Visit hbogo.com on your computer to learn more.."

Comcast AND HBO are about to lose my money if this remains the case.

Work this out and FIX IT!

-P

Regular Contributor

An interesting new verbal supporter, Reed Hasting President of Netflix posted on Facebook (click to go to his post), funny how he believes HBO to be his biggest rivel but he still wants his HBOGO on his Roku and XBOX. He has hit all the right points.

I want my HBO GO. 

When I try to use HBO GO on my Xbox or on my Roku, I find that Comcast is blocking HBO GO, and won’t let me use HBO GO on these TV-connected devices. 

Comcast: I’m paying you a lot of money for HBO, so please let me watch HBO GO on my TV. 

Once I get HBO GO on my Xbox, then it will be strange that streaming Game of Thrones from the HBO GO app on my Xbox will count against my Comcast internet cap, but when I watch those same Game of Thrones streams through the Comcast app on Xbox, over the same wifi connection to my Xbox, then it will not count against my cap. Hmmm…

New Poster

Can't get Roku Streaming?

Is Comcast not giving this option??

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Can't get Roku Streaming?

Roku will work with NetFlix, HulaPlus, Pandora and the other video suppliers but not HBO to Go. 

Frequent Visitor

I posted this is the XBox/HboGo Thread

https://www.facebook.com/ComcastUnblockHboGoForRokuAndXbox?ref=tn_tnmn

I started a page on Facebook. Maybe we can get some numbers and become the squeaky wheel

Regular Visitor

I spoke with a rep online from DirectTV today and was told not only do they support the HBO Go if I switch from comcast they will look in the price for the entire two years of the contract.

So make sure you talk to them ONLINE and not via phone because they said that is only available online.

Comcast doesn't deserve our business if they won't allow us access to something we pay for.

Contributor

The guy you talked to at DirecTV didn't know what he was talking about.  They offer the same authorization as Comcast which includes mobile and desktop computers, NO ROKU!  If it isn't listed on the hbogo activate page, it isn't going to work.  Dish is the only satellite provider that allows the ROKU to connect. See the following: http://www.hbogo.com/activate

Frequent Visitor

My son says there is an app on the Xbox 360 for Xfinity and he can watch Hbogo from there. but not an actual HBO Go app.

Regular Contributor

The Xfininity app is only the normal Comcast OnDemand service with limited HBO content.

I watched a demo of HBO GO and its like having a BR Disc of the shows with behind the scenes and director/ cast commentary. HBO GO is FAR FAR SUPERIOR.

New Poster

I'm disappointed that comcast has blocked this.  I guess thats one more reason to go all appletv.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor
Regular Contributor

@ComcastJoe wrote:

@KiloWattson wrote:

Oh hey. Comcast won't let you use HBOGo on the 360 as well.

Well that was the final straw. Cancelling today.

Xfinity has a new app for Xbox 360 that will allow customers to watch content through their Xbox 360.

Thanks,
Joe
XfinityTV.com/Xfinity.com Support
@TWITTER: @XfinityTVJoe

The Xfinity APP is same as the stuff on a normal cable box. Its too limited. The HBO GO app allows for all episodes of HBO Content. Xfinity Doesnt...

Regular Contributor

Its not like comcast / xfinity wont make any less money from the people paying for hbo from them. They will just be watching it through the roku. and since there is more available on hbo go, it may cause people to not cancel it through comcast. It makes no sense. who the heck wants to watch this on the internet ?
Id rather watch it on the 42" flat screen.   use your head comcast. you could lose a lot of customers.
Contributor

Comcast has come to an agreement to allow Xbox users access to HBO GO!  Word is access could be given as soon as this weekend.  Certainly sometime this month.  Sadly, no news yet on the Roku or Web-enabled TVs, but this is a big win for Comcast customers.

http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/04/04/hbo-go-is-coming-to-an-xbox-near-you-via-comcast/

New Poster

This is ridiculous! How is it I pay almost $20/month for HBO and I can't use my comcast/xfinity account to access HBOGO on my ROKU!!!!!?????!!!!! I travel and that is why I use the ROKU, IT's not like I can pick up my cable box and carry it around the country and still get service! I don't care if I have DVR, or ON DEMAND, I'd Like to watch it when I want to watch it, not have it piled up on my box for when I get home, because then I don't have time, I'm with my family and trying to make up for lost time! COMCAST YOU NEED TO MAKE IT AVAILABLE ON HBOGO!!!!

New Poster

I'm very disappointed about this matter. I bought a Roku so I could watch Game of Thrones Season 1 with my family to catch up for Season 2... had no idea that Comcast wouldn't allow this. I could still watch it on my PC, sure, but my Roku's potential remains untapped thanks to Comcast.

It was a step in the right direction to bring the service to XBox. Please continue by bringing it to the Roku.

Regular Visitor

Unlike my laptop and Android phone (both of which can stream via HBO Go) the Roku (and the Xbox) work through TVs.  As does another device:  The cablebox.  That puts accessing content via a Roku in direct competition with using the On Demand via a cable box.  I'm sure Comcast would LOVE to block Netflix and Hulu and Vudu on the Roku as those services definitely eat into its On Demand revenue stream.  So the reticence to allow HBO Go on the Roku is not completely out of whack.  While browsing the HBO content via On Demand, you are far more likely to consider ordering paid content through Comcast.  If you can access HBO content through a Roku, especially using HBO Go, it would reduce the amount of time you spend browsing On Demand yes?

That is most likely Comcast's motivation.  

Regular Visitor

MUST read for anyone following this post.  I mean a MUST read.

http://www.economist.com/node/21526314

Regular Contributor

Sorry, but I will dissagree with you there. Xfinitys on demand is totally void of anything current or good. Even the hbo on demand has movies on there from the 1970s. And lets face it. Unless you are a total recluse, you wouldnt spend the rediculous money they charge (i have seen some as high as $8) for a movie from on demand, when you can travel to the closest redbox or blockbuster kiosk for $1 a night. Since comcast went to xfinity they have taken a giant leap backwards in customer services. I remember when a show that was aired yesterday would be on demand today. Now some of my favorite shows are a month behind, and i wont even mention the channels they took off of on demand (like bbc america, one of my favorites) . If xfinity hbo on demand had the same content as hbo go this conversation wouldnt even be happening. Instead, xfinity doenst only water it down, they dry it up. I dont buy the lost revenue stuff.
Gold Problem Solver

@vincent228 wrote:
Sorry, but I will dissagree with you there. Xfinitys on demand is totally void of anything current or good. Even the hbo on demand has movies on there from the 1970s. And lets face it. Unless you are a total recluse, you wouldnt spend the rediculous money they charge (i have seen some as high as $8) for a movie from on demand, when you can travel to the closest redbox or blockbuster kiosk for $1 a night. Since comcast went to xfinity they have taken a giant leap backwards in customer services. I remember when a show that was aired yesterday would be on demand today. Now some of my favorite shows are a month behind, and i wont even mention the channels they took off of on demand (like bbc america, one of my favorites) . If xfinity hbo on demand had the same content as hbo go this conversation wouldnt even be happening. Instead, xfinity doenst only water it down, they dry it up. I dont buy the lost revenue stuff.

Whatever is available via On Demand has nothing to do with Comcast. The networks decide what is released for On Demand and when it is released.  I do agree with you that there is an over abundance of old movies-not just on HBO but also on the other premium channels.

Regular Contributor

then the comment previously made regarding "comcast losing revenue from allowing HBO GO to be on the roku, instead of watching the limited content provided to xfinitys On Demand" is not true ? and if that is not true, what is the reason comcast/xfinity will not allow roku to stream hbo go through comcast? Comcast still gets paid each month for my HBO service. What stops comcast from allowing it, if it doesnt affect revenue ? especially since the cable provider one town over (cox) does allow the roku to stream HBO Go. Is it any wonder that u-verse from ATT has taken such a strong hold lately ? I appreciate your spokesmanship for comcast. But no one on this forum understands why comcast/xfinity is not allowing the streaming , when so many others are.   

Regular Contributor

And now XBOX is allowed to use the HBOGO app not just the Xfinity APP

Come on Comcast one down just two to go ROKU and SMARTV

New Poster

Add my name to this list of angry customers! 

I am paying for HBO and xfinity high speed service I should be able to see watch this through all our devices. We have a roku in the art studio and my fiancee would love to watch game of thrones in the background. This is ridiculous Comcast fix this fast or we are switching.  

Frequent Visitor

About a week ago, I canceled my HBO and scaled down my television package through Comcast. I bought someone I knew with ATT Uverse HBO and worked out a deal with them, and now I'm enjoying GO on Roku.

So don't believe that it is just a targeted business decision. They are losing subscribers for their myopia. I'm one of them. If you don't give people what they want, they will find a way to get it anyway.

Regular Contributor

what a great point. I pay comcast for cable, phone and internet. if i am streaming my netflix and roku through comcasts internet, WHAT ARE THEY LOSING ??? !!!!  with the exception of customers of course.

New Poster

Comcast; You lied to me again!!!

I called Comcast today asking about adding more sports to my account.  In the meantime Trey the sales guy sales me the protection plan and HBO.  I just got me a Roku last week and noticed that HBO Go was on there.  I glanced thru "browse HBO Go" and noticed it had a lot of good stuff that I would like to see.  So I ask my sales person Trey if if I could get HBO Go and he explained to me how to get it.  I ask Trey if I would be able to use it on my iphone and my Roku.  Trey told me that I can get HBO Go on any device that can pull it up and then said and I quote verbatim "you will not have any problem with your iphone or Roku".  Guess what Comcast?  Comcast DOES NOT ALLOW you to receive HBO Go on the Roku.  Maybe you should train your sales people to be trueful with your customers or at least they should ask someone if they do not know the answer.  But I guess a sale is a sale right?  I thought it was something I was doing wrong so I found this forum and also found out that I had been lied to.  I have the Xfinity triple play which I will soon change to Dish Network, cell phone and DSL for my services.

New Poster

Re: Comcast; You lied to me again!!!

I hate you Comcast.  I just got a Roku to watch HBO Go.  I really need to cancel my service with Comcast.

Regular Visitor

i have e enjoyed hbo go so much on my phone that i bought a roku. was i upset. i did see i could get it if i had verizon. it will be my next move. i have 2 homes with triple play. paying close to 500 a month. they lose.

Expert

The following is a list of television providers that have authorized HBO GO on Roku:

• ATT U-verse
  • Bend Broadband
  • Blue Ridge Communications
  • Charter
  • Cox
  • Dish Network
  • Grande Communications
  • HTC Digital Cable
  • Massillon Cable/Clear Picture
  • Mediacom
  • Midcontinent Communications
  • Optimum
  • RCN
  • Suddenlink
  • Verizon FiOS
  • WOW!

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

Cox cable stops litterally 2 miles from my house at the town line. if you can tell me what the difference between comcast and cox is, i will drop the complaints. but the reality is "there is zero difference between the way the 2 companies operate their cable systems. except for the fact that cox gives you what you need, and comcast doesnt only "not care", but ignores your requests to boot.

New Poster

I was suprised that comcast didn't offer the roku streaming.. and just as surprised to see that verizon does.. Another point for maybe switching to fios.  Before checking here I called comcast to see if it was just ANOTHER service I needed to add and was told that comcast doesn't offer hbo go for roku,, the operator suggested I return the Roku!.  I then muttered something about verizon offering it and the operator actually said "yeah you can"

Needless to say I'm looking verizon now,, have always wanted FIOS anyway.!

New Poster

Agreed. I want HBOGO on my Roku. It's starting to upset me that Comcast is dragging their feet. Let's get it done.

Regular Visitor

@vincent228

Yah, you're right.  My logic is lame.  I have absolutely no idea why they don't support the Roku and it is so frustrating.

GOT is on in two nights.  I can stream it on my laptop which has a very nice HD display but the streaming quality goes in and out.  HD streaming on the Roku, be it Netflix, Amazon Instant or Hulu is quick to buffer and stays stable for hours.  I have a Sony Blu Ray player that also streams but the load times for streaming are a good minute longer than the Roku.  All told, the Roku has proven to offer the best overall quality when it comes to streaming video.  Again very frustrating Comcast/Xfinity does not support the devices.

Frequent Visitor

Comcast Roku Support

Hello,

I recently bought a roku set-top box to replace my tv cable box (i dont watch actual tv very much in my room). I am subscribed to HBO and other channels and I was attempting to set up HBOgo but apparently Comcast doesnt support Roku boxes receiving subscription services. Is comcast going to add support for Roku anytime soon? I can live without it but it is kind of disappointing that I cant use my paid services to their full extent.

Frequent Visitor

The only conclusion I can come to, vis-a-vis this ridiculous HBOGO/ROKU limitation, is that Comcast is trying to control our viewing experience, their expenditure on network resources and the overall conformance to their business model.   The problem is that, of course, it can get worse from here.

I know that there are alternatives in my neighborhood for TV and Internet, and I have no contract, and if all these guys want to do is compete at being the lesser evil, then fine, but it doesn't have to be this way. 

New Poster

HBOtogo on Roku

I see that comcast does not allow for HBO To GO service on Roku devices, whereas this is allowed for XBox360 and web browsers.  Are there any plans to correct this oversight?