Community Forum

Adobe Flash for Xfinity Stream

Frequent Visitor

Re: Adobe Flash for Xfinity Stream

Yes comcast has to fix it, but it is Google Chrome that is the one having the problem. I can run firefox, Yahoo, Edge and only to tell it once to run it. After that I can click on xfinity and watch without any problems. Plus it is almost two years before it ends. Google Chrome has kinda jump the gun you think. Like 2-1/2 years ahead of time. 

Expert

@datsunrobbie wrote:

I'm sure Comcast got a lot of pressure from NBC to use Flash for DRM, but that does not change the fact that they had a site that worked much better, without Flash, prior to rolling out the current app that is still in Beta over a year later.  Adobe plans to end Flash at the end of 2020, so I'm wondering already how many years Comcast will have no streaming service at all once Flash is gone.

'flash' is only being used to verify the HDCP security of the stream.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

@dmdilks wrote:

Yes comcast has to fix it, but it is Google Chrome that is the one having the problem. I can run firefox, Yahoo, Edge and only to tell it once to run it. After that I can click on xfinity and watch without any problems. Plus it is almost two years before it ends. Google Chrome has kinda jump the gun you think. Like 2-1/2 years ahead of time. 

Are you sure with Edge because MS just implemented what Google did and now you have to reallow everytime you run it in Edge. There is a toggle in advanced settings of Edge that recommends you keep Flash off. No Google has not jumped the gun.

@lizmiranda wrote:

I have tried with all my browser, Firefox, Chrome, Edge, IE and after I click the enable and allow flash to run, it's still doesn't work. Almost like Xfinity is preventing it. I can't use Xfinity Stream on my Computer anymore. 

There is an issue with your setup/system Xfinity is not preventing you from seeing content.

@Rustyben wrote: 
what error message do you see? while on the stream page did you right click on the url 'lock' icon and enable flash always for xfinity?

There is no "enable flash always for xfinity" (or any other site). There used to be. There hasn't been for months. Your options are allow, ask, block. If you put it in allowed sites it still asks. In Edge it is allow, limit, block. If you restart browser then you need to reallow flash via the prompt when opening xfinity stream. Edge specifically tells you "Allow Once."

Frequent Visitor

I just tested Edge and Firefox both of them work without having to click every time. They just go right to the channels or movies I want to watch. Both of the use Google, but not Google Chrome. Chrome is the only one that has a problem. Plus I setup Firefox on my daughter computer and she has no problem. She was having a problem OH wait Google Chrome. Plus she has it set with Google and not Google Chrome too.

Expert

@and_youf wrote:

@dmdilks wrote:

Are you sure with Edge because MS just implemented what Google did and now you have to reallow everytime you run it in Edge. There is a toggle in advanced settings of Edge that recommends you keep Flash off. No Google has not jumped the gun.

@lizmiranda wrote:

I have tried with all my browser, Firefox, Chrome, Edge, IE and after I click the enable and allow flash to run, it's still doesn't work. Almost like Xfinity is preventing it. I can't use Xfinity Stream on my Computer anymore. 

There is an issue with your setup/system Xfinity is not preventing you from seeing content.

@Rustyben wrote: 
what error message do you see? while on the stream page did you right click on the url 'lock' icon and enable flash always for xfinity?

There is no "enable flash always for xfinity" (or any other site). There used to be. There hasn't been for months. Your options are allow, ask, block. If you put it in allowed sites it still asks. In Edge it is allow, limit, block. If you restart browser then you need to reallow flash via the prompt when opening xfinity stream. Edge specifically tells you "Allow Once."

when you right click the lock it has 'ask, allow, block'. select allow. (chrome). Chrome's flash is part of their browser and it is sandboxed to prevent any security issues.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Contributor

@Rustyben wrote:

when you right click the lock it has 'ask, allow, block'. select allow. (chrome). Chrome's flash is part of their browser and it is sandboxed to prevent any security issues.

You allow...have https://www.xfinity.com:443 sitting in allowed sites in settings then. Close chrome, open chrome, it still will ask and you still need to reallow. Go to settings>advanced>content>flash, your allowed site 443 is gone b/c you closed the browser.  Again not blaming Xfinity/Google but that solution is not a solution it just confuses people. I'd reckon it'd be better to tell people yeah for the time being you need to allow for each instance by clicking the big gray area that says enable flash (except on firefox don't know what they are up to). The reason for this is all outlined by links directly from Google peppered throughout this thread. Flash, like it's own creator Adobe has said, is vulnerable and both Google and MS prefer it be off and soon enough not a component of their browsers (Edge is going chromium anyway).

@dmdilks wrote:

I just tested Edge and Firefox both of them work without having to click every time. They just go right to the channels or movies I want to watch. Both of the use Google, but not Google Chrome. Chrome is the only one that has a problem. Plus I setup Firefox on my daughter computer and she has no problem. She was having a problem OH wait Google Chrome. Plus she has it set with Google and not Google Chrome too.

You don't have 1809 yet you're still on 1803 (which isn't necessarily a bad thing). https://www.tenforums.com/browsers-email/118987-new-1809-feature-update-changed-edge-flash-behavior.... (post #7)

New Poster

Thank you for your input.  I agree.  Seeing the same inept fixes, one after the other, I haven't heard anything from Xfinity about when they will migrat to the HTML5 format.  I use Microsoft Edge and suffer the same problem.  Every time I reopen the browser, I must approve Adobe Flash Player, and then given the only option to 'Allow once'.  I too have done my research and the clear conclusion is the necessity for Xfinity to update their streaming service.

I hope I, and others, can find a way to reach the Xfinity webmasters to get on this.

New Poster

Hey look, 

@Nerdburg wrote:

@and_youf wrote:

On the newest Chrome update I was asking over at Google why Chrome isn't saving my flash settings for Xfinity Stream. Apparently Flash is being phased out and HTML5 is the newest tech. Are there any plans to switch over?

Yes, they are working on a version of Stream that does not require Flash. Expected to be available soon. 

Hey look, 9 months later and still nothing. Surprise, surprise.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

@Synikal wrote:

Hey look, 

@Nerdburg wrote:

@and_youf wrote:

On the newest Chrome update I was asking over at Google why Chrome isn't saving my flash settings for Xfinity Stream. Apparently Flash is being phased out and HTML5 is the newest tech. Are there any plans to switch over?

Yes, they are working on a version of Stream that does not require Flash. Expected to be available soon. 

Adobe will be killing off Flash at the end of 2020 so it could be as long as 18 months from now before things change:

https://searchsecurity.techtarget.com/news/450423574/Adobes-Flash-end-of-life-scheduled-finally-for-...

New Poster

@eecon1 wrote:

@Synikal wrote:

Hey look, 

@Nerdburg wrote:

@and_youf wrote:

Adobe will be killing off Flash at the end of 2020 so it could be as long as 18 months from now before things change:

https://searchsecurity.techtarget.com/news/450423574/Adobes-Flash-end-of-life-scheduled-finally-for-...

Yeah, and the funny thing is they made a post on their website that said they were switching to HTML5 in "Early 2018" 

https://support.xfinityoncampus.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005426308

Frequent Visitor

I have no problem with the streaming because I use Firefox. I can enable flash player and never have to do it over & over again every time I want to do streaming. 

Regular Contributor

Enjoy that in 2021 when Flash has been discontinued and Comcast still has not gotten a non-flash player working.

Regular Contributor

@Synikal wrote:

@eecon1 wrote:

Yeah, and the funny thing is they made a post on their website that said they were switching to HTML5 in "Early 2018" 

https://support.xfinityoncampus.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005426308

Yeh, it is kinda funny ... I also use FF so have not pushed the issue.

They probably want to hang on to every last WinXP  user that they can would be my guess (even though there is a well published sophisticated tweak enabling "Firefox ESP v52.9.0 for WinXP" to handle  HTML5 streaming perfectly these days ) .

Regular Contributor

The newest version of Edge that comes with the lastest update of Windows 10 does the same thing.  I have to click to unblock Flash ONE TIME every time I stream TV on my laptop.

Fine.

But in a not-so-future Windows update, Flash won't be supported at all.  

IS Comcast working on a non-Flash version of Stream?  When will it be available?

Diamond Problem Solver

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/XFINITY-Stream-Website/Xfinity-Stream-How-To-Enable-Flash-on-a-Google-...

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

@dmdilks wrote:

Ok Lets stop blaming Comcast for this problem. Yes they will have to change. It is not going to happen what to 2020. The only one that is doing this is Google Chrome. So why is Chrome pushing it.  Yahoo, Firefox, or any other sreach engine you only have to click it that 1st time. I can watch it fine without clicking on Adobe every time I want to watch something on Xfinity. That is using those other sreach engines.   

It is August 2019, and Google is NOT the only one doing this.  This same thing now happens with MS Edge.  Also, I think many browsers are going to stop supporting  Flash COMPLETELY before it actually goes away in 2020.  When is Comcast going to release a version of Stream that doesn't require Flash?

Official Employee

JodieNJ, I understand you are anxious about the transition away from Flast. Our XFINITY Stream team is working to make this transition as smooth as possible. Once we are all set with the transition, we will make a formal announcement. 

Ken

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Contributor

@ComcastKenF wrote:

JodieNJ, I understand you are anxious about the transition away from Flast. Our XFINITY Stream team is working to make this transition as smooth as possible. Once we are all set with the transition, we will make a formal announcement. 

Ken

Thank you.

Frequent Visitor

People I use firefox and have no problems. My daughter uses firefox and she has no problem. If you are using windows 10 download adobe flash. Windows 10 has their own flash and doesn't work.

Once you download adobe  flash and install it. Then install firefox and run Xfinity Streaming. It will ask to activate adobe flash. Chick on the manage plugins icon in the tool bar. Make sure you check the box to enable everytime.  

Plus yes I know all about what is going on with flash and 2020. But for now at lease you can run Xfinity streaming without activating everytime. 

Regular Contributor

I have tried Firefox, but I did not do things in the order you described. I will try. It would be nice to be able to bring up TV streaming on my laptop without having to enable flash every time. Just a little bit less annoying.

I’ll let you know if it works for me.
Regular Contributor

@dmdilks wrote:

People I use firefox and have no problems. My daughter uses firefox and she has no problem. If you are using windows 10 download adobe flash. Windows 10 has their own flash and doesn't work.

Once you download adobe  flash and install it. Then install firefox and run Xfinity Streaming. It will ask to activate adobe flash. Chick on the manage plugins icon in the tool bar. Make sure you check the box to enable everytime.  

Plus yes I know all about what is going on with flash and 2020. But for now at lease you can run Xfinity streaming without activating everytime. 

This doesn't work for me.  I get this message, and it won't let me go any further to download.

"Flash Player is integrated with Microsoft Edge in Windows 10.
You do not need to install Flash Player."

Frequent Visitor

Sorry install Firefox first and then you can download through firefox. Yes edge will stop you from downloading it. I just did it on windows 10 computer. 

Silver Problem Solver

I have Flash working in Edge, IE11, and Chrome.  Do not have Firefox installed.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

Or use another browser. I am using Opera for on demand.  The heck with Chrome. 

Regular Contributor

Opera is not going to help you when Flash is retired next year. Comcast needs to update their software to use something other than Flash.
Silver Problem Solver

@JodieNJ wrote:
Opera is not going to help you when Flash is retired next year. Comcast needs to update their software to use something other than Flash.

There are millions of Xfinity Stream users.  Comcast will make the change.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Regular Contributor

I’m curious. Are there millions that stream on their computers/laptops? The streaming I do on my iPhone and iPad do not use flash. And it’s my laptop streaming I’m concerned about.
Silver Problem Solver

@JodieNJ wrote:
I’m curious. Are there millions that stream on their computers/laptops? The streaming I do on my iPhone and iPad do not use flash. And it’s my laptop streaming I’m concerned about.

Don't worry; every Flash website has to change before it goes away.  Streaming is a big revenue stream for Comcast; they won't leave us with nothing because they don't want to lose the revenue.