Community Forum

Adobe Flash for Xfinity Stream

Regular Contributor

Adobe Flash for Xfinity Stream

On the newest Chrome update I was asking Google why Chrome isn't saving my flash settings for Xfinity Stream after a computer restart. Apparently Flash is being phased out and HTML5 is the newest tech. Are there any plans to switch over?

Below is the answer I received:

Starting Chrome 69, every time the user restarts the browser sites using Flash will require an explicit click to run Flash.
That is, previous settings for Flash will not be remembered. https://www.chromium.org/flash-roadmap#TOC-Non-Persisted-HTML5-by-Default-Target:-Chrome-69---Septem... Further and future Chrome updates will require more manual steps and/or make it harder to run Flash content.
Adobe (creator of Flash) in conjunction with all major browsers, has announced to end-of-life Flash by the end of 2020. You can help by asking such websites/webmasters to change to using modern HTML5, which is widely supported by all modern browsers. Please note that chrome://flags/#enable-ephemeral-flash-permission will be removed in the future.
 Reference:
Expert

Re: Adobe Flash for Xfinity Stream

@and_youf wrote:

On the newest Chrome update I was asking over at Google why Chrome isn't saving my flash settings for Xfinity Stream. Apparently Flash is being phased out and HTML5 is the newest tech. Are there any plans to switch over?

Starting Chrome 69, every time the user restarts the browser sites using Flash will require an explicit click to run Flash.  That is, previous settings for Flash will not be remembered.

Further and future Chrome updates will require more manual steps and/or make it harder to run Flash content.  Adobe (creator of Flash) in conjunction with all major browsers, has announced to end-of-life Flash by the end of 2020.

You can help by asking such websites/webmasters to change to using modern HTML5, which is widely supported by all modern browsers.

Please note that chrome://flags/#enable-ephemeral-flash-permission will be removed in the future.

Reference:

I'm using 69.* Chrome and have no issues and never have to change the setting. go to chrome://settings/content/flash and turn off the first switch.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Silver Problem Solver

@Rustyben wrote:

@and_youf wrote:

On the newest Chrome update I was asking over at Google why Chrome isn't saving my flash settings for Xfinity Stream. Apparently Flash is being phased out and HTML5 is the newest tech. Are there any plans to switch over?

Starting Chrome 69, every time the user restarts the browser sites using Flash will require an explicit click to run Flash.  That is, previous settings for Flash will not be remembered.

Further and future Chrome updates will require more manual steps and/or make it harder to run Flash content.  Adobe (creator of Flash) in conjunction with all major browsers, has announced to end-of-life Flash by the end of 2020.

You can help by asking such websites/webmasters to change to using modern HTML5, which is widely supported by all modern browsers.

Please note that chrome://flags/#enable-ephemeral-flash-permission will be removed in the future.

Reference:

I'm using 69.* Chrome and have no issues and never have to change the setting. go to chrome://settings/content/flash and turn off the first switch.

My first switch is turn ask first on/off.  It is on.  Why should I turn it off?

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Expert

flash in Chrome is built in and 'sand-boxed' so that flash can't be used to access data on the user's PC which was the issue with flash security. you can set to ask but won't ask when you get the 3 dots on screen rotating 

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Silver Problem Solver

@Rustyben wrote:

flash in Chrome is built in and 'sand-boxed' so that flash can't be used to access data on the user's PC which was the issue with flash security. you can set to ask but won't ask when you get the 3 dots on screen rotating 

The reason I asked is because I am having issues with navigating the Stream website.  I'll turn it off and see if that makes a difference. 

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Regular Contributor

My first switch is turn ask first on/off.  It is on.  Why should I turn it off?

If I turn it off it just says "all sites blocked" so would not help the issue and like Rusty said is for security but in Chrome flash is pretty safe. 

Regular Contributor

@Rustyben wrote: I'm using 69.* Chrome and have no issues and never have to change the setting. go to chrome://settings/content/flash and turn off the first switch.

Turning off the first switch just disables flash completely so that I cannot select to enable it on the site.

Adding the domain to allowed sites by clicking the lock next to "https" and reloading will put that domain into content settings but upon relaunch even with the domain there it will ask again about flash for that site. It did not do this previously.

There is a flag (chrome://flags/#enable-ephemeral-flash-permission) but that will eventually go away.

Here is more info from Google, people are complaining that it is a surprise for their customers:

Perhaps we should update the link since Stable Chrome 69 is released now.  The direct link to Flash changes for Chrome 69 is:

But you need to read carefully what changes are happening and when.

In current Chrome 69, Flash is still enabled by default, but you need to manually click it to run, each time Chrome is restarted.

In upcoming Chrome 76, the default for Flash will be disabled by default.  It will be necessary to first enable Flash from Chrome settings, at which point explicit permission is still required for each site when the browser is restarted.

Expert

the switch when off leaves flash running. 

flashOff1.jpg

Regular Contributor

Running version 69.0.3497.92 stable. Mine if you turn off the toggle it disables flash completely and you can't allow it to run on the page.

The "flash settings will be kept until you quit Chrome" is an intersting message too. Guess this is why allowing a site does nothing now (even though the domain is sitting there in the "allowed" area). Hope there is a switch to HTML5 soon.

Annotation 2019-01-08 002913.png

Silver Problem Solver

@Rustyben wrote:

the switch when off leaves flash running. 

flashOff1.jpg

Chrome Flash.jpg

Expert

@and_youf wrote:

Running version 69.0.3497.92 stable. I don't have that screen. Mine if you turn off the toggle it disables flash completely and you can't allow it to run on the page.

The "flash settings will be kept until you quit Chrome" is an intersting message too. Guess this is why allowing a site does nothing now (even though the domain is sitting there in the "allowed" area). Hope there is a switch to HTML5 soon.

Flash.PNG

chrome about2.jpg

I have same version. are you running on windows platform? version?

Regular Contributor

@Rustyben wrote:

@and_youf wrote:

Running version 69.0.3497.92 stable. I don't have that screen. Mine if you turn off the toggle it disables flash completely and you can't allow it to run on the page.

Flash.PNG

chrome about2.jpg

I have same version. are you running on windows platform? version?

Okay that's strange. Yes Windows 10/64 17134.285. Checked the desktop and it is the same situation as the laptop.

Silver Problem Solver

I didn't have the latest Google.

Expert

@and_youf wrote:

Yes, they are working on a version of Stream that does not require Flash. Expected to be available soon. 

Expert

@and_youf wrote:

flip that switch (you can't get a notice after flash is requested).

Regular Contributor

Not quite sure what you are saying. If on (which it is) it asks me to reenable (allow) if it is a new browser session. If off then when I click to enable flash there is just no response. It blocks the option to block or allow.

Not a huge concern just an annoyance. I am sure Flash is on the way out.

Expert

@and_youf wrote:

Not quite sure what you are saying. If on (which it is) it asks me to reenable (allow) if it is a new browser session. If off then when I click to enable flash there is just no response. It blocks the option to block or allow.

Not a huge concern just an annoyance. I am sure Flash is on the way out.

the xfinity stream TV website appears to block any popup from flash what would allow you to authorize it. the blinking 3 horizontal dots appear before the popup can be 'called'. setting the switch off fixed the problem.

Regular Contributor

Does not work for me. I am seeing a different interface (instead of "block sites from running flash" I have "ask first (recommended)." I have no problems with popups allowing me to authorize it appearing. If I turn the toggle off the popup is disabled from appearing.

I click "watch"and it takes me to a page with a button to enable adobe. Either I click enable and get the chrome dialogue (if switch is on) or I click enable and nothing happens (if switch is off). When I click enable it then goes to three dots, back to listings page, then three dots and the program loads. Then when I go back to listings they revert back to the beginning even though I'm in the 400's (only does this once after enabling). I can watch but again it is a hassle. Hopefully HTML5 comes soon.

Highlighted
Expert

@and_youf wrote:

Does not work for me. I am seeing a different interface (instead of "block sites from running flash" I have "ask first (recommended)." I have no problems with popups allowing me to authorize it appearing. If I turn the toggle off the popup is disabled from appearing.

I click "watch"and it takes me to a page with a button to enable adobe. Either I click enable and get the chrome dialogue (if switch is on) or I click enable and nothing happens (if switch is off). When I click enable it then goes to three dots, back to listings page, then three dots and the program loads. Then when I go back to listings they revert back to the beginning even though I'm in the 400's (only does this once after enabling). I can watch but again it is a hassle. Hopefully HTML5 comes soon.

repeating: please turn that switch 'off'. the text will change showing the current meaning of the switch.

Frequent Visitor

@Rustyben wrote:

@and_youf wrote:

repeating: please turn that switch 'off'. the text will change showing the current meaning of the switch.

No, it doesn't. Turning the switch to 'off' doesn't change any text. Closing Chrome, restarting the PC then opening Chrome and going to Xfinity to stream a channel tells you Flash is blocked and you must enable Flash in your settings. Enabling it and restarting Chrome brings you right back to being asked if you want to allow Flash to run EVERY time you start Chrome even if the sites are listed as trusted. 

Your solution does not work.

Regular Contributor

Off=everything blocked. It doesn't tell you that you must enable flash like @Dpfaff5 said it just does nothing as if the Xfinity enable flash button on the Stream page is locked. If turned on (Ask first) like in the picture I posted above, Chrome asks to allow upon every restart after I push the now unlocked Xfinity enable flash button. Then it goes through the cycle I described. Before there was no enabling Flash upon every restart nor Chrome ignoring my allowed permissions.

I am not complaining I don't believe there is a solution as seen in the links in the original post about the Flash roadmap and Stream is still functional, just inconvenent with new Chrome. Main goal was to see if HTML5 was in the works.

Plenty of action and upset users about the topic over at Google: https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chrome/3uqrhLEJWds;context-place=forum/chrome

Silver Problem Solver

I fixed mine by installing the latest version of Chrome and turning the switch off.

Frequent Visitor

I've tried that. Totally uninstalling Chrome, then rebooting, then installing Chrome, then verifying Flash is up to date, then turning off the switch. Still doesn't work.

Read this link:

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chrome/3uqrhLEJWds;context-place=forum/chrome

Sarjoor's post at the above link says it all:

"Starting Chrome 69, every time the user restarts the browser sites using Flash will require an explicit click to run Flash.  That is, previous settings for Flash will not be remembered."

In other words, you have to set these settings every time  you open Chrome. So perhaps it's time for Xfinity to switch over their streaming to HTML 5

Expert

demo of the text changing when you select the switch.

see link at https://screencast-o-matic.com/watch/cFQYIqq9Vi 

Frequent Visitor

Why are we nitpicking over this when for a majority of users of Xfinity Stream and Chrome it's not working no matter what you show us. I've spent 10 years as a TS rep for various companies, I know how to research and follow instructions. Point of the matter is this:

When is Xfinity going to switch to HTML 5 since Adobe has openly stated by the end of 2020 there will be no more FLASH. This is a problem for alot of users, NOW. Stop showing us that is works for the 1% out there, as even Google has stated:

Further and future Chrome updates will require more manual steps and/or make it harder to run Flash content.

Read this link: https://www.chromium.org/flash-roadmap#TOC-Upcoming-Changes

It states it right there in black and white. So we want Xfinity to at least step up and say we're working on it or something. All the big kids are working on switching things over from Flash; Apple, Facebook, Microsoft, Mozilla, Unity.

This isn't a Chrome problem as Chrome has stated it's doing this on purpose to support the EoL of Flash.

Regular Contributor

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/TV-Archive/Announcement-and-feedback-thread-TV-Go-is-now-part-of/m-p/2...

Two years ago the streaming website was not using Flash, so dropping Flash should just be a matter of pulling back out the old code. The old website also allowed for setting up recordings online, a feature that was dropped when the current Flash-based site showed up.

Expert

@datsunrobbie wrote:

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/TV-Archive/Announcement-and-feedback-thread-TV-Go-is-now-part-of/m-p/2...

Two years ago the streaming website was not using Flash, so dropping Flash should just be a matter of pulling back out the old code. The old website also allowed for setting up recordings online, a feature that was dropped when the current Flash-based site showed up.

The reason they went with Flash to begin with was at the insistence of the content providers. 

And the reason setting recordings online was dropped was due to  a patent lawsuit brought by Rovi (who acquired TiVo), in which a judge issued an injunction to Comcast to stop using features that allegedly infringed on TiVo's patents, which included that one. 

Regular Contributor

@darkangelic wrote:

@datsunrobbie wrote:

The reason they went with Flash to begin with was at the insistence of the content providers. 

And the reason setting recordings online was dropped was due to  a patent lawsuit brought by Rovi (who acquired TiVo), in which a judge issued an injunction to Comcast to stop using features that allegedly infringed on TiVo's patents, which included that one. 

Rovi sued because they could not come to terms with Comcast to extend the licensing on Rovi's IP.  Comcast quit paying whatever licensing fee that had been paying Rovi and pocketed the savings, customers lost functionality.

Expert

@datsunrobbie wrote:

@darkangelic wrote:

@datsunrobbie wrote:

Rovi sued because they could not come to terms with Comcast to extend the licensing on Rovi's IP.  Comcast quit paying whatever licensing fee that had been paying Rovi and pocketed the savings, customers lost functionality.

And Comcast managed to get several TiVO's patents invalidated in the course of the lawsuit,  with the last one about to be invalidated when the court grants summary judgment in favor of Comcast. 

I'm always happy to see a patent troll lose in court. 

Silver Problem Solver

@Dpfaff5 wrote:

Why are we nitpicking over this when for a majority of users of Xfinity Stream and Chrome it's not working no matter what you show us. I've spent 10 years as a TS rep for various companies, I know how to research and follow instructions. Point of the matter is this:

When is Xfinity going to switch to HTML 5 since Adobe has openly stated by the end of 2020 there will be no more FLASH. This is a problem for alot of users, NOW. Stop showing us that is works for the 1% out there, as even Google has stated:

Further and future Chrome updates will require more manual steps and/or make it harder to run Flash content.

It states it right there in black and white. So we want Xfinity to at least step up and say we're working on it or something. All the big kids are working on switching things over from Flash; Apple, Facebook, Microsoft, Mozilla, Unity.

This isn't a Chrome problem as Chrome has stated it's doing this on purpose to support the EoL of Flash.

That's strange; the Stream website is working with no noticable issues with the latest version of Chrome.

Frequent Visitor

@RobertWy wrote:

@Dpfaff5 wrote:

That's strange; the Stream website is working with no noticable issues with the latest version of Chrome.

So, people just don't seem to be able to read and comprehend IMO. Streaming WORKS

The issue is that despite the fact that Allowing Chrome to run flash on the streaming site, you have to enable this EVERY time. This is by design in the latest version of Chrome and will only get WORSE the closer we get to the END OF LIFE for Flash in 2020.

SOLUTION: Xfinity needs to change their streaming from FLASH to a more SECURE and Tech-updated solution.

And for the record this is the version I am running: Version 69.0.3497.100 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Expert

with switch 'off' we never have to changing anything any day at any time. it just works.

Frequent Visitor

@Rustyben wrote:

with switch 'off' we never have to changing anything any day at any time. it just works.

And we have said, repeatedly, that for US this doesn't work. All doing that does, for us, is blocks flash from even working. Please go back and read what has been said.

Again, in a nutshell, Chrome is forcing people to have to acknowledge that they are enabling flash EVERY time. Eventually, setting your flags in Chrome won't even work as this is a temp thing they put in. But I wouldn't expect a so-called expert to understand this. It's like talking to a wall.

Bronze Problem Solver

For those of you having trouble with xfi streaming in chrome Version 69.0.3497.100 (Official Build) (64-bit)

try this:

enter the following into chrome address: chrome://components

scroll down to flash playeer and hit update

after it updates, try xfi streaming again

This worked on my system

Regular Contributor

Over at r/Comcast_Xfinity they say HTML5 is coming. Eventually it will be adopted and all will go swimmingly again.

Interesting read about the patent cases.

Frequent Visitor

It has nothing to do Xfinity it all has to do with Google Chome. I can use every other bowser out there with not problems. So stop blaming Xfinity. I have tried it on yahoo, explorer, explorer with just google, FireFox with just google. You have to enable them just the 1st time after that you never have to enable it again. So now all I do click on FireFox click on Xfinity TV and I'm watching. 

GOOGLE CHOME FIX YOUR JUNK!!!!!!!! 

Regular Contributor

@dmdilks wrote:

It has nothing to do Xfinity it all has to do with Google Chome. I can use every other bowser out there with not problems. So stop blaming Xfinity. I have tried it on yahoo, explorer, explorer with just google, FireFox with just google. You have to enable them just the 1st time after that you never have to enable it again. So now all I do click on FireFox click on Xfinity TV and I'm watching. 

GOOGLE CHOME FIX YOUR JUNK!!!!!!!! 

Nothing is broken in Chrome. Did you read this thread and the links? Xfinity streaming currently runs on Flash. Google is taking a more proactive approach toward Flash being phased out than Mozilla (Firefox) or Microsoft (Edge, Explorer) and specifically has stated that they will require authorization to enable Flash content on browser restart. Around 7/2019 Chrome will require the user to enable the flash player to run explicitly in settings.  12/2020 Flash will be gone from Chrome (and everywhere else). Flash is an old protocol which Adobe will soon not be supporting (so no security updates). Xfinity will probably switch to HTML5.

Similarily, Google has taken charge in leading the way toward adoption of https. Now when you go to a site that is http it states, alarmingly, in the top left "Not Secure."

As I am the OP I'd like to point out that I am not "blaming" Xfinity. My original post was asking what the plans were moving forward as far as adopting the HTML5 specification.

In early November 2011, Adobe announced that it would discontinue development of Flash for mobile devices and reorient its efforts
in developing tools using HTML 5. Flash has been deprecated and on July 25, 2017, Adobe announced that both the distribution and
support of Flash will cease by the end of 2020.  

New Poster

I thought I had my problem streaming xfinity on my new LG TV (the app promised in Sep 2017 for delivery in 2018 still doesn't exist)  figured out - I would just open the WebOS browser and stream xfinity from there.  Unofrtunately LG's WebOS browser does not support Adobe Flash and since it is a dead product, they have no plan to ever create an extension for it...

Expert

@and_youf wrote:

As I am the OP I'd like to point out that I am not "blaming" Xfinity." My original post was asking what the plans were moving forward as far as adopting the HTML5 specification.

I was hoping it was going to be EME, but given all the controversy surrounding it, I'm not sure this is going to be the way forward. 

Then again, the video content providers have never been a particularly forward thinking bunch. You'd think they'd have learned some lessons from the music industry, which pretty much jettisoned DRM years ago, and they're thriving better than ever. I suspect they'll adopt EME + HTML5,  make it a closed ecosystem, and force it down Comcast's (and our) throats. 

Frequent Visitor

Ok Lets stop blaming Comcast for this problem. Yes they will have to change. It is not going to happen what to 2020. The only one that is doing this is Google Chrome. So why is Chrome pushing it.  Yahoo, Firefox, or any other sreach engine you only have to click it that 1st time. I can watch it fine without clicking on Adobe every time I want to watch something on Xfinity. That is using those other sreach engines.   

Regular Contributor

I'll continue to blame Comcast because they are the ones who switched from a working non-Flash solution. 

Regular Contributor

@datsunrobbie wrote:

I'll continue to blame Comcast because they are the ones who switched from a working non-Flash solution. 

What were they using before Flash?

Regular Contributor

@dmdilks wrote:

Ok Lets stop blaming Comcast for this problem. Yes they will have to change. It is not going to happen what to 2020. The only one that is doing this is Google Chrome. So why is Chrome pushing it.  Yahoo, Firefox, or any other sreach engine you only have to click it that 1st time. I can watch it fine without clicking on Adobe every time I want to watch something on Xfinity. That is using those other sreach engines.   

"Adobe announced last July that it would stop updating Flash at the end of 2020, essentially agreeing with critics that Flash’s history of security flaws that require frequent patches had left it unredeemable. And Google, having spent years trying to secure Flash with such measures as confining that plug-in to a protected “sandbox” isolating its code, is now moving more aggressively than competing browser developers to shoo Flash into the sunset."

Source: https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/columnist/2018/09/24/googles-latest-chrome-update-tightens-locks...

"Even Adobe (they make Flash) told people to stop using Flash last year, so really, Google’s update is for the best."

Source: https://www.theverge.com/2016/12/9/13903878/google-chrome-block-flash-html5

Regular Contributor

Check out this thread from 2016, it might be in there. The Flash rollout was not pretty...

Regular Contributor

@datsunrobbie wrote:

Check out this thread from 2016, it might be in there. The Flash rollout was not pretty...

Should have taken a sedative before taking a look at that. From what I gather they needed to add Flash for DRM on top of HTML5 which is what the site is built on. So my original question is misinformed and @darkangelic's 12/11 reply makes more sense now.

Regular Contributor

@kadinslc wrote:

I thought I had my problem streaming xfinity on my new LG TV (the app promised in Sep 2017 for delivery in 2018 still doesn't exist)  figured out - I would just open the WebOS browser and stream xfinity from there.  Unofrtunately LG's WebOS browser does not support Adobe Flash and since it is a dead product, they have no plan to ever create an extension for it...

Well they have two more days. That sounds frustrating but it has to be coming. So they had planned it in beta for Sony and LG by end of 2018. I've heard good things about it from Samsung users. It took me a second to wrap my head around. Thought wait why would Xfinity want a streaming app for TV's!? You'll never get one. Then thought I'm being dumb of course they want an app. Get the X1 interface (IMO excellent) on as many Smart TV's as possible. 

Regular Visitor

I have tried with all my browser, Firefox, Chrome, Edge, IE and after I click the enable and allow flash to run, it's still doesn't work. Almost like Xfinity is preventing it. I can't use Xfinity Stream on my Computer anymore. 

Expert

@lizmiranda wrote:

I have tried with all my browser, Firefox, Chrome, Edge, IE and after I click the enable and allow flash to run, it's still doesn't work. Almost like Xfinity is preventing it. I can't use Xfinity Stream on my Computer anymore. 

what error message do you see? while on the stream page did you right click on the url 'lock' icon and enable flash always for xfinity?

Silver Problem Solver

@lizmiranda wrote:

Then your setup is not like mine; it works with Chrome on my Win10 computer.

You might need to explore the Chrome Settings for an option to resolve this.

Regular Contributor

I'm sure Comcast got a lot of pressure from NBC to use Flash for DRM, but that does not change the fact that they had a site that worked much better, without Flash, prior to rolling out the current app that is still in Beta over a year later.  Adobe plans to end Flash at the end of 2020, so I'm wondering already how many years Comcast will have no streaming service at all once Flash is gone.