Community Forum

ROKU, HBO GO

Contributor

Re: ROKU, HBO GO

Here's another good place to voice your concerns to Comcast, go to the Comcast Blog and there is a point where you can post a comment

blog.comcast.com/contact_us.html

Frequent Visitor

I tell you, if Comcast ever does unlock the Roku I can see it easily pushing me over my 250GB limit. Kinda stinks. Limits shouldn't apply during off peak hours. It's not the amount of data that causes the problem.

New Poster

I just signed up for HBO and very disappointed that I cannot use my Roku to view HBO programming.  Add my vote for Comcast allowing viewing to its subscribers with Roku.  I vote with my pocketbook so unless this changes I have lots of other options (I am also a Netflix subscriber).  

Contributor

Re: Roku Users Ask For Xfinity Channel

I'm not holding my breath on Comcast doing the right thing but I'm still hopeful.

Contributor

It's very unlikely you'd go over that limit, as everything on Roku is streaming, not download.  I watch HD stuff on Amazon on Demand all month long, and barely make it to 10 percent of that limit each month.

Frequent Visitor

Cable TV is regulated at the city/local level. Here in Boston we have 2 cable providers, Comcast and RCN, which serve different parts of the city. It's a hold-over from how cable was first placed in neighborhoods. The two cable companies have fought in court to prevent the cables from being used for choice between providers within the city. So, you're stuck on one side of the city with Comcast or RCN and no choice, even though the cables are capable of running both. RCN offers ROKU streaming of HBO Go. Comcast doesn't, but, as a ROKU user, I don't have the option of just switching to RCN. I think this is ridiculous. Where are all these free-market technology people when this happens? I suggest that you contact your local government cable commission about the ROKU issue. I have.

New Poster

Thanks for the reply. I am also considering a swap to FIOS since it will work with that
Contributor

Me, too.

Contributor

While FIOS cable service is comparable to Comcast, I've heard horror stories about their Internet services (not the least of which is you're not allowed to use your own modem and router) and their speeds are unreliable (at least in my area).  So I'd rather keep Comcast and lament not having HBO GO than get FIOS and be able to get it...but have it freeze/lock up all the time because of their internet. 

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Just to add my voice...  I wrote Comcast directly, left them messages, chatted with them, etc all in vain.  They all said they endeavor to make their service valuable blah blah but in the end they're not enabling the service. 

I have therefore canceled my HBO subscription.  Sorry, but without HBO Go access its just not worth the ridiculous $19.95 per month they want from me.

Contributor

So basically you're taking money away from the company that is trying to provide you a service and still providing it to the company that isn't. 

New Poster

yes i to am and was dissappointed after constantly paying $157.00 and i then did the math per month $40 for att.net $8 for netflix , $1.66 for magicjack $1.00 for redbox, not bad well it gets better.free crackle, free hulu, free popcorn flix,cnn,fox,and so much more for free i have 1 t.v. that has cable and it is soon going bye,bye giving me a savings of $110.00 per month which will pay for a dvr and a dvd recorder wifi ready and i own it all i have had the comcast packages for over 4 years so i figure over the next 4yrs i`ll save $5280 and replace all my t.v.`s with wifi and computer built in and the nolonger have any need for comcast.

New Poster

Re: Roku and Xfinity

ADD ROKU Support for HBOgo or I am leaving!

Contributor

Re: Roku and Xfinity

Just got a killer deal on a Logitech Revue with Google TV and how interesting to see HBO Go supported by Comcast?  It's pretty much running just like PC Browser version and not quite a good as you get on the ROKU but it's still a connected to TV device.  Logitech is dumping these because their CEO decided to get out of the Google TV category and I picked one up for $80, very cool but not as enabled as the ROKU.

New Poster

I would like to add my vote for Xfinity to support Roku devices. How hard can it be? Do you think anyone is checking this board?

New Poster

Me, too. I see that users have been asking for Roku support since 2008. Come on, Xfinity. Don't be so lame!

New Poster

I have had it with Xfinity. So, after reading your posts I choose to go to the

link provided & let them know how I feel. This is what I wrote.. Short, yet sweet..

I have HBO via xfinity. I see ads on my HBO channels to add HBOGO using my Roku all the time but, when I try to add my Roku, Xfinity is NOT one of the providers that support Roku. I pay for my HBO subscription.
I do not understand why other companies are adding way to use other devices besides a TV with a box from a cable company yet, Xfinity has yet to follow through with this promise. I will GLADLY switch to another provider since that is VERY possible with Verizon & other Dish networks as well.
There is a reason you are loosing customers. We pay for service & we expect it. If you can't keep up with our requests then you SHOULD have a disclaimer listed on the advertisements on HBO when they show the Roku box as a way to get HBOGO.
signed,
One of many very unhappy paying subscribers that have HAD IT!

Sure I could have posted a very long letter letting them know of all the times they have NOT

provided the best customer service or better yet, any service. I decided to keep it short for now
I think when we "DROP" Xfinity as a cable provider then we will speak in volumes. I will NOT

like a slower running internet so that alone may take us a while to finally pull the plug.

Regardless, I will NOT watch tv via my laptop. That is just crazy! I'll find other ways to watch HBO.

I just hope SOMEONE gets through to them.. What a shame they care more about the $ then they do their customers that provide the $. They, my friends are NO different then plenty of other companies out there & what a shame that is.

New Poster

So, you support HBO Go on computers, iPad, iPhone, and other mobile devices, but not for Roku? HBO Go offers high-definition streams and I have to watch that on a smallish laptop screen or tinsy mobile device. Ridiculous! I know I could hook my laptop up to my TV to watch it - that's a huge waste though. The HBO Go channel is already created, all you have to do is authenticate our subscriptions. There are already reports out that there is NO contractual reason you can't do this - no extra money out of your pockets.

How about just a tiny bit of customer service for the $100+ bucks we all shell out each month for your very, very overpriced services?

New Poster

It would seem the folks at Comcast are not interested in changing their mind. Smiley Sad My guess is somebody at Comcast has something personal with somebody at Roku.  No other answer makes sense.  Did somebody at Roku step on someone's toe at Comcast? No other explanation makes sense, especially given that I can stream HBO Go to my desktop and not to my Roku.

The silent treatment towards the issue from Comcast reinforces my theory.  I would challenge the folks at Comcast to lay it out on the table.  What issue does Comcast have with Roku when it comes to HBO Go?

Regular Contributor

Directv is the only other subscription tv company blocking roku. Of course I have both.
Regular Visitor

Roku/HBO Go

I would like to request that Comcast support Roku players and HBO Go programming.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Roku/HBO Go

Though it not clear this is primarily a customer to customer forum

Ways to contact Comcast

Contributor

Thanks, I called that number and received a call back in a hour or so.  The person who called back "wanted to inform me that everything in HBO-GO is available with our on demand service" which I did correct her on.....hopefully enough will call so Comcast ads it and I don't have to look for a new provider.

Regular Contributor

I got pretty much the same thing in an email responce, and they went on about XBOX which I do not have. They do not have to do anything out of there way to allow the roku to be accepted.

Contributor

I also called and it sounds like they are starting to get a little upset :-)

The important question to bring up is why do they allow me to authorize HBO GO on my Android Smartphone and PC Desktop and NOT the Roku???

It's obvious that it's a connected to TV device and that bugs them!  Also keep in mind that it's an absolute "no-brainer" for them to turn the capability on for the Roku and doesn't require any new contracts or such from HBO. 

Frequent Visitor

With so many posts showing the need for Comcast to ugrade to Roku (and other 'smart' devices like Internet TVs) it's amazing that Comcast hasn't made the move to be a technology leader.  They seem to have been left in the dust by this one.  When I spoke to their online-chat customer service, the technician seemed to be unaware what HBO Go Roku even was.  An email to the HBO go people (hbogo.com) asking if Comcast and HBO Go / Roku / Internet TV was in the works said we should all request this directly from Comcast.   I sent a letter to Comcast two days ago, but have not heard back. Too bad.

Contributor

They won't authorize because the Roku competes with their other plans such as supporting the new Xbox streaming.  I wouldn't doubt that Microsoft asked them not to support the Roku.  This whole thing really smells because we all pay for HBO and they are getting their money from us and passing a share on to HBO so Comcast can dictate how we watch it??  DirecTV did the same thing, very stupid move on their part because I would sign up to DTV in a minute and cancel.  Dish supports the Roku but their service doesn't compare.

Frequent Visitor

HBO Go is also available for Internet ready TVs but Comcast is not listed as one of the TV providers that support it.   It looks like the future is here without Comcast.

New Poster

I got a response to a Facebook post.  My interpretation of the post leads me to believe Comcast wants to protect their own streaming through the link to xfinity.net.  If we all get to use the Roku we won't be using the Comcast website.  For some reason it would seem this matters to Comcast.  But at least I got an answer.  I don't think you should hold your breath for Comcast to give in on this one.  Hopefully HBO will move away from cable provider authentication when they get a new contract.  But for now the corporate giant takes their monopoly territories to the extreme. 

Frequent Visitor

Too bad.   Xfinity.net and HBO Go are two completely different animals.  With Xfinity.net you need a device like a PC, tablet, smart phone, etc. with an Internet operating system that provides an engine to stream only on those devices...  not on TV where it belongs.   Watching TV on a computer, tablet, or smart phone via Xfinity.net is the pits when you have a HD large screen TV.   Using a large TV a computer for a computer monitor is also the pits.  

With Roku or an Intenet TV you just stream all the HBO shows that Comcast has already made possible to view through Xfinity.net.  Why Comcast would want to limit access is foolish.  Comcast's On Demand is exteremely limited in its content..  not only HBO content but movies as well.  That's why there's a move to streaming movies through a Roku via Amazon, Blockbuster, Netflix, etc.

New Poster

Add me to list of customers who want Comcast to add a "channel" on the Roku for Xfinity Tv.   If you want to satisfy the greatest number of customers, the roku addition should be given priority.

thanks

Frequent Visitor

I think they may be worrying about bandwidth. If we all switched to using these devices it could affect them. Understandable but what do they expect when they charge so much for a cable box rental.

New Poster

Xfinity on Roku

Is it too much to ask for Xfinity to be on the Roku box?

Frequent Visitor

Re: Xfinity on Roku

?

Frequent Visitor

This makes no sense.  Why would Comcast choose to make things difficult for their customers by not allowing access to HBOGO via Roku?  

1. HBOGO cannot be accessed by anyone who doesn't subscribe to HBO through a cable tv provider. So, customers won't drop cable for HBOGO.

2.  Comcast already allows access to HBOGO via my phone, pad and laptop.

3.  All Comcast needs to do is give their permission.  From what I can tell, there are no technical issues involved.

Contributor

Seems pretty obvious that at this point they have no plans to support HBO Go on Roku boxes.  They consider Roku competition and are working with Microsoft on Xbox 360 support.   If you want HBO Go on Roku go to U-verse (if available) or Dish.

Up until this I had been very happy with Xfinity/Comcast but this is very short-sighted and disappointing...

Frequent Visitor

Comcast is in competition with all the TV providers HBO Go lists on their site needed for activation.  One would think Comcast would want to be competitive and not be left behind...  especially by Verizon Fios.  This is one of the responses I got from Comcast for the HBO Go connection issue with Roku and Internet ready televisions.  The prior responses seemed to show their Customer Service people never heard of this issue, nor did they understand the mechanics of the problem.  Even in this response the rep confused HBG Go with ALL Xfinity content... and confused it with a needing app that Comcast has to develop.  It's ALL HBO Go and your Roku or Internet TV

My name is xxxx and I am more than pleased to assist you with your Roku for HBOGo follow up.
I understand that you would like to suggest having Comcast Xfinity App being available on Roku device. I know how important it is for you to let us know what you want for an ultimate video experience using the most advance technology. I will do my best to provide you with information that may address your suggestion on HBOGo on Roku device. Thank you for letting us know what is important to you; that is, to watch video through your roku device. Comcast do not stop its Xfinity Mobile App VOD streaming to Android and Xbox 360. Rest assured that you will expect more from Xfinity Mobile App in the near future. We are heading to develop apps to PS3, Wii, Roku and other connected TV platforms. Let us know how we can improve your cable experience through Forums_Feedback@comcast.com
Thank you for your suggestion on how we can further improve our Xfinity platform, Dan. In respect to improving customer satisfaction, rest assured that your suggestion will be noted for consideration.
Comcast receives many ideas and suggestions for our review. We take and review each and every idea seriously. We always welcome the suggestions and ideas of our valued customers. We appreciate the interest taken by you in submitting to us the idea/suggestion.
Should you have any other inquiries, you may send back an email or you may contact us through chat. Our representatives are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to assist you:

Frequent Visitor

There is a monopoly dimension in this issue which no authority wishes to touch. I recommend writing to the FCC and your local cable commission. Cable is regulated locally by local government. I have written to the Boston Cable Office and received no reply yet. I intend to write a second email and call to follow up. Since you cannot choose an alternative hardwire coaxial broadband cable provider in most markets, this is unfair trade practice. Perhaps the FTC should also be contacted. If the laws were changed to grant access to all coaxial cable lines to all cable providers everywhere, this issue wouldn't exist. There would be real competition. Verizon Fios is not an option in homes that are not wired for DSL-fiberoptics. Why should a person have to rewire their house to access content that is already in their coaxial cable?

Regular Contributor

The truely sad thing is that since they already authorize GoogleTV, PC/Laptops, phones, tablets, and other devices, to allow Roku is either someone sending an email or checking a check box on thier end. 

Regular Visitor

Add me to the list of angry customers who want Comcast to support HBO Go on Roku devices.  I tried calling Comcast Support and asking if there was a good reason why they do not support HBO Go on Roku devices.  The support representative did not have a reason and said he had several requests in the last week for Roku support.  Let's hope Comcast comes to their senses and adds support for HBO Go on Roku devices.

Here is a copy of the email I sent to Comcast Support (sent via http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/account/ways-to-get-help/):

"When will Comcast support HBO Go on Roku devices?!? Other television providers offer this service, such as AT&T U-verse, Charter, Dish, Verizon and more. It seems to me with millions of subscribers, it would make sense for Comcast to support HBO Go on Roku devices.

There is already a long conversation on your own support forum of Comcast customers asking for HBO Go support on Roku devices (http://forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-Online-Help/ROKU-HBO-GO/td-p/1100271).

What's even worse, according to GigaOM (http://gigaom.com/video/hbo-go-for-roku-comcast-directv/), there is no technical or contractual/licensing limitations to supporting HBO Go on Roku devices.

The promise of HBO Go on my mobile devices (iPad & iPhones) and Roku device was one of the main reasons why I decided to purchase both a Roku and HBO subscription. Without full support of all devices, including Roku, I will not continue my HBO subscription.

So I ask again, why does Comcast not support HBO Go on Roku devices?"

Frequent Visitor

From HBO Go dot com

Q.
Does my television provider offer HBO GO on Internet Connected TV devices?
A.
HBO GO is only available through participating television providers.  On Roku devices, the following television providers offer HBO GO free as part of your HBO subscription: AT&T U-Verse TV, Charter, Cox, DISH Network, Massillon Cable/CPI, RCN, Suddenlink, Verizon FiOS and WOW!.

Q.
Will I have to pay an additional fee for using HBO GO on my Roku device?
A.
No, HBO GO is free as part of your HBO subscription and is available through participating television providers.
Q.
How do I activate or pair HBO GO on an Internet Connected TV device?
A.
  • 1) Download HBO GO from the app store or marketplace of your device.
  • 2) Launch HBO GO on your device.
  • 3) Click the 'Activate Your Device' button – the next screen should show you your activation code.
  • 4) Navigate to www.hbogo.com/activate
  • 5) Select your TV provider.
  • 6) On the Activate a Device screen, enter the code displayed on your television (from step 3), click the 'Activate' button.
  • 7) You should see a 'Success!' message on both your television and your browser.
  • 8) You are ready to start streaming video on HBO GO!
Q.
I have been using HBO GO for some time and I have been presented with a message that asks me to reactivate my device. Why do I need to do this?
A.
Some television providers require users to re-authorize their HBO devices periodically. Please follow the prompts on your television screen for more details.
Q.
I use HBO GO on my computer and mobile device, why doesn't my TV Provider support HBO GO on my Internet Connected TV device?
A.
Currently, not all HBO TV Providers are supporting HBO GO on Internet Connected TV devices. HBO GO is always adding TV Providers to the list, so check back soon.
Q.
I have additional questions about HBO GO on Roku. How can I get help?
A.
Please email HBO directly at contacthbogo@hbo.com
For additional help, please visit hbogo.com/#help on your computer.

Frequent Visitor

good job networks.  I think you have probably captured the problem.  I will not hold my breath waiting for HBO go to appear in my on demand choices.  Is there another streaming gadget besides the Roku (Sony maybe?) that will let Comcast HBO subscribers watch on a TV? 

New Poster

Comcast,

As a subscription member of HBO and Roku owner I'm very dissapointed that I can't access HBO GO on my Roku device.  Roku is a huge part of my entertainment experience and as technology advances Comcast must advance with it.  Other carriers big and small have met the media streaming demand and provided access via Roku.  What is keeping you from doing the same?  The demand for streaming media will grow and as a paying customer I would like Comcast to provide access.  Please consider supporting Roku and existing customers by providing this service. 

Regular Contributor

Regular Contributor

Steve GoogleTV from Sony and Logitech (search for a Logitech unit for $99) have authorized for me. Would prefer my Roku but it's OK.
Contributor

Steven, yes there are other ways of getting HBO GO.  Currently, I receive it with another device, Google TV with the Spotlight app will work.  They pretty much just resemble the same as a desktop browser experience.  I own the Logitech Revue which has been discontinued by Logitech and there are some really good deals out there right now because it's getting closed out.  I've seen HBO GO on a Roku work and the Roku experience is much better then Google TV but it works with your Comcast login just like using on a PC.

Frequent Visitor

tw, thanks but I'm intrigued by your last sentence: "I've seen HBO GO on a Roku work and the Roku experience is much better then Google TV but it works with your Comcast login just like using on a PC."

Are you saying that it IS possible to watch HBO GO on a Roku?  The dozens of earlier posts and my own failed attempts, including logging in with my Xfinity/Comcast ID suggest otherwise.  Just to clear, I have no access problems with my laptop or Droid...

Contributor

Hey Steven,  My son lives on the other side of our state and is on Charter cable and he has a Roku and it works great. I'm so bummed that I can't get it and it's so much better than Comcast HBO On Demand.  I have a droid phone (Motorola Droid 2 Global) and have no problems with HBO GO and same for all of my Win 7 PC's work fine with the Comcast logins.  You must be doing something wrong?  Need to call a support person at Comcast, well good luck there!  Sounds like you have some sort of authenication problem with your account?

Frequent Visitor

Steven.  What you say is absolutely correct.  If Comcast is your television provider you cannot get HBO Go streamed to your television using your Roku.   And, as you say, with Comcast as your televison provider you can get HBO Go on any computer (your laptop) or Android device (using an app).

If somone is saying they get HBO Go using their Roku, then they do not have Comcast as their televsion provider.  HBO Go states very clearly on their website which televison providers support Roku.  Comcast does not. Comcast is not listed. HBO Go also states on their website that if you want HBO Go to work with your Roku then you must contact your television provider (Comcast).

Most of us (if not all of us) want to watch HBO Go on their HD big screen televisions.  There are occassions when we might want to (or have to) watch HBO on a computer or on an even smaller screen Android, but that's certainly not the preferred way in most circumstances.  Comcast is missing what their customers want. 

Contributor

I was making some changes to my TV service with Comcast and yet again thought I would be stupid and asked about HBO Go and Roku. I was actually told they are working on getting Comcast users access to HBO Go on our Roku boxes. I ain't holding my breath because I would have passed out ages ago. Comcast must think we are all pretty stupid if they think we'll believe they are working on getting us access. I so wish I could get rid of Comcast, but I have to have it as part of my apartment lease.