Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

xi5 4k

Regular Contributor

xi5 4k

I heard that the xi5 is 4k capable but not yet enabled, has anybody heard this & when it would be enabled since the xi6 has dropped off the map.

Problem Solver

Re: xi5 4k

It is wi-fi enabled and not 4K capable.

The only 4K box is being tested now. Check the reports on the top of the X1 forum. If you heard it elsewhere, it might be possible in the future, but nothing from Comcast.

It also seems the box has many problems from a running post here on the forum.

minitech wrote:

I heard that the xi5 is 4k capable but not yet enabled, has anybody heard this & when it would be enabled since the xi6 has dropped off the map.

Regular Contributor

I heard this from a district manager.

Expert

minitech wrote:

I heard this from a district manager.

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/Xi5-TV-Box/td-p/2860100

|

Does the Wireless TV box support 4K/Ultra HD resolution?

No, the Wireless TV box does not support 4K/Ultra HD resolution at this time.

Regular Contributor

Also the xi5 is a great little box,its operating 3 out of 4 bars & produces a great picture.The xi4 was suppose to be the 4k companion box but got nixed & the xi6 was suppose to be the 4k companion box but crickets on it, that's what made me think the xi5 will support 4k after all bugs are out of the xg1v4.I have some info on the xg1v4 if anybody interested since i have had one for awhile & whats up with the v4 issues.

Problem Solver

So far; I am finding plenty of UHD/HDR,  1080P, on You Tube for free. Since I have DSL on optical cable I really have no need at all for Comcast except for some desired cable channels; still available but down-graded to 720p.

The problem is that Comcast's boxes are designed to handle both standard cable and now steaming programing over high-speed Internet. None of their boxes compare to companies dealing in steaming video over broad-band only. Comcast quality is just adequate at best.

Expert

MNtundraRET wrote:

So far; I am finding plenty of UHD/HDR,  1080P, on You Tube for free. Since I have DSL on optical cable I really have no need at all for Comcast except for some desired cable channels; still available but down-graded to 720p.

The problem is that Comcast's boxes are designed to handle both standard cable and now steaming programing over high-speed Internet. None of their boxes compare to companies dealing in steaming video over broad-band only. Comcast quality is just adequate at best.

the producers of the entertainment are suppling their feeds to comcast in mpeg"5"(HEVC) low bit rate 720p* not sure why you feel that is downgraded as it is full-on progressive stream.

Problem Solver

We both know if Comcast cared about high-end users they would have converted at least some of the more popular 1080i channels to 1080p.  Smiley Wink

I should have added this would be possible now with the 4K cable-box coming on line about now.

Expert

MNtundraRET wrote:

We both know if Comcast cared about high-end users they would have converted at least some of the more popular 1080i channels to 1080p.  Smiley Wink

I should have added this would be possible now with the 4K cable-box coming on line about now.

eventually the networks/producers may put in higher resolution original but they may skip 4k and upgrade to 8k from 720p.