Community Forum

Entire Laptop Screen Flickers During Xfinity Streaming

Frequent Visitor

Entire Laptop Screen Flickers During Xfinity Streaming

So this started happening a few months ago on my HP Stream 11 laptop and I have not been able to find a solution.  My Square Trade extended warranty is about to expire and I would like to use it if this is a hardware problem, otherwise fix it if it is software, driver or setting related.  The Problem: On any browser, if I am streaming content from Xfinity movies or TV shows "and specifically only when Hardware Acceleration (Also known as GPU Rendering) is turned on", the entire laptop's screen will intermittently start flickering/flashing, not just the browser but the entire screen.  The screen will work fine for a while, then the flickering will start.  Turning off hardware acceleration and restarting the browser always fixes the problem.  Unfortunately turning off hardware acceleration makes streaming video unwatchable because the video then stutters and lags. The Video driver and Graphics Control Panel from HP/Intel are current, as well as all Windows drivers and updates.  Here is the exact problem as shown in the video I made here:

 

https://youtu.be/snlB186EcpM

 

I do not have this issue with YouTube or streaming video from other websites.  My other computers do not exhibit this problem either, just the HP Stream 11 laptop.

 

 

 

 

 

Bronze Problem Solver

Re: Entire Laptop Screen Flickers During Xfinity Streaming


pjc321 wrote:

So this started happening a few months ago on my HP Stream 11 laptop and I have not been able to find a solution.  My Square Trade extended warranty is about to expire and I would like to use it if this is a hardware problem, otherwise fix it if it is software, driver or setting related.  The Problem: On any browser, if I am streaming content from Xfinity movies or TV shows "and specifically only when Hardware Acceleration (Also known as GPU Rendering) is turned on", the entire laptop's screen will intermittently start flickering/flashing, not just the browser but the entire screen.  The screen will work fine for a while, then the flickering will start.  Turning off hardware acceleration and restarting the browser always fixes the problem.  Unfortunately turning off hardware acceleration makes streaming video unwatchable because the video then stutters and lags. The Video driver and Graphics Control Panel from HP/Intel are current, as well as all Windows drivers and updates.  Here is the exact problem as shown in the video I made here:

 

https://youtu.be/snlB186EcpM

 

I do not have this issue with YouTube or streaming video from other websites.  My other computers do not exhibit this problem either, just the HP Stream 11 laptop.

 


This has been an adobe flash problem for a long time with some video HW (usually NVIDIA), google "adobe flash screen flicker". Does it happen in chrome as well? Chrome has its own version of flash.

 

Frequent Visitor

Re: Entire Laptop Screen Flickers During Xfinity Streaming

Yes it happens with both Chrome and Microsoft Edge.  The graphics are the standard Intel GPU.  I am currently working with Intel on the issue but they have not been able to replicate the problem, although for one thing they do not have the exact same hardware, another is that they don't have the same applications and settings, and most importantly don't have access to Xfinity.  The weird part is this only happens with Xfinity streaming and not others, so there is something different with the way they do things that is causing this.

Bronze Problem Solver

Re: Entire Laptop Screen Flickers During Xfinity Streaming


pjc321 wrote:

Yes it happens with both Chrome and Microsoft Edge.  The graphics are the standard Intel GPU.  I am currently working with Intel on the issue but they have not been able to replicate the problem, although for one thing they do not have the exact same hardware, another is that they don't have the same applications and settings, and most importantly don't have access to Xfinity.  The weird part is this only happens with Xfinity streaming and not others, so there is something different with the way they do things that is causing this.


Xf uses flash, most others such as youtube don't. I had same problem with xf and my security system software, turned off hw acc. and flashing stopped.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Entire Laptop Screen Flickers During Xfinity Streaming

Thanks for the info about Flash as it might narrow down the problem. Do you have Norton's? A while back I found a fix on their website for flickering but uninstalling/reinstalling Norton's is part of the fix and I didn't want to waste my time if it didn't work. Besides, I have the exact same Norton's on 2 other computers without the flickering problem. Unfortunately disabling hardware acceleration makes streaming unusable due to the extreme lag and stuttering.
Bronze Problem Solver

Re: Entire Laptop Screen Flickers During Xfinity Streaming


pjc321 wrote:
Thanks for the info about Flash as it might narrow down the problem. Do you have Norton's? A while back I found a fix on their website for flickering but uninstalling/reinstalling Norton's is part of the fix and I didn't want to waste my time if it didn't work. Besides, I have the exact same Norton's on 2 other computers without the flickering problem. Unfortunately disabling hardware acceleration makes streaming unusable due to the extreme lag and stuttering.

Yes, I have norton supplied by xf on all puters