Community Forum

xi6 4k coming soon

Regular Contributor

xi6 4k coming soon

Xi6 4k box started employee trials, should be launched soon.Should be a better 4k box than the v4.

Expert

Re: xi6 4k coming soon

Well I hope it is a single cable-box (4k) that can replace my Cisco RNG 150N hd cable-box.

I am not looking forward to dealing with a separate 4K DVR box and extra monthly rental fee. I have no need for recording shows.

Silver Problem Solver

minitech wrote:

Xi6 4k box started employee trials, should be launched soon.Should be a better 4k box than the v4.

Guess it is HDR-capable?

https://www.xfinity.com/support/cable-tv/x1-hub-vs-companion-box/

I thught the XG1v4 was HDR-capable.

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/XG1v4-TV-Box/m-p/2907630#M129152

Maybe the Xi6 will support HDR10.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Expert

RobertWy wrote:

minitech wrote:

Guess it is HDR-capable?

If I recall correctly, the FCC filing for the Xg1v4 says it is (open source) HDR10 capable.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here(updated).
Expert

MNtundraRET wrote:

Well I hope it is a single cable-box (4k) that can replace my Cisco RNG 150N hd cable-box.

I am not looking forward to dealing with a separate 4K DVR box and extra monthly rental fee. I have no need for recording shows.

is there a need for the rng150's Component jacks?

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here(updated).
Silver Problem Solver

Rustyben wrote:

RobertWy wrote:

minitech wrote:

Guess it is HDR-capable?

If I recall correctly, the FCC filing for the Xg1v4 says it is (open source) HDR10 capable.

So what does the Xi6 provide that the XG1v4 doesn't, is the question.  Google doesn't offer much help.

Expert

Rusty:

I only have a 4K HDMI compliant cable going from the Cisco box to the hub on my Samsung 3D UHD television. My Sony Suround Sound box and Sony 3D 4K up-scaling Player are connected with HDMI cables to the television hub.

Since we have DSL delivered on opitcal cable to our WiFi modem/router, all signals are passed over Wifi to: Tv, Sony player, HP printer, Lenovo computer, and 2 Kindle HD tablets.

If I were to upgrade my S.S. system to one with Blu-Tooth speakers we would be almost wireless.

Silver Problem Solver

MNtundraRET wrote:

Rusty:

I only have a 4K HDMI compliant cable going from the Cisco box to the hub on my Samsung 3D UHD television. My Sony Suround Sound box and Sony 3D 4K up-scaling Player are connected with HDMI cables to the television hub.

Since we have DSL delivered on opitcal cable to our WiFi modem/router, all signals are passed over Wifi to: Tv, Sony player, HP printer, Lenovo computer, and 2 Kindle HD tablets.

If I were to upgrade my S.S. system to one with Blu-Ray speakers we would be almost wireless.

"Blu-Ray speakers"?

Expert

I meant Blu-tooth speakers. I edited my last post. The speakers are wireless.

Regular Contributor

No its not like a RNG150 box, needs a xg1 for a tuner, but its a ip box like the xi5 & can be used as a stand alone box like your RNG 150 but be able to use the cloud dvr service if you sign up.Not all ip box service is available yet.

Expert

Thank you Minitech. I was afraid that would be the case.

Being on DSL optical cable has given me absolutely no problems watching 4K programing on apps, or Comcast " Ultra HD Sampler" app when working, through my Samsung UHD tv. I did get to watch all programming of that app since around April 2016 if I was really careful using the app.

Gold Problem Solver

"Xi" suggests it is a tuner less box and will need an XG device in conjuction to work.

I believe this box is a "Companion" to the XG1V4, not a replacement as minitech is suggesting.

MNtundraRET wrote:

Expert

RickGr4 wrote:

"Xi" suggests it is a tuner less box and will need an XG device in conjuction to work.

I believe this box is a "Companion" to the XG1V4, not a replacement as minitech is suggesting.

MNtundraRET wrote:

I guess in any case that means I would need additional boxes from Comcast to replace my one HD box. Any extra equipment from Comcast just leads to more grief, and either / or higher monthly fees. I am hoping for just one cable-box by the time they have 4K linear cable.  

Regular Contributor

You will need a comcast gateway for the xi5 or xi6 to work, that means switching to comcast for your internet service.I had dsl & comcast cable to way back when but saved a ton of dough by switching all my services to comcast, TV,INTERNET,PHONE, & one bill for all.To what RickGr4 said is true right now but the xi5 & xi6 are ip boxes and can stand alone.I know this because i tried it allready by disableing my xg1 box & my xi5 worked all functions. As of this week it will only work for on demand & recordings without a xg1 box.I will recheck my source later today, if im wrong about this i will let yo know, but as far as i know the xi5 & xi6 4k box will be totally a stand alone ip box.Oh by the way, the pix quallity is better on these boxes even better than a xg1v3 or a xg1v4.I have a xg1v4 & a xi5.So you would see a better pix if you decide to go with a xi5 or xi6 box.

Expert

Well the DW retired from phone company management years ago. That means free landline phone, and a break on cell-phone being billed through them, plus no contract on DSL optical service part of bill netting out less than $25. per month.

No way would we ever switch to Comcast internet which is not over optical cable.

Regular Contributor

Oh, i see your point.The xfinity tv app thats in beta right now thats only on a roku device might be the way to go when its available for 4k smart tv or apple tv.But i like the ease of the comcast box & my xi5 like the xi6 are wireless, no cable needed like your rng150. Just plug in a hdmi & pwr your ready to go.

Regular Contributor

Just had a thought, ever happened to you it just happened to me.The comcast wireless boxes require a wifi modem that has moca capabilities, so i dont know if the comcast gateway is prioritized for its boxes or you can use any modem that has moca capabilities will work.That might be something to look into or somebody on the forums could answer, or since the xi5 & xi6 are ip that any wifi modem with 5g will work later on.

Silver Problem Solver

The gateway moca needs to be enabled.

Gold Problem Solver

I don't see how an Xi box can pull linear cable channels without an XG box involved. On Demand and cloud recording I can understand but not linear channels.

Need a tuner for linear channels..................

Sorry but I think there is some speculation and guesswork going on here. I am HIGHLY skeptical.

minitech wrote:

You will need a comcast gateway for the xi5 or xi6 to work, that means switching to comcast for your internet service.I had dsl & comcast cable to way back when but saved a ton of dough by switching all my services to comcast, TV,INTERNET,PHONE, & one bill for all.To what RickGr4 said is true right now but the xi5 & xi6 are ip boxes and can stand alone.I know this because i tried it allready by disableing my xg1 box & my xi5 worked all functions. As of this week it will only work for on demand & recordings without a xg1 box.I will recheck my source later today, if im wrong about this i will let yo know, but as far as i know the xi5 & xi6 4k box will be totally a stand alone ip box.Oh by the way, the pix quallity is better on these boxes even better than a xg1v3 or a xg1v4.I have a xg1v4 & a xi5.So you would see a better pix if you decide to go with a xi5 or xi6 box.

Regular Contributor

Nope no speculation here, there are 2 test markets now using xi5 boxes as stand alone. The channels were moved around & set up as ip channels.The xi6 will have 2.4g as well as 5g wifi settings.The ip option was tested in my area & will be available full time shortly.

Gold Problem Solver

Yes and the picture quality will look no better than cloud DVR does. Count me out.