Community Forum

Data Usage Roku App

New Poster

Data Usage Roku App

It is my understanding that when we use the Xfinity Beta Roku App to watch Live TV, it is not supposed to use our data.  However, after watching Live TV on the Xfinity Roku app for several hours, the xFi app is showing "Very High" usage coming from the Roku MAC address.  We have NOT been watching Netflix or Hulu for several hours.

Please confirm this should NOT use our data plan... It would appear that it is...

Regular Contributor

Re: Data Usage Roku App

Check your actual data usage for your Internet, I stream TV on my computer all the time and my internal network monitor captures the data traffic but it doesn't show on my monthly internet download usage.

New Poster

Can you tell me how you got the Roku box activated ?  I can't get watchable to recognize my box.

New Poster

I'm not sure yet. Since my mom started using the app one month we are over by 300+ gig and the next not. Just got another bill for 465gig over.... I actually paused my mom's ruku for a month and didn't have the overage. I honestly think it's the beta app on her ruku.
Expert

@EMSDAL wrote:
I'm not sure yet. Since my mom started using the app one month we are over by 300+ gig and the next not. Just got another bill for 465gig over.... I actually paused my mom's ruku for a month and didn't have the overage. I honestly think it's the beta app on her ruku.

the use of other apps (like watchable) all use the actual internet and the usage counts toward your cap. the data used by the roku Xfinity app is currently limited to your in-home channels only and the data does not count toward the monthly cap. any usage of the roku at all outside of the app is just regular internet.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

I am certain I am seeing data usage from the Xfinity Roku app. We just got a Roku TV and I wanted my wife to use the Xfinity Roku app to watch news, etc. and simplify our setup as in that case, we would only need our phones to control everything. Since we started using it we went from a 70% warning (2/3rd the way through billing cycle) to an 80% warning in a matter of a couple days with that being the only change in our viewing habits. I then set a 24 hour period of using only the Xfinity app, no other strreaming services and the usage meter continued to climb. I then got a 90% warning just a few days following the 80% warning. We are not streaming any 4k content because it simply isn't feasible with a 1tb cap and again, using the Xfinity app is the only change in our viewing habits. We haven't hit 90% in over a year.

Expert

@cornflakes76 wrote:

I am certain I am seeing data usage from the Xfinity Roku app. We just got a Roku TV and I wanted my wife to use the Xfinity Roku app to watch news, etc. and simplify our setup as in that case, we would only need our phones to control everything. Since we started using it we went from a 70% warning (2/3rd the way through billing cycle) to an 80% warning in a matter of a couple days with that being the only change in our viewing habits. I then set a 24 hour period of using only the Xfinity app, no other strreaming services and the usage meter continued to climb. I then got a 90% warning just a few days following the 80% warning. We are not streaming any 4k content because it simply isn't feasible with a 1tb cap and again, using the Xfinity app is the only change in our viewing habits. We haven't hit 90% in over a year.

the roku beta streaming TV app won't use any of your internet bytes. other customers have found that they found their photo backup service on their phones backing up same photo's over and over causing the overage. did you try turning off your wifi while in the home on your portable smart  devices?

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Bronze Problem Solver

@cornflakes76 wrote:

If your roku is connected using wifi, verify its using your home wifi and not your public wifi. The "no data use for roku" is onlly valid on your home network.

New Poster

My wireless router logs data use per client, it is not our phones, it was the Roku before and the Roku TV that replaced it. We are talking about tons of data being used to move up 10% in a few days.

New Poster

Thanks but to clarify. I own my modem and router. I only have "home" wifi, I am not participating in the public wifi program as it would be pointless because we live at the end of a private road.

Bronze Problem Solver

@cornflakes76 wrote:

Thanks but to clarify. I own my modem and router. I only have "home" wifi, I am not participating in the public wifi program as it would be pointless because we live at the end of a private road.

After thinking about it, I don't think the roku app will even work on a public wifi even if its your own. I do think something else is going on. If you do a search, it takes about 2Gb of data to stream an hour of HD video, with a 1Tb cap, that would be 500 hours of streaming to reach 1Tb.

You could try playing with the roku bandwidth limiting function: https://www.howtogeek.com/289289/how-to-limit-bandwidth-usage-on-your-roku/

New Poster

It's the Roku TV itself. It uses tons of bandwidth even when it is off. Unplug it completely or what I have done is use wifi plugs so I can kill power to it completely. I wish I had just got regular TV's with a Chromecast. <br>
Expert

@Macfi wrote:
It's the Roku TV itself. It uses tons of bandwidth even when it is off. Unplug it completely or what I have done is use wifi plugs so I can kill power to it completely. I wish I had just got regular TV's with a Chromecast. <br>

the roku's data for the xfinity stream app does not count toward the CAP since the traffic is all within comcast's own servers. best practice is to hit the back button on the roku when finished until live video has closed (menus are fine).

New Poster

@Rustyben wrote:
the roku's data for the xfinity stream app does not count toward the CAP since the traffic is all within comcast's own servers. 

This is an incorrect statement Xfinity streaming app DOES count towwards your data cap as per https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/data-usage-what-counts-towards-my-data-plan. I also call Comcast to verify with a live person that yes the Xfinity streaming app on Roku does count towards the total monthly data cap usage. 

Expert

@Mbppg wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:
the roku's data for the xfinity stream app does not count toward the CAP since the traffic is all within comcast's own servers. 

This is an incorrect statement Xfinity streaming app DOES count towwards your data cap as per https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/data-usage-what-counts-towards-my-data-plan. I also call Comcast to verify with a live person that yes the Xfinity streaming app on Roku does count towards the total monthly data cap usage. 

whoever told you that is just wrong. you can run the stream app 24/7 and only the local router will see/count the traffic. the in house data (streaming video) used by the app does not count. (if using a portable device and TVgo channels yes it would count, same for a desk/laptop). but it clearly shows that it Internet usage and no reason to use TVgo channels when in the home. the Roku has no access to TVgo at this time.

New Poster

@Rustyben  then the policy changed, it says so right on the page I linked and I called specifically about beta xfinity stream app on Roku and that is what I was alos told. Plus like other users previouly in the post, I can prove that my data goes up only using Beta xfinity streaming on on Roku. 

Expert

@Mbppg wrote:

@Rustyben  then the policy changed, it says so right on the page I linked and I called specifically about beta xfinity stream app on Roku and that is what I was alos told. Plus like other users previouly in the post, I can prove that my data goes up only using Beta xfinity streaming on on Roku. 

to 'prove' it i ran a Roku for over 24 hours, not a blip of data usage. it is not counted at the 'box' that your modem connects to (called CMTS) since the traffic is routed to comcasts in-house servers not the outside internet.

New Poster

RustyBen,

you are incorrect. I have two separate internet pipes at my house one them is Xfinity and I only use two Roku boxes on that connection, and we use no other app but the Xfinity Beta App, and my data usage is at 256GB for the month of September. I have 744GB left of a 1 Terrabyte quota.

Expert

@rc671 wrote:

RustyBen,

you are incorrect. I have two separate internet pipes at my house one them is Xfinity and I only use two Roku boxes on that connection, and we use no other app but the Xfinity Beta App, and my data usage is at 256GB for the month of September. I have 744GB left of a 1 Terrabyte quota.

use of data in the roku app xfinity beta stream channel is not counted at all. it is no different than using a streaming website on a PC on home network or using a smart phone/tablet. numbered channels, on-demand, recordings playback are all zero-rated as they do not use 'outside' data only in-house Comcast servers.

Silver Problem Solver

@Rustyben wrote:

@rc671 wrote:

RustyBen,

use of data in the roku app xfinity beta stream channel is not counted at all. it is no different than using a streaming website on a PC on home network or using a smart phone/tablet. numbered channels, on-demand, recordings playback are all zero-rated as they do not use 'outside' data only in-house Comcast servers.

Not sure I understand, Rusty; if I watch Netflix with my Win10 computer, doesn't it count in my monthly data usage?

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

From a historical standpoint, I only had xfinity as my internet before I added a separate internet provider, and my data usage for the whole month would not exceed 400 gigabytes. Once I added the second provider I put all wireless devices and physically connected devices on the new internet connection, and the only devices I’m using on xfinity is the Roku devices and we only use the xfinity app thru them and my usage will exceed the normal usage by the end of this month. Mind you I never saw this much of a spike in data until we added the roku devices. So I must disagree with your assertion that the app is not hitting our data usage cap, but to make sure, I will call them to verify and respond back with their answer.
Expert

@RobertWy wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@rc671 wrote:

RustyBen,

Not sure I understand, Rusty; if I watch Netflix with my Win10 computer, doesn't it count in my monthly data usage?

yes. but this discussion is the use of data by the xfinity stream TV beta channel on the roku (all use of that channel with Roku has no capability of using external internet).

New Poster

I too have had my data usage jump to where I was pegging the max for the last 2 months that I'd had Instant TV, after 12 months of NEVER reaching the max.  The *only* difference is using Instant TV.  I went online and asked and found this statement ON Xfinity's home page "For example, all Internet-based video streaming and download services, including Internet-delivered programming available through www.xfinity.com/stream and Xfinity apps, is included in the calculation of monthly usage."  I called Xfinity and was told that yes indeed it is included in my monthly usage.  I even commented why would I change to instant tv is that is going to make my MDU go up.  His solution was to drop Instant TV and go back to a box because I can't use it outside of the house anyway. 

Expert

@VMgag238 wrote:

I too have had my data usage jump to where I was pegging the max for the last 2 months that I'd had Instant TV, after 12 months of NEVER reaching the max.  The *only* difference is using Instant TV.  I went online and asked and found this statement ON Xfinity's home page "For example, all Internet-based video streaming and download services, including Internet-delivered programming available through www.xfinity.com/stream and Xfinity apps, is included in the calculation of monthly usage."  I called Xfinity and was told that yes indeed it is included in my monthly usage.  I even commented why would I change to instant tv is that is going to make my MDU go up.  His solution was to drop Instant TV and go back to a box because I can't use it outside of the house anyway. 

the streaming website and mobile devices do have access to TVgo channels while the Roku does not. that is the only programming currently that is 'charged' toward the CAP. since the Roku does not have access to 'internet' channels it does not count toward your internet CAP. 

Regular Visitor

I found both of these statements on xfinity website

Does streaming using the Xfinity Stream app on a Partner Device count against my Internet data usage?
No. The goal of using the app on your Partner Device is to give you more options outside of our rented TV Boxes to access your full TV service within your home. The service delivered through the Xfinity Stream app is not an Internet service, so our data usage plans don't apply.
However, video services that are delivered over the Internet, like TV Everywhere content accessed via the Xfinity Stream app and web portal or content from NBC.com or the NBC and NBC Sports apps, are treated exactly the same way as any other Internet-delivered services, like Netflix, Hulu, or Amazon, and are subject to any data usage plans that might apply.

Data Usage

All data usage delivered over your home Xfinity Internet service, both downloaded and uploaded, is counted towards your data plan, regardless of the source.

For example, all Internet-based video streaming and download services, including Internet-delivered programming available through www.xfinity.com/stream and Xfinity apps, is included in the calculation of monthly usage. Xfinity TV and Xfinity Voice services that are notdelivered over the Internet and are not received by you using your Xfinity Internet service do not count.

i hooked up Roku and have 25gb in 36 hours.  I had 250 total from Jan 1 - Jan 27.   Looks like Roku counts towards data???

Expert

@IH8C_cast wrote:

I found both of these statements on xfinity website

Does streaming using the Xfinity Stream app on a Partner Device count against my Internet data usage?
No. The goal of using the app on your Partner Device is to give you more options outside of our rented TV Boxes to access your full TV service within your home. The service delivered through the Xfinity Stream app is not an Internet service, so our data usage plans don't apply.
However, video services that are delivered over the Internet, like TV Everywhere content accessed via the Xfinity Stream app and web portal or content from NBC.com or the NBC and NBC Sports apps, are treated exactly the same way as any other Internet-delivered services, like Netflix, Hulu, or Amazon, and are subject to any data usage plans that might apply.

Data Usage

All data usage delivered over your home Xfinity Internet service, both downloaded and uploaded, is counted towards your data plan, regardless of the source.

For example, all Internet-based video streaming and download services, including Internet-delivered programming available through www.xfinity.com/stream and Xfinity apps, is included in the calculation of monthly usage. Xfinity TV and Xfinity Voice services that are notdelivered over the Internet and are not received by you using your Xfinity Internet service do not count.

i hooked up Roku and have 25gb in 36 hours.  I had 250 total from Jan 1 - Jan 27.   Looks like Roku counts towards data???

your modem gateway communicates with a device (CMTS) that counts non-internal address data . you can put on a roku device 24/7 365 on HD numbered channel and yes your router will see the traffic but the count of 'internet' data doesn't include that traffic. that is why what you quoted says that the stream beta app (channel on roku) is not 'internet' (it is intranet). 

Regular Visitor

Ok. Does that include non-xfinity modem/router equipment measurement?  I installed my own modem the same day as Roku.  Trying to eliminate equipment rental fee.   I've watched less than 1 hr on Netflix on an iPhone in the same 36 hours.   The rest of the 25gb was just having xfinity a stream live tv on in the background.  I'm seeing the 25gb when I go into My Xfinity app and click on equipment and then see the data used by the new modem.  

Silver Problem Solver

@IH8C_cast wrote:

Ok. Does that include non-xfinity modem/router equipment measurement?  I installed my own modem the same day as Roku.  Trying to eliminate equipment rental fee.   I've watched less than 1 hr on Netflix on an iPhone in the same 36 hours.   The rest of the 25gb was just having xfinity a stream live tv on in the background.  I'm seeing the 25gb when I go into My Xfinity app and click on equipment and then see the data used by the new modem.  

Any of your devices that use the Comcast-Xfinity Internet counts against your data usage.

Does that answer your question?

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Regular Visitor

Not really.  Two posts higher I have 2 different quotes from the xfinity website which contradict each other. 

Silver Problem Solver

@IH8C_cast wrote:

Not really.  Two posts higher I have 2 different quotes from the xfinity website which contradict each other. 

Bottom line to me is that when my Roku Ultra uses the Internet, it counts against my data plan.

Expert

@IH8C_cast wrote:

i've never had a leased xfinity modem only my old surfboard. the count you see using the my account app is what is currently counted (up and download). my router counts many gigs a day and many terrabytes more than the xfinity app as I stream a lot of files from my plex server inside the home. Netflix data always counts as does watching tVgo and on-demand TVgo while connected to your home internet. the streaming video on the beta roku channel is all 'in-house' at the moment and does not count toward your monthly data use CAP (if any).

Regular Visitor

I taked with Xfinity internet support today and asked them this question.  The rep said she's heard the  "it does count/it doesn't count" but wasn't sure herself.  She put me on hold to ask a supervisor who said Xfinity Stream does not count against your data cap.  We'll see, as the My Account app shows 11 Gb steamed so far today.  No Netflix, no Prime, just Xfinity Stream and minor web browsing.  Still seems like an awful lot of data.  

Regular Visitor

I spoke with another Xfinity rep this evening about my XFi app.  XFi will only work with Xfinity modems as it recognizes your "home network."  Here is some additional interesting information she said which has changed in the last 3 months:  

1.  If you use your own modem (non-Xfinity), then all data is charged against your cap, including Xfinity Stream.  With your own modem, Xfinity does not know your "home network."

2.  The only way to exclude Xfinity Stream from your data usage cap is to use an Xfinity modem.

3.  If you use the new Xfinity cable boxes and access streaming services through the cable box (e.g. Netflix, Prime, etc.), then those streaming services will no longer count as data usage against your cap.  They are now considered part of your "home network."  

Hope this helps. 

Expert

@IH8C_cast wrote:

I spoke with another Xfinity rep this evening about my XFi app.  XFi will only work with Xfinity modems as it recognizes your "home network."  Here is some additional interesting information she said which has changed in the last 3 months:  

1.  If you use your own modem (non-Xfinity), then all data is charged against your cap, including Xfinity Stream.  With your own modem, Xfinity does not know your "home network."

2.  The only way to exclude Xfinity Stream from your data usage cap is to use an Xfinity modem.

3.  If you use the new Xfinity cable boxes and access streaming services through the cable box (e.g. Netflix, Prime, etc.), then those streaming services will no longer count as data usage against your cap.  They are now considered part of your "home network."  

Hope this helps. 

sorry it does not help. each one is exactly opposite and wrong. comcast does not care if you use your own gateway/modem or a rented one from xfinity. there is no difference on how data is counted. all 'internet' use on set top boxes (doesn't go through your modem) does count toward your cap. all the data is captured at the device the home's gateway modem is connected to on comcast's network (a device CMTS). 

Regular Visitor

Not sure what to tell you.  She indicated these are all changes within the last 3 months and most people on the forums do not know about them.  

Silver Problem Solver

@IH8C_cast wrote:

Hope this helps. 

I have always been told that if a link like Netflix shows the "Internet" sign, it counts against the cap.

I seriously doubt that will change for those of us who pay for Xfinity Internet.

Does your bill include Internet service?

Regular Visitor

Yes, I have internet and TV.  Not sure what to make of two different answers from two different Xfinity employees on the same day...or different answers from replies in the Forum....

New Poster

This makes sense as I’m using my own modem. Like I said in a past email, I switched from having multiple
Xfinity tv boxes to only two and substituted with Roku boxes. I only have the three Rokus connected to xfinity internet with a ring doorbell and nest, I have another internet line where everything else goes thru it. My data usage has jumped exponentially from 124 gb a month to over 500gb a month. I knew it had to be something with comcast..