Community Forum

Commercial break in progress??

Contributor

Commercial break in progress??

When I am watching live TV, I usually see the commercials during a commercial break, but sometimes I just get a screen that says "Commercial break in progress.  Programming will return shortly."  Why does that happen?  I'd rather see the commercials than 2 - 3 minutes of stupid dead air.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Commercial break in progress??

That is a point where there is supposed to be a local commercial inserted. It seems as if the XFinity stream service doesn't support that, or maybe is just not properly configured for that channel.

What channels (use names, not numbers) do you see that on? Most national networks will have generic national commercials, but most local stations or cable companies will do inserts over them at specified times.

Contributor

andyross, thanks for your reply!  I've been noticing this with the Fox News Channel.  It seems to happen in the very late night/very early morning hours, if that makes a difference.

New Poster

This appears to affect conservative stations more than liberal broadcasts. Since 'dead air' is a cardinal no-no in TV and Radio I believe this is the provider's way of encouraging the viewer to change channels.  I've actually gotten used to it and see it as an audio signal to go to the bathroom, refill my coffee cup or get back to something to occupy me for 2-5 minutes.  The sound returning is my alert that the programming has returned.  I believe this is purely a political stunt to try and favor more liberal broadcasts.  It seems to be inconsistent which leads me to believe it is done with human intervention.  Sometimes they drift off and we see the commercial and other times the program is already in progress before we get reconnected. With everything we have learned about the Left's agenda, nothing would surprise me at this point.    

New Poster

The Commercial Break screen only happens on FOX here, and I know Comcast is a big Liberal supporter. If it continues, we will drop our contract with them.