Community Forum

xg1v4 bluetooth and a/v sync

Regular Contributor

xg1v4 bluetooth and a/v sync

In my previous setup, I cabled digital audio out to my receiver, and all was well.  Now I have the xg1v4, and I am forced to use all HDMI...which wasn't a problem, until now.   It's about the bluetooth feature.

When I connect to bluetooth, the audio is noticeably ahead of the video.  I figured that it may be due tot he fact that the video feed has to go thru my receiver, (no digital audio out on the v4), then on to the TV, inroducing a delay.  However, if I do a little dance, unplug/replug, change channels, cycle power, etc., I sometimes can get the A/V to sync. when using BT.  All I have to do is change the channel, and the problem returns.  I have "adjust sync" features on my DVD player and my receiver, but nothing on the xg1v4 (that I'm aware of).

I've tried various headphones and a few BT speakers.  None are better than others.  All I can find online is an FAQ response that says the X1 system "constantly adjusting to maintain A/V sync."  If this is true, then it's not working.  Then again, how would it know  what delays may be downstream. 

I didn't even check to see  if a direct connection from the DVR to my TV is better, because I need the current cabling to use my receiver.  Cabling into my TV, then out to the receiver from the  TV will not get me Dolby (per TV manual), so that's a non-starter.

Looks like I'm stuck, unless I can mess with a BT delay setting hidden in the box.  I just thought I'd post here to see what others have to say.  Thanks!

Silver Problem Solver

Re: xg1v4 bluetooth and a/v sync

@lawnguru wrote:

In my previous setup, I cabled digital audio out to my receiver, and all was well.  Now I have the xg1v4, and I am forced to use all HDMI...which wasn't a problem, until now.   It's about the bluetooth feature.

When I connect to bluetooth, the audio is noticeably ahead of the video.  I figured that it may be due tot he fact that the video feed has to go thru my receiver, (no digital audio out on the v4), then on to the TV, inroducing a delay.  However, if I do a little dance, unplug/replug, change channels, cycle power, etc., I sometimes can get the A/V to sync. when using BT.  All I have to do is change the channel, and the problem returns.  I have "adjust sync" features on my DVD player and my receiver, but nothing on the xg1v4 (that I'm aware of).

I've tried various headphones and a few BT speakers.  None are better than others.  All I can find online is an FAQ response that says the X1 system "constantly adjusting to maintain A/V sync."  If this is true, then it's not working.  Then again, how would it know  what delays may be downstream. 

I didn't even check to see  if a direct connection from the DVR to my TV is better, because I need the current cabling to use my receiver.  Cabling into my TV, then out to the receiver from the  TV will not get me Dolby (per TV manual), so that's a non-starter.

Looks like I'm stuck, unless I can mess with a BT delay setting hidden in the box.  I just thought I'd post here to see what others have to say.  Thanks!

I swapped my DVR for the 4k DVR just for the bluetooth support.  My wife uses it at night because she is a nightowl.  She says the audio isn't quite in sync, but it doesn't really bother her.  I had to buy a second set of BT headphones because the first set wouldn't stay sync'ed.  It sounds like you have already tried that.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Expert

@lawnguru wrote:

the blue tooth connection is normally for a headset. the HDMI digital audio is much more capable than coaxial audio or uisng fiber Toslink cables (they are superceded by the digital audio stream via HDMI. 'if' you are connecting your sound bar by blue tooth you will need to use your TV's menu/remote to change the lipsync setting. 

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

My current setup has HDMI connection directly from box to TV. No receiver involved now.  Audio and video on TV spot on. When I listen to the audio on a Bluetooth headset, the audio is not even close.   

Expert

@lawnguru wrote:

My current setup has HDMI connection directly from box to TV. No receiver involved now.  Audio and video on TV spot on. When I listen to the audio on a Bluetooth headset, the audio is not even close.   

lipsync is a TV function so when you change to bluetooth change the TV setting to match for lipsync.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Contributor

The audio sent over BT by the STB is not in sync with the video on my TV. I have no such setting on my TV that can control the audio transmitted by the XG1v4. 

I can control sync on my TV as it relates to audio out to a receiver.

No worries...I’m giving up.

Expert

@lawnguru wrote:

The audio sent over BT by the STB is not in sync with the video on my TV. I have no such setting on my TV that can control the audio transmitted by the XG1v4. 

I can control sync on my TV as it relates to audio out to a receiver.

No worries...I’m giving up.

flat screen digital TVs (not monitors not projection, not CRT) have a menu adjustment that moves the video ahead or behind of the sync signal for mpeg streams. What brand/model do you have so we can look up the manual and help you adjust as needed using your TV remote?

Regular Contributor

I have a Samsung.  I can adjust the audio delay on the TV.  However, it’s downstream from the BT "audio out," so it has no effect.  It does affect the digital audio out from the TV to the receiver.

the audio from the TV's internal speakers is in perfect sync with the video.

thanks.

Expert

@lawnguru wrote:

I have a Samsung.  I can adjust the audio delay on the TV.  However, it’s downstream from the BT "audio out," so it has no effect.  It does affect the digital audio out from the TV to the receiver.

the audio from the TV's internal speakers is in perfect sync with the video.

thanks.

does your TV offer bluetooth connection for a headset? are you using the set top box blue tooth?

Regular Contributor

Set top.  No option on TV. 

After a a few hours of testing, I can safely say that the sync drifts in and out. There are times where it’s spot on, and other times where it’s way off.   I’ve tested with a few devices, but still can’t say where to lay blame...transmitter, receiver, both?

oh well...

New Poster

I seem to be having the same problem.

My set top box is connected to the TV via HDMI.   Perfect sound and in sync.

I am using wireless B/T headphones since I have a hard time making out conversations due to hearing loss.

When using the headphones, I can hear the TV sound and it does not match up with the sound I am hearing throgh the B/T headphones (not in sync).

Prior to getting the B/T headphones, I was using Sony RF modulated wireless headphones connected via audio out 3.5mm on the TV.  That was perfect.

Any fixes out there?

Silver Problem Solver

@robinsal1989 wrote:

I seem to be having the same problem.

My set top box is connected to the TV via HDMI.   Perfect sound and in sync.

I am using wireless B/T headphones since I have a hard time making out conversations due to hearing loss.

When using the headphones, I can hear the TV sound and it does not match up with the sound I am hearing throgh the B/T headphones (not in sync).

Prior to getting the B/T headphones, I was using Sony RF modulated wireless headphones connected via audio out 3.5mm on the TV.  That was perfect.

Any fixes out there?

I mute my TV when I use my B/T and I have noticed a slight difference.  I had a different B/T at first and had connection issues.  You might try a different brand B/T - I like to have a spare.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

While that works, other people in the room can't watch TV with me.

Expert

One point not brought up here yet is that not all Blue-tooth devices used in this new technology are compatible between manufacturers.   My Samsung (2015) 3D UHD television uses Real 3D glasses over a Blue-tooth. They are compatible with Sony 3D glasses.

My wife got a new Fit Bit that would connect through Blue-tooth instead of WiFi.  It has more functions that only work through Blu-tooth. My Lenovo AIO computer as Blue-tooth and runs Windows 10. Her Fitbit cannot connect to the Lenovo even with the Lenovo being capable of loading the Fitbit program. After calling the company she finds out the Fitbit is only compatible with Apple products: I-Pad, I-Phone, etc. She ended up exchanging for the older style Fitbit.

Your current Blue-tooth headset may not be compatible with the other equipment.

You could do what I do. Which is to just buy a conventional stereo headet using the conventional output plug found on televisions. Purchase and extension audio cable to reach where you are sitting. The headset will work fine with ether tv speakers "on", or 5.1 surround sound speakers "on". I happen to have the headset connected to my Sony 40" (sound muted) tv with my wife watching the 65" Samsung 3D UHD tv (side by side).

Frequent Visitor

I have a 2015 samsung un55js700dfxza got in 2016.  The audio is not in sync with my everest 700 earphones.  There are settings but nothing works.  Switched to the xfinity  4k dvr box with bluetooth.  The comcast 4k dvr bluetooth is fine for me.  It is in sync.  There is no lag like on my tv.  Straight from the dvr to my headphones and no lag.  Lips line perfectly.