Community Forum

Cannot Access HBO GO with my Android TV Device

New Poster

Cannot Access HBO GO with my Android TV Device

Comcast has decided not to support HBO GO on Android TV devices. This is an anti-consumer practice that I would like to end as soon as possible. How is this not already possible? There are literally hundreds of providers that authenticate for Android TV devices. Why is device authentication not generic and only allowed for some devices? I'm paying Comcast, HBO, and the device manufacturer, but somehow they won't work together. It must be a contract negotiation of some sort, but I cannot imagine how that is possible because I am already paying all involved parties for these services, which I am not able to receive. Since every other provider I can think of is available, I must assume that this is Comcast's decision. But I guess no one cares, because Comcast has a monopoly in my area. There's a reason Comcast is the most hated company in the US, and this is it.

I will be looking to get an account credit, because I was incorrectly upsold after being told I would be able to stream HBO from my TV.

Bronze Problem Solver

Re: Cannot Access HBO GO with my Android TV Device

jpnichols9 wrote:

Comcast has decided not to support HBO GO on Android TV devices. This is an anti-consumer practice that I would like to end as soon as possible. How is this not already possible? There are literally hundreds of providers that authenticate for Android TV devices. Why is device authentication not generic and only allowed for some devices? I'm paying Comcast, HBO, and the device manufacturer, but somehow they won't work together. It must be a contract negotiation of some sort, but I cannot imagine how that is possible because I am already paying all involved parties for these services, which I am not able to receive. Since every other provider I can think of is available, I must assume that this is Comcast's decision. But I guess no one cares, because Comcast has a monopoly in my area. There's a reason Comcast is the most hated company in the US, and this is it.

I will be looking to get an account credit, because I was incorrectly upsold after being told I would be able to stream HBO from my TV.

You can get a list of supported devices using hbo go as a xf cusomer here: http://www.hbogo.com/devices/ and selecting xf/comcast as provider You can also compare supported devices allowed by selecting other providers to see if your device is supported by any  provider.

You can also stream hbo using the xf stream website or app.

New Poster

Thank you for that link. It confirms my suspicions that the issue resides with Comcast, as nearly every other provider supports Android TV.

New Poster

It absolutely resides with Comcast. It is a business decision to push sales of their set top boxes. Supported platforms pay Comcast a fee for the privilege. If you are dissatisfied with their business practices, you should cancel your service.
Frequent Visitor

Theslug wrote:
It absolutely resides with Comcast. It is a business decision to push sales of their set top boxes. Supported platforms pay Comcast a fee for the privilege. If you are dissatisfied with their business practices, you should cancel your service.

Kind of hard to cancel ones service when the only game in town is Comcast and they have a lock on the business, including blocking other competitors from coming into the town and providing services.. 

Intead one case you Comcast Internet and then use Sling TV to get most of what people would want.. I'm heading in that direction since we get nothing by lip service from Comcast/Xfinity about their services and anti-competitive nature. 

New Poster

after finding out about this, plus having a nightmare of a time getting their stupid boxes to work with hdmi (Pace 150) I am done.  Will  be calling in morning to cancel services and go the online only route for my entertainment. 

Regular Contributor

@ wrote:

jpnichols9 wrote:

You can get a list of supported devices using hbo go as a xf cusomer here: http://www.hbogo.com/devices/ and selecting xf/comcast as provider You can also compare supported devices allowed by selecting other providers to see if your device is supported by any  provider.

There is no Stream TV App available for Android TV. So no they can't stream HBO using the Stream TV app on their Android TV.

Bronze Problem Solver

@wrote:

wrote:

jpnichols9 wrote:

There is no Stream TV App available for Android TV. So no they can't stream HBO using the Stream TV app on their Android TV.

Thats correct, comcast apps don't allow viewing on external displays, that would cost comcast more to the providers. You can use the streaming website on a puter with it displaying on a tv using hdmi or some casting hardware.

Regular Contributor

@ wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

jpnichols9 wrote:

Thats correct, comcast apps don't allow viewing on external displays, that would cost comcast more to the providers. You can use the streaming website on a puter with it displaying on a tv using hdmi or some casting hardware.

So why did Comcast make an exception and create an app that works on Roku boxes that connect to external displays? I just read  an article that states Comcast is working on an Android TV app that will at first only work on Sony Android TVs. That app could be released sometime in 2018. We will see. For now, those who want to use their Android TV devices will either have to switch service providers or switch to using a Roku for certain things. 

New Poster

Or you could just stream from the HBO Go app on your phone. People are so entitled...
Regular Contributor

Casting from a phone app is not a good solution. Switching providers to one that has fully embraced 21st century technologies is probably the best solution. A provider that supports Fire TV, Android TV, Apple TV, and Roku. People are so arrogant and judgmental.