Community Forum

Flash player discontinued by adobe but comcast is still using it.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Flash player discontinued by adobe but comcast is still using it.

In addition to the TV streaming never working since the day it rolled out initially. Comcast continues to use the flash player that most browsers have deactivated by default and can only be turned on with dire security warnings. I am pretty sure most browser makers do not plan to have any flash support for much longer. Well I long ago gave up on the streaming service it never has worked and is not likely to anytime soon. However I was using the online listings until a few minutes ago when It refused to even let me look at the listings unless I turn on the VERY HIGH security risk adobe flash player. Flash is being discontinued. It is no more. Browsers are phasing it out and supporting it less and less. Almost every security expert out there recommends against turning on flash in your browser.
Expert

Re: Flash player discontinued by adobe but comcast is still using it.

@Klawdek wrote:
In addition to the TV streaming never working since the day it rolled out initially. Comcast continues to use the flash player that most browsers have deactivated by default and can only be turned on with dire security warnings. I am pretty sure most browser makers do not plan to have any flash support for much longer. Well I long ago gave up on the streaming service it never has worked and is not likely to anytime soon. However I was using the online listings until a few minutes ago when It refused to even let me look at the listings unless I turn on the VERY HIGH security risk adobe flash player. Flash is being discontinued. It is no more. Browsers are phasing it out and supporting it less and less. Almost every security expert out there recommends against turning on flash in your browser.

if you keep updated on non-chrome adobe flash installations you might be ok. I use chrome and it has integrated sand-boxed flash that is managed by chrome.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

They really need to switch away from Flash ASAP. I don't want to activate Flash in my browser either. 

Silver Problem Solver

I do know one of the browsers will soon ask EVERY TIME if you want to activate Flash. It will no longer allow you to 'remember' if you want to activate it.

Expert

@Wesley_wg wrote:

They really need to switch away from Flash ASAP. I don't want to activate Flash in my browser either. 

use the Chrome browser as it has its own built-in sandboxed flash imbedded into itself. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

I just updated Flash because xfinity streaming asked EVERY TIME I wanted to watch a DVR recording OR watch a life show, thinking that running an outdated flash was the problem. The updated version when running chrome didn't do a darn thing except disallow me to "allow" any specific programs (the option to "allow" was grayed out).  So I uninstalled the updated Flash. At least with the older version I have the option to change the default if I want to.  Still, no matter what I change the default to, I cannot run an xfinity recording without the annoying "click to enable flash" every single time. This is the final straw...have been thinking about canceling xfinity streaming for good (has never worked properly), now it's just pushed me further down that road.  One wonders how a company like this can stay in business. Oh...yeah...monopolies in areas that disallow other service providers...

New Poster

I brought this issue to support still waiting on a answer. As a alternative you can install Pufin on Windows that has flash enabled.
Official Employee

Hello, everyone!. We are currently aware of the situation with Adobe and are looking into moving off of the flash format. At this time we do not have an ETA on when they will be done. We appreciate your continued patience.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

Glad to hear you're working on it, ... but your customers have been asking for it for at least two years [1], and the industry trend has been clear for a few years before that. 

1: https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/TV-Archive/New-tv-xfinity-com-site-should-use-html5-instead-of-flash/t...

Removing the dependance on Flash is an idea well past its prime, and needs more attention than Comcast has given it.

(Never mind that had Comcast moved to an HTML5 solution years ago, cross-platform players would be easier to implement now ... and still waiting for some of those too.)