Community Forum

Adobe Flash for Xfinity Stream

Frequent Visitor

Re: Adobe Flash for Xfinity Stream

Yes comcast has to fix it, but it is Google Chrome that is the one having the problem. I can run firefox, Yahoo, Edge and only to tell it once to run it. After that I can click on xfinity and watch without any problems. Plus it is almost two years before it ends. Google Chrome has kinda jump the gun you think. Like 2-1/2 years ahead of time. 

Expert

@datsunrobbie wrote:

I'm sure Comcast got a lot of pressure from NBC to use Flash for DRM, but that does not change the fact that they had a site that worked much better, without Flash, prior to rolling out the current app that is still in Beta over a year later.  Adobe plans to end Flash at the end of 2020, so I'm wondering already how many years Comcast will have no streaming service at all once Flash is gone.

'flash' is only being used to verify the HDCP security of the stream.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

@dmdilks wrote:

Yes comcast has to fix it, but it is Google Chrome that is the one having the problem. I can run firefox, Yahoo, Edge and only to tell it once to run it. After that I can click on xfinity and watch without any problems. Plus it is almost two years before it ends. Google Chrome has kinda jump the gun you think. Like 2-1/2 years ahead of time. 

Are you sure with Edge because MS just implemented what Google did and now you have to reallow everytime you run it in Edge. There is a toggle in advanced settings of Edge that recommends you keep Flash off. No Google has not jumped the gun.

@lizmiranda wrote:

I have tried with all my browser, Firefox, Chrome, Edge, IE and after I click the enable and allow flash to run, it's still doesn't work. Almost like Xfinity is preventing it. I can't use Xfinity Stream on my Computer anymore. 

There is an issue with your setup/system Xfinity is not preventing you from seeing content.

@Rustyben wrote: 
what error message do you see? while on the stream page did you right click on the url 'lock' icon and enable flash always for xfinity?

There is no "enable flash always for xfinity" (or any other site). There used to be. There hasn't been for months. Your options are allow, ask, block. If you put it in allowed sites it still asks. In Edge it is allow, limit, block. If you restart browser then you need to reallow flash via the prompt when opening xfinity stream. Edge specifically tells you "Allow Once."

Frequent Visitor

I just tested Edge and Firefox both of them work without having to click every time. They just go right to the channels or movies I want to watch. Both of the use Google, but not Google Chrome. Chrome is the only one that has a problem. Plus I setup Firefox on my daughter computer and she has no problem. She was having a problem OH wait Google Chrome. Plus she has it set with Google and not Google Chrome too.

Expert

@and_youf wrote:

@dmdilks wrote:

Are you sure with Edge because MS just implemented what Google did and now you have to reallow everytime you run it in Edge. There is a toggle in advanced settings of Edge that recommends you keep Flash off. No Google has not jumped the gun.

@lizmiranda wrote:

I have tried with all my browser, Firefox, Chrome, Edge, IE and after I click the enable and allow flash to run, it's still doesn't work. Almost like Xfinity is preventing it. I can't use Xfinity Stream on my Computer anymore. 

There is an issue with your setup/system Xfinity is not preventing you from seeing content.

@Rustyben wrote: 
what error message do you see? while on the stream page did you right click on the url 'lock' icon and enable flash always for xfinity?

There is no "enable flash always for xfinity" (or any other site). There used to be. There hasn't been for months. Your options are allow, ask, block. If you put it in allowed sites it still asks. In Edge it is allow, limit, block. If you restart browser then you need to reallow flash via the prompt when opening xfinity stream. Edge specifically tells you "Allow Once."

when you right click the lock it has 'ask, allow, block'. select allow. (chrome). Chrome's flash is part of their browser and it is sandboxed to prevent any security issues.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

@Rustyben wrote:

when you right click the lock it has 'ask, allow, block'. select allow. (chrome). Chrome's flash is part of their browser and it is sandboxed to prevent any security issues.

You allow...have https://www.xfinity.com:443 sitting in allowed sites in settings then. Close chrome, open chrome, it still will ask and you still need to reallow. Go to settings>advanced>content>flash, your allowed site 443 is gone b/c you closed the browser.  Again not blaming Xfinity/Google but that solution is not a solution it just confuses people. I'd reckon it'd be better to tell people yeah for the time being you need to allow for each instance by clicking the big gray area that says enable flash (except on firefox don't know what they are up to). The reason for this is all outlined by links directly from Google peppered throughout this thread. Flash, like it's own creator Adobe has said, is vulnerable and both Google and MS prefer it be off and soon enough not a component of their browsers (Edge is going chromium anyway).

@dmdilks wrote:

I just tested Edge and Firefox both of them work without having to click every time. They just go right to the channels or movies I want to watch. Both of the use Google, but not Google Chrome. Chrome is the only one that has a problem. Plus I setup Firefox on my daughter computer and she has no problem. She was having a problem OH wait Google Chrome. Plus she has it set with Google and not Google Chrome too.

You don't have 1809 yet you're still on 1803 (which isn't necessarily a bad thing). https://www.tenforums.com/browsers-email/118987-new-1809-feature-update-changed-edge-flash-behavior.... (post #7)