Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

License Issue 3338 message on Xfinity TV app

Frequent Visitor

License Issue 3338 message on Xfinity TV app

I have Xfinity X1 DVR with Cloud Services.  I successfully downloaded content recorded on the DVR to my iPad Air (ios 7.1.1) for offline viewing outside of my network.

This morning, on the iPad, with no connection to 4G or Wifi, I began watching the downloaded movie and got though about 37% of the content.  I then closed the app (but did not release it from memory).

I got to my office and made sure I was still not connected to any networks (although it shouldn't matter since it was content downloaded directly to my iPad, not being streamed).

I cannot play the content now.  I get the following message:

License Issue :: 3338.  "This video stream is not playable under the current device conditions.  Please disconnect any external devices and try again".

I tried clearing the app from memory and starting it again, but got the same message.  Again, no external devices are connected and I am not connected to any networks.  The content is on my ipad only which worked on the train and is definitely paired to my account!.

The other day the same thing happened and I got it to work by completely rebooting the iPad, but found that the app does not allow resuming from where you left off when you DO get access to continue watching the content.

So, what is the cause of all this strange behavior, have others encountered it, and is there a work-around?

Thanks!

Frequent Visitor

Re: License Issue 3338 message on Xfinity TV app

Just started getting that too. No idea why, so any help would be great!
Frequent Visitor

I just started getting that too.After message, not viewble on iPad or DVR because it's checked out. Only choice is to delete it.

The app is still buggy.

Frequent Visitor

I received the same message (license issue::3338 (1000942)) when I connected my Ipad running the Xfinity app to my TV using an Apple lightening to HDMI connector. What the heck, why is this???
New Poster

Any solutions yet?
New Poster

They are blocking you from being able to stream it to a TV , they want you to pay for another cable box.
New Poster

How do we get the app unlocked? Why don't they allow an option in the app to pay a fee for streaming to TV. X1 won't allow my sling box to work either,
New Poster

This is a software bugg in the app. If you go toe Comcast internet page on your laptop and watch TV online while hooking this up to your TV you do not get the message. Hence a over eager bug in thesoftware is preventing you from doing the sae using you smartphone or tablet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regular Visitor

A simple fix I am sure from Comcast. But they way they treat us paying customers,  am sure they just don't give a rats a**.

Comc r a p   SCUM of the eart.

Frequent Visitor

I get same error 3338 when tring to stream from my Ipad to Apple TV??? What is going on? That is why I bought the Apple TV box? This is crazy and I wasted my money! I can use an HDMI cable from Android or Windows so why don't they allow this????

Official Employee

paulv1957 wrote:

I get same error 3338 when tring to stream from my Ipad to Apple TV??? What is going on? That is why I bought the Apple TV box? This is crazy and I wasted my money! I can use an HDMI cable from Android or Windows so why don't they allow this????

Its not supported on Apple TV right now. 

Frequent Visitor

Will it work shortly? Can you give us a timeframe? About when?
Official Employee

Don't have a time frame to provide.
New Poster

Comcast - why isn't this allowed on an iPad using the TV app plugged into a tv?   If Comcast offers the app and allows someone with an X1 account to watch tv on the iPad, why won't you allow it to stream when connected to a tv?  I realize you may be inadvertently forcing people to get another box however there are instances when that cannot happen. For example, we have 2 boxes.  In a 3rd room we attempted to use another box however there is no cable coming to that room and we would need an electrician to install a cable down the wall.  That is too expensive and this is a rental.  So we thought connecting the ipad to the tv and stream from the tv app would work but you are blocking this.  Very unfair and you handcuff us.   I think comcast has gotten too big for its britches.   I also think your one line short answers to the questions above me is very uncustimer friendly. You might want to rethink how you answer and help your consumers.  OR you will continue the reputation Comcast has developed in not caring about the customer anymore.  

New Poster

App doesn't work with Chromecast either

Official Employee

Closing old thread