Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

xg1v4

Regular Visitor

xg1v4

I just swapped out my regular X1 primary box for an XG1v4-A 4K box.  The new box does not have any audio or optical output ports.  I used component cables to connect my old X1 box to my surround sound receiver.  I was able to still achieve sound from the new box by going HDMI from XG1 box to Surround Sound receiver, and then HDMI out of the receiver to the TV.  Does that essentially "break" the 4K signal then, since I am not going HDMI from XG1 box to the TV?  Any other suggestions on how to integrate this box with my surround sound?  I have a Samsung fairly recent receiver.  

Also, strangely, every time I turn on the TV/AV combo, I have to reset the audio input on the receiver, and then go through the settop setup screens for naming the device and pairing the remote to the TV and the AV receiver?  Any ideas?  Thanks in advance!

Accepted Solutions
Regular Visitor

Re: xg1v4

Resolved - our receiver was not ARC compatible, so we had to go through audio ports on the TV and receiver for the sound.  Off to the store to get an HDMI 2.0 cable for the set top to TV connection.  Thanks everyone!

All Replies
Problem Solver

@lisawiedmeyer wrote:

I just swapped out my regular X1 primary box for an XG1v4-A 4K box.  The new box does not have any audio or optical output ports.  I used component cables to connect my old X1 box to my surround sound receiver.  I was able to still achieve sound from the new box by going HDMI from XG1 box to Surround Sound receiver, and then HDMI out of the receiver to the TV.  Does that essentially "break" the 4K signal then, since I am not going HDMI from XG1 box to the TV?  Any other suggestions on how to integrate this box with my surround sound?  I have a Samsung fairly recent receiver.  

Also, strangely, every time I turn on the TV/AV combo, I have to reset the audio input on the receiver, and then go through the settop setup screens for naming the device and pairing the remote to the TV and the AV receiver?  Any ideas?  Thanks in advance!

You are not going to receive any 4K video signal from the 4K box without having a 4K compatible HDMI cable attached directly from the box to your 4k television. Your surround sound system must be attached to your 4K tv with either a HDMI cable or an optal cable for 5.1 speakers. Use the HDMI ARC port on the tv. There is absolutely no reason to connect to the cable-box for sound. Audio and video both pass from 4K DVR to the tv on the HDMI cable.

Official Employee

If your receiver doesn’t have 4K capability, it will “break” the 4K signal as you put it. Do you have tv audio outputs to instead go from dvr to tv to receiver, keeping 4K intact (you didn’t say if tv is 4K)
Regular Visitor

I'm doing as the other responder suggested - settop to 4K TV with HDMI.  Receiver to TV in the HDMI ARC port.  I've tried HDMI in and out on the receiver and I'm not getting sound.  suggestions welcome - i'm pulling out manuals now.

Regular Visitor

Thanks - I have swapped cables and have settop to TV going into HDM1 on 4K TV.  Then from HDMI Out on the Receiver to the HDMI ARC port on the 4K TV.  No sound.  Switched to HDMI In on the receiver.  No sound.  THe HDMI cable i have between my settop and TV is not HDMI 2.0 - but I should still be able to get audio and video with what I have, I would think?  I have played with the inputs on both TV and receiver - not getting sound.  I can get video.

Regular Visitor

Resolved - our receiver was not ARC compatible, so we had to go through audio ports on the TV and receiver for the sound.  Off to the store to get an HDMI 2.0 cable for the set top to TV connection.  Thanks everyone!

Expert

@lisawiedmeyer wrote:

HDMI cable provided will work just fine (with the set top box).