Community Forum

AppleTV Comcast Xfinity Single Sign On (SSO)

New Poster

AppleTV Comcast Xfinity Single Sign On (SSO)

Please add support for Single Sign On (SSO) for AppleTV.  It's a great way to hold onto your customers who haven't cut the cord!

Tags (1)
New Poster

Re: AppleTV Comcast Xfinity Single Sign On (SSO)

I'm also really disappointed that this is not available.  As per usual, they are trying to do their own thing.

"Comcast has revealed no plans to support Apple TV’s new single sign-on feature and instead told FierceCable that it will continue to work with tech companies Adobe and Synacor, and industry group CTAM, to develop a universal authentication scheme."

Whatever - my comcast contract is up soon, and I can get fiber internet and single sign on from centurylink...

New Poster

Very upset about this. My contract is not up, but I will be leaving them over this. I won't stand for them trying to do something that tried to protect their needs over ours.
New Poster

Please support Single Sign On for AppleTV!!!

New Poster

Please add support for Apple's SSO.
I am already paying for this content. Allowing me to access it through Apple's software takes nothing from Comcast.
Blocking access, on the other hand, only drives people toward other service providers or cord cutting.
Visitor

This. Comcast needs to support Single Sign On -- and all of the channels/apps that are on Apple TV should demand that they do. It makes for a vastly improved customer experience, enables customers to discover channels/apps they may not have known they had, and provides a strong incentive to keep a Comcast subscription.  With DirectTV Now, Sling, and Hulu (soon) offering cheap streaming packages with most popular channels, the options for ditching Comcast are plentiful.  But I'd prefer to stay a subscriber, as Comcast still has the most content.  Single sign-on and increased support for streaming apps (e.g., why no Nickelodeon, Nick Jr, Comedy Central, Starz, etc.?) makes that much more likely.

New Poster

It really <intake of breath through lips> (post moderated).  The big communications company is late to the show.  Several other telecomms have joined SSO.  Our family are unable to download shows to our iPhones (no teck support fix yet). We have spent maybe 10+ hrs on tech support lines and chat. They wont even entertain any discussion of SSO as the problem although it's clear it is the issue - just an endless cycle of delete and reload the app and try again.

http://www.iphonefaq.org/archives/975782
"While it is safe to assume Apple plans to add more providers in the future, one major cable company has opted not to support Apple's SSO feature."

Paraphrased - Comcast are working on it but dont expect a fix soon.

We are seriously thinking of cutting the cord and just going with Amazon Prime ($99/yr v god knows what for Comcast).

New Poster

I'm over comcast! I will NEVER use them again once I move to my new place. They charge outrageous rates compared to other people, and then I am unable to use my AppleTV for any of the tv channel apps. Comcast doesn't allow it. I don't understand what their reasoning is either. Even if it were to charge more, what can they charge for? I already have a high package of cable, I'm already paying for it. I just want to watch the apps that I have access to on my AppleTV. Not sure how they are losing money. Granted they will be losing money when I cancel my service!

New Poster

Yes Comcast please support Apple Single Sign On

New Poster

If your the best act like it and support Apple Single Sign On. 

New Poster

Boo Comcast!!!!

New Poster

I will be doing the same thing very soon. It's so stupid to leave your customers out in the cold like this. Get a clue Comcast! I will be taking my subscription elsewhere.

New Poster

Yes Comcast, stop jerking your customers around.  NO REASON to block this as it keeps us as your cutomers instead of tempting or forcing us to cut the cord.  I am investingating the idea myself as I want to use my Apple TV more as the core device but having to sign on for every app is crazy.  And yet I pay for the channels through you, so shame on you!

Administrator

All,

Sorry for the inconvenience. Our XFINITY Stream App allows for SSO, and at this time Apple TVs are not a supported device for the XFINITY Stream App.

Since we do not own the individual apps for each streaming channel you want to watch we cannot force those app owners to support our SSO process. Also, since we do not own Apple we cannot force them to allow for that feature on their devices. 

We can only accommodate SSO with any app, service, or device that we provide our customers. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Tags (1)
Frequent Visitor

That's some carefully worded BS, right there. No, you can't force them to support your process. However, you can support theirs. Like DirecTV, Dish and dozens of other content providers. 

New Poster

This is quite simply, a lie. Someone at Comcast should remove this statement. It is false. 

New Poster

Uhhhhh......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHAzZ5PHen0

Screen Shot 2017-07-12 at 1.10.59 PM.png

Apparently our collective cry for Apple SSO did not fall on deaf ears at Comcast--perhaps coming with iOS 11.

FINALLY!

Frequent Visitor

Hope you're right. It's been a long time coming.

Expert
Moved:

Your post was removed to a secure, inaccessible location for a violation of Forum Guidelines [circumventing the language filters]. If you are not familiar with our Guidelines you may review them here.

New Poster

I'm sorry, but this response shows just how badly Comcast is missing the boat here.

Apple TV single sign on has been standardized and 11 other TV service providers have already integrated with it.

There's absolutely no excuse for Comcast to insist that Apple conform to their proprietary single-provider solution vs. accomplishing the same simple integration that 11 other TV service providers in the US (including DirecTV, Dish, AT&T, Centurylink, and Sling) have managed.

Comcast needs to start considering what their customers need/want instead of just what is convenient for Comast. People aren't asking for Comcast's excuse for avoiding Apple's solution, they're asking Comcast to support a convenient feature that would be relatively simple for Comcast to accommodate.

You've already got web-auth integration with Freeform, HBO, etc. for TvOS apps, so all you need to do to support what is needed is extend that capability to support the Apple centralized SSO process that is shared across TvOS apps.

Instead of whining about how we should all use your app that won't run on the Apple TV for all our viewing, take an honest look at what is being requested and then implement this simple feature.

New Poster

Good news for iOS, but what about TvOS?

New Poster

How about an update on this?! Almost a year and no solution... Why resist and be such a pain? Ugh Comcast needs to get it together
New Poster

Thank You for Making this Statement, But It is sad excuse. There should be no Reason Comcast can not support SSO, or the Apple TV Platform, You guys are being stubbron and Greedy, So I hope when All US Apple tv users Cut the Cord to Comcast You will realize, but then it will be too late. Shame on You Comcast!

btw the Xfinity Streaming app needs help, but I guess it comes from the Culture...

good luck

New Poster

Please pass my feedback also, I agree with the poster that we need this feature! Comcast is really behind on this now as Apple is now partnered up with over 400+ TV providers supporting SSO.

Click here to see a full list of providers that support SSO

Its like everyones onboard but Comcast now, this includes its competitors like DirecTV and DISH...

And having SSO for iOS doesn't count because I pretty much never watch the content on my phone..

New Poster

Very disappointing - not sure I will stay with Comcast xFinity - they seem to be falling behind on functionality and value!