Community Forum

xfinity box blue light brightens at night

Frequent Visitor

xfinity box blue light brightens at night

I have turned off the blue light on the xfinity cabel box in the bedroom. But overnight the blue light somes back on automatically. When I check the settings, the light off is stilled checked.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: xfinity box blue light brightens at night

Do you have X1?

The X1 boxes do reboot nightly, so the light may light up breifly during that reboot period. You can also try just turning the brightness down to 1 to see if that has any impact on the light during the reboot.

Frequent Visitor

I  didn't know the X! boxes rebooted every night.  I have never had so much trouble with cable as the last two weeks of the new X1 boxes.  

I will try to just dim the light on the bedroom box and see if it still reboots to bright. Thanks

Valued Contributor

Mangomama wrote:

I have turned off the blue light on the xfinity cabel box in the bedroom. But overnight the blue light somes back on automatically. When I check the settings, the light off is stilled checked.

Black electrical tape, same as what you can use to fix the Check Engine Light in the car.

Frequent Visitor

Two of three boxes working. Tape worked overr third one.

Contributor

How do you turn the brightness down? I just got one of these boxes yesterday and my bedroom was all a glow with blue light last night.  

Silver Problem Solver

http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/x1-settings-index/

"Device Settings allows you to control the brightness of the lights on your set-top box, turn Closed Captioning on/off, turn voice control on/off, set audio/video resolution settings, and manage the screensaver or device name.

• Closed Captioning settings are accessed in the Availability Settings."

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Contributor

Thank you!!

New Poster

I have been waking up about the same time every night since we got xfinity with one of those small boxes in our room. Occasional I notice the light blinking for about 30 seconds or so. I imagine it's doing it every night which wakes me up but prob not enough or fully awake to catch the blinking every time consciously. Doesn't xfinity realize blue light interferes with the sleep cycle??? Gonna try the black tape method!

Gold Problem Solver

mellooney wrote:

I have been waking up about the same time every night since we got xfinity with one of those small boxes in our room. Occasional I notice the light blinking for about 30 seconds or so. I imagine it's doing it every night which wakes me up but prob not enough or fully awake to catch the blinking every time consciously. Doesn't xfinity realize blue light interferes with the sleep cycle??? Gonna try the black tape method!

It's blinking because it is doing its nightly reboot.... ( 2am - 4am ).  You have the option in settings to dim or turn Off the power light.

The Support Forums are "public" forums and you should not post identifiable information - (full name, account number, address, phone numbers & email addresses).  Users of these forums are Comcast customers, the same as you & me and volunteer their time to assist with the issues and/or problems that you may be experiencing. Comcast Official Employees (OE) are identified with RED lettered User Names. Comcast Appointed Experts are identified with GREEN lettered User Names.

New Poster

Thanks. I have set the blue light to "off", so normally it is off. However, when it updates, the light does come back on and blinks. I've taken someone else' advice on the forum and covered it with electrical tape.
New Poster

Black Electrical tape!!! Finally sleep. 

New Poster

It's only been 3 days with xfinity1 boxes for us & I got to agree with you on that. We miss our old comcast boxes already!!
New Poster

I have the Xfinity Model PX032ANI box and have problem with BRIGHT BLUE Flashing LED in the middle of the night. I have been woken up many times in the middle of the night, I think I am going to get my christmas light timer and plug that box into it and have it turn the power off at night when I should be sleeping. Foring the huge money I pay for this service this is extreemely frustating

Silver Problem Solver

TC63 wrote:

I have the Xfinity Model PX032ANI box and have problem with BRIGHT BLUE Flashing LED in the middle of the night. I have been woken up many times in the middle of the night, I think I am going to get my christmas light timer and plug that box into it and have it turn the power off at night when I should be sleeping. Foring the huge money I pay for this service this is extreemely frustating

Have you considered covering the light with something like black tape?  Many others here have done the same.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
New Poster

I shouldn't have to go out of my way to put black tape over a light. With all the settings these boxes have, when I turn the light off, it should stay off. They know these boxes are in bedrooms, the blue light is disruptive to sleep and dimming it didn't help.
Regular Visitor

It is a shame that we have to cover the light with tape. Comcast does NOT care about its customers, as demonstrated by the design of the box, using this lighting system.

New Poster

True that. After many wakeful nights with the new little black box, I realized last night that I was being awakened at the same time every night by flickering blue lights on the box. I searched on the internet to no avail. I decided to look on the Remote. Here is what I discovered: Press the Xfinity button on the Xfinity remote control. Using the remote, go to the Settings icon. Click on Settings, then click Preferences, click General, scroll down to Daily Update Time. Click on that and you will find a range of time preferences. Highlight what appeals to you. It should take care of the problem of blue lights waking you up in the middle of the night. I don’t know why Xfinity can’t be more forthcoming about this, but when have they ever been forthcoming about anything? Hope this helps.

New Poster

I’d be curious to know how long the box keeps your preferences. Maybe it’s better now, but at the original time I posted this issue (2-3 years ago now?) it seems my preferences were constantly reset. I haven’t had a problem since I covered the light with black tape.