Community Forum

On Demand Purchasing Now Available on Xfinity Stream Web Portal

Official Employee

On Demand Purchasing Now Available on Xfinity Stream Web Portal

Effective August 1, 2018, Xfinity TV customers can now buy or rent On Demand content from the Xfinity Stream web portal on desktops and laptops. Previously, purchases could only be made from the TV Box.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Tags (1)
New Poster

Re: On Demand Purchasing Now Available on Xfinity Stream Web Portal

So now we have to pay to watch on Demand????

New Poster

I do not want to pay for Shows on the go that were previous part of our plan.  What the heck, are you kidding me?

Official Employee

That’s just giving you the Option to purchase something you couldn’t before, nothing else has changed.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

Yea it has changed, it is a real pain to find movies that aren't rent or buy. Most movies I click on are rent or buy which I do not want.

Very frustrating.

Expert

@webuser99 wrote:

Yea it has changed, it is a real pain to find movies that aren't rent or buy. Most movies I click on are rent or buy which I do not want.

Very frustrating.

there is a filter on the right side when you browse movies.. tick the box free to me

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

Setting the filter seems to work.

Thank you.

New Poster

I have been a customer of Comcast and Xfinity for many years.  I have Xfinity Blast Internet Pro, which should give me 150 to 250 Mbps at great cost.  I have not seen any speed above 44Mbps since I got this lack of service.    Xfinity Stream has been slow and combersome and now they say I have to pay extra for episodes or a Series?  Excuse me, I pay $146 per month for this new way of doing business.  This is no way to treat an established customer of over 7 years.  X1 TV is the same.  I think I will go back to AT@T or to Dish Network or even to a Satalite Company.

Contributor

My issue is that with the old system there would be certain shows, say "Seinfeld", "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia", or "The Office" that would have a random 5-10 episdoes available for streaming for free and would continuously rotate. That was nice and only Comcast offered it for its subscribers. Now this is gone for all these shows and instead all seasons are up and all episodes have a fee. I have not found a way for streaming tv to filter for free episodes. I know for the shows I listed all of the episodes are pay. This is now like having any other pay streaming service.

"Cheers" all the episodes had been up for free. Now they are all pay. At least on streaming service X that is one of their free selections. Somehow "Simpsons" is still all free so I take it maybe this had somehthing to do with networks but it definitely is a downgrade IMO from something that was exclusively Comcast.

Edit: I take it this is also the system on regular X1 TV now so you can't just watch a random Office episode for no additional fee there anymore either.

Contributor

I can't find my old posts so I am reposting here:

@Rustyben wrote:

you have to dig to find the 'free' episodes currently available (season 2). episodes rotate with the current broadcast syndication.

That's my entire complaint with the new system. I thought it was because of some deal with the networks. If I can still get the episodes that are periodically rotated in/out then great.

So I went to S2. I am assuming that the episodes that say an airdate instead of "Buy" underneath and have a white play button on them are free. However when I click the three dots the "Buy" option comes up and it offers me the episode for $2.99. If I click the white play button I get a diagnostic error that says "Error player.noPlayableID"

Edit: Okay it worked once. There is still the "Buy" dialogue so it is confusing but the episodes play if I ignore that and just push the white play button (hopefully I was not charged anyway I'm guessing it would ask my PIN). Tried again after a few minutes and got the error message again and am now getting it repeatedly. Now I know there was a change made where the first few episodes of new series are free. So if I go to "Who is America" or "The Simpsons" (fully free) and click the three dots there is no "Buy" dialogue. I understand the episodes rotate in/out so maybe next week that Seinfeld episode will be purchase only but am not sure if this is a bug or not. Maybe not because it gives the user the option to own  the episode or just stream it.

Edit 2: I am able to load multiple different episdoes of "Who is America" or "Simpsons" with no problem. Syndication type episodes that we are talking about are not playing. 

Would it be possible to again escalate the issue for filtering features because this digging is ridiculous. Can we get a filter that will make it so just those episodes will appear? Also, could you mention the issue with playing free syndication episodes?

Thanks for all your time and help. If needed I can PM the diagnostic info.

Expert

@logengr wrote:

I have been a customer of Comcast and Xfinity for many years.  I have Xfinity Blast Internet Pro, which should give me 150 to 250 Mbps at great cost.  I have not seen any speed above 44Mbps since I got this lack of service.    Xfinity Stream has been slow and combersome and now they say I have to pay extra for episodes or a Series?  Excuse me, I pay $146 per month for this new way of doing business.  This is no way to treat an established customer of over 7 years.  X1 TV is the same.  I think I will go back to AT@T or to Dish Network or even to a Satalite Company.

the owners of the entertainment offer optional episodes on a paid basis. it is your decision if you wish to pay to see them. The 'free' episodes offered are usually those that have just been shown in syndication, and as new episodes are added, the oldest is removed from free list of episodes.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Silver Problem Solver

@logengr wrote:

You might post this in the Home Network forum to get help with your Internet speed issue.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

Ever since this option has become available I have been having an unauthorized user purchasing movies through the streaming app. I have changed my password and had security kick off all the devices and yet I still have purchases being made. How to I stop the option altogether so I'm not waking up to new movie rentals every morning?
Silver Problem Solver

@Sariahcrawley72 wrote:
Ever since this option has become available I have been having an unauthorized user purchasing movies through the streaming app. I have changed my password and had security kick off all the devices and yet I still have purchases being made. How to I stop the option altogether so I'm not waking up to new movie rentals every morning?

My guess is someone knows your xfinity userid and password.  Try changing the password.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Contributor

I see there is an upgraded filter feature which is awesome. Is there any chance the filter can make its way to individual show pages and not just the main Xfinity stream page? So I can parse out "free to me" episodes of a show I like currently running in syndication?

Frequent Visitor

CAN YOU SAY NETFLIX

New Poster

In X-Stream I see that "The Purge" is listed as a movie I viewed. I did not view this movie. Why is it listed in this section?

Frequent Visitor

"That’s just giving you the Option to purchase something you couldn’t before."

This is what the employee said.  So what do mean exactly, something you couldn't before.  Something you couldnt WHAT before, see it or buy it?  Because I could see the last 2 series of Masterpiece's Poldarl but now have to pay to see the ones before!!!  What's the use of offereing them up if we have to pay for them because we are already paying for cable to give them to us!  So you say it's the network?  Then why offer it?  Let them have their own app and you should just charge us for what we can see without paying again!  It's probably cheaper to purchase PbS which is a PUBLIC broadcasting system yet it's not!! 

Give us what we pay for, we can buy the pay programs through iTunes or Google play. 

The agent said it's always been like this and that is just not true.   We joined cable right before 9-11 and there was no purchasing. previous episodes!