Community Forum

x1 loses signal intermittently via hdmi and receiver

Contributor

x1 loses signal intermittently via hdmi and receiver

I had my x1 dvr box hooked up to my denon avr-e400 receiver with an hdmi cable and also hdmi from receiver to samsungPN64F8500 tv. Occasionally the signal would drop out and I would get a black screen (sometimes accompanied with a flash of snow or solid color) followed by my tv telling me that there is no device connected to the hdmi port and to check the connections.

I have tried a few different hdmi cables but all seem to have the same issue. If I connect the dvr directly to the tv, there is no issue.
The receiver is only a couple of months old and does not drop signal like this with other sources such as bluray or laptop. I have the latest firmware from denon. And I have strong doubts that this is an issue with the receiver.

And also, we experienced this same issue when we first got our x1 installed, but before I purchased the receiver. Dvr was connected directly to the tv. I assumed it was an issue with the hdmi cable. But the problem seemed to fix itself. I assume an update from comcast was the solution.

Please advise.
Gold Problem Solver

Re: x1 loses signal intermittently via hdmi and receiver

Set the X1 box to 1080i and see what happens.

kbf419 wrote:
I had my x1 dvr box hooked up to my denon avr-e400 receiver with an hdmi cable and also hdmi from receiver to samsung tv. Occasionally the signal would drop out and I would get a black screen (sometimes accompanied with a flash of snow or solid color) followed by my tv telling me that there is no device connected to the hdmi port and to check the connections.

I have tried a few different hdmi cables but all seem to have the same issue. If I connect the dvr directly to the tv, there is no issue.
The receiver is only a couple of months old and does not drop signal like this with other sources such as bluray or laptop. I have the latest firmware from denon. And I have strong doubts that this is an issue with the receiver.

And also, we experienced this same issue when we first got our x1 installed, but before I purchased the receiver. Dvr was connected directly to the tv. I assumed it was an issue with the hdmi cable. But the problem seemed to fix itself. I assume an update from comcast was the solution.

Please advise.

Contributor

It is and has been set to 1080i for a while now. I experimented with 1080p settings a while back but the picture seems crisper on 1080i
Gold Problem Solver

kbf419 wrote:
It is and has been set to 1080i for a while now. I experimented with 1080p settings a while back but the picture seems crisper on 1080i

If you are getting the flashing when set to 1080i, sorry but I don't have an answer for you. Most people are getting the flashing problem when set to 1080p.

New Poster

I would be willing to wager that they pushed something over the past week to Pace boxes.

I have the same issue with mine, and I've tried different cables, a different A/V receiver, and every setting from 720p through 1080p. 

Contributor

Is there anyone from comcast that can confirm this?
Contributor

Surely there is someone who knows the cause of this and a possible solution.
Valued Contributor

kbf419 wrote:
I had my x1 dvr box hooked up to my denon avr-e400 receiver with an hdmi cable and also hdmi from receiver to samsungPN64F8500 tv. Occasionally the signal would drop out and I would get a black screen (sometimes accompanied with a flash of snow or solid color) followed by my tv telling me that there is no device connected to the hdmi port and to check the connections.

Please advise.

The facts that:

1) When you connect the DVR directly to the TV, there is no problem.

2) When you connect the DVR to your Denon receiver, there is a problem.

suggest that your receiver is having a problem dealing with the HDMI input from the DVR.  It could be a handshake issue.  Something is distrubing the receiver and resulting in gaps in the video in the HDMI output to the TV.  No one here is going to be able to tell you why.  Have you contacted Denon?  If it's a common issue, they should know about it.

I can tell you this, my son has a Sony STR-DN2010 connected between his Pace X1 DVR and his Sony XBR-52HX909 TV and has never had a problem with video dropouts. 

Contributor

I believe I've got it figured out.

Not an issue with the denon or any of my equipment. The problem seems to lie in the hdmi cables that comcast provided during the installatIon.

The cables they gave me seem to have a bit of play in them when connected to the dvr port. I noticed if I slightly wiggled the cable that the picture would go in and out. I tried another cable, also supplied by comcast, and had the same issue.

I wasn't having the problem when I connected directly to the tv because I have a high speed "in wall" grade cable permanently running through the wall to my tv, which apparently had a better connection.

I currently have a rubber band holding the comcast hdmi cable firmly in place to test the theory. And have not experienced any signal loss for about 48 hours now.

Looks like after a trip to the shack and I will be able to put this all behind me.

Thanks to all who attempted to help me resolve this issue!