Community Forum

New streaming codec is trash

Regular Visitor

New streaming codec is trash

Adding my voice to the chorus here. I have a high-end computer and no matter what browser I use to try to stream television it's choppy and demanding far great resources than it has any business doing. It's been junk for weeks now. Just revert the thing and cut your losses.

Expert

Re: New streaming codec is trash


@Disgruntled5 wrote:

Adding my voice to the chorus here. I have a high-end computer and no matter what browser I use to try to stream television it's choppy and demanding far great resources than it has any business doing. It's been junk for weeks now. Just revert the thing and cut your losses.


there is a known issue that affects random customers for random amounts of time. It appears that during peak times some servers are at over capacity for programs to be recorded. The errors cause the servers to move customers around to less 'full' servers over time.


I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.
Regular Visitor

Re: New streaming codec is trash

And that has what to do with watching live programs? It's not a bandwidth or "fullness" problem, it's bad encoding. Please stop spreading this misinformation.

New Poster

Re: New streaming codec is trash

 

Agreed.  I has been trash the past few weeks and I wind up just going directly to broadcasters sites to watch shows where I have no issues.

 

Only when watching through Xfinity Streaming does the stuttering happen and makes everything unwatchable.

 

Expert

Re: New streaming codec is trash


@Disgruntled5 wrote:

And that has what to do with watching live programs? It's not a bandwidth or "fullness" problem, it's bad encoding. Please stop spreading this misinformation.


other than for TVgo channels provided streams by 3rd parties, Comcasts streams 720p mpeg4 to your devices (with exception of SD channels 480p). Do you mean the mpeg4 encoding when referring to a codec?


I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.
Regular Visitor

Re: New streaming codec is trash

Yes, it's either that or whatever the streaming site is using to decode that same information. This did not begin until they updated the video overlay. My computer behaves exactly as it would were I to open and play a damaged video file, ie random resource spikes that stutter not only the video itself but my entire computer (observed via input lag, proven with resource monitor). Any video quality, any browser I've tested.

Expert

Re: New streaming codec is trash


@Disgruntled5 wrote:

Yes, it's either that or whatever the streaming site is using to decode that same information. This did not begin until they updated the video overlay. My computer behaves exactly as it would were I to open and play a damaged video file, ie random resource spikes that stutter not only the video itself but my entire computer (observed via input lag, proven with resource monitor). Any video quality, any browser I've tested.


I have escalated your issue to the Comcast Team available to these forums. Check back often for a reply in this thread from a Comcast Official Employee.


I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.
Regular Visitor

Re: New streaming codec is trash

Thanks Rustyben, sorry if I was a bit harsh to you. Just tired of reading all these threads with the same issue where the boilerplate answer doesn't seem to fit with what's happening, even if it's the official line. I appreciate your help in getting more eyes on this problem.

Official Employee

Re: New streaming codec is trash

Hi Disgruntled5, 

 

I can help. Can you please verify your first and last name, and the phone number or account number associated with your services in a private message? 

 

To send a private message click on my name "ComcastChe", then click private message me