Community Forum

No Streaming of Mariners in NW Washington

New Poster

No Streaming of Mariners in NW Washington

Even with subscriptions to MLB and Xtra Innings through Xfinity there is no way to stream the Mariners game when away from home - even in my own backyard ! I was told it is because Root Sports does not have a contract with Xfinity. This is horrible - and terribly unfair for fans who pay for these subscriptions. Please get it together!!

Hers what happens when we tried. We live in NW washington and subscribe to MLB AtBat and are Comcast Xfinity customers with MLB Xtra Innings to watch the SF Giants as well as the Mariners. When we travel we can watch the Giants on MLB or on Xfinity Streaming. But for the Mariners when away from home MLB TV says to login through your cable provider. We log on through Xfinity streaming app and it says you must login through Root Sports. When we login through the Root Sports App it says it is unavailable for your provider (Xfinity). What!!?? Root FAQS suggest you contact Xfinity. I contacted them Root and Xfinity and they both apologize but say Root has no contract with Xfinity (or Dish Network). So it appears we are stuck listening to AtBat. Xfinity and Root YOU NEED TO FIX THIS!!!
New Poster

Re: No Streaming of Mariners in NW Washington

All you have to do to get around this is log into your home DVR, which you can do from anywhere in the world, record the game, (because you can record your paid services from home, and then just watch it (practically live" by playing from your DVR.

Expert

@Cyber49 wrote:

All you have to do to get around this is log into your home DVR, which you can do from anywhere in the world, record the game, (because you can record your paid services from home, and then just watch it (practically live" by playing from your DVR.

the Xfinity X1 home DVR has no access from outside the home. If you have home set top boxes there is no way to set a recording while awy from your home DVR using a web page nor a smart device app. the ability to play recordings while away from home is limited to 'completed' recordings (not in progress of being recorded).

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.
Regular Contributor

Do you subscribe to both MLB.TV on the MLB At Bat app and Xtra Innings? When you say you are traveling, are you traveling outside of the Mariners blackout zone? It seems weird that the MLB.TV is asking you to log in through your cable provider. I think you can have MLB.TV without having a cable provider. I live in Florida. I can watch Mariners games on MLB.TV without logging in to any cable provider. That being said, if you are traveling within the Mariners blackout zone, you cannot watch on MLB.tv and would have to watch on the Root Sports App (and then I understand, you cannot watch). I do not know anything about Xtra Innings, I only have MLB.tv. 

I am curious, are you able to stream Xtra Innings while not on your home internet? I have never thought about getting Xtra Innings because I can watch my home team on TV and watch the out of market games on MLB.tv. 

I totally get your frustration on not being able to watch on the Roots Sports App. I am lucky that Fox Sports and Comcast came to an agreement last year. 

Good luck! 

New Poster

Yes this is still a problem. Today I spoke with a comcast agent who confirms you still cannot stream Root Sports away from your home network. You woud think the mariners would figure out how to let their fans watch their team.