Community Forum

x1 freezing and locking up

New Poster

x1 freezing and locking up

Me and 2 other family members upgraded to the x1 platform only 2 months ago , and we have the same issue it freezes up or locks up espesially when ffw through commercials and hitting other buttons too fast . there are many threads as well as video's online explainingt the same issue . If I had to guess it is a software Issue most likely a Known issue ! I have had Dishnetwork and direct tv in the past, I even worked for dishnetwork as an Advanced Tech for years before I left and I have to say I have never had such a glitchy DVR in my home , Nor have I ever seen such gross incompetence from a tv provider !  I was litterally Lied to by several agents getting this set up , they not only set me up with the wrong equiptment and had to give me the x1 but they also lied to me about the price I would pay for services . After my install I found the tech left a messy install in my basment which I had to resolve myself because I wouldn't trust a comcast tech with screwing in a light bulb after the install I recieved ! The tech litterally left the switch/splitter box hanging from the coax cables off the rafters with a rats nest of cables not one tye strap or screw to mount it properly ! The laughable part of it all is they tell me I am under a two year commitment when I called because they screwed my 1st mo bill up and I was never told about any commitment by the tech or cust. service reps nor did I sign any paperwork so If I leave good luck with charging me with anything ! And before some Comcast nuckle head tells me it's low signal then explain how a family memebr 15 miles away has the same issue and the thousands of complaints online with the same issue ? Fix your software comcast and stop passing the buck ! 

Tags (1)
Expert

Re: x1 freezing and locking up

Graywulf wrote:

Me and 2 other family members upgraded to the x1 platform only 2 months ago , and we have the same issue it freezes up or locks up espesially when ffw through commercials and hitting other buttons too fast . there are many threads as well as video's online explainingt the same issue . If I had to guess it is a software Issue most likely a Known issue ! I have had Dishnetwork and direct tv in the past, I even worked for dishnetwork as an Advanced Tech for years before I left and I have to say I have never had such a glitchy DVR in my home , Nor have I ever seen such gross incompetence from a tv provider !  I was litterally Lied to by several agents getting this set up , they not only set me up with the wrong equiptment and had to give me the x1 but they also lied to me about the price I would pay for services . After my install I found the tech left a messy install in my basment which I had to resolve myself because I wouldn't trust a comcast tech with screwing in a light bulb after the install I recieved ! The tech litterally left the switch/splitter box hanging from the coax cables off the rafters with a rats nest of cables not one tye strap or screw to mount it properly ! The laughable part of it all is they tell me I am under a two year commitment when I called because they screwed my 1st mo bill up and I was never told about any commitment by the tech or cust. service reps nor did I sign any paperwork so If I leave good luck with charging me with anything ! And before some Comcast nuckle head tells me it's low signal then explain how a family memebr 15 miles away has the same issue and the thousands of complaints online with the same issue ? Fix your software comcast and stop passing the buck ! 

call 800-comcast or the dedicated x1 support number 877-896-8678 to set up a service call. the latter number can pull logs from your x1 equipment and see your signal levels. If they say they need to roll a truck it won't be unusual and once fixed you will have good service.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.
Contributor

I am having the same X1 issues. Ever since I had the affinity X1 box installed it’s been nothing but trouble. Several times a week my X1 TV cable box either: freezes, re-programs itself, needs to be reset, etc.

Comcast techs have been to my house 3 times; they have replaced my X1 box, replaced my wiring, replaced the wiring to street pole, and installed a splitter amp. The last time the tech was at my house, he claimed all my levels were OK. This all makes me believe the X1 platform is a piece of junk riddled with design and programming issues. Why does the box have to reprogram itself every day?? I never had any issues with my old Comcast box.

Comcast has a commercial on TV showing satellite dish owners adjusting their dishes because the signal goes out. DirectTV should have a commercial showing X1 owners reprogramming or resetting the X1 box every night. My neighbor has DirectTV and he says he has never had a TV outage for the last 5 months since he switched to dish.

Expert

tacoma5050 wrote:

I am having the same X1 issues. Ever since I had the affinity X1 box installed it’s been nothing but trouble. Several times a week my X1 TV cable box either: freezes, re-programs itself, needs to be reset, etc.

Comcast techs have been to my house 3 times; they have replaced my X1 box, replaced my wiring, replaced the wiring to street pole, and installed a splitter amp. The last time the tech was at my house, he claimed all my levels were OK. This all makes me believe the X1 platform is a piece of junk riddled with design and programming issues. Why does the box have to reprogram itself every day?? I never had any issues with my old Comcast box.

Comcast has a commercial on TV showing satellite dish owners adjusting their dishes because the signal goes out. DirectTV should have a commercial showing X1 owners reprogramming or resetting the X1 box every night. My neighbor has DirectTV and he says he has never had a TV outage for the last 5 months since he switched to dish.

hi tacoma, another customer here. Lots of issues can be worked out within the forum as there are a lot of very experienced volunteer helpers here as well as comcast red-letter-name employees. 

If you would like some assistance on the forum would you mind listing one or two problems, what kind/type of equipment you have that is having the problem? (example: I have a DVR that does not record episodes of "justified').

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

Contributor

Hi Rustyben, I have the RNG-150N X1 xfinity box. It's not a DVR.

When the problem occurs I can view and hear audio of the current channel that the X1 box was last on, but no functions work such as changing the channel or viewing video-on-demand. When I try any of those functions, a msg displays on my screen saying something like "the X1 platform is having an issue and to try later". Last nite during this problem, it also gave an error code of RDK-03032. Sometimes the yellow lite is on solid and the red lite is blinking, sometimes it's not. At that point I need to reset my box by holding in the pwr button for 10 seconds. Last nite I called x1 tech support and asked what the blinking red lite means and what thet error code of rdk-03032 meant, they had no idea on either!!!!!.... why have error codes if they do not help with debug??? And how can the tech NOT have any idea what the blinking red lite means????

I suspect  the blinking red lite means my x1 box is being reset or reprogrammed. If that is the case, why do x1 boxes need to be reprogrammed or reset all the time??? And why not do it at 5am in the morning vs prime-time.

Valued Contributor

tacoma5050 wrote:

Hi Rustyben, I have the RNG-150N X1 xfinity box. It's not a DVR.

When the problem occurs I can view and hear audio of the current channel that the X1 box was last on, but no functions work such as changing the channel or viewing video-on-demand. When I try any of those functions, a msg displays on my screen saying something like "the X1 platform is having an issue and to try later". Last nite during this problem, it also gave an error code of RDK-03032. Sometimes the yellow lite is on solid and the red lite is blinking, sometimes it's not. At that point I need to reset my box by holding in the pwr button for 10 seconds. Last nite I called x1 tech support and asked what the blinking red lite means and what thet error code of rdk-03032 meant, they had no idea on either!!!!!.... why have error codes if they do not help with debug??? And how can the tech NOT have any idea what the blinking red lite means????

I suspect  the blinking red lite means my x1 box is being reset or reprogrammed. If that is the case, why do x1 boxes need to be reprogrammed or reset all the time??? And why not do it at 5am in the morning vs prime-time.

The error code means the connection to the network is lost.

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/x1-errorcode-rdk03032-unable-to-connect-to-xfi...

This can be caused by:

1. Service Outage

2. Bad or Weak Signal Levels

3. Incorrect account code

4. Bad Wiring

Call the X1 hotline

Expert

x1 24/7 tech support is at 877-896-8678. 

Contributor

Hi RadTV and Rustyben, thanks for your help :-)

1. X1 tech support said there was no outage in my area

2. Comcast techs have been to my house 3 times, they claim the signals are fine

3. Not sure about my account code, but I’ve had the x1 box for over 3 months now, I would hope if it’s the account code that either the tech or support would have fixed that by now. How do I tell if it’s the wrong account code?

4. The tech has replaced all wiring from my box to the street pole.

I have called x1 tech support many times. I gave up on them since they don’t know anything; they don’t know what the errors codes mean or what the flashing red light means. All x1 tech support can do is reset my box, and I can do that on my own.  But by that time I have missed 10-20 minutes of my show :-(  

The other nite I called x1 support and told them the red lite was blinking and I asked them if they could tell me why, they said no they can't, all they can do is reset box.

BTW how can someone on this forum know what the x1 error codes mean, but comcast x1 tech support does not??

Expert

tacoma5050 wrote:

3. Not sure about my account code, but I’ve had the x1 box for over 3 months now, I would hope if it’s the account code that either the tech or support would have fixed that by now. How do I tell if it’s the wrong account code?

I have called x1 tech support many times. I gave up on them since they don’t know anything; they don’t know what the errors codes mean or what the flashing red light means. All x1 tech support can do is reset my box, and I can do that on my own.  But by that time I have missed 10-20 minutes of my show :-(  

The other nite I called x1 support and told them the red lite was blinking and I asked them if they could tell me why, they said no they can't, all they can do is reset box.

BTW how can someone on this forum know what the x1 error codes mean, but comcast x1 tech support does not??

re: 03032 whenever we have a system outage I get that number and a frozen image on the TV.

Gold Problem Solver

All you need to do is Google the error codes or punch them into the forum search box. What error code/codes are you seeing?

Have you learned how to check your own signals levels? Care to post the results here?

tacoma5050 wrote:

New Poster

I've had x1 for over a year and it seems to get worse every day.  At the top and bottom of each hour the box freezes for about 10 seconds.  This has occurred since day 1 and it happens every hour of every day.

If that was the only issue I would be able to deal with it but there are so many more headaches.

Sometimes a recorded show will just stop playing and sometimes they won't play at all.  When I try to watch a show on-demand it tells me to try again later.  I'll try a few times a day for a week straight before giving up.   And lastly, when I'm watching a recorded show the box is unresponsive.  I try to fast forward and nothing happens.  So I give up and deal with the commercials.  But then 5 or 10 minutes later it remembers that I wanted to fast forward and away it goes fast forwarding through my show.   And then there are times when the screen goes black or the times when the screen gets pixelated and scrambled. But that usually only happens once or twice a show which is pretty good considering all the issues.

I'm counting down the months until my contract is up and then I'll switch to satellite. 

Gold Problem Solver

Maybe, just maybe you might want to consider getting a tech out to your house to check your signal levels..........

jxchamb wrote:

I've had x1 for over a year and it seems to get worse every day.  At the top and bottom of each hour the box freezes for about 10 seconds.  This has occurred since day 1 and it happens every hour of every day.

If that was the only issue I would be able to deal with it but there are so many more headaches.

Sometimes a recorded show will just stop playing and sometimes they won't play at all.  When I try to watch a show on-demand it tells me to try again later.  I'll try a few times a day for a week straight before giving up.   And lastly, when I'm watching a recorded show the box is unresponsive.  I try to fast forward and nothing happens.  So I give up and deal with the commercials.  But then 5 or 10 minutes later it remembers that I wanted to fast forward and away it goes fast forwarding through my show.   And then there are times when the screen goes black or the times when the screen gets pixelated and scrambled. But that usually only happens once or twice a show which is pretty good considering all the issues.

I'm counting down the months until my contract is up and then I'll switch to satellite.